From ZERO to HERO - The October 2015 W.I.S.H. Challenge

That is a perfect metaphor for the month! I am so sorry :(

No Disneyland trip planned for this Thursday because we're doing Sunday instead for our anniversary. Going to head to the park around 2 and just walk and enjoy the sights (and shop!), then head to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen for dinner. We've never been there before - which is strange because we've been passholders forever.

Hubs feels really terrible about what's been going on, so he took us out to dinner tonight (sushi!) and we just relaxed. I'm sitting on the couch and catching up on my DVR. No homework or work tonight. Just relaxing with my kitty. :cat:

That .gif is amazing. I could watch this loop forever --- I have a good post planned for this .gif next month.

Happy anniversary in advance! And happy national cat day to your kitty! Snuggling with my beloved old cat is one of my favorite things to do. I hope yours got you nice and relaxed!

Good morning everyone!! Sorry for the brief visits here lately... Hopefully I will find some more energy soon to be a little more active.

I am up a pound since my fabulous weekend weigh in. But I am not too concerned about it. I can feel that I am rather bloated at the moment. The best indicator is my watch. When it feels slightly uncomfortable, it is a sign of water retention. I also feel it in my fingers when making a fist. So, once the water is away, the pound will be gone, too. Especially since otherwise I feel and see the weight loss! I am wearing an outfit today that I could not really wear last winter at all. It is a beautiful green skirt with black sweater. And it fits quite good. It is a tiny bit snug, but really not bad at all. And it is not uncomfortable! I am wearing my winter boots with it and they were easy to close over my calf!! Yeah!! And I managed to get my flu shot this morning.

Ah the bloating.... Never fun. Hopefully is passes quickly! Your outfit sounds gorgeous!! And getting boots over calls is always a huge victory!! Yay!

Morning all! Well.... came on here with a long post with lots of nice replies and a big GRRRRR complaint about how things are going with the costume, but the POOF FAIRY visited and it is gone and I am out of time. Suffice to say..... costume disaster is ensuing.... paint didn't dry properly on the vinyl. Now I need to recut about 20 intricate pieces and THEN assemble the entire thing, create "boots", sew the cape AND figure out how to attach it to the chest plate.... I see a LOOOONG night ahead. Working 10-3 at school today, but plan to beg off to working my second job tonight. Not worth the stress for the little bit of $$ I'd make.

TTY soon!................P

This costume sounds amazing! Your son is lucky to have such a talented mom!!

200_s.gif

QOTD - October 29

Confession time - I still haven't seen Hercules so I have no idea if my photo clip of the day is remotely on point. Still, it seems accurate, and so like a true Disney hero, I'll forge ahead without worrying about whether I've got the facts right!

Just a few more days until we roll over into Gaston's arm (was that an accidental double entendre? Oops). How have you been a healthy living hero and weight demon slayer this month?

P.S. Please forgive typos and editing out of weird words. I'm trying to post on my phone and that never goes well.

This hasn't been a month of heroics for me but I'm still counting it as a success because I'm still here, I'm still tracking every single day and every single bite, and I'm becoming a lot more aware of my eating triggers. Now I just need to learn how to fight them.

Oh! And I walked at least 10,000 steps every day until I sent the Fitbit swimming. Bizarrely, my step total shot up to 49,253 yesterday with most of those while I was still in the bathroom. Clearly my stats are screwed up but I have a whole bunch of activity points for the weekend!! <joke>.

I am pretty happy with my month. I have been able to consistently keep a nice calorie deficit. A few hickups, but nothing major. I think my diet is overall not too bad, I seem to hit my five a day on a near daily basis, I even managed to eat fish twice a week. And I have seen success in the weight and size department. Tjere were a few challenges along the way and I managed to deal with them. If November proves to be as successful as October, I will be very happy!

Great job! You seem to be in a really steady groove. Woohoo!

(I'd love to roll into Gaston's arms... just saying).

Staying within my WW points and meeting my daily step goal is really all that I have done. My attempts at going above and beyond have been thwarted it seems - between school projects and just general exhaustion. Hoping that i can continue the momentum and see a nice number on Saturday's weigh-in.

"Saying within my WW points and meeting my daily stop goal is really all that I have done." With all the stress and demands you have right now, those two things are HUGE. And heroic in my book!

Okay....here goes....had a bad night! Yup it happens. I was super hungry, I did not put into place any of my safeguards and I felt like "crap" this morning. No excuses. I fell off the wagon in spite of all my hard work and advice on making good choices. So....I had to pick myself up, start a new day...and forgive myself for being such a failure. Oh....and of course I experienced the "poor me syndrome"....why can't I be like those "normal" people who don't even think about what they eat and don't gain a pound! I think a major key point to long term success in keeping the weight off is to forgive yourself, when you slip up....but get right back on track. In the old days, one night of binging would lead to a second and a third and so on and so forth until all the weight I lost came back and then some. So....I'm up in the saddle today, just taking it easy....walking the girl back into her nice, steady pace. Happy Pre-Halloween to you all!

Definitely NOT a failure. We all have bad nights. You are doing a great job! And keeping it to one night is a victory! I would love to hear more about your safeguards - they sound like they are successful 98% of the time and that is an 'A' in anyone's grade book.

So I have news!! I just accepted an offer for a new job and I am super excited!!! It isn't all roses - I'll be taking a pay cut, working more hours, losing a lot of my current flexibility, and doing nothing to shorten my dreadful commute. But it is an awesome organization, in an area of my field that I love, working with people I respect and admire, and has great growth potential.

Life is about to get even crazier and it is something of a wake up call - I've got to take better care of myself if I want to live the life that I want.

"Saying within my WW points and meeting my daily stop goal is really all that I have done." With all the stress and demands you have right now, those two things are HUGE. And heroic in my book!

Thanks! I've been really good about staying within my points this week -- tonight I was 8 points short and had to eat: Keebler Bug Bite Cookies, 1 WW caramel chocolate snack, 1 WW red velvet cake snack, and 1 chocolate raspberry ice cream bar. I got to pig out and it felt like I was "stress eating" -- kind of fun how now my body thinks that I am giving into usual demands yet it's because I ran out of time for breakfast this morning and ate a heavier lunch.

Tomorrow is the last work day of the month and I'll be so happy once the team meeting for the MBA project is over. Time to get started on a new month with new goals!

But it is an awesome organization, in an area of my field that I love, working with people I respect and admire, and has great growth potential.

Sometimes the company culture and room for growth are worth more than staying at a crappy job with no future and terrible culture. So excited for you!!!

off_the_wagon.gif

QOTD - October 30

I had a GREAT discussion questioned planned for today. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was! I forgot to post our group results again this week, I forget my questions, I even forgot my lunch yesterday. Clearly I need several pieces of string tied around my finger! Tomorrow is the LAST DAY OF THE MONTH (yay!) so post those final results when you get a chance and I'll tally up how we did!

In the meantime, I've thought of something else. A lot of have struggled this month. What are some of your favorite tips for getting back on the wagon after a stumble or crash? Even better, what are some things you do to stop a fall in its tracks or before it even starts?

Okay....here goes....had a bad night! Yup it happens. I was super hungry, I did not put into place any of my safeguards and I felt like "crap" this morning. No excuses. I fell off the wagon in spite of all my hard work and advice on making good choices. So....I had to pick myself up, start a new day...and forgive myself for being such a failure. Oh....and of course I experienced the "poor me syndrome"....why can't I be like those "normal" people who don't even think about what they eat and don't gain a pound! I think a major key point to long term success in keeping the weight off is to forgive yourself, when you slip up....but get right back on track. In the old days, one night of binging would lead to a second and a third and so on and so forth until all the weight I lost came back and then some. So....I'm up in the saddle today, just taking it easy....walking the girl back into her nice, steady pace. Happy Pre-Halloween to you all!

Sorry you had a "crash and burn" kind of moment.... but SO HAPPY that you realize that what is best is to FORGIVE yourself and start fresh! Unfortunately those moments often lead to MORE bad moments for many folks! And you are NORMAL.... but it is YOUR kind of normal. Happy Halloween to you!

This costume sounds amazing! Your son is lucky to have such a talented mom!!

Well.... not talented particularly.... just stubbornly determined!

This hasn't been a month of heroics for me but I'm still counting it as a success because I'm still here, I'm still tracking every single day and every single bite, and I'm becoming a lot more aware of my eating triggers. Now I just need to learn how to fight them.

Oh! And I walked at least 10,000 steps every day until I sent the Fitbit swimming. Bizarrely, my step total shot up to 49,253 yesterday with most of those while I was still in the bathroom. Clearly my stats are screwed up but I have a whole bunch of activity points for the weekend!! <joke>.

You are doing GREAT!! For most folks, an early warning sign is when they STOP tracking.... so if you can keep it up even through the rough times, you are ahead of the game!! And being aware of triggers..... HUGE step in the right direction!

I had a good chuckle over your story about your Fitbit taking a swim.... and I replied, but it was one of the replies that got caught by the Poof Fairy!

Definitely NOT a failure. We all have bad nights. You are doing a great job! And keeping it to one night is a victory! I would love to hear more about your safeguards - they sound like they are successful 98% of the time and that is an 'A' in anyone's grade book.

We SHOULD all share some of our safeguards..... you never know when you might give someone the PERFECT idea!

So I have news!! I just accepted an offer for a new job and I am super excited!!! It isn't all roses - I'll be taking a pay cut, working more hours, losing a lot of my current flexibility, and doing nothing to shorten my dreadful commute. But it is an awesome organization, in an area of my field that I love, working with people I respect and admire, and has great growth potential.

Life is about to get even crazier and it is something of a wake up call - I've got to take better care of myself if I want to live the life that I want.

HUGE congratulations on taking a NEW PATH in life!! If you have to work, why not love it!!??

Morning all! Well.... to some degree costume making went BETTER than expected. DS decided about 11pm that he didn't want the arm gauntlets (I had already started them) or the boots (had not yet started)..... and by that point the chest armor and cape and belt were done..... so I was essentially finished!! He seems pretty happy with the costume overall..... love the big red velvet cape that flares out when he walks, so all is good. I'm not nearly as happy with it as I had hoped.... but honestly it is for him and if he is happy, I'll say "good enough"!!

I'm Disney bounding as Rapunzel today and my outfit, for being pretty simple, looks good. I was able to find the PERFECT skirt at the thrift store, combined it with a t-shirt from home and borrowed a pair of ballet-style flats from DD and I'm done! It is chilly here today and I did NOT have the right color sweater or jacket, so I had to go with a slightly off-white cardigan.... but I'm making it work! And I found the little Beanie Baby chameleon stored with DD's Rapunzel costume and she said I could borrow it.... so he will be perched on my shoulder for the Halloween parade here at school later!

Feeling icky and bloated today..... probably from under-eating and under-hydrating yesterday in my rush to finish the costume.... and of course, I almost always have a less-than-stellar weigh-in if I haven't had a decent night's sleep..... strange but true. So I took a peek this morning, but will have a 'do over' tomorrow. Still planning on ending the month DOWN overall though!! My goal was just to be down ONE POUND overall for the entire month (taking an anticipated vacation gain into consideration was brilliant!), so I will probably still make my goal!

Weekend is shaping up to be pretty busy! Driving DS and a few friends to a Quiz Bowl event tomorrow, then trick-or-treaters tomorrow night and then, finally, better late than never, having DS's senior pictures done on Sunday (had to wait until after Halloween so he can shave his "Thor" beard!).

I'm working at the computer teacher again today, so I should have time to stay caught up with you all, despite the craziness here today of All-School meeting day, plus Halloween parties and the school-wide Halloween parade!

TTYL..........................P

Thanks! I've been really good about staying within my points this week -- tonight I was 8 points short and had to eat: Keebler Bug Bite Cookies, 1 WW caramel chocolate snack, 1 WW red velvet cake snack, and 1 chocolate raspberry ice cream bar. I got to pig out and it felt like I was "stress eating" -- kind of fun how now my body thinks that I am giving into usual demands yet it's because I ran out of time for breakfast this morning and ate a heavier lunch.

Tomorrow is the last work day of the month and I'll be so happy once the team meeting for the MBA project is over. Time to get started on a new month with new goals!

Sometimes the company culture and room for growth are worth more than staying at a crappy job with no future and terrible culture. So excited for you!!!

That's great that you were short on points, able to have a snack attack, and end right where you were supposed to be! New months!!!

To be fair, my current job isn't all that crappy. The people are great, including my nutty boss, and I've largely enjoyed working there. It just isn't what I want to do and there isn't a lot of room to grow. And as you said, growth matters!

off_the_wagon.gif

QOTD - October 30

I had a GREAT discussion questioned planned for today. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was! I forgot to post our group results again this week, I forget my questions, I even forgot my lunch yesterday. Clearly I need several pieces of string tied around my finger! Tomorrow is the LAST DAY OF THE MONTH (yay!) so post those final results when you get a chance and I'll tally up how we did!

In the meantime, I've thought of something else. A lot of have struggled this month. What are some of your favorite tips for getting back on the wagon after a stumble or crash? Even better, what are some things you do to stop a fall in its tracks or before it even starts?

I'm not sure whether this is good or bad since I seem to fall off the wagon with regularity, but I refuse to beat myself up about it. That just makes me feel bad which in turn makes me eat another cupcake. So current strategy is just to log it (and do so honestly no matter how large the number is) and move on.

I've also started trying to write myself a little note about WHY the unplanned eating fest happened. Most of the time it is because I'm hungry. The easy solution there is to PLAN BETTER. I'm still winging it too much of the time and I should know myself enough to know that if I'm hungry, I will eat.

I also go for sweets when I'm exhausted and salty/crunchy things when I am stressed or angry. Still working on those triggers!

off_the_wagon.gif

QOTD - October 30

First of all.... NO WORRIES about results or anything here! We are doing fine! And we all TOTALLY understand when real life gets in the way!

Back on track...... well.... I usually try to go to an EXTREME for a few days..... like a weekend juice fast.... but that isn't for everyone. So for a basic RESET..... I go BACK TO WEEK ONE! I re-read my journals/tracker for week one, see what I was eating, how I was exercising..... I weigh/measure EVERY SINGLE NIBBLE. I try to stick with basics that are easy to portion out and easy to count.... no complicated casseroles or recipes to try and figure out. Grilled lean meats, egg whites, salads, steamed greens and a pre-portions treats if I need something sweet (WW 2 pt bars and the like).

If that doesn't work for you..... try PREPLANNING every meal for a week....figure out what you will eat (foods and portion sizes) for BREAKFAST, LUNCH, and DINNER (plus snacks) for an entire week (or just 5 days if 7 seems too crazy).... PRE- track it and then STICK WITH IT! Give your tracker a smiley for every meal that you eat that is just as planned! Allow a wee bit of wiggle room for the possibility of being extra hungry one day (keep an optional snack in the wings). In some ways it is VERY FREEING to not have to make food decisions multiple times a day!

GREAT QUESTION!.................P

Sorry you had a bad night but way to get right back into it! I was the same way before, where I'd get disappointed and give up and gain it all back. So it's important to remember that we all have bad days.

Congrats on the new position! I'd say that if you're super excited even with the pay cut that it was the right move for you.

If I sense that I'm about to stumble I try to not eat anything and distract myself so that I can think "do I really want to ruin my progress over X?" It definitely doesn't always work and there are times that when I start craving junk food that I can't stop myself. But if I can, I do.

I've definitely had my fair share of getting back on the wagon. I typically get rid of whatever is making my stumble. So if it's a thing of cookies that are too tempting or a pint of ice cream, I toss it. Even if it's mostly full. I know that if the temptation is there I won't be able to right the ship. So it's safer if I just don't have it at all.

Wow! Congratulations! Working in a field that you love with awesome people is priceless. You can't monetarily measure happiness and it seems your choice is really exciting for you! And...with your new challenges in learning new things...you will have increased energy to boot! So, so happy for you!

off_the_wagon.gif

QOTD - October 30

Okay....overall report. I gained seven pounds last month on my cruise. I'm down five pounds, so I'm still in negative 2 pounds. My goal was to lose all seven. So I completed 71% of my October goal. I haven't been tracking this month, so got to do that for November. I have two main safeguards when the "binge" strikes. 1. To always have sugar free jello and sugar free snack puddings in my fridge. I can always eat more than one, if I'm really desperate. 2. Sitting with the hunger, until it passes. Letting my body feel the hunger by just observing it, seeing it for what it really is...weakens it....and then....just let it go! Sometimes, I'm not focused enough on really observing it. That's when it doesn't work....and the food in my kitchen grows larger and larger in my mind...until I jump up and get the food item I'm imagining. So....I have to practice the "observing and sitting with it" more deeply.

That's great that you were short on points, able to have a snack attack, and end right where you were supposed to be! New months!!!

To be fair, my current job isn't all that crappy. The people are great, including my nutty boss, and I've largely enjoyed working there. It just isn't what I want to do and there isn't a lot of room to grow. And as you said, growth matters!

I'm not sure whether this is good or bad since I seem to fall off the wagon with regularity, but I refuse to beat myself up about it. That just makes me feel bad which in turn makes me eat another cupcake. So current strategy is just to log it (and do so honestly no matter how large the number is) and move on.

I've also started trying to write myself a little note about WHY the unplanned eating fest happened. Most of the time it is because I'm hungry. The easy solution there is to PLAN BETTER. I'm still winging it too much of the time and I should know myself enough to know that if I'm hungry, I will eat.

I also go for sweets when I'm exhausted and salty/crunchy things when I am stressed or angry. Still working on those triggers!
Hunger is a "beast!" I like your strategy about logging it, no matter what. And I love the little note idea about writing why the unplanned eating fest happened. Insight is often very helpful. But the "beast" is tenacious!

Last edited:
Sorry you had a bad night but way to get right back into it! I was the same way before, where I'd get disappointed and give up and gain it all back. So it's important to remember that we all have bad days.

Congrats on the new position! I'd say that if you're super excited even with the pay cut that it was the right move for you.

If I sense that I'm about to stumble I try to not eat anything and distract myself so that I can think "do I really want to ruin my progress over X?" It definitely doesn't always work and there are times that when I start craving junk food that I can't stop myself. But if I can, I do.

I've definitely had my fair share of getting back on the wagon. I typically get rid of whatever is making my stumble. So if it's a thing of cookies that are too tempting or a pint of ice cream, I toss it. Even if it's mostly full. I know that if the temptation is there I won't be able to right the ship. So it's safer if I just don't have it at all.
It's good you recognize what makes you stumble and toss it. My problem with that is....I will find something to make...and turn it into something "bad", like putting choco chips in oatmeal or on a spoon and dip it in peanut butter or making a crust and adding cinnamon, sugar and butter and making it into pinwheels. So I've had to learn to have things in the house and not eat them. But you have figured out what works best for you and that is great! We will all have very individualized plans. But I love hearing the ideas!

You know....when I think more about it....it's the night time when the "monsters" come out. I'm great during the day, but after dinner....I have to look under my bed!

Hmmm.... I don't really have a tip for getting back on the wagon being that usually when I fall off, I just stay off. But this time I'm serious. And I think this group has a lot to do with it. I had two days that weren't so good this week, but I loved coming on here and reading the encouragement and how other people are handling their journey. So... I guess that's a tip in and of itself. Take the time to realize I'm not perfect and reading about others who have had so much success despite their stumbles-- it's such an inspiration!

As for squashing the temptation before it starts... that's an everyday battle right there. I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas, and it has been my worst enemy in trying to loose weight!

Someone else mentioned weighing (ha ha) whether or not that item is worth it. For me, (and this just happened yesterday actually with the candy in the office!) I try to remember that one little whatever (Snickers) was what got me into this situation over time and that that one little thing is not worth it in the long run. Sometimes, like yesterday, the sweets win.... but other times I have been perfectly successful in not eating it and not even missing it.

Another one of my tips is to go ahead and plan for the sweet ahead of time. If I know I have a sweet planned at the end of the night, I can easily say no during the day. Or if I have a sweet coffee in the morning, I don't crave the sweets through the day or at night. Since this is a lifestyle change, I am trying to figure out ways to keep things I love, but in smaller portions or in healthy alternative. So either way, it's giving into my sweet addiction but in planned moderation.

Gah! I wish I had that will power-- I usually just eat it to get rid of it! Although, one thing I'm really good at is not buying ANYTHING sweet and then going bonkers at home wanting something, then breaking down and baking something that I have the ingredients for-- which is typically worse than if I had just had something small or pre-portioned or sugar free. Not a good plan. So like I said before, I have to plan this stuff out in moderation!

Gah! I wish I had that will power-- I usually just eat it to get rid of it! Although, one thing I'm really good at is not buying ANYTHING sweet and then going bonkers at home wanting something, then breaking down and baking something that I have the ingredients for-- which is typically worse than if I had just had something small or pre-portioned or sugar free. Not a good plan. So like I said before, I have to plan this stuff out in moderation!

I definitely don't have that willpower all the time! But if I act when I have that moment of just wanting it gone then I can toss it and I usually feel much better afterwards! I do something similar although usually just make DH run to Mcdonald's to get ice cream or something. Also not a great plan.

Today is a food day at work and there are brownies, cookies, pastries, donuts....the list goes on and on! Fortunately all the really bad things are full of gluten-y badness which I can't eat so that limits me to fruits, veggies, and the hummus and GF bagel chips that I brought (and subsequently tracked!) But still...all those smells so close to me. I just want to eat them all! Why do people do this to us??

After reading all these posts day after day....does anyone doubt that learning to eat correctly is one of the biggest challenges we each have to face...day, after day, after day? It is painful! Learning to live with the pain....and yes it is real pain....of not being able to eat something you really, really want...is sometimes just like torture! But I have to give each and every one of you the greatest respect and admiration for continuing to "battle for your health!" You are all an inspiration to me....and it brings tears to my eyes when I hear your struggles and your triumphs! Most people in my life do not understand and will never be able to imagine what it's like to deal with this "disease." And I do believe it is no different that alcoholism, in this regard. The dynamics are the same. Most people don't understand this either. My sister....who has always been thin...just thinks...."stop eating so much." People who have never had to deal with this struggle, just think it's so easy! Do any of you know people who try and hide what they've eaten, so the blamers won't see the evidence? I do. There is guilt and shame attached to the binging and friends, including family can often be critical and sometimes "mean." With all this being said...we are all here for one another. We DO understand how difficult this is! And I will keep each and every one of you company on this journey.....and together...."we can beat this." Happy End of the Month!

@ThistleMae - I look at it as we're addicts to food. And we have to reprogram ourselves and think every day and every hour about what we are putting into our bodies. It's going to be a never-ending temptation and a slippery slope if we don't maintain awareness.

I love that everyone here is so supportive of everyone else. A month has come to a close and our new month is ready to begin.

Not the most amazing month. Its been pretty brutal to be honest. I'll end this challenge at 39% of goal. I'm disappointed but will continue on. I haven't been able to even participate much over the past week with my computer debacle. I won't join in this challenge in November since I'll be at WDW and I KNOW I will gain there. However I may possible jump back in in December.

Not the most amazing month. Its been pretty brutal to be honest. I'll end this challenge at 39% of goal. I'm disappointed but will continue on. I haven't been able to even participate much over the past week with my computer debacle. I won't join in this challenge in November since I'll be at WDW and I KNOW I will gain there. However I may possible jump back in in December.
Just keep going! I'll be in Disney for November as well. My goal is not to gain any weight, although I'll lose some before I go and hope to just level off...because I will gain some weight while there...that goes without saying. Please come back in December! We can struggle together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter