Fuji S5200 arrived and now I need some help. YEKCIM, you there?

Mickey Fliers

DIS Veteran
Okay, so my new camera arrived yesterday and I have a few questions....
BTW, ordered on Sunday and arrived Tuesday, not too shabby....

As far as shutter speed goes...if my camera says 250 or 1000, what does that mean. 1/250 of a second??

Right now I am shooting in 5M. Should I be shooting in 3:2 if I plan on printing the pics?

I am also trying to play with the low light/no flash (getting ready for Disney :goodvibes ) and I can't seem to get that right. I have bumped up the ISO and slowed the shutter speed, but trying to do it hand held is very difficult. How do you all get those great night shots at Disney? Especially of the the parade? Are you using a tripod?

Aperture. This is just for depth of field, correct?

I am having a lot of fun playing! I will post some pics when I get a few good ones. I did grab a great one of my friend's DD, but I don't know if she would want me to post it :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the advice!

How exciting, a new camera to play with!!!

I'm still deciding between the S5200 or the Sony H-2. Decisions, decisions!

Where did you buy your camera from? There are so many websites offering them, but I don't want to get taken advantage of.

Thanks.

I know it's not addressed to me, but I'm rather familiar with the S5200 so I'll try my best to answer your questions. I'm sure YEKCIM will be able to give you a better insight.

1. re: shutter speed: you are correct in your assumption
2. re: 3:2: it's the aspect ratio (as opposed to 4:3). 3:2 is more print-friendly because it'll fit nicely on a 4x6, 8x12, 12x18, 20x30 paper without any cropping whatsoever.
3. re: bumping ISO up shutter speed down: you're a bit mistaken. You're right about bumping the ISO up, but the point is to bump the shutter speed UP too. There are some instances that even at ISO 1600, the shutter speed is not fast enough for the shot. Remember the shutter-speed rule of thumb from my lesson page. Ideally it's 1/focal length. So if you're taking picture at (say) 38mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/38 sec, if you're zooming in at (say) 400mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/400 sec.
4. re: aperture: you are correct.

Kelly Grannell said:
3. re: bumping ISO up shutter speed down: you're a bit mistaken. You're right about bumping the ISO up, but the point is to bump the shutter speed UP too. There are some instances that even at ISO 1600, the shutter speed is not fast enough for the shot. Remember the shutter-speed rule of thumb from my lesson page. Ideally it's 1/focal length. So if you're taking picture at (say) 38mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/38 sec, if you're zooming in at (say) 400mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/400 sec.

So, when we see those great examples of pics inside IASW, Country Bears, Specto, etc. They are actually speeding up the shutter speed? OOh, I will have to play with this a little more. When I was trying this last night, the faster shutter speed was making the shots too dark, even in a somewhat lit room. I really wasn't paying attention to the focal length, though.

Back to the drawing board....Thanks Kelly!!

BTW, I bought the camera from Beach Camera. I got the camera, a 512 card, rechargeable batteries and charger, bag, a card reader and I think a couple of other things. I think the total price was $360. I couldn't beat the deal!! And, everything arrived in two days. With free shipping!

HTH

I don't know that I can improve on what Kelly said; she's the pro; I'm still very much a learner. I will add that you may want to try 5F setting; it will mean a larger file size, but slightly better IQ; also, I find that "CHROME" setting produces nicer (punchier) colors.

Other than that, just take advantage of the "free film" aspect of digital photography, and experiment with it now, so that when you get to The World, or any other place you want to take *important* pictures, you won't be disappointed.

Let me (or Kelly!) know if you have additional questions. Sounds to me like you are on the right track.

~YEKCIM

glad to help.

So yeah, just use the "P" mode and up the ISO, you don't need to change the shutter speed, it will automatically bumped up for you.

Remember the shutter-speed rule of thumb from my lesson page. Ideally it's 1/focal length. So if you're taking picture at (say) 38mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/38 sec, if you're zooming in at (say) 400mm, then you'll need a minimum shutter speed of 1/400 sec.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, where on my camera will it tell me the focal length? If I am setting up a shot, will it tell me the focal lenght or do I just have to guess?

that's the part of S5200 I don't remember. YEKCIM, is there a focal length indicator on the lens barrel at all?

I'm not certain that that info is actually displayed (I'm at work and camera is at home...) but think it is not. The zoom range is 38mm-380mm in 35mm equivalent terms. A good rule of thumb would be to use a minimum of 1/38 second (or closest, higher shutter speed) for the wide end of the zoom, and 1/380 second (or closest, higher shutter speed) at the extreme telephoto end (assumes you are using only the optical zoom, not the digital). You should be able, with practice, to "guesstimate" the speeds at both ends and in between. For example, if you are about in the middle of the zoom range, try to get a shutter speed in the 1/200-1/250 range. You can vary your ISO and aperture to accomplish this. I prefer using aperture preferred mode, so I can adjust the aperture and the camera sets the correct shutter speed. If, for example, you are using ISO200 and f/8, and your shutter speed is too slow, just back off the aperture a notch or two, to maybe 5.6, to bump the shutter speed up a bit. If still not fast enough, change the ISO to 400. My modus operandi is to use the slowest ISO I can reasonably expect to get away with, but find that ISO 200 on the S5200 is a good general purpose daylight setting, and usually allows for a relatively small aperture (more depth of field) and a reasonably fast shutter speed.

Hope that helps.

~YEKCIM

YEKCIM said:
I don't know that I can improve on what Kelly said; she's the pro; I'm still very much a learner.

The only reason I'm a "pro" is because I get paid to take pictures :rotfl: I'm still learning myself.

Kelly Grannell said:
that's the part of S5200 I don't remember. YEKCIM, is there a focal length indicator on the lens barrel at all?

I'm looking at the pdf of the manual I keep on my work PC for reference, and I don't believe the focal length is noted either on the barrel or in the viewfinder. It will be in the exif, of course, but that is after the fact. If I were the OP, I woudn't get too hung up on being exact, but would just try to opt for around 1/50-1/60 second minumum at widest zoom setting and 1/400-1/500 or so at the maximum tele zoom. There are differences in how steady different people can hold a camera, too, so that might be a factor as well. Again, a little experimentation goes a long way toward perfecting one's personal technique and abilties.

~YEKCIM

The automatic settings on the camera are nice too. Try the night setting and the natural light. I have just started playing with the manual settings myself. Hoping to try some out in October at disney. Right now all I have taken pics of with maunal is my moving celing fan. But quite cool to see a picture of it dead still when I know it was moving hehehe

Yekcim have you uses filters on your 5200 yet? I was wanting to mess with that but need to get an adapter ring. My filter set from my SLR (non digital) Minlota is 62mm and I need to get a 55mm ring for the fuji.

Like I said in another post yall have reignighted a flame. I was looking at filters online and by time I finished I have over near $100 in my cart. Didnt buy anything yet. I want to see how it works with what I have now :)

Take Care
Jamie

Before you buy those filters, I know that someone (I think Kelly) posted how you can play with the While Balance on your camera to simulate the filters. I think I will check that out before shelling out the dough.

:thumbsup2

Thanks Mickey fliers I'll try that! :) I am gonna wait on buying any filters. I just need to get the adapter ring to use the filters I currently have. Then maybe I'll look into more.

Hope you are having fun with your camera. When I got mine I shot over 200 pics of junk in my room playing with it and learning :)

Take Care
Jamie

Yeah, I don't know how many pictures of my study one person needs, but hey. I am trying it out in all settings. Just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't is so much fun!!

When I have something good to share, I will be sure to post it!!!

Hi,
Hope you don't mind me "hijacking" this thread a little bit. I just ordered the S5200 and am now wondering if I should get a hood for it. I am thinking in the Florida sun, it could be useful. If so what kind would be best to use? Rubber or Flower petal? I have done some searching online but haven't found a lot of useful info in regards to this particular camera. I found a really inexpensive one here and am wondering if it will work. Just looking for some input and hoping someone can answer this question for me!

Thanks.

Never have used one on my S5200, but I guess you could get a rubber one if flare is a problem for you. With widest focal length 38mm, vignetting shouldn't be a problem.

~YEKCIM

I bought this camera and used it in Disney back in October. I shot a lot of pictures in auto mode. I also bumped up the ISO and took night shots that came out just OK. I feel like I am reading a foreign language when trying to understand all these manual settings. Is there anyone who can explain in very simple terms how to decide the manuel settings for night? I get really confused about the f and aperature.... The only part that I understood was the ISO had to go up for night time. We are going again in March. Thanks for any help you can give!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter