Fun Cruise Movie?

lostatdisney

Mouseketeer
I love movies, but I can't think of any cute cruise movies to watch with the family before our cruise this summer. Any suggestions? Obviously, Titanic is NOT the one to watch LOL!

Not many 'cute' ones...

From: http://cruises.about.com/od/travelgearandgadgets/tp/cruise_movies.htm

1. Titanic (1997)

The sub-plot may be a little predictable, and you already know the ending, but the special effects make you feel like you are really on the ship. A great cruise movie. You will be humming Celine Deion's song for days after watching this one.

2. An Affair to Remember (1957)

Although this movie is linked primarily to the Empire State Building in New York, Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr meet and fall in love on an ocean liner. Although many movie buffs prefer the 1939 version with Charles Boyer, I think these two characters are wonderful. (After all, all women LOVE Cary Grant.)

3. The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

The first of the great disaster movies of the 1970s. Some say it set the standard for "Titanic" in the 1990s. Movie stars Gene Hackman, Roddy McDowell, Ernest Borgnine, and Shelley Winters. Great upside-down sets and mindless entertainment. Whoever would have thought that Shelley Winters was such a good swimmer? Remember the theme song -- "The Morning After".

4. The Last Voyage (1960)

If you are a Robert Stack or Dorothy Malone fan, you will like this movie. It is the story of a sinking cruise liner (not the Titanic). Another movie I remember from my childhood. It was gripping and very intense. The producers sank a "real" ship to add realism to the movie.

5. A Night to Remember (1957)

Another movie about the last night of the Titanic. This one shows up occasionally on late night television. As a child, it was my first exposure to the terrors of cruising. Its realism is impressive, especially given that it was filmed over 40 years ago. Some people like it better than James Cameron's 1996 version.

6. Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979)

Like most movies, the sequel to "The Poseidon Adventure" did not live up to its predecessor, in my opinion. However, if you like Michael Caine, you will be interested in his movie. Movie starts the day after the ship is discovered floating upside down.

7. Ship of Fools (1965)

Superb cast including Lee Marvin, Vivian Leigh, Oskar Werner, and Simone Signoret find themselves on an ocean liner in pre-World War II. Great character study and a good movie. Where else would you find such a diverse group of people other than on a ship?

8. Out to Sea (1997)

One of the Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau treasures in their "grumpier old men" series. The comedic talents of these two geniuses make any movie they are in a joy to watch. The writers' take on gentlemen hosts on cruise ships may not be completely accurate, but it sure is fun!

9. Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997)

Unfortunately, Sandra Bullock should have stayed on the bus rather than making this sequel to "Speed". Plot is lame, but it does feature a cruise ship and a madman hijacker. Good shots of the ship and a spectacular ending.

Even though it's not a movie........What about the "LOVE BOAT"? HEE, HEE
or are you old enough to remember. JK:rotfl2: trust me I'm not terrible old

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This is enough to watch one every couple of weeks until our cruise. popcorn:: And yes, I remember Love Boat! I was just thinking today that with all the major motion pictures they've made out of older television shows, they should turn the Love Boat into a movie!

I'll add one - Monkey Business - Its the first Marx Brother's Movies I ever saw.
Groucho, Harpo, Chico, & Zeppo are stow-aways on an ocean liner - I love this movie!!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This is enough to watch one every couple of weeks until our cruise. popcorn:: And yes, I remember Love Boat! I was just thinking today that with all the major motion pictures they've made out of older television shows, they should turn the Love Boat into a movie!
So funny my husband and I were saying this last night. Maybe we should call a producer:lmao:

I have always been greatly intrigued by the whole Titanic legacy and watch the original movies and the Leo and Kate version each year in April. Sort of my own personal homage to the great liner and what could have been for her if so many things did not happen to sink her that night.

MJ

I have always been greatly intrigued by the whole Titanic legacy and watch the original movies and the Leo and Kate version each year in April. Sort of my own personal homage to the great liner and what could have been for her if so many things did not happen to sink her that night.

MJ

You and my dad, I tell ya......

I've never cruised, but I cannot wait! I have never been one that has an inherant fear or cruising or being on the open water.

The think that sickens me about the movie though, is what an awful way to die....

You and my dad, I tell ya......

I've never cruised, but I cannot wait! I have never been one that has an inherant fear or cruising or being on the open water.

The think that sickens me about the movie though, is what an awful way to die....

You will love the cruise....and become addicted like the rest of us. Enjoy!!

MJ

Not really a cruise ship movie but what about the little mermaid

You might be able to see that on the ship - the Magic had it on the Ariel Vision one afternoon. Even then people were remarking about the shipwreck scene.

most of those movies would turn me off from sailing! :lmao: :scared1:

We just watched Pirates of the Caribbean Friday night, it sort of puts you in the mood. (Personally enjoyed the POC 1 & 2; thought 3 was awful.)

But for those of you who don't mind sinkings as pre-cruise entertainment, try watching a documentary on the Andrea Doria/Stockholm. That is a fascinating modern-day sinking. The book, "Saved", by Wm. Hoffer is excellent and contains one of the most surprising endings to any book I've ever read.

We just watched Pirates of the Caribbean Friday night, it sort of puts you in the mood. (Personally enjoyed the POC 1 & 2; thought 3 was awful.)

I totally agree about the POC movies! A couple of other movies to give you that nautical vibe :3dglasses
Cutthroat Island
Journey to the Center of the Earth
King Kong
Master & Commander
Popeye
Summer Rental
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Treasure Island
Waterworld

Please bear in mind I'm not saying any of these are good - just that they have nautical aspects. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter