Funny Things we Canadians hear!

I totally agree with SandyinCanada - I had a cousin move to NS almost 6 years ago and we she comes home and we start a conversation we sometimes look at her as if she has grown another head! We cannot understand half the things she is saying!

So it happens in our own country too!

Hi,

I have a couple of favorites and most are from people I have spoken with at WDW. I was chatting with a lovely older couple from Kentucky while waiting for the Friendship at MGM one afternoon. The lady after a bit asked me what part of England I was from. She knew a lot about the U.K. but couldn’t place my accent. *I still can’t hear an accent no matter how hard I try). I told her I was from Toronto Canada. Her husband thought that was very interesting and asked if Toronto was a big town. I said that it was pretty big… fifth largest city in North America. The gentleman laughed and said that was nice but I was mistaken. He then informed me that the United States was part of North America so it was not possible for the fifth largest city to be in Canada. I must have my continents confused.

A little later on in the week I was chatting with a young couple and I believe they were from Florida because they said they were close enough to come down every month or so. Anyway, we got to chatting about our dogs and the husband asked what kind mine was. I said that Chessa was a Siberian Husky. The wife hit her husband playfully and laughed, “Dear, of course it’s a Husky, those are the only dogs they have up there because it is so cold… really dear.”

I also got a little giggle one other time when I mentioned, while down at WDW again, that I had had the opportunity to meet the Queen… well, just see her up close really when she came for a tour of my workplace the month previous. It was pretty exciting I thought. We chatted about other things for a while and as I was leaving he added… “Well, I hope you guys get your independence soon…”

Last one! I am in broadcasting and often get calls from the States, mostly NPR stations requesting facilities or the services of technicians up here for interviews etc. I got a call from NPR in Sacramento wanting me to send someone to Banff. I explained that he was calling Toronto and that I was looking for a station in Alberta who could assist him. He stopped me and said he preferred to deal with Toronto… didn’t mind paying a bit of mileage but we had to have somewhat out there by 2pm. It was 11:30 am and I couldn’t resist telling him that he would have a much better chance of getting there himself by 2pm! I’m bad… I talked him into letting me send a reporter from Calgary.

AND just to make things fair I am going to admit that I only found out this year that they do not have boxing day in the States…

Ya'll have to know this goes both ways, right? I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, which is in the southern U.S. my hubby and i love Canada, particularly Montreal. Once when we were there are a business trip I had several hours to "play" at the mall. I guess I look Canadian, because every sales person spoke French to me,then quickly switched to English(In my part of the country, Spanish is much more useful than French; therfore I do not speak French.) The questions they would ask me (I'm not making these up!):

"Do you live on a plantation?" (I admit, we get this from people in the U.S. too. Too much Gone With The Wind)

"Do you know any of the Braves?" (No, do you?)

"Does it ever get cold in Georgia?" (Well, it was 15 degrees last week.)

"Don't you get hot in Georgia?" (Only when the air conditioning breaks down.)

"Do you own a gun?" (Yes. a big one.)

"Do you keep hunting dogs?" (Only my poodle. We shot our Boston Terrier just kidding...)

"You have such a strange/weird/pleasant/funny accent. Say something!"(Thank you. You're obnoxious.)

We in the South really are pleasant people, but the media sometimes paints us all as though we were The BEverly Hillbillies or Dukes of Hazzard. I promise not to ask if you drive a dogsled, if you will not treat me like I'm an idiot just because I stumbled across the border (which way is it again?...)

Cathy--got some Canadian dollars burning a hole in my pocket

minkydog said:
Ya'll have to know this goes both ways, right? I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, which is in the southern U.S. my hubby and i love Canada, particularly Montreal. Once when we were there are a business trip I had several hours to "play" at the mall. I guess I look Canadian, because every sales person spoke French to me,then quickly switched to English(In my part of the country, Spanish is much more useful than French; therfore I do not speak French.) The questions they would ask me (I'm not making these up!):

"Do you live on a plantation?" (I admit, we get this from people in the U.S. too. Too much Gone With The Wind)

"Do you know any of the Braves?" (No, do you?)

"Does it ever get cold in Georgia?" (Well, it was 15 degrees last week.)

"Don't you get hot in Georgia?" (Only when the air conditioning breaks down.)

"Do you own a gun?" (Yes. a big one.)

"Do you keep hunting dogs?" (Only my poodle. We shot our Boston Terrier just kidding...)

"You have such a strange/weird/pleasant/funny accent. Say something!"(Thank you. You're obnoxious.)

We in the South really are pleasant people, but the media sometimes paints us all as though we were The BEverly Hillbillies or Dukes of Hazzard. I promise not to ask if you drive a dogsled, if you will not treat me like I'm an idiot just because I stumbled across the border (which way is it again?...)

Cathy--got some Canadian dollars burning a hole in my pocket
You are absolutely correct Cathy..it does work both ways.
Although,to be honest its is a bit more one way than the other.
As for your first example....Most folk in Quebec will speak to you in French first ,then in English (if they are in a good mood! :D
I think it is suffice to say that when a visitor from another country has little or no knowledge about you home country,it can a bit frustarting and annoying to the extent where you perhaps reply with a sarcastic remark.

minkydog said:
I promise not to ask if you drive a dogsled, if you will not treat me like I'm an idiot just because I stumbled across the border (which way is it again?...)

Bah, thats just Quebec, ignore them, we do, LOL

I had to laugh when I read someone say "still can't hear (my) Cdn accent, no matter how hard I try"...of course you can't, because you're used to it!

The "oots and aboots" you are NOT hearing are being heard by Americans as very definite "oots and aboots"! Trust me on this, it's very strong. (As a well-travelled business guy across Canada and US I can nail down US accents to their individual states, if not cities!)

Other dead giveaways in the Cdn accent are the words "sorry" and "pasta" (explained on an earlier post), and of course, "eh". Plus, there's some strange (to Americans) word plays...the phrase "at all" I hear in Canada pronounced "a tall"...Also, certain vocabulary notes are worth mentioning..."supper" in Canada becomes "dinner" in the US; washroom/bathroom in Canada, restroom in the US - restroom seems so much more civilized; "highways" in Canada, "routes" in the US - this one has always amused me...the highway is meant to refer to the physical road (the asphalt etc...)...the route is what should be numbered and what should be discussed to take you somewhere (i.e. Follow Rt 401 from Toronto to Windsor ...not Highway 401!!)

I have the general sense that you mix in about one-third of a British accent with a generic midwestern American accent...poof you get a Cdn accent! Make that two-thirds British when you're in Nova Scotia and other eastern provinces.

Happy New Year

jersey shark said:
washroom/bathroom in Canada, restroom in the US - restroom seems so much more civilized;

jersey shark, I don't know about you...but I would prefer NOT to sleep in the bathroom, unless of course thats what you guys do in Jersey :earseek:
For someone who states he does a lot of business in Canada you seem to always 'knock it'. How about joining in the fun, in fun, if you catch my drift!!
Now for my pick on fun words heard in New Jersey:
CAAW-FEE for coffee and BUDDAH for butter

Have a Happy New Year to All of you, you all!! :laughing:

jersey shark said:
The "oots and aboots" you are NOT hearing are being heard by Americans as very definite "oots and aboots"! Trust me on this, it's very strong. (As a well-travelled business guy across Canada and US I can nail down US accents to their individual states, if not cities!)

Ok, this aboot thing drives me nuts, lol....exactly what provinces do you hear this in cause its certainly not MB, SK, AB, BC or Ont. (These are the provinces I frequent). We pronounce it about (abowt, I guess). Maybe its a french pronounciation?

I use both supper or dinner, supper informally, dinner formally as in making dinner reservations.

Never heard of a-tall either, only at all.

We were in England once and I used the term restroom, bathroom, washroom and all I received was a blank stare until I finally said, I have to pee, lol...she laughed and said ohhhhh, "The Toilet"...duh, never even thought of that one, lol.

When I watch American movies I don't pick up any accent because they sound identical to how I sound (other than the extremes like southern accents) if they pronounced words differently, my ears would pick that up so I guess I'm still confused about this so called generic "Canadian accent".

I have the general sense that you mix in about one-third of a British accent with a generic midwestern American accent...poof you get a Cdn accent! Make that two-thirds British when you're in Nova Scotia and other eastern provinces.

I had to show DH that one since he is from England...he laughed and said more like Scottish mixed in with a twang, lol. DD's SO and family (from NS)sound like cowboys to me, lol...when he first called here I thought he was an American, honestly lol.

I'm taking this thread all in fun, hopefully everyone else is too. :)

We were recently in California. Everyone assumed we were Californian. We sounded the same as the majority of folks there. Hey, we were even told that we didn't look Canadian!

...but I merely wanted to point out that it works both ways (with Canada, with the South, and now allow me to share some my favorite comments I've heard about New Jersey in Canada)

a) "Do you have a gun?" (Answer: No)

b) "On The Sopranos, some neighborhoods really look poor" (Good source of info!!!...meanwhile, NJ just passed CT to become the wealthiest state based on per capita income)

c) I don't like New Jersey...I've seen the Sopranos, and it looks ugly (a common misperception...even for the rest of the US...mostly due to the routing of the NJ Tpke which happens to pass by some chemical plants and oil storage tanks)...meanwhile the rolling hills of western NJ, the pinelands in the south, the shore, all are fondly thought of when "trapped" on the 401 - especially between Windsor & London!)

d) (upon hearing that I often take the family on summer weekends to the "shore", Jersey-speak for "ocean" or "beach",)...you have beaches in New Jersey???
(meanwhile, almost all of coastal New Jersey is pristine, fine white sand beach...each town with its own flavor...there are family beach towns, there are college beach towns (wild) and there are boardwalk-laden amusement park type beach towns...in fact many Canadians apparently come down to Wildwood, NJ and take over the town every summer I'm told.

e) What's your big city in New Jersey? (Uhh, that would be New York City - a 45 minute drive from most of us in North Jersey!!!)

BUT, this is all fine and amusing more than anything....I don't seriously mind these misunderstandings...here's my "big picture synopsis" of this thread...(same concept from an earlier post stated another way)

Canada is simply not on the radar screen of most Americans the way that America is on the average Canadians' radar screen. This is not optimal, agreed, but it's just the way it is (and there are very good reasons for this...America's leadership position in the free world partly explains it, but I think I'd have to move to another board to go further.)

Happy New Year!

jersey shark said:
Canada is simply not on the radar screen of most Americans the way that America is on the average Canadians' radar screen. This is not optimal, agreed, but it's just the way it is (and there are very good reasons for this...America's leadership position in the free world partly explains it, but I think I'd have to move to another board to go further.)

Happy New Year!

Oh puh-lease, :rolleyes: or its the fact that we are educated in grade school about America AND other Countries.

And I won't even comment on Americas perceived leadership position. You've just changed the whole lightheartedness of this thread but I think you already know that. Your obviously trying to start something here and I, for one, am not playing.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
and that the 401 is the most boring highway I've ever driven on.) (That being said, after driving the 401, I now know that Speed, Tailgating, Drunk Driving, and Fatigue can kill me, and that I'll get "1 demerit point" if I get caught going 120 in a 100 zone)

LOL!

We just went up and down the 401 a couple of times during Xmas holidays!
The things you learn on the 401 :rolleyes: :D

So I'll make you a deal said:
You should have said, "If ya'll stop saying ya'll" LOL!

Problem is you can't stop saying ya'll. It creeps into your vocabulary like a nasty virus.
You should hear me now - "Let's all go "ooot and abooot" (out and about), y'all"! :D :D

QUOTE"But I agree with you, I never understood the "aboot" thing. I've never heard anyone say aboot for about. Hmmm, my DD just moved to NS and they have pretty strong accents there, maybe its from there?? lol, will have to listen to her SO better." UNQUOTE

I didn't understand the "aboot" thing either until I moved here. I actually pronounce it that way :eek:
I just about fell over when I heard the word come out of my mouth!
I guess you really can't hear our Canadian accents until you are away!

jersey shark said:
This is not optimal, agreed, but it's just the way it is (and there are very good reasons for this...America's leadership position in the free world partly explains it, but I think I'd have to move to another board to go further.)

All I can say is: all the kids on the playground know the bully, but not every bully knows all the kids.

Sandyincanada is right, you always seem to want to pick a fight on these boards. If you can't play nice with other kids, than maybe you shouldn't play at all!

Thank you to everyone for this great, fun thread and for recognizing that it is just that, a fun thread. Let's keep it that way and keep the fun rolling :Pinkbounc

Sorry about all the posts, but I was reading through the thread and answering as I went along.....(ooops how Canadian of me to apologise LOL!)

My comments:

The US is a very insular country - which is OK. They do however teach some world geography in school here in Georgia. DD has been here since the first grade (grade one :D ) They study CANADA in grade one. Let's just say that I helped out the teacher some during that unit, and all the neighbours call on us for info on Canada when their kids hit the first grade.

The best was in DD's class the kids had to write a information fact on Canada. The teacher really didn't want to have to look up the information herself to see if it was correct so she ask me to check them. One child wrote, "London is a city in Canada and it rains a lot"
I told her they were half right - London is in Canada (she didn't know) and I said it doesn't really rain a lot (the child was referring to London, England)

This term DS will study Canada, and I've already stocked up on Canadian things and will make Butter Tarts for the class too!

BTW - DD also learned about England, Japan and Australia in 2nd grade.
She is now in 4th grade, and boy does she know a lot about Georgia history, and the original colonies in the US!

I hope y'all had a great new year (it was sunny and 70F here today!)
Y&K - oot and aboot in Jawjah! :D

I think some people say foolish things, no matter where they are from. I, a Canadian, was in a store in Canada, and I asked the sales clerk if they accepted American Express. Her reply? You guessed it. "No, we only take Canadian Express." I'm still laughing over that one.

I'm still on a fact finding mission on which province says "aboot" instead of "about (abowt), lol......soooo, which province were you living in, Y & K?

I'm sure we all have our own ways of saying certain words and in Canada, to my ear, I hear French accents, Maritime accents and then everyone else sounds the same, lol. But I have never heard anyone say "aboot", well unless they are discussing boots as in shoes. I even asked DH who has a british accent and he said he hears "abowwt".

So, c'mon people., fess up.....who says aboot? lol

Sandyincanada said:
I'm still on a fact finding mission on which province says "aboot" instead of "about (abowt), lol......soooo, which province were you living in, Y & K?

I'm sure we all have our own ways of saying certain words and in Canada, to my ear, I hear French accents, Maritime accents and then everyone else sounds the same, lol. But I have never heard anyone say "aboot", well unless they are discussing boots as in shoes. I even asked DH who has a british accent and he said he hears "abowwt".

So, c'mon people., fess up.....who says aboot? lol
I agree...I've never heard anyone say aboot !!
I would guess that if it is said anywhere.....it would be in the Maritimes (what with the Scottish and Irish influence).
I know myself (being originally from Scotland),that in the "non-city" parts of the country you may find the word pronounced that way.
As for Vancouver,Calgary,Toronto,Montreal (English speaking group)....I can't hear much of a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter