Frost warning...should I cover my tulips?

faith

DIS Veteran
So embarrasing to ask, but here in Michigan we have a frost freeze warning tonight. I know tulips are hardy, but I hate to lose them. The green stems are up nicely, but no actual tulip bloom yet. Thanks for helping a person who loves flowers, but has a black thumb.:)

Oh no! No one answered you and now it is late. Did you do anything with the tulips for the night? I hope they will be alright. I wouldn't have known what to tell you if I saw this posting earlier. Let us know how cold it got and how they did, okay? It was just a warning, so maybe it won't get too cold!

Hi Tulirose! I did get off my lazy duff and cover them just to be safe. Here in mid-Michigan we did get a frost. Not sure how low the temps got, but in the upper 20's I think.
Thanks for your concern. I uncovered them this morning and they seem fine.:)

What did you cover them with. My pansies seem to be wilting because of the cold here.
Thanks

rbuzzotta the cold will not wilt your pansies. They are quite hardy. There could be a few problems. When transplanted sometimes we shock the plants, this would cause them to wilt. Also when first planted plants need lots of water to help the root system get going, if the soil has been allowed to dry out, this also will cause them to wilt. Finally last weeks heat damaged lots of young tender plants.

I would not worry about the pansies the will come back stronger then ever.

Hi Rbuzzotta! I covered the tulips with a couple of plastic tarps. I did uncover them early because the sun was out and plastic can become too hot and do more damage than good.
Mamu is right about your pansies. I had some in containers last spring and they were very hardy. They love cool weather, but with some pampering(I moved them to the shade and lots of water) they survived until late fall.

Last night and tonight I covered my Pansies, roses and geraniums just to be safe!!! I just put them in last week and would hate to loose them already. I also brought my WIndow box of herbs inside!!

It never occurred to me to cover the tulips. It snowed on mine the other night and they are fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter