Frustrated with the lack of Nutritional Information

Nope. If a chef is cooking with cuts of meat they are all not the same size. Vegtables are not the same size. A chef doesn't cut down baked potatos to a certain weight. Btw you are not the only one to have cooks in the family.

They actually do. The only accurate way of calculating profit and loss in a restaurant is by weight. Pricing on nearly all loose inventory is by weight. Items will be cupped or weighed generally.

being a diabetic...I can see the food in front of me and know if I am going to eat the whole dang thing or just part of it...I dont usually worry about it being off ..because I am in Disney and I am going to have a good time...as far as salt ...just ask for no salt added to a meal that is being made for you ...a half of a baked potato is enough for me anyways..but boy if they put a plate of french fries...I dont want to look..hahaha....Just ask when you are at a certain place..the people there will help you..

If you read that, it all states "will". And at the bottom it says, as of 11/2014, that the *statute* has "extended the effective date from six months to one year after the date of publication of the final rule."

Not to mention, the restaurants inside of Disney aren't chain restaurants.

While I would love for this to happen, I doubt if it will.

These nutrient displays have actually hurt businesses by 'calorie-guilting' customers into not ordering what they were going to order.

On the other hand, for Weight Watchers like me, it gives FREEDOM that comes from knowledge. I KNOW that this dish is more than my daily points, and darnit I'm going to eat it and enjoy it and move on. 3 years ago before I joined and was blindly eating everything, it might have guilted me out of it, but not that I'm healthier in body and mind it doesn't. Just gives me info.

I love eating in California when we visit because the calories are right there to see.

Not everywhere. Not at Disneyland.

I can safely tell you that everything that goes into the dish has in fact been weighed and measured by the prep person or chef, depending on the ingredient.

If only the restaurants I've worked at did that. Couldn't be further from the truth for the places I've worked at (and for most of the restaurants I've eaten at more than twice). The one place that did do this did it with ONE thing, some expensive chipotle sauce, and I remember it because it was a one-time thing and because they measured it in disposable cups instead of our many, many washable cups, and I raised a stink about it. And nearly got fired for it because they didn't quite care about "reduce reuse recycle" at that point.

one night at the Luau...the chef was informed that I was from the Dis and he came out personally and talked to me...they had changed the menu with some white sticky rice instead of the lightly fried rice, and said that it was just being tested...they weigh how much goes out and how much comes back in...as far as dietary restrictions..he said that the kitchen and prep area always has alternative foods made without salt ...so ASK is the result of that .

The nutrition law doesn't apply to Disney dining locations because they aren't a chain.

That said, anyone with the need to know calories, fat, sodium, etc. should be able to go by a general guideline, just like most people did before more information was so readily available. That's how you make educated choices about nutrition.

When you go to a snack kiosk or QS location, simply ask for the menu item binder. It will give you information about everything on the menus at that location. Some TS's have these binders as well, but if they don't, the chef will come out and listen to your needs and steer you in the right direction or adapt a dish to suit your needs. The chefs can walk you through the buffets as well. So, I think you will find, you will get the information you need to make decisions regarding your meals once you are onsite.

The chain law states that there be multiple of the same restaurants within a given distance. Given that all the restaurants are unique they are not bound by this law. That being said it would be a nice thing to have.

This past summer, while planning our trip, there WAS nutritional information posted. Specifically, I looked at the lunch menu for BOG because my DH had some blood pressure issues so I was checking for an item that was low in sodium. The nutritional information was interactive- you could substitute items and the nutritional infromation would change as you did. I was SHOCKED at how much sodium was listed- even when you substituted the green beans for the fries it was off the charts for most items. I did go back and search for this feature to post a link here- it has been removed. I did find an answer on the Disney site- from the Mom’s Panel- saying that all QS restaurants have a book with the info in it to provide to guests upon request…

This past summer, while planning our trip, there WAS nutritional information posted. Specifically, I looked at the lunch menu for BOG because my DH had some blood pressure issues so I was checking for an item that was low in sodium. The nutritional information was interactive- you could substitute items and the nutritional infromation would change as you did. I was SHOCKED at how much sodium was listed- even when you substituted the green beans for the fries it was off the charts for most items. I did go back and search for this feature to post a link here- it has been removed. I did find an answer on the Disney site- from the Mom’s Panel- saying that all QS restaurants have a book with the info in it to provide to guests upon request…
I believe it was only BOG that had this information for a time.

The type of information that people want about their food varies by person, medical need and fad. It just isn't possible to accurately provide all the information for everything available in restaurants all the time. If we have dietary needs we have to be prepared to be responsible for those needs ourselves. As anyone with a serious food allergy can tell you, it is not possible or safe to rely on restaurants or cooks, or chefs to find out the exact content of prepared food. It is nice to have Disney try hard to be proactive about common allergens- even then things slip through. People who have a severe allergy or intolerance to less common items are constantly on the alert to protect themselves. Education goes a long way but is only partially effective. Relying on a restaurant for accurate information if it is life threatening? Not 100% safe and never will be. When it comes to down to dietary "preference" (something that will not potentially kill you or make you violently ill within minutes)- it is unreasonable to expect the information to be provided by individual restaurants.

The type of information that people want about their food varies by person, medical need and fad. It just isn't possible to accurately provide all the information for everything available in restaurants all the time. If we have dietary needs we have to be prepared to be responsible for those needs ourselves.

Agree. Yes, there are a lot of peole who have dietary restrictions which i
I called this morning to inquire if I could get nutritional information sent to me since I could not find it on the web site. The Cast Member was very pleasant and tried to help to the best of her ability. However, I am highly disappointed that Disney wouldn't provide nutritional information for the food available in the parks and resorts, even upon request. Many in my party need to make educated choices while dining. It is impossible to do so at Disney without this information. It is also a ridiculous answer to give to your Cast Members that guests may request a special diet choice. Guests may have unique dietary needs without having to be on a restricted or "special" diet. For instance, some may need to calculate the amount of sodium intake, caloric intake, etc. This cannot be done without a nutritional info sheet for the restaurant or kiosk. This info should all be readily available either on the website or by email upon request. Providing such information in chain establishments are law (http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm248732.htm). I am highly disappointed that Disney with such a reputation of trying to go above and beyond in order to provide a complete experience to their guests wouldn't meet, nonetheless exceed such a requirement for their own parks and resorts.

The Cast Member was very nice and offered a few options to contact Disney regarding this. I thought I would share with others in case some of you had similar concerns. You may go to www.disneysurveys.com and use code drc to complete and online survey about a phone inquiry. Additionally, you may email specialdiets@disneyworld.com. I truly hope they change this practice soon.

But what specific needs did you have? And be specific.

I am personally wondering if the OP appreciates the volume of information they are asking for. It is not like asking Chili's for their nutritional info. It is a VAST quantity of information.

As others have said, ingredients change from time to time. If they were able to provide you with that information today, there is no guarantee it would be accurate tomorrow.

Also, I'm glad another poster mentioned the binders at the CS locations. I have a friend who has child with peanut allergies. Her experience is that Disney food service locations will go above and beyond to be thorough and accommodate EVERYONE.

I have had some experience with this as well, as I'm vegetarian.

Accommodating special diets and allergies IS something Disney is very good at. Sending comprehensive nutritional info for all food service locations ahead of time is just not how they do it.

I am personally wondering if the OP appreciates the volume of information they are asking for. It is not like asking Chili's for their nutritional info. It is a VAST quantity of information.

As others have said, ingredients change from time to time. If they were able to provide you with that information today, there is no guarantee it would be accurate tomorrow.

Also, I'm glad another poster mentioned the binders at the CS locations. I have a friend who has child with peanut allergies. Her experience is that Disney food service locations will go above and beyond to be thorough and accommodate EVERYONE.

I have had some experience with this as well, as I'm vegetarian.

Accommodating special diets and allergies IS something Disney is very good at. Sending comprehensive nutritional info for all food service locations ahead of time is just not how they do it.

Yes, they do a phenomenal job- my dad has a milk allergy and is always able to get someone to walk him through his options. At TS, it is the chef, and at buffets, they walk him through everything he can safely eat and bring him other options (rolls, donuts, vegan ice cream...) that he might enjoy that are safe for him. He has never had an issue. We did not ask about the sodium with DS when we went on our last trip- we did not think it was needed- but feel like we could if it ever became necessary. I am sure when ordering specific requests could also be made- no butter, salad dressing, mayo, etc. Overall, Disney is accommodating of all food requests if it is at all possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter