• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend when we puppy-sat for Ben and Kristie, I was walking down the hall headed to the kitchen and I heard 2 feet hit the kitchen floor. By the time I got around the corner - Tracker (our dog) was in his crate.
TrackerIWasBad.jpg

They KNOW when they done wrong - I am just sure of it!
LookingGuilty.jpg

And not only did he have that guilty look, Chief (grandpup) was trying to clean him up!
Chiefcleaningup.jpg

Wait - I almost got it all...
CheifDestroyingEvidence.jpg

OK - I didn't get in the pot of spagetti sauce simmering (yep, simmering, burner on) on the stove, can I get outa here now???
CanIcomeoutnow.jpg

I was too busy trying not to laugh but I never latched the door to the crate. But one of these days, he is going to burn his paws.

Gail?

Congrats on the engagment.

As for the fur kids? Gotta love them especially when they put that "Who, me" look on their faces. Glad he didn't get burned. And last, you know you can't let them see you laugh. :rotfl2:

Hi there everyone -

So...long story short, DH and I (Connie) made reservations this morning for one of the THREE rooms left for this cruise. Last minute decision, since we are already booked on the 12-30-2010 Wonder cruise, and live in the LA/OC area. :dance3:

Too shell-shocked at this point to be as excited as I know I will be. I need to get a grip on the fact that 1) DH is going to be on a ship for 21 days (he's a little ADHD), 2)We get to see the Panama Canal, 3)I just made reservations for a cruise that leaves in like 40 days.

Anyway, I wanted to check in with everyone, and start to make some friends. I am depending on you people to help keep DH entertained for a couple weeks. :grouphug:

So, nice to meet you. I will be checking in regularly.

Welcome; we are Bob & Val from San Francisco. I would recommend you read page one of the postings. There is a lot of great information on some of the events we are planning on. See you January. Val

You guys are killing me with the dentist talk!

The night before our last cruise I woke to a full blown tooth infection!

We flew in the day before, then I woke up at 2:00AM in sooo much pain. By five AM I could not even talk. We still made the cruise after a trip to the "emergency dentist" .... OHHHH, it didn't end there! The antibotics didn't work and before it was all said and done I had to get a bone graft (in my jaw) and an implant! (mind you I always see my dentist for cleanings and check-ups!)

I actually just went to my dentist Friday, so he could peek at me chomper ... NEVER want to repeat that again! It's been on my mind the past few weeks!

Hi there everyone -

So...long story short, DH and I (Connie) made reservations this morning for one of the THREE rooms left for this cruise. Last minute decision, since we are already booked on the 12-30-2010 Wonder cruise, and live in the LA/OC area. :dance3:

Too shell-shocked at this point to be as excited as I know I will be. I need to get a grip on the fact that 1) DH is going to be on a ship for 21 days (he's a little ADHD), 2)We get to see the Panama Canal, 3)I just made reservations for a cruise that leaves in like 40 days.

Anyway, I wanted to check in with everyone, and start to make some friends. I am depending on you people to help keep DH entertained for a couple weeks. :grouphug:

Hi, we're Sherri and Alan (57 and 58) from Columbia, MD. Our DD is a "star" in the entertainment on the boat!! OK OK Jen, she's in the shows!! She's best friends with Andy and Anne Marie, so look out for her!!

Three rooms!! i read later and prob you are right, not 3 rooms but 3 categories!

Hi Connie and George. Great to see you, and so pleased you booked!!! It is going to be a fantastic cruise, and I just can't wait.

Goodness though, 40 days!!!

FORTY DAYS!! AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!! But Granmaz is right - this will be a great cruise and it seems this is a great group - many friendships made already on line and many of us hoping to make friends while on the boat!

Well, the way my TA put it when I was making reservations, there were three staterooms to pick from; maybe he was only talking about cat 10, which was what we got (#1047).

I would much prefer cat 7, which is the category we have had in the past. But, when you make a last minute reservation, what are you going to do? Take what you can get, and hope that someone cancels and we can upgrade closer to the sail date.

Although I was telling my TA that maybe we would just stay in the stateroom from the 12-30 cruise, and be "squatters" :rotfl2: If we sweet talk our host/hostess, they might be on our side. ;)

As it is, we will be on deck 1, close to the medical center. On the bright side, there aren't a lot of staterooms on that deck, so it will be quiet, AND we will be right there @ the gangway; 1st ones off the ship at port!! :cool1:

As you can see, I am getting a grip already, and starting to look forward to this cruise. We'll get to see football playoffs on the ship, won't we? That's good.

Wow, that's a lot of days on a ship! I'm nervouse about 2 weeks!

So Welcome and visit the board at least twice a day now or you wont keep up is what i've found!! :goodvibes

When do you work this week? We should be going back to MK at least 2 more days this week. We could stop by and say Hi if you're working.

All the men stayed at MK until 3am last night! :eek:

Hey :)

I am working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week :) My shifts are all the same: I go in at 9:00pm and leave at 3:15am! Gotta love the crazy mouse hours, lol. I will be on stock so look for me on the floor. My name badge says "Holly Manchester, NH" Feel free to stop by I would leave to meet anyone!

Holly

You guys are killing me with the dentist talk!

The night before our last cruise I woke to a full blown tooth infection!

We flew in the day before, then I woke up at 2:00AM in sooo much pain. By five AM I could not even talk. We still made the cruise after a trip to the "emergency dentist" .... OHHHH, it didn't end there! The antibotics didn't work and before it was all said and done I had to get a bone graft (in my jaw) and an implant! (mind you I always see my dentist for cleanings and check-ups!)

I actually just went to my dentist Friday, so he could peek at me chomper ... NEVER want to repeat that again! It's been on my mind the past few weeks!

I actually chipped my front tooth pretty good the night before we left for WDW/cruise last December. It didn't hurt but the last thing I wanted was a big ole chip in my teeth in the pictures. I was flying out of Dallas so I called my mom and they squeezed me in with the dentist she works for. It was fixed and I was on my merry way! Much easier than what you had to deal with! Sorry about the ordeal you had. At least it happened before you left instead of on the cruise. DH and I were just wondering if they have dentists on these multi month cruises. Seems like there would have to be.

I actually chipped my front tooth pretty good the night before we left for WDW/cruise last December. It didn't hurt but the last thing I wanted was a big ole chip in my teeth in the pictures. I was flying out of Dallas so I called my mom and they squeezed me in with the dentist she works for. It was fixed and I was on my merry way! Much easier than what you had to deal with! Sorry about the ordeal you had. At least it happened before you left instead of on the cruise. DH and I were just wondering if they have dentists on these multi month cruises. Seems like there would have to be.

Actually Shirley (the perfect gift Shirley) bailed out a previous dis cruiser by recommending a dentist in Cocoa Beach. Apparently he turned out to be fabulous. Dental emergencies, at least before sailing, I don't worry about any more.

bumping this incase someone hasn't seen it

I hope to purchase a new color printer this coming weekend so I'll be able to print out the nametags to go with our wonderful lanyards! They will also fit in the Disney-provided lanyards too![/QUOTE]

I don't know if we replied to this or not, but would love to be included. Let me know what I need to do. :goodvibes

Good morning and congrats to all that have received their cabin assignments. How exciting. And, for those of you still residing in the lifeboats, here is hoping you get your assignment today.

Not much happening in MI this morning. Going to oldest DS's house for dinner tonight and then tomorrow is Frankenmuth to meet the in-laws to be. Since we Facebook together, it won't be too much of a shock to the system but I do hope that DH behaves (that is a tall order).

Have a great day all, I will pop in later.

How fun! I used to love going to Frankenmuth especially to finish the day at Zanders

Hello! I know I've posted before checking to see if there was any interest. There seemed to be so here's what I've come up with. Thanks mom4mad for your help in ironing out some of the details. :goodvibes If anyone has any other ideas on how to make it go more smoothly, please feel free to share. Linda- Can you please post this on page 1? Thanks!

I was thinking that I would post a list of all of the ports, each restaurant, and maybe some things like "sea day", "Pirate night", "Golden Mickeys", embarkation", "lifeboat drill", "Panama Canal day", etc and we could each sign up for a theme. Then everyone would make a 2 page 12x12 spread (for yourself) and bring it with you to show off and for others to get ideas from, also take a picture and print out a copy for each person participating. Then just bring enough of all of the things you used: stickers, titles, mats, photo corners, tags, and the paper of course etc for each participant. This way people can re-create the page you made using the photo as a guide, or if they prefer a slightly different style or size book they could use the supplies as they see fit. Everything except for the paper would fit into ziplock bags easily so the "kits" would be easy to pass out.

I'm thinking we would do it on a sea day sometime after Aruba because I know there's that Walmart there and if anyone wanted maybe they could even print a few pics to work with. Then we could meet up somewhere and show off our pages we made and pass out the "kits" we are trading. Then if people want to stay and work and talk they can but if some are busy they can just trade and go. I have a DCL punch and maybe a few other things I could bring for people to use if they want to.

Please let me know if you are intereted and which port/theme you would like, remember it's first come first served on the choices and a PM might be best so I don't miss it. :rotfl:
Embarktion Day/Port Canaveral
Lifeboat Drill
Castaway Cay
Aruba
Panama Canal
Puntarenas
Manzanillo
Puerto Vallarta
Cabo San Lucas
Debarktion Day/Port of LA
Day at Sea
Pirate Night
Golden Mickeys
Prince & Princess
Mexicali
Captain's Gala
Animator's Palate
Parrot Cay
Tritons

Welcome all the new families!!

SOLD OUT??:eek:

Have to work on door signs. All travel details have been handled. I won't be on during the next week or so. Between the holidays, my Dad visiting and the completion of our new house I will be busy.

For any and all traveling - be safe.

For all at Disney or headed to Disney - have a great time.

Hey :)

I am working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week :) My shifts are all the same: I go in at 9:00pm and leave at 3:15am! Gotta love the crazy mouse hours, lol. I will be on stock so look for me on the floor. My name badge says "Holly Manchester, NH" Feel free to stop by I would leave to meet anyone!

Holly

Hi, Holly,

I'll be at WDW next week. I'll try to look you up if you're working then.

Judy

Holly, Wow, those hours are mad!

On a whim, I decided to check out our cruise. Expedia no longer have it listed on their site and DCL are only offering a Cat 11b in GTY status. The GTY bit surprised me as I thought they would know what rooms they had available.

Guess we are pretty much full!

-Kay

I tried to PM you but it would not go through. I was wondering if you got the reservations for the dining for World of Color.

As you know now, we did get our reservations for Ariel's Grotto for the 4 of us. My screen name is one long word...maybe that's why the PM didn't work.

Hi there everyone -
So...long story short, DH and I (Connie) made reservations this morning for one of the THREE rooms left for this cruise. Last minute decision, since we are already booked on the 12-30-2010 Wonder cruise, and live in the LA/OC area. :dance3:Too shell-shocked at this point to be as excited as I know I will be. I need to get a grip on the fact that 1) DH is going to be on a ship for 21 days (he's a little ADHD), 2)We get to see the Panama Canal, 3)I just made reservations for a cruise that leaves in like 40 days. Anyway, I wanted to check in with everyone, and start to make some friends. I am depending on you people to help keep DH entertained for a couple weeks. :grouphug:
Well, the way my TA put it when I was making reservations, there were three staterooms to pick from; maybe he was only talking about cat 10, which was what we got (#1047).
As it is, we will be on deck 1, close to the medical center. On the bright side, there aren't a lot of staterooms on that deck, so it will be quiet, AND we will be right there @ the gangway; 1st ones off the ship at port!! :cool1:

Welcome!
We finally have some company on Deck 1...we're in #1043.
Looking forward to meeting you.

I got mine on Friday but I had to finish the PC book first and I did. That was a tough read but I am happy to have the history, just pretty dry.

I agree...I pushed myself through 2 books about the PC -- "Portrait of the PC" and "PC by Cruise Ship". I expected the latter to be more about the ports of call, but I found that part lacking, and actually found the book more worthwhile for its history on the Canal.

I felt the same way about both books...very dry. But as you said, it's good to have the history.

Curious to know how everyone is choosing to stay in touch with the rest of the world while on the cruise? Thought maybe I'd outline the options I was thinking of, and I'd love to hear from the expert cruisers (especially those who have done the PC before and can report back on hidden expenses in PC-exclusive ports).

1) DCL emergency ship-to-shore - I will be leaving this number with family at home. I believe it costs $6.95/minute.

2) Sprint - I contacted their Int'l Help Desk. They enabled our phones for Int'l use. There was no charge for this, and no change to our account or current package (we only have voice/text...no web). Here are the charges I was quoted should we use the phones during the trip:

On the cruise ship:
$2.49/min - Voice
$0.50 - Send text
$0.05 - Receive text
No data (internet, pictures, etc)

Aruba:
$1.99/min - Voice
$0.50 - Send text
$0.05 - Receive text

Costa Rica:
No service.

Mexico (Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas):
$1.69/min - Voice
$0.50 - Send text
$0.15 - Receive text

3) BlackBerry - I have a BlackBerry for work, but it is only for e-mail & web (the web connection is very slow). It does not have voice capabilities. Can I assume this will work for e-mail contact? Or should I check with my employer?

4) iPad - In a previous post, I saw reference to iPads. I am completely naive about iPads & iPhones. But I would seriously consider getting an iPad if it's the best way to stay in touch on this cruise. Other than buying the device, what other costs would this entail? Also, where would you safely store this? I assume the safe is not big enough.

5) Laptop - Anyone bringing their laptop?

I'd love to be able to stay in touch via text and/or e-mail with home...voice only in case of emergency. So anyone with advice on the best way to do this, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Good Morning Cruisers,

Welcome to the new cruisers- I"m looking forward to meeting lots of dissers? on the ship. Congratulations to the newly engaged couple(s). I love the pictures and story of the doggies and spaghetti sauce- I've had a few of that type of event myself. LOL

Busy couple of days here- Today I'm giving a test in my Health classes and collecting the last of the work for this unit. All of it has to be entered into the grade book computer program today since I don't know if I'll be back teaching these classes after Thanksgiving or not (teacher I'm subbing for is considering coming back before being released by the Dr after a knee replacement- he's supposed to let me know today if he'll be back or not after the holiday.) Tomorrow after school DD#3, DH , Niece Kelsey and I have a date to see the new Harry Potter film, then tag a Christmas tree, and buy a new tree topper. I also have to pick up my packet for the local Turkey Trot (5K) on Thanksgiving day, and get something ready for the dessert carry in for our churches Thanksgiving Eve service. Thanksgiving (thankfully) is a BIL home so I dont' have to worry about that, except to get our dishes ready (very easy as most of the hard stuff is done).

Have a great Holiday week

GOOD Morning, Happy Cruisers!

Scrapbooking
Hello! I know I've posted before checking to see if there was any interest. There seemed to be so here's what I've come up with. Thanks mom4mad for your help in ironing out some of the details. :goodvibes If anyone has any other ideas on how to make it go more smoothly, please feel free to share. Linda- Can you please post this on page 1? Thanks!

I was thinking that I would post a list of all of the ports, each restaurant, and maybe some things like "sea day", "Pirate night", "Golden Mickeys", embarkation", "lifeboat drill", "Panama Canal day", etc and we could each sign up for a theme. Then everyone would make a 2 page 12x12 spread (for yourself) and bring it with you to show off and for others to get ideas from, also take a picture and print out a copy for each person participating. Then just bring enough of all of the things you used: stickers, titles, mats, photo corners, tags, and the paper of course etc for each participant. This way people can re-create the page you made using the photo as a guide, or if they prefer a slightly different style or size book they could use the supplies as they see fit. Everything except for the paper would fit into ziplock bags easily so the "kits" would be easy to pass out.

I'm thinking we would do it on a sea day sometime after Aruba because I know there's that Walmart there and if anyone wanted maybe they could even print a few pics to work with. Then we could meet up somewhere and show off our pages we made and pass out the "kits" we are trading. Then if people want to stay and work and talk they can but if some are busy they can just trade and go. I have a DCL punch and maybe a few other things I could bring for people to use if they want to.

Please let me know if you are intereted and which port/theme you would like, remember it's first come first served on the choices and a PM might be best so I don't miss it. :rotfl:
Embarktion Day/Port Canaveral
Lifeboat Drill
Castaway Cay
Aruba
Panama Canal
Puntarenas
Manzanillo
Puerto Vallarta
Cabo San Lucas
Debarktion Day/Port of LA
Day at Sea
Pirate Night
Golden Mickeys
Prince & Princess
Mexicali
Captain's Gala
Animator's Palate
Parrot Cay
Tritons

Posted on page 1 Post 2.

The "Contact" information from DVCinderella has also been posted on page one. If you have information about other suppliers, please pm me and I will add it to that post.

I agree...I pushed myself through 2 books about the PC -- "Portrait of the PC" and "PC by Cruise Ship". I expected the latter to be more about the ports of call, but I found that part lacking, and actually found the book more worthwhile for its history on the Canal.

I felt the same way about both books...very dry. But as you said, it's good to have the history.

BBC did a documentary series on 7 wonders of the industrial world. One episode was Panama Canal. I watched it again yesterday. An amazing history and the number of people that died of yellow fever 000's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter