fuel prices killing my last minute trips to FW

bigdisneydaddy

Fan of all things Fort wilderness
In the past I have managed to "persuade" my wife into trips to WDW in the summer. Usually we are on the budget plan and do a water park and some other small things, just generally hang out at FW and relax.
Since the drive for us is over 1100 miles fuel can be a big factor. Now with Diesel at $2.45 a gallon here in MI my hopes for a summer trip this year are crushed.
At what point do you think this is going to start affecting FW ?
I would think the RV segment as a whole has got to be feeling the crunch.

Scott

Hey Scott,
Feeling your pain here too! Our diesel is at $2.55/gallon and climbing daily(Central New York), our drive is a little over 1200 miles. With the 5th wheel we get about 7mpg. UGH! I wonder if FW will start seeing mostly locals due to the high prices of fuel.

We were at a RV show last weekend and asked the salesman if gas prices were hurting sales. He said they have sold more united then ever before. But all units sold where 200 thousand to 1million. He said the higher gas price just knocked the middle class out of buying RV 's but the rich are buying more then ever.

Just came back last week and Drove round trip and spent $850.00 in gas came from NH and DH has a Ford 350 and was pulling a 32 Travel Trailer

We are middle class and are feeling the crunch of gas prices. We have decided that we will not be taking anymore weekend camping trips. We will go for 3 day weekends and longer.

We have a Class A motorhome. We get 8-8.5 MPG. Disney is close to 3000 round trip.

We still figure it is cheaper for us to drive than fly.

Here's how we figure it (we usually take 2 weeks - 12 nights at FW + driving time of 2 days each way):

Even if gas gets to $3.00 per gallon it is still approx. $500. cheaper to drive.

If we fly we could get tickets for $500-$600 vs gas (375 gal @$3.00 = $1125.)

We eat all but 2-3 meals in our motorhome. Eating out would cost us approx. $75/per day * 15 days = $1125 vs $400 (eating at the MH and a few meals out) SAVINGS = $725.00

A hotel would cost us approx. $30. more than FW -- $30. * 12 = $360. SAVINGS

I guess there are pros and cons to everything. Driving means you have to take an additional 3-4 days for driving time. Not a problem for us since we really don't mind the drive. We also prefer to eat in our own motorhome, and sleep in our own bed. Plus we feel we have more privacy in our motorhome.

Mac and Us, we've figured it about the same as you.

The only thing that would flip it in favor of flying and staying in a hotel is the meal plan...if that was still going on the date of our trip...well, I love camping, BUT. :banana: I love to eat, too. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter