• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 5

Anyone have any idea what could come next for DCL if Mexico doesn't work out? Since travel warnings for Mexico are often issued, and since two cruise lines have recently pulled out of Los Angeles specifically because of the dangers associated with Mexico, what would be next on the DCL/Wonder plan?

I am very excited about Alaska. What else might they do for the other half of the year if Mexico becomes a problem? Could Hawaii be a viable regular route? Have there been any discussions about South American stops?

I am soooo excited to have the Wonder in my own backyard. I would love to see a notable Disney presence--beyond the ship--in the Port of Los Angeles --like stepping in and re-visioning the beautiful but long-faltering Ports O' Call Village. A Disney's Seaport Village, perhaps--an oceanside downtown Disney of sorts that still pays homage to the local history and community?? That would give them a dignified--and Disneyfied--permanent parking spot, up their profile in the Port of Los Angeles, create local jobs, and continue the theme of improvement that has been going on in San Pedro over the last few years......although, they probably thought all of this through long before the Wonder arrived on LA's doorstep...But I can dream! Any thoughts?

Sadly the stamp act makes Hawaii impossible without adding 4 days to a cruise for a trip to Fanning island and back. Also, Fanning requires self tendering and none of the current life boats on Disney Cruise line are designed as such.

I expect we'll see DCL in Hawaii, but only as a stop on a trans-pacific repositioning.

We're back home in IOWA. The white "sand" here that I've been shoveling is deep, cold and wet! What's wrong with this beach!!!! :confused3

Dick and I both agreed this vacation was THE BEST we've ever had. And the DIS group added a lot to that decision. THANK YOU!!!!! to everyone who organized all of our special events. We did appreciate your efforts. :flower3:

We haven't been on a PC before, but are Platinum cruisers and agree that Disney was not up to it's usual highest standards. Maybe they were too distracted by the DREAM. We had new servers who were nice and tried but did not treat us with the exceptional service we now expect from DCL. And my biggest problem was communication about events. I wanted to have a session with "Ducky" SOOOOOO bad! I kept checking the navigators and finally went to Guest Services to ask how you sign up and was told it was announced on the PA the first afternoon and all spaces were filled. Announced? while people are boarding and unpacking????

I didn't need more dessert, but accidentally walked past the atrium when the dessert buffet in Triton's was starting. Usually our servers tell us about it after dinner or I read it.

And the limited Edition pins! Disney lost money on that one. I would have bought a complete set if I could walk in and buy them. I didn't wait in the lines and thought it was insulting to make people who really did want them wait that long and to spend hours of their vacation time. One set should have been available for each cabin.

OK......enough about disappointments. The cruise was WONDERFUL!!! It's Disney's fault that we expect things to be exceptional!!!

My favorite port excursion was swimming and playing with the Dolphins in Puerto Vallarta! I loved it!!! And the ATV Adventure in Cabo was defiantly an Adventure! A lot more rugged then we thought it'd be, but enjoyable.

I hope we'll cruise with MANY of you again! What a great group of DISers. :grouphug:

Anyone booked the Magic TA for this May? My "college age "kids" are trying to get us to go on that.

Tonight I'm putting my pictures into my digital frame so I can relive the good times on my desk at work. :surfweb:

THANKS EVERYONE for being a part of our best vacation!!!!

Barb
and DH Dick

Sadly the stamp act makes Hawaii impossible without adding 4 days to a cruise for a trip to Fanning island and back. Also, Fanning requires self tendering and none of the current life boats on Disney Cruise line are designed as such.

I expect we'll see DCL in Hawaii, but only as a stop on a trans-pacific repositioning.
I believe they can do a L.A. to Vancuver repo and vice versa if they stop in Ensenada and Victoria. Here is to wishing. Jeff did you get to drive the Monorail here?

And the limited Edition pins! Disney lost money on that one. I would have bought a complete set if I could walk in and buy them. I didn't wait in the lines and thought it was insulting to make people who really did want them wait that long and to spend hours of their vacation time. One set should have been available for each cabin.
That's what they did in '08 after the mess of '05. Oh well. You just have to make the best out of it. I know we did. We got our pins, we are happy. Like I said, overall this was a great trip. I whished I got to meet some of you but for whatever reason that did not happen. The things that were bad on the trip did not make me want to jump ship on DCL and I am sure they will do what it takes to correct the problems.

I believe they can do a L.A. to Vancuver repo and vice versa if they stop in Ensenada and Victoria. Here is to wishing. Jeff did you get to drive the Monorail here?

That would be lovely...So is there a general feeling of confidence that Mexico will be a successful route? I have read about concerns and am curious which point of view has the strongest case--and really wondering what would happen next if Mexico--or Alaska for that matter--didn't fly...Would they take the Wonder back to the east coast? Can they run four ships over there?

I am also wondering why there was no fanfare upon the Wonder's arrival. There were billboards around Los Angeles for months before the cruise, showing the ship flying in on the "UP" balloons...but once we got here...quiet, quiet, quiet...Trying to get a fix on what Disney has in mind...

That would be lovely...So is there a general feeling of confidence that Mexico will be a successful route? I have read about concerns and am curious which point of view has the strongest case--and really wondering what would happen next if Mexico--or Alaska for that matter--didn't fly...Would they take the Wonder back to the east coast? Can they run four ships over there?

I am also wondering why there was no fanfare upon the Wonder's arrival. There were billboards around Los Angeles for months before the cruise, showing the ship flying in on the "UP" balloons...but once we got here...quiet, quiet, quiet...Trying to get a fix on what Disney has in mind...

Well first off Disney will be at the Port of L.A. till at least 2013 so no worries there. Second, when I came over on the Magic in '05 everyone thought there would be some huge thing that was going to happen. Nope. I think it is because the ship docks at like 5:30 in the morning.

Well first off Disney will be at the Port of L.A. till at least 2013 so no worries there. Second, when I came over on the Magic in '05 everyone thought there would be some huge thing that was going to happen. Nope. I think it is because the ship docks at like 5:30 in the morning.

Well...I get the lack of celebration when we "pulled into the driveway"--it WAS very early AND they had to turn right around for the cruise-to-nowhere...but I thought there might be some kind of official Los Angeles welcome at some point--even if it is later...but I haven't heard a peep...

Well...I get the lack of celebration when we "pulled into the driveway"--it WAS very early AND they had to turn right around for the cruise-to-nowhere...but I thought there might be some kind of official Los Angeles welcome at some point--even if it is later...but I haven't heard a peep...
I would not hold my breath on that one.

That's what they did in '08 after the mess of '05. Oh well. You just have to make the best out of it. I know we did. We got our pins, we are happy. Like I said, overall this was a great trip. I whished I got to meet some of you but for whatever reason that did not happen. The things that were bad on the trip did not make me want to jump ship on DCL and I am sure they will do what it takes to correct the problems.

Alan,
I didn't get to meet you as we didn't do a whole lot of adult activities this cruise. Were you and your wife the first ones in line for pins on one of the first 3 pin releases (don't remember which day it was). I just remember seeing a lady sitting right outside Treasure Ketch with a laptop on her lap one day as I was doing a quick pin line check from our deck 5 room.

Alan,
I didn't get to meet you as we didn't do a whole lot of adult activities this cruise. Were you and your wife the first ones in line for pins on one of the first 3 pin releases (don't remember which day it was). I just remember seeing a lady sitting right outside Treasure Ketch with a laptop on her lap one day as I was doing a quick pin line check from our deck 5 room.

If it was a iPad for either the Aruba or the PC pin, I can't remember either, that was us.

I seriously think our party was in the minority on this cruise, we had incredible service, not a knock anywhere outside of a few indiivdiual incidents. We're not planners on board, so we missed all the hoopla over the event schedules. We had incredible servers and stellar service from everyone. There were a fair amount of staff who didn't know things or about things, but their attitudes and service made up for any minutes lost waiting.
It wasn't all puppy dogs and rainbows on board, we had guest service managers in our room twice to aplogize for things, but the guest recovery more than made up for the initial infraction. Maybe because I was told how bad everything was on board I was pleasently surprised, but everyone in our party was exceptionally happy with the service on board... YMMV

Just some random photos to reminisce by:

Waiting for Aruba pins:
IMG_1705.jpg

Nearing the Canal:
IMG_1833.jpg

We're going to fit through THAT?!!
IMG_1879.jpg

I would never dream of selling any of my wonderful FE gifts.Brooklyn we love your pin and it is very special to us beccause it reminds us of you and your family and all the time we spent together on the TA MEd and PC.

Thanks Charlotte, it was great seeing you guys again!!! I hope we can sail together again soon.

We talked to the Captain about Hawaii and he said it could be pulled off with a 2 to 3 hour stop in Ensenda....fingers crossed!!!

I seriously think our party was in the minority on this cruise, we had incredible service, not a knock anywhere outside of a few indiivdiual incidents...We had incredible servers and stellar service from everyone. ...everyone in our party was exceptionally happy with the service on board... YMMV

I am with you there, one hundred percent. I have nary a complaint. All the folks providing service to us went above and beyond in my estimation. Heck, I didn't even have an opportunity to earn an apology...I am pretty low-key and easy going, and I don't sweat much anyway, but honestly, everyone was positively wonderful--and a gazillion times kinder and more cheerful than "the real world"... Every day was a delight :0)

If it was a iPad for either the Aruba or the PC pin, I can't remember either, that was us.

It probably was an iPad. I'm pretty sure it was PC because it was in the morning. I had just woke up and walked down in my PJs to do a quick check. I saw you were the only ones in line so I went back to the room to get dressed and then get some breakfast. If I'd known it was you I could have brought you some breakfast or coffee. :)

LOVE the pics wideeyedwonder!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter