FURIOUS!! Front desk OKW CM just hung up on me!!

Low pay, high heat and crowds. Everyone can have an off day. Plus Disney can only find a limited number of really happy CMs to hire.

There are just not an unlimited supply of them anymore, anywhere regardless of who the employer is. Sad but true.

Plus and I am only reporting what I have been told by many friends that work Disney resorts, that DVC guests are "way" more demanding than resort guests. Therefore the turnover is high at DVC resorts. Sorry to say we have some bad seeds as members that ruin it for the rest of us.

I was just about to say all of this...thanks, as always, Sammie for saying it so well!

We were at OKW recently and they bent over backwards for us at every turn. So it may just be a hot and busy time and patience levels are low. (Not that this is an excuse, mind you, just a thought for why you may have experienced this.)

We just came back 2 weeks ago (from BWV) and did notice some unhappy CM's too. I wonder what is going on?

We were there 2 weeks ago and both of my teenage DDs commented about how the CMs didn't seem happy this time. And it was true. I tried to just let things go, but it did change the "feel" of this trip for us. We decided that summer was not "magical" for us, and we are sticking with spring break (it was too hot, too many tour groups from Brazil, and the CMs were just not as upbeat as they usually are in March).

We still had a nice trip, and we did have some positive experiences, but over all, there was a definate difference.

DJ

I have a hard time believing that a few posters suggested to the OP that a 2 bedroom does not necessarily have 8 towels, or perhaps she got too many in the first place so they were shorting her. This is absolute nonsense, a 2 bedroom should have 8 towels PERIOD. We've been members for 10 years, guess what, if my towels are in the dryer they still give me a new allotment of whatever number of towels I'm supposed to have on T&T days!

This towel issue is beyond ridiculous. I have my own condo rental & believe me, I give my guests more than the six towels they are required to have & to be completely honest, Marriott timeshares do a far better job in this regard, their towels are nicer & you get more of them... if I can do it and Marriott can do it, then why can't Disney? Seriously... this is just one of those issues I find to be beyond annoying.

Interesting fact about the uniforms. Funny thing is........this particular CM (recreaton coordinator) has 'dull' clothes as well as holes in them!! LOL!! She must not turn her's in for washing and does her own! Anywyas, that did not have a bearing on my trip but was just something that I noticed as it did stand out!
On our Keys to the Kingdom tour in April, they told us that CMs are allowed to do their own laundry if they want to.

I am sorry you encountered such issues. I was also at OKW last week and all the CM's that I dealt with could not have been any nicer or helped me any more, from the friendly check in girl, to the man at the OKW store who asked me everytime I was there how my day was and what I did that day. The man at the concierge desk was very helpful with ticket questions. Also, we had a great conversation with the boat driver to Downtown Disney about how it is to retire to Florida and what a great job it is to work for Disney. I had excellent trash and towel service, and a great room.

Whenever we have stayed @ OKW we have taken extra towels right from the towel cart that is left in the foyer of every building. That's where the CM's get their towels from, too. That being said, we are very low maintenance guests who do our wash ever night, take out our own trash and do our own dishes. :cool2:

I have also taken towels from the carts in the hall.... I agree the towel thing is kind of annoying. I like a new towel everyday when I am on vacation but we tend to do studios which means no washer/dryer in the room.

Hmmm, people are taking towels from the carts and others are getting shorted on their assigned days...anyone see a connection? If they run out of towels, they have to wait until another linen laundry train comes by.

BTW, we've had neighbors "steal" the entire basket of towels that the housekeepers placed outside our door. The housekeepers use those to indicate which units get serviced, so of course, we had to call and explain what happened so we could get our T & T service that day.

The rules are that you need to pay $6 for extra towel packs and call housekeeping.

The point is, it may not be entirely housekeepings fault you aren't getting the proper service...it may also be other members and guests.

We have mousekeeping problems EVERYTIME we go there. We pay for the extra service and never get it. I always have to end up calling to take care of the problem. We even walked in one time and the sofa bed didn't have clean sheets on it. (I can see where that was an oversight, but still.....)

We are not demanding in any way, we always call and are extremely nice, but we still encouter problems. Sometimes it takes a couple of calls before it is fixed.

We are really starting to question our membership anyway. With the way the prices of tickets are going up, and with massive amounts of visitors but not enough room in the parks or shops, it is starting to make us think is it worth it. I think I would still keep my points to use elsewhere, but WDW itself is starting to be not so good in our eyes. And yes, they are cutting back and you can see it in the parks and grounds.

Here is my spill on the situation.

If there is a problem, I will go to the front desk myself in lieu of calling. I tend to get better repose that way.

Mousekeeping.

A few bucks goes a very long way. These people (outsourced or not) have a pretty thankless job. Yes, I know they accepted the job and pay but be that as it may their job probably bites the big one.

I always tip mousekeeping and have had good results. Should I have to? Nope. But I do and I end up getting great service for it.

On more then one occasion I have asked mousekeeping for extra towels, coffee, etc (items that I will be using not taking home for souvenirs) and rewarded them with a 5 spot for their help.

YMMV

I don't collect things I paid extra for as souveniers either. I just expect them to be there, especially since I've paid for the service.

We have always been treated nice by everyone, it's just slow service.

And.....no, we don't tip if it's something that should have been there. Now for extra towels or blankets, etc., yes, we do.

We have mousekeeping problems EVERYTIME we go there. We pay for the extra service and never get it. I always have to end up calling to take care of the problem. We even walked in one time and the sofa bed didn't have clean sheets on it. (I can see where that was an oversight, but still.....)

We are not demanding in any way, we always call and are extremely nice, but we still encouter problems. Sometimes it takes a couple of calls before it is fixed.

We are really starting to question our membership anyway. With the way the prices of tickets are going up, and with massive amounts of visitors but not enough room in the parks or shops, it is starting to make us think is it worth it. I think I would still keep my points to use elsewhere, but WDW itself is starting to be not so good in our eyes. And yes, they are cutting back and you can see it in the parks and grounds.

If I were you and I was really having this much problem EVERYTIME I visit as you stated, I would then I sell as you have described that you are considering.

Vacations are meant for relaxing. It sounds like your trips are getting worse. Why keep going back to somewhere you don't enjoy?

I guess we are lucky. To say that service was perfect 100% of the time on our trips would be a lie, but I bet we are at 98%.

Hope it gets better for you.

Don't get me wrong...I don't go to DW for the hotel service. We stay at the parks all day. I would never sell based on service. There is just a lot starting to irrtate me with Disney, but we still love going there.

And that's the #1 reason I cringe whenever I hear mention of a fifth theme park. That's all we need is for Disney to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel further to find people to staff all of those t-shirt stores, popcorn carts and security checkpoints.

Given the labor situation in the area, Disney is already stretched far too thin in some areas.

We took the Backstage Magic tour in July and were told that with the current management that under no circumstances are there or will there be plans for another ticketed theme park at WDW. The WD Company wants to go more global. They have looked at land in a bunch of countries, all except Russia have slipped my memory. So as far as having to find more CMs for here, it is very unlikely to ever happen.

Disney does not pay enough to get the best of the best when it comes to hiring. They pay between $7.50 and $10.00 an hour. The college program kids get $7.00/hour.

We're just back yesterday with a 12 night 1 BR stay at OKW. The room was not perfect at check in but I've grown accustomed to that as far as someone elses socks left in the laundry room and dust all over the place. Overall the room condition was not great--huge bleach stain on the foot rest in the LR, stains all over the sofa and a pancake of a mattress--old style sofa, not the new ones, fridge was filthy ont he outside--covered in fingerprints and ick--I carry lysol wipes now whenever we go so I wiped it down myself. Pan covers were filthy looked like maybe not cleaned after boiling soup or pasta? I just ran everything through the diswasher. Should I have complained yes, worth the bother not so sure! Anyway I have a purpose here, First full clean was fine and well stocked, Trash and towel day again not a problem all things replaced--now keep in mind I clean for the cleaning people--so all trash is in th ekitchen bag and tied up--I do this dailiy anyway but leave it to be taken out by the CM's on service days--all items are stowed away for ease of vaccuming and dusting as well, etc. Last full clean day no one shows no big deal except we are out of TP. I call housekeeping and they tell me that my scheduled day is for Thursday--Fine but onthe tent sign in the room you have different days listed for Full clean and TT days, and none fo them match the days on my reservation, but now your telling me that Thursday--the day before I check out I get a full cleaning since that is what is printed on my reservation? Obviously I'm confused and really I don't mind except for the TP issue. I simply said I was under the impression that since the other days didn't match my reservation and matched the tented sign in the kitchen instead that the entire vacation would follow that. She was annoyed, offered to have someone bring TP and said I'd have my full cleaning on Thursday--total waste of resources since a full clean would need to be done on Friday as well. On full clean day nothing was left at all, no kleenex, no TP, no laundry soap, no coffee--ticked me off a bit, but I didn't need any of those things for Friday so no complaints. I'm beginnning to think I may be too complacent about things, but who wants to yell on vacation. I wash my own towels daily so no real need for those, but since my dues do cover the T&T as well as the full cleaning I think I should get what I pay for.

We took the Backstage Magic tour in July and were told that with the current management that under no circumstances are there or will there be plans for another ticketed theme park at WDW. The WD Company wants to go more global. They have looked at land in a bunch of countries, all except Russia have slipped my memory. So as far as having to find more CMs for here, it is very unlikely to ever happen.

Disney does not pay enough to get the best of the best when it comes to hiring. They pay between $7.50 and $10.00 an hour. The college program kids get $7.00/hour.

I do remember this now that you have mentioned it. Our tour guide talked for 5 hours, I think. It was very informative. We talked about how low the pay was with the cost of living while on the tour. We have a saying, "you get what you pay for." Maybe it is the same for Disney.

Wow, my 15 yo nephew makes $7.15 per hour, that is really a low wage for such high expectations while "on stage"

We have been here since Sunday. Check in was nothing great!!

T & T was scheduled for Wednesday!!! Never came so I went to front desk Wed. evening to tell them. They said it would come the next day. Did not come on Thursday. I called and still did not get new towels. Called this morning, which is Friday!!

Thanks for letting me vent............off to MK until 3 AM!!!! If I can make it that long!!

Had I been put in that position (my DW would have nagged at me non-stop for 14 hours), I would have:

1) Taken a few from the pool area.
2) In the morning - keep an eye out for Housecleaning - walked up to them with a $5 and explained the dilemna.

I opt for the work-around solution that is less hastle. I know that when I don't get service - it will irk me.

I too am dismayed at some of the the service and some of the things I see while at DVC. I will not describe, in detail, to you what I saw a worker wearing this year (they were clearly DVC). I will only tell you that the NFL has outlawed it as it has gang overtones. My DS and neighbor (17) were like: "Did you see that Dad?". I had noticed it as well.

I posted over two years ago about rude CM's when I parked to "unload" bags at OKW. Some here agreed, others disagree.

To this day I believe that:

1) In that situation I was right.
2) In your situation - you were right (and that it go's to a central number is no excuse).
3) I thought I bought in to a 5 star resort. Uhhhhh - NO. It is 3.75 at best.
4) The rating could come up some, that would require money - and DIS will not part with money easily.
5) Despite being right - sometimes you will never win - dont ruin your vacation.
6) Still love DVC (at 3.75) - will never sell my interest. I live with the problems.

All that said:

1) I think complaints, such as this should be aired.
2) I think it would be great to have yearly: DVC Customer opinion surveys, independent of DVD, and send them to DVC Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly.
3) I feel all of us buy in to this 1960's Walt Utopia thing - and - choose to ignore basic service issues due to the "Magic". Folks, to WDW this is a business. To us "shareholders" it is something different. I am not sure, as a group, we do enough to keep WDW honest. Future sales and attendance depend upon our happiness.

I feel all of us buy in to this 1960's Walt Utopia thing - and - choose to ignore basic service issues due to the "Magic". Folks, to WDW this is a business. To us "shareholders" it is something different. I am not sure, as a group, we do enough to keep WDW honest. Future sales and attendance depend upon our happiness.

Are you speaking of actual shareholders, because to honest investors, it is also a business, not magic.

If you are speaking of DVC owners, we are not shareholders, we simply have a prepaid vacatoin pan, legaly owning a very small part of a resort on leased property. Nothing more, nothing less. The same is true of any leasehold timeshare.

And BTW, Disney has no "5 star" resorts, DVC or cash. ;) Although the plaed Four Seasos resort will likely be a 5 star, provided they can find the employees to staff it in an area with a labor shortage.

Are you speaking of actual shareholders, because to honest investors, it is also a business, not magic.

If you are speaking of DVC owners, we are not shareholders, we simply have a prepaid vacatoin pan, legaly owning a very small part of a resort on leased property. Nothing more, nothing less. The same is true of any leasehold timeshare.

I hear this sentiment shared often on these boards and almost bought into it until it occurred to me...I am not just a leasee, I am a customer of this Disney business. I know that because ...at every checkin/checkout I have a bill above and beyond my leasee responsibilities for trinkets, dining, tickets, boat rides, bike rides etc. It's true, the vacation I have invested in is first to the building and then to it's ongoing maintenance. It's also a non written agreement to spend my vacation dollars at Disney. What other value to me is the building? It's the Disney brand that sells the Magic that makes the whole experience worth investing in. The whole cast members vs employee experience.

I agree with the other poster that as a group of DVC members, we could and should "keep Disney honest". Maintenance of our rooms should be number one and it's ok to ask nicely at first for what we paid for and didn't get. The other magical or non magical experiences we encounter we can also share with Disney as we are as much a customer as someone who doesn't own DVC. We need to stop under valueing (is that a word? you get my point)ourselves and lower our expectations. We can't inflate them either or it takes the power away from our complaints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter