fun time

Joeanne, it was a good question, better to know now then later, and I don't think you offended anyone. As for Clara, I don't believe that anyone who answered this post said anything about there being a problem with the body in its natural state, that being said, there is a time and a place for everything. Sure there are other countries and societies where people being in their "natural state", is the norm, but lets face it, it is not here in the U.S. If I were on vacation with my husband without my child, I MIGHT try it, I really don't know, but I do know, that I wouldn't want my 9 year old to think that it was ok to whip off your top and show your "b o o b i e s" (lol), whenever there was a beach around. Personally, I'm not ok with adults being semi-nude around children, I'm just not comfortable with that and I'm far from prude. But if anyone is cool with that and with their children being around it, more power to ya. Enough said. :thewave:

ClarabelleCow said:
Okay - I have to ask, and I am far from being a liberal. But what is up with this board and the human body in the natural state??? Why are parents so concerned about their children seeing topless women? For example, Orient Beach on St. Maarten, there will be naked people, this will not scar children for life. I think we are one of the few nations with this hangup of the naked body. Doesn't most of Europe have co-ed bathrooms, topless or nude beaches, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, there is a big difference between someone sunbathing topless and lewd behavior. I am by no means condoning lewd behavior. And I am by no means that it would be acceptable to walk around a DCL ship topless. I don't know, I spent many vacations on the beaches of St. Maarten, topless was the norm, some naked, (I don't partake), just looked at it as thats what people do. My kids now 5 and 12, same thing, they see the naked people doing their morning walks, they don't even bat an eye. We don't parade around the house nude, but we don't want the kids to think the body is something to hid and be ashamed of either. I think the parents seem to make more of a big deal out of it. As far as thongs, I think they look totally ridiculous, but to each his own. When going to Portugal (spent a month there), most women were in two piece bathing suits, whether they were 100 pounds or 400 pounds. They weren't there to impress anything, that is just what they wear to the beach!

I wouldnt have a problem with topless people except for the fact that most of the people that go topless really shouldnt. YUCK! If you know what I mean. : :sick:

fairytalelover said:
I wouldnt have a problem with topless people except for the fact that most of the people that go topless really shouldnt. YUCK! If you know what I mean. : :sick:

I read through this thread without comment until I got to this last post. I don't know what you mean. Are you saying only those with beautiful, perfect bodies are allowed to go topless? And the rest of us have to cover everything up? Who would decide who should or shouldn't?

georgina said:
I don't know what you mean. Are you saying only those with beautiful, perfect bodies are allowed to go topless? And the rest of us have to cover everything up? Who would decide who should or shouldn't?

I will gladly volunteer for that job. :wave2:

joeanne said:
We are planning a cruise in Oct. I was wondering on the adult deck is it ok if i go topless. I know it a family ship but was wondering if grownups could do that any help would be great thanks.

Please post a photo and we'll vote on it!

jrabbit said:
If you have 2005 Daily Dilbert Calendar look on these days in February: 11, 12, and 14. :smooth:

But I thought that was just for glass-walled conference rooms ?

Pacha

Is part of the beach on the "French Riviera beach rendezvous" excursion in St Maarten topless?

basically every beach on the island is topless, but more so on the French side thanthe Dutch, but Orient is a Clothing Optional beach, so you will have nude bathers there as well.

I've only had a Navigator's Verandah (which is inclosed a bit) so I am not sure about the regular balconies, but if you get sun on your balcony, you might be able to sun topless there. I am not sure if you can be seen from other parts of the ship there!

No, clothing ISN'T optional on Disney Cruise Line.

However, my first cruise, back in 1980, on the French Cruise Line Paquet, on the Mermoz, women did sunbath without tops in the "solarium".
It was a 2 week Caribbean cruise but there was a far different atmosphere on that ship. It was a French company, running a French ship, primarily for French passengers. Out of 450 on board, 400 were from France, only 1 was under the age of 18 (he was 3), and about 300 were over the age of 65.
And YES, some of the over 65 year old women were topless.
Other differences included complimentary all you could drink French wine with lunch and dinner...(guess it's sort of like the Beverage Station and free soda on Disney now!!) and for some reason, if you ordered a Screwdriver from the bar, they made it with Grapefruit juice, not Orange Juice. Guy in our group even ordered Orange Juice with a shot of Vodka in it, and the bartender said, oh a screwdriver....and proceeded to make it with Grapefruit juice!! Not sure if that's a French tradition, or a qwirk of the bar staff on the ship.
But heck, I was 22, single, and working for a TV magazine show....so not only was the cruise free, but I was getting paid to be there. This was at the peak of the Love Boat's popularity, so we did a week of shows from the ship. And by today's standards, this was an expensive cruise, my accomadations would have cost me $5000 for the two weeks. That's in 1980 dollars not including air fare, and there were no tips because tips are not a part of the French culture.

shmoogrrrl said:
I've only had a Navigator's Verandah (which is inclosed a bit) so I am not sure about the regular balconies, but if you get sun on your balcony, you might be able to sun topless there. I am not sure if you can be seen from other parts of the ship there!

Generally speaking, people can not see you on your private verandah except for the person in the next cabin should they stand at the rail of their verandah. The doors to the verandah are plenty loud enough that I think you would be "safe" trying to sunbath topless on your verandah if perhaps you keep a towel handy to cover up when you hear someone coming.

The bigger problem with trying to tan from your private verandah is that the sun has to be "just right". The deck above you will shade you from the noon time sun, and obviously the whole ship will shade you when the sun is "on the other side" of the ship. But the whole ship will also shade you any time of the day if he ship is sailing towards the sun or away from the sun.

And of course the sun isn't going to tan you very much as it dips low in the sky in the late afternoon.

So over all, I would estimate that you would have on average one hour of sun light per day to tan from your verandah, and that one hour very well might occur during a time you are interested in other activities.

shmoogrrrl said:

Depends where on the ship you are too....our first cruise we were all the way aft and the people above us could just look right down on us on our verandah...and we were right next to secret deck 7 so there were always people hanging over looking onto our verandah from there! We had to keep our curtains drawn when we were in that room! The second time we were more midship and the only time anyone could see us is when our neighbors next door were out and leaned over to look.

ClarabelleCow said:
Doesn't most of Europe have co-ed bathrooms, topless or nude beaches, etc.

In my travels to Europe, I have never seen a co-ed bathroom. The only exception may be at a small B&B where a single bathroom served multiple rooms, just like the bathroom in your own house.

When I was on the beaches of Cinque Terre, Italy, I was disappointed that no one was bathing "European-style". My guidebook did have instructions for accessing a nude beach, but is was very secluded and away from the public beach.

Europe is a big place, so attitudes can very from place to place.

tvguy said:
No, clothing ISN'T optional on Disney Cruise Line.

if you ordered a Screwdriver from the bar, they made it with Grapefruit juice, not Orange Juice. Guy in our group even ordered Orange Juice with a shot of Vodka in it, and the bartender said, oh a screwdriver....and proceeded to make it with Grapefruit juice!! Not sure if that's a French tradition,

This is borne of the French custom of looking very sour-faced whenever someone attempts to hand them a tool.

(Relax, Francophiles, I'm just funnin' ;) )

Lampy,
I knew I would see a post on this thread from you!
I am still waiting for the pic so we can all vote!

LOL

Willie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter