Fun things to do with toddler??

kenny

DIS Veteran
Aside from the rides/shows, does anyone have any fun things they have done with their little ones during a trip.

I am looking for things that most people would miss but are fun things to do.

Thanks

Don't forget about the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground at MGM and Pooh's play area at MK. My DD2 loved getting pictures with and autographs from the characters. I know some little ones are a bit afraid of them but my DD fell in love with Chip and Dale and ran to them no matter where they were. She still loves looking at her autograph book and points out Chip and Dale's all the time.

Also, I got a picture with DD2 in front of the castle at MK taken by the Disney photographer. The had us holding our hands out and "magically" put Tink in our hands. My DD loved it when we got to see the pic online and of course we had to order multiple prints of it.

Other than that I found that taking a few minutes each day to just with the little one and relax somewhere in the parks created some of the best memmories for me.

Have a good time and take LOTS of pictures! :thumbsup2

Depending on the actual age, the Honey I Shrunk the kids Playground is kind of overwhelming. It's tough on parents, too! I lost my DD3 twice there in about 20 minutes.

Assuming you are talking 2-3 year old, here's a couple of things our 3.5 yo liked a lot:

- The railroad ride around MK.
- The Jungle Cruise
- Play areas in MK - Pooh's playful spot, Ariel's Grotto, and in toontown there is Donald's Boat and another play area that I am not sure if it has a name. Bring a towel and change of clothes if you are going to let him/her play in the water.
- The big musical fountain between the innovations buildings at EPCOT.
- Any Boat Ride (DTD, whatever)
- The animal exhibits in AK.
- Character Meals (Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Fare, depends on what shows / characters your child is into.)
- The pool / Water slide at POFQ. (Only helps if that's your hotel.)
- Turtle Talk with crush (EPCOT)
- Spectromagic Parade
- A ride on the monorail
- Storytime with Belle (at MK)
- Woody's cowboy camp (show at MK in FrontierLand)

Things to avoid with Toddlers - Dark Rides (IE any indoor rides, except Small World). I thought she would like Winnie the Pooh, but when we watch the video she still says "It's scary!"

SkierPete

One thing I loved when I was a kid was renting one of the little two seater boats from Fort Wilderness and riding around Bay Lake. I think the other resorts on bay lake rent the little boats as well, but it was always tons of fun for me!

don't overlook the maze in the UK in epcot. my kids (4, 2, 2) had a blast with it.

Thanks. DD is 2.5

We're planning on all the parks, rides, etc. I figure to spend a lot of time at the playgrounds! :)

I am interested to see how she does on some of the rides as she is not afraid of the dark. Now that I said that she will be terrified :rotfl:

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

My thoughts:
(in my abbreviations)

Magic Kingdom (perfect toddler park)
  • Swiss Family Treehouse Jungle Cruise
  • Aladdin's Carpets
  • Small World
  • Pooh's Playful Spot
  • Dumbo
  • Ariel's Grotto (unless you find her to be frightened by characters)
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Minnie's House
  • Mickey's House
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Liberty Boat
  • Donald's Boat
  • Indy Speedway
  • WD Railroad
  • Parades (any of them)
EPCOT
  • Innoventions
  • The Seas with Neo and Friends
  • Living with the Land
  • Jouney w/Figment
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • Rio del Tiemp in Mexico
Animal Kingdom
  • Triceratop Spin
  • Boneyard Dig Site
  • Pochahontas and Friends (this would really be based on her attention span)
  • Oasis
  • Maharajah Jungle Trek
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • All of Rafiki's Plant Watch
  • Pangani Forest TrailCamp Minnie Mickey (if she is not afraid of characters)
  • Cretaceous Trail
  • Jammin Jungle Parade
MGM Disney Studios
  • Muppets 3D
  • Narnia walk-thru
  • One Man's Dream
  • Beauty and the Beast on Stage
  • Mermaid on Stage
  • Fantasmic (she might be scared of the dragon)
  • Playhouse Disney on Stage
  • Honey I Shrunk the Movie Set
Have fun! :)

We found with our little one (at 3.5) that the whole experience was a little overwhelming. Ours is not afraid of much at home, but was a little intimidated at times. One important thing on that first visit so young is let them get their rest as close to their normal schedule as possible. Both they and you will have a better time for it.

The funny thing is while we were there, each morning she didn't want to leave the hotel room, but now that we are home, she talks about it almost every day.

One thing we also did, take lots of videos, even of rides that she doesn't go on. Now she watches the videos and is already asking about when we can go back. (Hard to explain - not for a while to a 3-YO though.)

SkierPete

A couple things I wanted to add. We're just back w/2yo and 5yo and some things the 2yo loved...

Journey Into Imagination was broke down, but we went around thru the exit to the Imageworks area. They have a place with lighted tiles on the floor, where you step on them and they make the noises of the picture (airplane, fireworks, cow, etc). DDs LOVED this. We spent at least 20 min here.

Both girls really loved 'driving' the cars at the speedway in tomorrowland.

Take time to see the characters, especially we spent time in Animal Kingdom at Camp Minnie Mickey.

In Epcot, there are benches near the Odyssey restaurant...great place to sit out of the way of people traffic and have a Mickey bar.

sad to say because me and dw hate it but don't forget to get em to the pool a couple times. sadly it'll probably be the most fun they have. our 3 ds and 11 dd
go nuts we when finally cave and spend an hour or two at the pool.

See how your little one is when you get there. DS LOVED all the Fantasyland rides and the characters, what alot of other kids are afraid of.
The playgrounds in the resorts are cool too! Maybe bring him/her to make the Kidcot mask in World Showcase....DS was only 17 months when we went, but his 9 year old sister made one and he liked drawing (with help, of course) on his too. Although since it had a stick, we didn't let him hold it, we just put it in the stroller. The CMs loved talking to him too!

Our son was almost 2.5 when we took him and he loved the transportation... trains, cars, monorail. Also Pop has a fabulous baby pool that is so easy for a parent. It is zero entry and has fountains shooting up. So if you are staying there then she will enjoy that. Our son was terrified of any 3-d show and all characters. That was hard because our daughter (5) loved those. He loved eating in the castle and all of the toddler rides.

In the evening, go to Boradwalk for ice cream and rent the bicylcles (2-8 seaters). They have baskets on the front that you can buckle your toddler in and they get to ring a bell to make people move out of the way. The parents do the peddling. It's one of our favourtie things to do each time we go.

DD loved jumping in any puddle that she found one rainy day... but that is probably not what you mean :)

The kids also liked playing in those fountains on the ground in Epcot

I think all of the other posters have covered just about everything but I just wanted to add that if you are looking for some down time, Downtown Disney is actually fun for little ones. My kids love to play in Once Upon a Toy (and play is encouraged!). They love to create a Potato Head on the computers and print them out. They love to play with the Lincoln Logs and all of the other things that are set out in the many stations. They love to watch the little monorail run and it's all free. They also love to go into Legoland and look at all of the neat things built out of Lego's. They are also encouraged to play and create things (also free). There is a small slide that is located just outside as well and it's also a fun spot. In Downtown Disney there is also a small train ride and a small carousel. There is also a water feature play area (the kind where water randomly squirts out of places in the ground).

Don't forget a camera - there as lots of photo ops!

On our last trip my youngest daugther was 2. One day we left MK early afternoon so she could rest. Later that same day we went back for the fireworks show. She was amazed!

Regarding characters, let your toddler decide who she will be friendly to. Do not force her to kiss or hug the ones she seems afraid of. Maybe next time she will be more open to that.

Finally, napping is a must, for everyone in the family. :cloud9:

Don't forget the pressed pennies! When our DD was a toddler she was too small to go on sevevral rides with her older brother, so I would let her make a pressed penny to but in one of those little booklets.

Alot of people are always in a rush to go from ride to ride. They have alot of things to do and see that alot of people pass by. Relax and take your time going through the parks. Try to find some hidden mickey's, try to find Cinderella's horse on the carousel at MK. Play at the Pooh play area and in toontown. There are jumping fountains in EPCOT and fountains in the ground in EPCOT. Bring a bathing suit and a change of clothes and let your child run through for awhile. Let your child play in the boneyard at AK and Honey I shrunk the kids play area at MGM. A toddler will tire of going here and there, this just gives them things to do and relax a bit and let's you relax too.

My son is 2.5 as well. Here are a few of the things he mentioned he liked and wanted to do next time again:

We had lunch with the Little Einsteins and JoJo in MGM. It was his favorite meal. He got to dance and sing with the characters. :woohoo: The interaction is great!

He also loved Honey I shrunk the Kids playground. I think my two boys went on the leaf slide 15 times in a row. As the other person mentioned, kids can get easily lost in there but for my little guy it was the best. He wore off so much energy that he willingly took a nap. (never happens at home).

He also had his face painted. He liked it so much that we had to get it done the next day too! He was a tiger and a bear. I found that it also helped him not to be afraid of some of the bigger characters. When he was a tiger, he spent the day roaring at the characters, instead of running away from them. Tigger was the best. They had fun teasing poor Piglet! :goodvibes

Have a great time! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter