Front loader vs. top loader wash machine

Sabeking

DIS Veteran
Looking for advice. I have heard every front loader wash machine has a mold issue and top loaders don't clean as well. Does anyone have a brand they would recommend or not, either top or front. Tell what you like or dislike. Thanks in advance!!

No real advice, sorry. but reading the thread title I thought it meant a FRONT END LOADER - the kind that shovel dirt and snow? vs a poor little top loading washing machine. Some new reality show maybe? I will now return to my medication.....:hippie:

I've had my front loader for about two years now. No mold issue. The salesman did tell me to leave the door open after finished with laundry to let the drum completely dry out. I also leave the little soap dispenser drawer open to completely dry out. No mold so far, and I LOVE the front loader!!

I've had my front loader for about two years now. No mold issue. The salesman did tell me to leave the door open after finished with laundry to let the drum completely dry out. I also leave the little soap dispenser drawer open to completely dry out. No mold so far, and I LOVE the front loader!!

Same here. I've had my front loader for 3 years, and never once had an issue with mold/icky smells, etc. :confused3

Same here! It's real important to leave door open when not in use and to not let a load of clothes sit for an extended amount of time in washer. We have had a front loader for about, oh gosh, maybe 6-7 years. No mold issues or smell. Love how much it saves me in water usage and in my opinion gets clothes cleaner. I've read where people complain the detergent (you've gotta use HE) is so expensive. Not true. I buy All and usually pay $3.99-5.00 for a bottle. I also get from time to time Tide or Cheer when it's on sale for around $5. I'll never go back to a top loader.

We have had the LG by Tromm for the past 6 years, a front loader----and are THRILLED that the drain pump has gone out and we can replace it with a top loader! Followed all the instructions over the years---leave the door open, wipe out the seal, unload the wet clothes right away--and the moldy smell still gets in there. Have used the HE detergent, followed the manuacturer's instructions for getting out the smell---still had problems. Happy to be going back to an old-fashioned top loader this week!

My friend has a front loader, and she said it has already had issues and she has had to have it repaired after only 18 mos. Evidently, this is sometimes an issue w/ front loaders. However, it doesn't deter me from wanting one.

I've had my top loader for almost 10 yrs now, and I pray it will go out so I can replace it with a front. I have a big family, and I figure it will have a larger load capacity. I just want one!

We have had our front loader for a year with no mold. You are not supposed to shut the door tight when not in use. This prevents mold from forming. We have the Whirlpool Duet and love them.

We have a Maytag front loader and we've never had any issues with it. I never knew you were supposed to leave the door open to let it dry out though! Will do that from now on!!! Despite never doing this though, it's worked great for us!

I'm a happy top loader user but did get a chance to use my SIL's frontloader while we stayed at their house over Christmas. Wasn't crazy about it...it takes way longer to do a load of laundy, especially if you want a second rinse (have to have for my family of sensitive skin people).

About the mold smell: wonder if it's worse in areas with higher humidity???

There are many things that I love about Front Loaders.

However, the above poster hit two nails on the head.

1. It takes FOREVER to run a load of laundry.

2. Mine does NOT use enough water to thoroughly wash and rinse out the clothes. I aways, always, run a complete extra 'rinse&spin' cycle. And, you can still see the suds. ( 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete a load :scared1: )

I am all for water savings, but you just can't get clothes thoroughly washed and rinsed without some water. :sad2:

As soon as possible, I want to replace my current front-loader, Whirlpool Duet SPORT (do NOT buy this one).

I was looking at the new Bosch models, and come to find out that they claim to be the most water-efficient, and use less than my little Duet Sport. Only 14 gallons of water.

I have a front loader and was told to leave the door ajar as well. Never a mold or smell issue. BUT, honestly. I don't see a difference between a top or front loader. I read reviews and was so excited to get my front loader and then couldn't figure out the big deal. My water and electric bill doesn't really reflect that much of a savings. Saves water but the wash runs longer.

We have a Maytag front loader and we've never had any issues with it. I never knew you were supposed to leave the door open to let it dry out though! Will do that from now on!!! Despite never doing this though, it's worked great for us!

Ditto, we've had ours for just over a year and I never knew to leave the door open and we have no smell issues. I love love love my front loader and would never go back to a top loader. I am short and its so much easier for me to get the clothes out of a front loader. Sometimes I'd have to stand on my very very tip toes to get the stuff out of the bottom of the top loader. Very irritating! Also our bills are cheaper. And I've never had any issue with it not rinsing well, and it is SOOO much faster than washing in my old top loader! I can wash and dry a load of clothes in about an hour!

With either, you get what you pay for. We have had high end top loaders and we now have a high end front loader. No problems of any kind with either. My wife prefers the front loader on the drawer/stand as she never has to bend over for anything - it is much easier on her back...

I have a front-loader and have never had a mold problem. I do, however, keep the door open between loads so it can dry out all the way. I also pull open the little drawer in which you dump detergent, fabric softener, etc., between loads when I think about it, which isn't often. Never had mold there either. It's a GE heavy-duty 8-cycle somethin' or other...it's what came with my apartment. :)

ETA: We have high humidity here in the summer; it hasn't affected the mold problem (or lack thereof) at all.

Thanks so far for the input. A few of you said you really like your front loader but didn't give the brand. I would love to know which ones people consider a good value!

Thanks so far for the input. A few of you said you really like your front loader but didn't give the brand. I would love to know which ones people consider a good value!

I have an Amana. :)

And if you're getting suds in your clothes at the end of the cycle, you're either using too much detergent (you only need a few tablespoons) or you aren't using HE detergent.

Frigidaire here. Have heard good things about Samsung and GE.

I have an Amana. :)

And if you're getting suds in your clothes at the end of the cycle, you're either using too much detergent (you only need a few tablespoons) or you aren't using HE detergent.

I do use an HE detergent ( Tide FREE he )
Maybe I can try to use less????
I believe I am using the recommended amount, or less.
Not even a good half-cap full.
I want my clothes (especially my son's dirty-knees, towels, etc..) to be clean!

Other than that issue, I still have many valid complaints about my Whirlpool Duet Sport!!!!
We recycle, and I have seen several of these already, sitting there going into scrap appliances/scrap metal.

I want one with a full drum in the dryer.
Not like they make them now, only the side turns, while the front and back panel stay stationary. That results in constant friction between fabrics and the stationary parts. The areas of the most friction in my dryer are already down to the dark blue/gray primer. :sad2:

A stainless drum (similar to the washers) would also be an improvement. Even if it is not a full drum.

I also feel like fabrics were less wrinkled coming out of my 20 year old basic GE dryer.

Frigidaire here. Have heard good things about Samsung and GE.

I thought I had heard good about GE....
But, have since heard that they are on the top of the list for service calls and returns to the appliance stores/departments.

I might look further into Samsung if I decide that the Bosch is not the one for me.

The Bosch always got good reviews, except for vibration/unbalance.
That problem is supposed to be addressed and solved in their new line.
They are supposed to be very, very, quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter