Frustration with switching reservation at 7 months- Thanksgiving

lvforvaca

Earning My Ears
Despite stalking the online reservation tool, I was unable to switch our reservation from VWL to BWV for Thanksgiving at 7 months. The reservation disappeared days before I could even book. I have been able to make this switch twice in years past, but not this year.
I feel like it is harder now to get the reservation you want because of online reservations. Everyone out there competing for it and people walking their reservations.

Any insight on why this year is different?

No real evidence but I actually think that the online tools have made it harder because I believe that people who in the past just assumed there wasn't availability now can see everywhere there is availability and now decide to make the switch. I know that before the online tool I'd make switches and yet often read about how it was impossible at such and such a time when I had actually had multiple options when I called in. Now it's just more out there.

I agree that the availability tool has made it easier plan a switch at 7 months and therefore probably made it so people are more likely to switch.

More DVCs and more DVC owners will make more popular times and locations harder to get as well, but I am not sure that would account for a difference between last year and this year, as most VGF owners aren't going to want to switch to Boardwalk.

I had wait listed thanksgiving at 10 months one night and it never came thru. For either beach club or BWV.

I would still waitlist as you never know when someone will cancel. Good luck.

Despite stalking the online reservation tool, I was unable to switch our reservation from VWL to BWV for Thanksgiving at 7 months. The reservation disappeared days before I could even book. I have been able to make this switch twice in years past, but not this year.
I feel like it is harder now to get the reservation you want because of online reservations. Everyone out there competing for it and people walking their reservations.

Multiple factors. As for this year vs the last 2, likely the online and availability info where many in the past would not have been able to call at 9, they can get on the computer at 8. While I feel SSR has had a dramatic impact on the 7 month availability, I don't think we can blame this years vs the last 2 as the impact should have maxed out roughly 3 yrs ago.

Can you explain your comment Dean? Why would the impact have maxed out 3 years ago for SSR?

Can you explain your comment Dean? Why would the impact have maxed out 3 years ago for SSR?
For the impact of SSR to hit maximum, it had to sell out and all new owners have enough time to try it a couple of times. The 3 yrs was a rough guess. After that it should be somewhat even going forward with a little variation as there are new resale owners. This is my opinion that stems from observational information and my impression that SSR has a lower demand the the WDW DVC average and it seems to have held up since I made the observation and prediction at the start of SSR sales. Obviously none of us have the inside information to prove or disprove the presumption.

Last edited:
While I feel SSR has had a dramatic impact on the 7 month availability, I don't think we can blame this years vs the last 2 as the impact should have maxed out roughly 3 yrs ago.

I agree with this, the effect of the newer resorts on people wanting to book shouldn't affect too much. The SSR effect should be long over.

One thing that COULD be happening to affect why things are disappearing quicker at 6 months. We know that there was a serious issue with VGF in that many more people bought with the intention of using their points for studios than the resort can actually accommodate, and that VGF owners were finding an inability to get rooms even at 11 months on the day of for Oct-Dec.

This COULD lead to an uptick in those owners trying to find other accommodations at 7 months.

I agree with this, the effect of the newer resorts on people wanting to book shouldn't affect too much. The SSR effect should be long over.

One thing that COULD be happening to affect why things are disappearing quicker at 6 months. We know that there was a serious issue with VGF in that many more people bought with the intention of using their points for studios than the resort can actually accommodate, and that VGF owners were finding an inability to get rooms even at 11 months on the day of for Oct-Dec.

This COULD lead to an uptick in those owners trying to find other accommodations at 7 months.
SSR should be steady state related to members there exchanging out. The one issue that could still be directly SSR related is the same as the reason that SSR has had effect on other resorts inside the home resort window. That as people are sometimes unsuccessful they tend to creep back into the home resort window more and more. This affect might not be steady state even yet. IMO DVC has experienced far better than expected 7 month availability anyway, this just brings the situation back to where I would assume it should be anyway.

actually i think the construction at DTD could be effecting things more. people who usually are happy to stay at SSR and walk to DTD might be more looking at changing out for now.

Maybe BWV room refurbishments may have had some impact. I have a BWV reservation for mid October that I need to add a few days to. I stalked availability daily but absolutely nothing for the whole month of October. Then last week all of a sudden there was all sorts of availability in all rooms. My guess is that a block of rooms being refurbed was released. It's possible this could happen in November also.

Maybe BWV room refurbishments may have had some impact. I have a BWV reservation for mid October that I need to add a few days to. I stalked availability daily but absolutely nothing for the whole month of October. Then last week all of a sudden there was all sorts of availability in all rooms. My guess is that a block of rooms being refurbed was released. It's possible this could happen in November also.

That's a good point. I had been a bit surprised at the complete lack of availability at BWV this year - and then all of a sudden there was the recent availability showing up. BCV has had more availability in the latter part of the year (although they are also scheduled for a rehab). It's been a strange year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter