• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FUN way to tell kids "We're going to Disney!"

bostonberry

Earning My Ears
Originally we thought we'd tell 'em the day or day prior. Now considering telling out girls, 4 and 7 YO, on the 5 year olds bday in March. We're actually going in May :goodvibes

I'm a big fan for telling the kids before hand. Half of the fun of a vacation is the anticipation of the vacation. We told our kids on Christmas day. We leave Jan. 26th. So they had a month to get all excited. I think telling yours in March will be a good time to tell them.

I'm a big fan for telling the kids before hand. Half of the fun of a vacation is the anticipation of the vacation. We told our kids on Christmas day. We leave Jan. 26th. So they had a month to get all excited. I think telling yours in March will be a good time to tell them.

I agree!

Have fun OP!

Originally we thought we'd tell 'em the day or day prior. Now considering telling out girls, 4 and 7 YO, on the 5 year olds bday in March. We're actually going in May :goodvibes

We had the same plan last year... but once the trip was paid at the 45 day mark I just could not hold it in any longer! We put together a scavenger hunt with things like "Where do you sit when you wait for the bus?" Then I placed the next clue at the location. We added a 4 foot tall Mickey balloon in the shed and he was holding the last clue. It was fun!

IF we go this year, I have promised DH that we can surprise them the day before or the same day. We are thinking of asking them where they wanted to go for Spring Break and "writing" all those on pieces of paper and adding them to a hat, then letting each one pick a place. (I will only really write Walt Disney World on the slip!).

We had the same plan last year... but once the trip was paid at the 45 day mark I just could not hold it in any longer! We put together a scavenger hunt with things like "Where do you sit when you wait for the bus?" Then I placed the next clue at the location. We added a 4 foot tall Mickey balloon in the shed and he was holding the last clue. It was fun!

IF we go this year, I have promised DH that we can surprise them the day before or the same day. We are thinking of asking them where they wanted to go for Spring Break and "writing" all those on pieces of paper and adding them to a hat, then letting each one pick a place. (I will only really write Walt Disney World on the slip!).

LOVE the "pick from a hat" idea! That's really cute!

You should meet my oldest. Your "anticipation is half the fun" theory, he doesn't fit into that mold. I wish he did. That child, he is AWFUL. Anticipation is torture. Cruel, inhumane torture.

We aren't telling our kids until we are leaving town. We have it all planned out. My brother is going to come over, and we are going to go out to dinner. While at dinner, we are going to start talking about vacations we've been on, and the fact that we didn't have a big vacation in 2012 (saving for Disney). On the way home, someone is going to say that we should go on a big vacation (no destinations will be said). Someone else will say that we really should, then someone will say that we should do it. We will then all agree that we will do it. When we get back to the house, husband will watch the kids while my mom and I go to "pack" (basically we will be getting the already packed suitcases out of hiding). We will give the kids their car bags and tell them to pack some stuff to play with in the car. After the kids are ready, we are going to load up the van and pack the kids in. Then we are just going to sit there for a minute and someone will ask where we are going to go. I will then look at my oldest and ask him where he wants to go. If he could go absolutely anywhere in the United States, where would he want to go. He will say Disney, because he's obsessed with the idea of going there. When he says Disney, I will say "Disney World it is!" and we will start driving. I can't wait to see how far we get before he realizes we are REALLY going to Disney World.

We have done both. Surprised them at the airport (yup, kids are so trusting when they are young), thought they were going to school late.:lmao::lmao: Other trips they knew. If we are pulling them out of school, I prefer to wait as late as possible because DD gets pretty distracted by it and loses focus. I am planning a secret Aug trip and even the wife has no idea. Should be fun.:cool1:

You should meet my oldest. Your "anticipation is half the fun" theory, he doesn't fit into that mold. I wish he did. That child, he is AWFUL. Anticipation is torture. Cruel, inhumane torture.

This is absolutely one of my boys!! I can't even tell him when my sister and nephew come to visit because he can't handle waiting!!

We are doing a scavenger hunt on the morning we are leaving, I need to wait Neil after they have breakfast or they won't eat because of the excitement.
The last clue will lead them to the closet that has their Buzz suitcases in it - they know that those cases are their carry-ons - and I am making them "I'm going to WDW today" T-shirts that I will put inside

I can't wait!!

Our kids would drive us absolutely insane if we told them beforehand. The youngest does not have the concept of time figured out. They will be 4 and 6 in a month. We went to the library the other night and I secretly checked out a kids book about airplanes. My plan is to read them the book, then ask them if they want to go on an airplane. Of course they will say yes and I'll say, "let's go!". We will have the car packed up and ready to go. They are going to freak out. We plan to record it all. We are leaving exactly one week from today!

Fwiw, Disney trips have been a big part in helping DS learn about time and months passing, etc. since we homeschool and I've never been much good at creating a strong schedule, it has been a great way to help him learn! Countdown chains were brilliant when he was 4 and 5.

here in a few weeks im doing a countdown chain. my oldest made one in school for christmas and my DS and DD had a blast taking a chain link off every day. i am just going to tell them its a countdown to when daddy comes home. :goodvibes he works in the oil industry and is out of town for 3 months at a time. we are taking off the next morning after DS's last day of school. DH will be home sometime on the last day of school. then we are going to wake up very early in the morning and drive to from kansas to iowa to pick up my BFF. then down to Alanta, Ga. for our overnight stop. when we wake up in the morning to head down to Fl. thats when we are going to tell the kids! we are going to give them their own shirts that says Im going to Disney! if i tell them (esp. my 4 yr old!) that we are going to disney before our first overnight, once we arrive in Alanta, Ga to stay the night, she will be so upset and start crying saying she wants to go to Mickey.

We are heading out there in late February. Told the kids about 10 days ago, and we are glad we did. My son has anxiety issues around fireworks, etc., so we have been able to talk with him about alot of the rides and fireworks and look online at youtube videos etc. He is now agreeing to try out quite a few that he otherwise would not have if we would have told them right before we are going. The only wrinkle is that as of now, our kids think we are going about a week later than we actually are. So we will still surprise them the day we leave (this is to avoid the anticipation from interfering with school work in the days immediately preceding).

So the way we told them was we put together a slide show from our prior 2 visits. We went 5 years ago was when my oldest was just turning 3; the second was just a 1 day trip when we were in FL for something else; that is the only time my youngest (not 5) has been.

The slide show has pictures from prior visits and is set to "When You Wish Upon a Star" - at the end, we edited some pictures to basically announce the trip. The kids have watched that video about 20 times since then, showing it to everyone that comes over and also taking it with them!

We told our kids before Christmas when my in-laws were visiting (they are paying for the trip). I got a huge box and wrapped it up like a present with a big bow. When they opened the box, balloons floated up to the ceiling and attached was a letter from Mickey and Minnie saying "Surprise! You are going to Disney World". Attached to another balloon was a countdown chain I made from Mickey scrapbook paper. In the bottom of the box were their boutique shirts for each day we are at the parks along with a new toothbrush (Cars for DS and Princess for DD) and an activity book for the plane. Since DD is 6 and can read, she was so excited and jumping up and down. DS, who is 3, was a little confused, but excited about the balloons. I can't imagine them knowing for longer than a couple months. That's years in kid-time! We are super excited to be leaving this week!!!:hyper:

We are going in June this year and have not told the kids. I like to wait until about a month out because my kids drive me crazy, their teachers crazy, strangers crazy, etc leading up to a trip they are so excited.

We are staying at Coronado Springs so I thought it might be fun to announce the trip on Cinco de Mayo with a Mexican Dinner and a movie that fits the theme. My plan is to get a new Disney T-shirt and wrap it up for each kid (already have the perfect mickey head wrapping paper) and include a note announcing the trip.

Our last trip was a Christmas present and I got a giant helium balloon and stuck it under a wrapped gift under the tree on Christmas Eve. They always ask to open a gift that night and naturally they went for the big one. The balloon rose up out of the box with a note attached and was anchored down with Mickey Ears. They jumped up and down and gave the perfect response - but then went back to see what else was in the box. A trip to Disney is it, you stinkers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter