Fun Thread - Mail intended for a previous homeowner

Hillbeans

I told them I like Michael Bolton
Who has received a christmas card or other mail from a previous homeowner the longest after moving into their home?

I'll start. We got a christmas card addressed to the previous homeowner and we've lived in our home 3 years this month.

We moved into our last home in 1997 and in 2002 we got TWO holiday cards for the previous owner.... who we did know and past them on them.

We did not get any holiday cards, but we do still get mail for the previous owners. We moved in in April 1994! One item in particular is a quarterly publication from a union or professional organization. I've repeatedly sent it back with a note on it that the person moved many years ago but it just keeps coming.

Last Christmas we received a fruit basket for the previous owners, this is after living there for two years. The funny thing is it was from the owners mother. I guess her son didn't tell her he moved! :confused3

we've never gotten mail for the pervious owner, But we do get everything and anything from teh new neighbors! You are 104, we are 109!!!! LEARN YOUR ADDRESS!!! sorry. I had to get that out. ;)

I haven't had that problem in a while-we've built the last two houses!

Suzanne

We got a card this year for the previous owner and we've been in the house 14 years!

We moved here in 1994, and I still get one Christmas card for the previous owner from the same person every year. Unfortunately, they don't ever write down their return address.

We have lived in our house 2 years and every quarter without fail we get the previous homeowner's quarterly statements from Charles Schwab. I always write on there "return to sender" and mail them back.

However, just a couple of weeks ago we got a letter addressed to the couple who lived here BEFORE the previous homeowner. They moved out in 1993!

We are in our home a year now - and still get bank statments and such for the prior owner. I continue to put please forward and the new address - but you would think they would change their address by now??

We live in an apartment in NYC, and Mercedes is avidly trying to repossess the previous tenant's car. We're the second tenants in this apartment and we've been here three years. I keep returning the mail. She's getting letters from them EVERY DAY.

We've lived here for 10 years, and still get mail addressed to ex-owner's wife who died a year before he sold the house. This is things like shoe catalogs, credit card offers, and other advertising. My FIL, who died 27 years ago in November, still gets hearing aid offers in the mail forwarded to our house after MIL moved into a NH 3 yrs ago.

We got a package for a previous owner this year. We have lived here 5 1/2 years. I'm not sure how long ago these people lived here. We were actually able to deliver it to them! They moved a coulpe miles away. DH had called the company it came from and they called the correct recipient and got a phone number. We called and brought them their present!

VanniGirl said:
We are in our home a year now - and still get bank statments and such for the prior owner. I continue to put please forward and the new address - but you would think they would change their address by now??

IMO Vanni girl you are being too nice. After doing this a few times I would mark it return to sender and be done with it.

Mine is sad. We bought our house from my uncle, who sold it after my aunt died after a long illness.

We kept getting mail in her name for a few years. The only time I actually responded to mail 'she received' was when a local cemetary added a new mausoleum, they apparently had an 'open house' to introduce it to the community, I guess. A big affair with food, walking tours, etc. She was invited. She was also buried in their cemetary.

I called them and kindly asked them to remove her from their mailing list as her new 'residence' was on their property. It just sort of rubbed me the wrong way that they didn't make sure the people they were sending mass mailings out to were not customers who had passed and the affect their oversight would have on their relatives.

I never received another peice of mail from that cemetary.

This wasn't a previous resident but about a year ago I received a bank card for someone down the street and then a couple days later his pin number! It had his name but my address. The second number in the house number was 1 number off. I could have easily just taken it to a bank machine and wiped out his account. But of course I took it to the bank and turned it in. I was a little concerned about identify theft too, which is why I wanted to be sure the bank had it. They checked the computer and found the address down the street.

Wow, some stories!!

Poohandwendy - yours is a sad tale, I can imagine it must be difficult getting mail in a deceased relative's name - especially if they're buried there in the cemetary. I'd hope they get better at cross-referencing their mailing lists.

LOL at Caradana's repo story and the one with the son's fruit basket.

I guess 3 years then isn't much to still be getting old mail - I can't believe people here get mail that's to a former homeowner from 14 + years ago!

We still get advertisements for Florida properties for the old owners. They actually bought a place & moved down there- over 9 years ago!

lemondog said:
We have lived in our house 2 years and every quarter without fail we get the previous homeowner's quarterly statements from Charles Schwab. I always write on there "return to sender" and mail them back.

However, just a couple of weeks ago we got a letter addressed to the couple who lived here BEFORE the previous homeowner. They moved out in 1993!

we get mail for the people that lived here before our previous owners too...it is from their life insurance company and I used to send it directly to them since I know where they live, but now I just put "no longer at this address" on the envelope and,mail it back to the sender. It gets annoying since they have not lived in this house since 1991.

A f ew months ago someone tried to serve papers on the guy who lived here before us. We've been here since 9/1999

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter