Fun Interactions with Characters

mickeysgal95

Earning My Ears
So I'm new to the boards and there are probably already a few threads about this but I'm going to Disney World in a few weeks and I don't want to just take a picture with the characters... I want some fun interaction!! Any ideas on what to do and say?

Well that's kind of hard to say. Great situations or interactions are usually spontaneous, not planned. I always have a disney shirt on so they really like that. Also, just be friendly, have fun, be silly and enjoy. The more fun you have, the more fun they have. :yay:

We bought a book that has most of the Disney characters in it. My kids use this as their "autograph" book- the characters go crazy over it and we have had a lot of priceless moments because of that thing! We "collect" signatures in the book-the characters sign their own page. You can get one on Amazon-The Disney Character Encyclopedia (or something similar).

My other advice is to smile, be patient, and let the kids go up without you. In my experience, the characters try to interact with the kids to make them more comfortable.

Have Fun!!!

Last year my son who was 10 yrs old was wearing his Mickey Mouse watch the whole trip and it seemed to have caught the eye of many characters and that caused a lot of interaction. I agree with the previous posters idea of having the kids go up alone. It seems to cause more interactions and spontaneous reactions. Just make sure to have your camera ready and have Photopass taking photos because we caught our most favorite picture ever when the Photopass photographer caught my son looking up at Sulley! It was priceless!:goodvibes

Remember reading somewhere...and got my 12 year old son to "kiss the hand" of the Disney costume characters, ie. Minnie, Daisy, Marie....so on....they all reacted to his action made for some great photos....Daisy acting like she was embarrassed and so forth. I also read to ask "human" characters, ie Belle, Snow White...etc, questions from their movies....we asked Belle.."What is your favourite book?"...try it...and see what they say. : ) Enjoy your trip.

If your kids are younger I definitely recommend videoing things as well....my DD (then 3 1/2) saw Sleeping Beauty for the first time as she was waiting in line at the character greet. It was priceless...the look on her face was the highlight of my trip that year!

The more fun your kids are having the more fun the characters will have. Always have a camera or video tape ready you never know what will happen. My DD was dressed as Tink and Captain Hook chased her around Adventureland! It was awesome. They also notice the children who are being kind......helping a smaller child out, or letting someone go ahead of them.

Our most recent trip, many of the characters had alot of fun with DD's pen. DW bought her a pen that had a small Minnie that dangled from the end. Lilo used it to hypnotize Stitch, and many of the other characters got a kick out of twirling it around.

I think the best interactions that I have had were during Character meals. They are a bit more relaxed, and seem to spend a little more time with each table. I totally agree that having a shirt/hat/autograph book with their names or pictures on them brings out the best in the characters. They LOVE to see themselves and point it out to the kids. Give them something to react to, and typically they will! :)

If you have the Disney Rewards Visa card, the absolute best character greeting is the private on at Epcot. It's only certain hours per day, but we've gotten as much as 10-15 minutes with two characters during that time. It was awesome!! We try to do that one every trip!

We made a custom autograph book, probably same interaction as PP with the encyclopedia. They all raved about it and even the photopass people loved it. The characters really liked having their own personal page with their picture on it.

FOr instance, Mr Incredible usually just stamps his autograph, but really liked my daughters book and actually signed it by hand.

I agree with those who said the best interactions are spontaneous and usually at character dinners. We got some great shots at Chef Mickey's and we even took our two boys to Cinderella's Table - I was worried it would be too girly but the reservation was open online when I checked, so I snapped it up. They had a great time! And Ariel proudly proclaimed them her little princes and gave them both kisses, so they walked around the park all day proudly wearing the lipstick print on their cheeks and telling anyone who saw it where it came from. My youngest was fascinated by Belle and I have pictures of him staring at her in awe. He also asked her where the Beast was and she said he was getting his fur brushed for the parade, which I thought was an adorable answer, so make sure you ask any face characters questions. Just tell your kids to have fun with them and they'll have a great time! I was helping my oldest get his shirt signed by Chip and I didn't realize it but Dale was behind me dancing with my youngest :). It's the little things that make for great memories!

Most of the characters we saw just gave the girls a hug or shook their hand and then posed for a picture. But Chip and Dale spent quite a bit of time with my oldest DD (youngest refused to get out of the stroller :sad2:). It was in Epcot and she had a velcro frog she had made inside the park and they took it from her and tossed it back and forth, one ran off with it and acted like he was going to climb up a tree with it. Those were some of the best pictures we got. We had a Disney story book with lots of different Disney stories in it and used that for Autographs. We had the princesses sign next to their story and lots of them talked with the girls about how they loved reading and how cool it was to see their story.

We find better interaction with the people characters. The Mulan we found was amazing and beautiful. She teased with my daughter about being stronger than her Daddy and they did a warrior pose for pictures. Helped that we were the only ones in line.

Last trip the photopass photographer got a good pic of DD hugging Lotso, followed by my DH smelling Lotso. That went in the Christmas letter.

The interactions are what you/the kids make of them. Ariel and Eric were involved in their own conversation, really, but DD was just so excited, she just stood there listening to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter