Frontier Airline

mom2my3kids

DIS VETERAN
We have plans to drive but a friend told me of a cheaper airliner...has anyone flown with Frontier?

Frontier is a discount airline, meaning they charge for everything, including seat assignments, carry ons, checked luggage etc. You can look up all those prices to see if they still add up to a good deal.
Also, Frontier does not typically have many flights out of/ to an airport. If one flight gets cancelled, you may not get on another one til the next day or after.

That being said, I've flown Frontier once and had no issues, but I know many people who have.

I have flown Frontier a handful of times and have never had issues.

A couple of recommendations:

If you're flying solo or with an adult, forego the seat assignments. Chances are you'll still sit together and if not, kindly ask at check-in if there's availability to sit next to one another or, when you're seated you can see if someone wouldn't mind switching seats. Doesn't hurt to ask. And if all fails, would it be an issue of you didn't sit next to each other for a few hours?

If you're traveling with children, they have a family section in the back. The middle seat is free, the other seats are less expensive than regular seat prices - something like $6 each way? You MUST have a child on your reservation to sit back there and get a discount.

For baggage, pay for it ahead of time and DON'T bring on a carry-on. Carry-ons are more expensive than checked bags. You may bring on a personal item such as a purse or computer bag. It must fit under the seat in front of you.

In my experiences, I have never had an issue and the staff and crew have been ever so friendly and helpful. I'd fly with them again.

We flew Frontier to Orlando for the 1st time this past fall. The flight price was cheap and the flight times good so we went for it. The plane was noisy and seats uncomfortable but it was only 3 hours so we managed. I'd fly with them again just for the price! They do charge extra for everything so make sure you are aware of their rules when packing.

We used to love Frontier before they switched to their "low cost" model. They are based out of our local airport(denver) and always had decent times for flights. It has gone downhill in the last few years. Just know what you are(and are Not) paying for and plan accordingly. I would just arm yourself with all the info prior to booking.

I haven't flown with them, but my DS uses them all the time. He is flying to Orlando next week and flew to Seattle a few months ago. He is young and single and can travel with a backpack so its perfect for him.

Flew 3 flights on them. 3 one way I mean. Problems with two of them. As PP stated if they cancel your flight the next one may be days later. We do a lot of 3 night trips so that won't work! If you get a deal go for it but only if you're in a position to go up to another carrier at the airport and buy another ticket.

We used to love Frontier before they switched to their "low cost" model. They are based out of our local airport(denver) and always had decent times for flights. It has gone downhill in the last few years. Just know what you are(and are Not) paying for and plan accordingly. I would just arm yourself with all the info prior to booking.

Agree with this. We had flown Frontier quite a bit years ago before they changed their pricing structure. They are our 'hometown' airline as we live outside of Denver. They used to be pretty popular around here.

We have only flown them once since they began this new pricing model and we were delayed almost 9 hours on the way there and 3 hours on the way home. This was in January. All I could think about as we sat at the airport for hours on end with NO one giving updated info was that I was so glad we had not flown them for a trip to WDW. We were just flying to Texas to visit family. There was a flight to Orlando that was delayed about 7 hours and they had not even boarded when we left. I felt awful for those people.

I posted about it on here and people said that can happen with any airline and I have no doubt that is true. But we fly Southwest 2-3 times a year and are never delayed more than about 15 mins (if that!) and if you look up reviews on Frontier, they get about 1 star from most people. They have gone downhill in a big way. Not saying I would not fly them again but I'd be prepared next time and personally, I would not trust them for a visit like WDW. I'd actually rather drive. Wish we were closer than Denver.

The only thing I can add to the PPs is that their seats do not recline, and the padding is thin. Other than that, we have used them several times without an issue. We avoid Frontier in the winter, just in case of weather cancellations.

My aunt was recently flying out to see us leaving from mco and she got bumped from her flight because too many people had checked in before her and they had oversold the flight. The soonest one out was the next day and the staff did nothing more than shrug and say sorry we can get you on first thing in the monring. She wasn't late for her flight and was actually a little bit early. So yes, be aware of these things when booking, especially if you are travelling with a family.

I liked the airline. Nothing bad about it. Sometimes hard to get flights but the price is perfect! Almost half price in my area for non stops. CLT>MCO.

its just like Spirit (current president of frontier I think was old spirit CEO) I tell people know what you are getting into and you will be fine... It is perfect for people who want a True no FRILLS flight, have almost no luggage other then personal (or one small checked) and can tolerate a delay or cancellation. seats are small and uncomfortable, no entertainment as far as I know. and they will charge you for everything so be prepared and know what costs are if you go beyond the rules

its just like Spirit (current president of frontier I think was old spirit CEO) I tell people know what you are getting into and you will be fine... It is perfect for people who want a True no FRILLS flight, have almost no luggage other then personal (or one small checked) and can tolerate a delay or cancellation. seats are small and uncomfortable, no entertainment as far as I know. and they will charge you for everything so be prepared and know what costs are if you go beyond the rules
Agree with this post! However, we've flown Spirit lots of times and have had no issues whatsoever. The small seats really haven't been an issue for us as anytime we've flown with them our flights have been short - beats the heck out of driving!

We've flown it a couple of times, and it is much like any other airline. What annoyed me was the feeling of being nickeled and dimed for everything. I get it, you pay for what you need, but it can start to feel like you are being poked over and over. What annoyed me the most was that there was an equipment change and they refused to guarantee that my 3yr old and infant would be seated next to one of us even though I had purchased seat assignments to avoid problems. At ticketing they told us to deal with it at the gate, and the gate people could not have cared less. Thankfully one of the flight attendants helped us out. If it weren't vastly cheaper than flying Southwest we would have just gone that route.

Agree with this post! However, we've flown Spirit lots of times and have had no issues whatsoever. The small seats really haven't been an issue for us as anytime we've flown with them our flights have been short - beats the heck out of driving!
I agree 100% its all about setting the expectations.. when I fly by myself I will always look at spirit (and Frontier) and have never had an issue .. If its with the family no matter how short of a trip Spirit is a NO NO

The only thing I can add to the PPs is that their seats do not recline, and the padding is thin. Other than that, we have used them several times without an issue. We avoid Frontier in the winter, just in case of weather cancellations.
The seats are pre reclined. Not sure if the angle though. Stretch seating does feline further.
Agree about the lack of padding.

MG

We've flown it a couple of times, and it is much like any other airline. What annoyed me was the feeling of being nickeled and dimed for everything. I get it, you pay for what you need, but it can start to feel like you are being poked over and over. What annoyed me the most was that there was an equipment change and they refused to guarantee that my 3yr old and infant would be seated next to one of us even though I had purchased seat assignments to avoid problems. At ticketing they told us to deal with it at the gate, and the gate people could not have cared less. Thankfully one of the flight attendants helped us out. If it weren't vastly cheaper than flying Southwest we would have just gone that route.
You are indeed nickel and dimed for everything... but you probably paid about $39 for your seats. It's a trade off. Pay the fees and you still likely come out cheaper. Frontier breaks the "bundling" pricing. Pay for what you want, and nothing more.

MG

Even with all the fees, our tickets still came out cheaper then all available airlines in our area. Have never had a problem before, and most of their flights out of PHL are on time, with negligible cancelations. After all is said and done, its an airline seat from point a to point b. Good luck!!

Took Frontier last year for first time from Cincinnati to Orlando. Flight was on time and I thought there was more room in our seats compared to flights I normally take on Delta. It was as nice as the Delta flight and I'm looking into their flights for next trip south.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter