Frontier from Harrisburg ---> Orlando!!! UPDATE!

supersuperwendy

any happy little thought?
I got an email yesterday from Harrisburgh International alerting me that Frontier will start offering non stop service to Orlando in May!!!

We had been planning to drive down from the Philly burbs since flights were pretty high for the five of us and I had given up hope of a good price.

Well...I just booked our flights for June 14th for $73.49 + 16.31 tax = $89.90 each!!! My parents are driving down so they offered to take our baggage so no fees to worry about! wooo hooo!!! :cool1:

And ...I got to select our seats for free!!!

UPDATE!!! So once again Frontier has an amazing price!!! Under $500 for the 6 of us!!! LOVE IT!!! June 18, 2013 is only $69!!!! see post #30

Not a surprise to see other airlines picking up AirTran routes that Southwest is dropping. Quite the surprise seeing Frontier doing it! A real "getting out of the box" step for them and I think it will be successful for them.

BobK/Orlando

I got an email yesterday from Harrisburgh International alerting me that Frontier will start offering non stop service to Orlando in May!!!

We had been planning to drive down from the Philly burbs since flights were pretty high for the five of us and I had given up hope of a good price.

Well...I just booked our flights for June 14th for $73.49 + 16.31 tax = $89.90 each!!! My parents are driving down so they offered to take our baggage so no fees to worry about! wooo hooo!!! :cool1:

And ...I got to select our seats for free!!!

I'm very happy that Frontier is picking up a non-stop out of Harrisburg since we only live 15 mins. from the airport. We, too, are flying from HIA on June 14th but on AirTran. We got our tickets at a great price too - $87 - but have to pay to check two bags AND we only fly out at 2:00 vs. the 11:30ish flight on Frontier. The only bummer about Frontier is the return time from MCO. I want to book them for our return flight on June 22, but don't want to be picked up by ME at 6:00 am. I'm hoping SW will lower their prices to BWI for that day. We'll see....

BTW, we are also staying at BCV. Enjoy your trip. :thumbsup2

Wow me too!

We have the same travel dates and I'll be at BCV too!

We are also leaving the 22nd ...I saw that early flight and thought NOOOO don't want a 6am DME either!!! We are actually going to drive home with my parents instead. My dad wants to take us to St. Augustine and other spots along the way home :goodvibes

Of course we are flying the 13th and the 23rd when they do not have flights.

We will also be at BCV from the 14th to the 18th, when we move to VWL

They are brining service to Allentown Pa too! But I think they will only fly on tuesdays and saturdays from there.

I live in the greater Harrisburg area, too, and I have emailed Frontier thanking them for the direct flight to Orlando. Also, I made the request that they consider participating in the Resort Airline Checkin at the resorts as it is a great convenience especially for those using Magical Express. I did get an email back saying they would forward my suggestion on to those that make those decisions. I gently remarked that most of the major airlines servicing the WDW resorts were participated with Resort Airline Checkin.

Also, agree that the 9am return flight is not great, however, AirTran's was 8am and that 5am ME bus ride was something else! Last time my DH and I were the last ones to board the bus and got the last seats. They actually had some people sit on the floor and then made the announcement that if passengers with smaller children could hold them on their laps it would be appreciated. I did write to customer relations when I got home and told them about it. Off my rant now.
We have decided for our trip in Oct. if Frontier is not participating in RAC yet we may just take a taxi or limo to the airport and leave later than the 6am time.

That's a great idea Checkers!

In case we use Frontier for a future return flight...Resort Airline Check In would be ideal! I hate waiting to check bags at MCO! :thumbsup2

Who did you contact? I'd love to make the suggestion to them to!

That's a great idea Checkers!

In case we use Frontier for a future return flight...Resort Airline Check In would be ideal! I hate waiting to check bags at MCO! :thumbsup2

Who did you contact? I'd love to make the suggestion to them to!

:)I went on the Frontier Airlines website and under Customer Service, Contact and then mid-page down there is a link for a customer compliment or complaint. If those who plan to use Frontier in the future would request this service we may have a better chance for them to offer RAC. Good luck to all of us! I am just happy that we have a direct flight and this would be icing on the cake.

If you plan on contacting them would you ask them when their window for Fall travel will be opening? Right now you can only make reservations until 9/9. Thanks!

Any idea when they are opening their schedule up further?
My friend is meeting us in disney.... needs to fly out Thanksgiving day - or day after.

Also, in looking at their current schedule.. do they fly every day to MCO? Looked like only a few times a week? hopefully it opens up more!

Any idea when they are opening their schedule up further?
My friend is meeting us in disney.... needs to fly out Thanksgiving day - or day after.

Also, in looking at their current schedule.. do they fly every day to MCO? Looked like only a few times a week? hopefully it opens up more!

Just booked our vacation today for early Oct. (out of Harrisburg) and I believe the window is open to early Nov. but check the website to be sure. I think out of Harrisburg there are 4 flights per week -- Tues., Thurs., Fri. & Sun. but I am not absolutely sure about that. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.) We are flying out on a Fri. and returning on a Sun. I feel the rates were reasonable, too.

your right they do only fly 4 days a week. I was looking into the prices as we are planning another trip in dec. and would love to fly out of Harrisburg since we are about 10 mins or so away from there and much easier then BWI. Hoping they offer good prices!

your right they do only fly 4 days a week. I was looking into the prices as we are planning another trip in dec. and would love to fly out of Harrisburg since we are about 10 mins or so away from there and much easier then BWI. Hoping they offer good prices!

A family member of mine just booked 4 (RT) tickets out of Harrisburg (on Frontier) for Oct. and the cost was between $800-900 (not including $ for checked bags which I believe is $20 per bag). This is just over $100 each way per ticket. Not bad for this day of high gas prices. Also, you get to select your seats, no charge.:)

checkers.....rather than catching ME so early A.M. or finding alternate transportation for that early......why not catch ME back to airport around 9 or 10 p.m. the evening before and book a room at MCO Hyatt for that night.....Last Minute Travel usually has some very good rates a few weeks out.....about the same as it would cost you for towncar service. This past Oct we did this and loved it......we were able to stay at WDW until 9:00 p.m.....got on our scheduled ME bus and checked into the Hyatt about 10:00 p.m. for our 8:00 a.m. flight......it was great.......we only had to catch the escalator down at MCO in the A.M. and got to sleep in until 5:30 a.m.!! However, keep in mind you will NOT be able to use airline resort check-in since you're not flying out until the next day, however, bell services will certainly hold your bags for you all day until you're catching the bus in the evening. As far as checking your bags at the airport.......don't ever wait in line inside.....always simply walk out to curbside check-in......if there is a line outside it's usually very minimal.....I've never waited more than 5 minutes outside......no where near what it can be inside and since ME/Resort check-in has come about.......there usually is no line outside at all.

checkers.....rather than catching ME so early A.M. or finding alternate transportation for that early......why not catch ME back to airport around 9 or 10 p.m. the evening before and book a room at MCO Hyatt for that night.....Last Minute Travel usually has some very good rates a few weeks out.....about the same as it would cost you for towncar service. This past Oct we did this and loved it......we were able to stay at WDW until 9:00 p.m.....got on our scheduled ME bus and checked into the Hyatt about 10:00 p.m. for our 8:00 a.m. flight......it was great.......we only had to catch the escalator down at MCO in the A.M. and got to sleep in until 5:30 a.m.!! However, keep in mind you will NOT be able to use airline resort check-in since you're not flying out until the next day, however, bell services will certainly hold your bags for you all day until you're catching the bus in the evening. As far as checking your bags at the airport.......don't ever wait in line inside.....always simply walk out to curbside check-in......if there is a line outside it's usually very minimal.....I've never waited more than 5 minutes outside......no where near what it can be inside and since ME/Resort check-in has come about.......there usually is no line outside at all.

Thanks for the suggesion, Donna, but unfortunately it won't work for us this time. We are staying at BWVs with our DD & family (from Seattle) so the points are booked. Not sure yet when they will be flying back and being that we don't get to see them very often, we want to spend every available moment with them. This is, however, a wonderful idea for future trips when it is just me & DH. That early morning flight is a killer when you have to catch ME 3 hrs. prior to flight time!

This will be our first flight on Frontier. I was looking at their webisite. My kids are very excited about the netflix. Do all of their planes have that? I'm assuming there's a jack for headphones???

I am happy to say that I recently discovered Frontier as well! After being disgusted with Airtran & Southwest's prices I found them. So happy!

We booked RT flight from HAR to MCO a week and half ago for our July trip. We used to drive down to BWI stay at a Park and Stay hotel to leave at the crack of dawn the next day.

Now with the later departure time and lack of need to stay at a hotel the night before our departure, we splurged on Classic Plus/stretch seating. Saves us $$ regardless.
It included our checked luggage which would have equaled the economy seat with paying for checked luggage, priority boarding, premium beverage and priority security line at MCO (supposedly shorter wait through security check point- we'll see- not holding my breath on that one!).

We booked RT flight from HAR to MCO a week and half ago for our July trip. We used to drive down to BWI stay at a Park and Stay hotel to leave at the crack of dawn the next day.

Now with the later departure time and lack of need to stay at a hotel the night before our departure, we splurged on Classic Plus/stretch seating. Saves us $$ regardless.
It included our checked luggage which would have equaled the economy seat with paying for checked luggage, priority boarding, premium beverage and priority security line at MCO (supposedly shorter wait through security check point- we'll see- not holding my breath on that one!).

I live in York, PA. Have been driving to BWI for YEARS for lower fares and finally got fed up with the hassle, the parking issues, the traffic. So, I booked my first trip with Air Tran out of HIA for June 14, 2012. Looks like my LAST AirTran out of HIA, as they pull out! LOL. I will give Frontier a try, I think.. in the future. Although that VERY early return flight time might be a deal breaker for me. Getting the kids out of the door that early, return rental car, etc. We rent a house when we go so it must be cleaned, trash out, etc. Tough to get out. Plus we like taking a later flight in teh day and use the last AM for shopping, or Fantasia mini golf, or something else. Seems like a wasted vacation day to be in your house at lunch time!!!

I live in York, PA. Have been driving to BWI for YEARS for lower fares and finally got fed up with the hassle, the parking issues, the traffic. So, I booked my first trip with Air Tran out of HIA for June 14, 2012. Looks like my LAST AirTran out of HIA, as they pull out! LOL. I will give Frontier a try, I think.. in the future. Although that VERY early return flight time might be a deal breaker for me. Getting the kids out of the door that early, return rental car, etc. We rent a house when we go so it must be cleaned, trash out, etc. Tough to get out. Plus we like taking a later flight in teh day and use the last AM for shopping, or Fantasia mini golf, or something else. Seems like a wasted vacation day to be in your house at lunch time!!!

I agree that the early flight is terrible, but we just decided to add a few extra days to our vacation to compensate for losing part of a day in Disney. It's just my DH and I so getting out of there will be easier for us. I think if this flight becomes a popular one, Frontier will most likely change to a later departure time (I hope).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter