Front door decorations

Silent1CB

DIS Veteran
I need new ideas. What do you have decorating your front door?

Year round, weatherproof & thin enough to fit between storm door would be good.

Around here, initials are very popular. They are doing a metal or wooden initial (last name initial). They are about 12x18". Wooden ones are about .5" thick. Painted in whatever color you want. (solid colors, polka dots or zebra print). Very cute. Hang it with a cute ribbon. Another thing for fall is pumpkin shaped cutouts in wood or metal with last name on it! Here in the south, some of them say "Happy Fall ya'll"!

Mine changes with the season and holidays.

During the summer, it's a wooden light house that has Welcome on it. The 2 weeks before the 4th, it's a flag with 2 firework blumes above it.

By the middle of Aug, it's a football. Then in Oct, it a ghost. November I have a scarecrow. A Santa for December. Jan - March it's a Snowman, except for 2 weeks for a heart, 2 weeks with a shamrock. April and May, it's a basket of flowers.

With the exception of the scarecrow, all of them are made of wood. We have picked them up over the years at Fall festivals and craft shows.

I guess I'm boring, but I have 3 wreaths. Two of them are made of twig, one with spring-y flowers and one with fall-ish flowers. My other wreath is gold painted eucalyptus with red berries and a red and gold plaid bow (for Christmas, of course) I've had that one for YEARS. I've actually been wanting to replace it.

I guess I'm boring, but I have 3 wreaths. Two of them are made of twig, one with spring-y flowers and one with fall-ish flowers. My other wreath is gold painted eucalyptus with red berries and a red and gold plaid bow (for Christmas, of course) I've had that one for YEARS. I've actually been wanting to replace it.

Years ago, when I was craftier, I used to make my own wreaths. But I found that after just 2 years of being in the direct sun, the fake flowers would just snap off & the hot glue would fail. My wreaths have hit the trash one by one. I haven't hung anything yet this year. :( I have mini-garden flags I change monthly.

How do you keep your wreaths from falling apart due to the sun?

Maybe I should just hang my mini-garden flags on a dowel on the door?

Sounds like I need to visit some craft shows. I never find anything I like in the discount stores.

Years ago, when I was craftier, I used to make my own wreaths. But I found that after just 2 years of being in the direct sun, the fake flowers would just snap off & the hot glue would fail. My wreaths have hit the trash one by one. I haven't hung anything yet this year. :( I have mini-garden flags I change monthly.

How do you keep your wreaths from falling apart due to the sun?

Maybe I should just hang my mini-garden flags on a dowel on the door?

Sounds like I need to visit some craft shows. I never find anything I like in the discount stores.

We have a covered porch...no sun. This is probably how they last so well! :)

I need new ideas. What do you have decorating your front door?

Year round, weatherproof & thin enough to fit between storm door would be good.

Ummmm....what do I have decorating my front door...lemme think about it....PAINT! White, semi-gloss exterior latex paint. It's there all year round, it's weatherproof, and fits between the storm door (or, it would, if we had one). Go get yourself some paint (or maybe some stain if your door is made of wood)...you will love it!!! :banana:

I'm just teasing. I saw all the posts with decorations and realized what a boring front door I have...so I tried to liven it up. On with your thread... ;)

Ummmm....what do I have decorating my front door...lemme think about it....PAINT! White, semi-gloss exterior latex paint. It's there all year round, it's weatherproof, and fits between the storm door (or, it would, if we had one). Go get yourself some paint (or maybe some stain if your door is made of wood)...you will love it!!! :banana:

I'm just teasing. I saw all the posts with decorations and realized what a boring front door I have...so I tried to liven it up. On with your thread... ;)

:rotfl: That's exactly what I have right now. White paint.
I guess I'm done decorating then.
Cross it off my list. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I mentioned putting the garden flags on the door tonight, and DH told me he wants one of those metal stars everyone has. I didn't realize he even cared. But since I know his love of the American flag, I guess a star would be perfect.

It can be my Blue Star Banner (service flag) for while he's gone, without actually advertising such a banner & telling everyone "Hi, I'm home alone for a year".

:thumbsup2

I mentioned putting the garden flags on the door tonight, and DH told me he wants one of those metal stars everyone has. I didn't realize he even cared. But since I know his love of the American flag, I guess a star would be perfect.

It can be my Blue Star Banner (service flag) for while he's gone, without actually advertising such a banner & telling everyone "Hi, I'm home alone for a year".

:thumbsup2

I think that's a wonderful idea. I need to get a Blue Star Banner for our step-son who leaves later this month...but I see your point about having something different since it might signal that you're home alone. I hadn't thought of that...it's a very nice idea.

God Bless your husband and keep him safe. :hug:

I have a Mickey Head Wreath for Christmas, a Snowman one for January but the rest of the year I just keep a grapevine wreath up and I change out the silk flowers to whatever season or holiday we might be celebrating. Pretty easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter