• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Funny Article about People on Disney Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed a laugh this afternoon, and could recall similar riders as some of the examples given!

The Disney busses are the only way to go for us, as it is usually only me and my 11yo DS. We have no desire to leave Disney property, so it makes no sense to rent a car. We use the Magical Express, busses, boats or monorail to get where we want to be, and I appreciate that transportation is available.

BUT, I always have a strange feeling when I'm on the bus and it happens trip after trip. Remember that scene from 'Saturday Night Fever' when Travolta is riding the subway to his dance partners' apartment (I think it was after the scene on the bridge, or another one when something bad had happened)? He looks like a beaten man? I have had that feeling on the bus over and over; not of being beaten down, but maybe just worn down, lol!

Isn't that weird, that I would think of that at WDW, of all places??? Can't explain it...Maybe it's just a Travolta thing.

Lisa

Conversely, there have been times that I've offered my seat to elderly gentlemen (either on the subway or the bus here in NYC), and they've snapped at me saying, "I'm not that old!"

;)

I agree 100%. To offer your seat for no other reason than you are male and I am female is sexist.

No, it is just common manners, and especially at walt disney world where the mom's are more often than not having young children.

I'm not saying you make a big deal out of it or act like you are captain chivalry or something, I am saying it is just common decency.

You know I used to do this (since it was what my parents taught me to do) but have since been put in my place by a lady who apparently thought that by getting up to offer her a seat (and she had a small child with her) must have thought I was a caveman and was wondering why she was at Disney and not in the kitchen so I hesitate to do it anymore. So hard sometimes to know the right thing to do!:goodvibes

You did the right thing - all you can do is shrug and smile and say "hey I was just being nice" - you can't help it if you are being nice and someone else has such a chip on their shoulder that they can't take that for what it's worth. That's her issue, not yours, you were just being decent. You'd make the same offer for a man with a young child, but the lady can't see that, and so assumes your the sexist when really you are just trying to be polite and kind. Some people want to live in a world where people treat each other nicely, other people aren't willing to.

I'd rather someone think I was being "sexist" by being nice and having manners, than for everyone else to think I was ornery for being rude.

You did the right thing - all you can do is shrug and smile and say "hey I was just being nice" - you can't help it if you are being nice and someone else has such a chip on their shoulder that they can't take that for what it's worth. That's her issue, not yours, you were just being decent. You'd make the same offer for a man with a young child, but the lady can't see that, and so assumes your the sexist when really you are just trying to be polite and kind. Some people want to live in a world where people treat each other nicely, other people aren't willing to.

I'd rather someone think I was being "sexist" by being nice and having manners, than for everyone else to think I was ornery for being rude.

:thumbsup2 Yes, the problem is most people don't understand what is being nice these days since they see rudeness all around them. So, when it is presented to them they are not able to process it. I grew up in the south where manners were ingrained in us but moved up north and found that people behaved completely differently. But the kicker is when I go to another country like Greece to visit my husband's family. There people behave completely differently. What they consider to be ettiquette is not the same as what we consider it to be.

You might not "expect" it but many Southern men (and I can only speak for these) will feel *VERY* uncomfortable sitting while women and children are standing. So take the seat with a smile if we offer and everyone's happy ... :-)

Thanks again, but I would politely decline.

My husband (Who is not Southern) will always offer his seat also, especially to older women. Kids, not so much though. Smaller ones usually sit in a Moms lap and older ones usually like to stand. It's an adventure for them.

So being a Rigid Riser is a sin now? Wifey and I were watching 'Titanic' last night, and I'm certain that if that ship were to go down now instead of 99 years ago, the ratio of male to female survivors would be radically different.

Bill From PA

So being a Rigid Riser is a sin now? Wifey and I were watching 'Titanic' last night, and I'm certain that if that ship were to go down now instead of 99 years ago, the ratio of male to female survivors would be radically different.

Bill From PA

Okay thats funny because we were just talking about this over dinner with friends last night. It would be a way different ratio

Thanks for the interest in my 'Bus Beast' article!

Next week it's the 'Buffet Buffoon'. And for those who missed it, the series debut dealt with the dreaded 'Turned Around Tot' (for which I'd love to provide a link but it seems that first I need to accumulate 10 or more posts...).

Don't forget to write an article on "Tourist Teasers," those self-appointed arbiters of theme park behavior...

Conversely, there have been times that I've offered my seat to elderly gentlemen (either on the subway or the bus here in NYC), and they've snapped at me saying, "I'm not that old!"

;)

Well, then, you were polite, and they were rude -- unless they were smiling broadly while saying it, then they were just trying to be funny.

Yeah, I can't fathom assuming anyone who would offer their seat to me as being "sexist". I almost always decline it (unless I've got the kids with me), but I still appreciate the offer - because it is someone who's being kind and putting another person before themselves. Even for just a small thing like a seat on the bus.

I try and offer my seat when it looks like someone needs it - I don't even consider the gender. I feel quite confident that when a gentleman offers his seat to me for no other reason than my being female, it has nothing to do with whether or not that man thinks I'm incapable of standing or less of a human being, just that they were taught that was a nice thing to do for a lady. Its a gesture of respect.

Modern feminism has taught our females that any help at all from a male is a sign of being "weaker" than said sex.

If you are offended by a man offering his seat, that says much more about you than the person offering.

Modern feminism has taught our females that any help at all from a male is a sign of being "weaker" than said sex.

If you are offended by a man offering his seat, that says much more about you than the person offering.

Oh I totally agree!
I would like to go on record saying that even though I may decline the seat, I will VERY much appreciate the thought.

All young boys should be raised to be chivalrous, too many people these days are so confused about what the feminist movement was really about that they are neglecting to raise their boys properly.

Oh I totally agree!
I would like to go on record saying that even though I may decline the seat, I will VERY much appreciate the thought.

All young boys should be raised to be chivalrous, too many people these days are so confused about what the feminist movement was really about that they are neglecting to raise their boys properly.

Well said. I think you're exactly right that the feminist movement is pretty misunderstood or misinterpreted at best.

I would never expect a man to offer his seat to me just because I am a woman. If I want to sit, I'll wait for the next bus.
I agree.
On the same note, I would never think that I needed to get up to give someone else my seat. If they want to sit, they can also wait for the next bus.

From the article:
unaware that they're turning our magical moment into a miserable memory
I understand that this was written with humor in mind, but I would never let someone else's behavior turn my fun and enjoyment into something miserable. The memories I would hold would be, remember that idiot that did _________________ when we were at Disney World? and we'd get a laugh over it.

I had a guy that I got into a confrontation with on a cruise one time, and I didn't let him ruin my vacation. I remember the event, of course, but when I think about it or share it, it is a laughing matter where I wonder how someone could be that angry and miserable when they are on vacation. I feel sorry for the poor jerk and his family.

I would not think that a man offering me a seat just because I am a woman thinks less of me, what a nonsence. I would think that this is how he was raised and I would appreciate offer but will decline, esp. if man is older then me. In no way I would ever expect someone to give me a seat just because I am a woman and I do not care if I am the only standing woman on a bus with all seats taken by men. I also believe that everyone in Disney has a chance to wait for another bus and everyone, including young men and boys just as tired as anyone else and does not need to have any hidden disability to justify why he is not offering his seat. Riding buses in Disney is very different from riding them every day to commute to work. People cannot wait for another bus back home, people can wait another 10-15 or even 20 min to guarantee yourself a seat, esp. if you have young kids with you.

Just to set the record straight, my definition of a 'Rigid Riser' isn't someone who gets up to offer his seat to a female but someone who, upon offering it and being rejected, won't sit back down.

Whenever I'm seated on a full bus and see someone I think needs a seat, I offer it to them. Not because they're female but because they look tired or otherwise seem in 'need'. Mostly, my offer is taken, with thanks; when it's not taken, no big deal, I sit back down and forget about it.

I wouldn't call it chivalry. It's more like a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter