From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people think they have done it and go on to something else, but it is just such a great cruise!!! Lots to see.

You are so right. The best part is when it is all over I don't have to fly anywhere as I am home.

Hello all! In light of the recent strong Aussie dollar against the US, we are paid in full. Hurray! No backing out now...

You are so right. The best part is when it is all over I don't have to fly anywhere as I am home.

Plus, look where you live!!!!!

We should be flying back to Orlando but we are waiting to get the return flights from the UK first, then plan the West coast part of the trip to see where we fly from.

I love southwest, especially because of the baggage policy. Being a scuba diver going on longer cruises is not fun. No matter what I have at least 2 checked bags: My Suit Bag (own my tux), and my scuba gear...and what the heck is the point of living in Minnesota and owning scuba gear if it doesn't go with you on vacation? And then it's to hope I can pack a week or longer worth of clothes in a carry on. Yes the life of those of us who like to breathe underwater is rough...I'm so excited for all the different ports and opportunities! :banana:

omg, you have a full set of scuba gear that you TRAVEL with? wow... i'm a PADI scuba diver. i was debating getting my own wet suit and maybe just the rubber mouthpiece if possible (i'm slightly grossed out by knowing that those things get reused over and over and over again, but i don't think they sell them without the whole regulator set). i'm assuming you just rent tanks, but do you have everything else? i'm so excited to do some diving!

every big trip/job i go on, i get a new electronic toy. this time, i think i am going to get a new underwater digital camera for diving. do you have any suggestions? i'm hoping to keep it under $400 (which is still a LOT, but i'm looking for a starting point, you know?). i'm not a professional, but those cheap throw aways don't do it for divers, and i refuse to take my digital camera underwater in a case, i don't trust those. so i want to get a real dive camera. so excited! i got a few suggestions and found a few ideas with my own research, but wonder if you have any other ideas?

We travel with our own gear as well. I am trying to decide what wetsuit we would would want for this trip. We are also really looking forward to getting into the water.

Hi and welcome. You are going to love this cruise. We did in in 2008!!

Helloooooo!!! Since you have done this cruise before would you mind sharing some of what you think are must see's or do's at our port calls. What is something that you would say is a MUST??:cutie: Thanks for sharing!:cutie:

I do have my own set that I dive with and just rent tanks and weights. It's nice having your own regulator that you know and trust. Not to mention, when you have a regulator...airport security LOVES YOU! You stand in line, your bag goes through, and they stare and an item in a bag that has hoses going to what appears to be some sort of mechanical device connected to a small cylinder (places like Orlando where they see this more often are a lot less freak out about it). You definitely could get your own mouthpiece with ties and bring it with and ask if they'd like you pop it on. Just go to your local dive shop and ask about a replacement mouthpiece, they're not even all that expensive.

As far as cameras I'm afraid I'm not a good one to ask. I spent like $50 on a point and shoot old style 35mm that's in a waterproof case. It works, takes decent pictures, and then I just take it to the dive shop and they do the processing with some underwater deal where they take the blues down and get some good color (most of the time).

As far as what wetsuit to take, I haven't decided either, I'll probably end up taking both my 5/7 full and my 2/3 shortie. I dove with my 5/7 in nassau in february and was very comfortable...caused a boyancy issue because I didn't do my calculations for weight before I left and I absentmindedly trusted the dive shop without thinking about what my normal weight set was and missed a free shark dive as a result and had my panic experience...but that's a story for another time :)

Helloooooo!!! Since you have done this cruise before would you mind sharing some of what you think are must see's or do's at our port calls. What is something that you would say is a MUST??:cutie: Thanks for sharing!:cutie:

We aren't big port excursion people really so other who have been will have to help you there. I do know that the Zip Line in Puerta Vallarta was a huge hit. We did a land and sea excursion at Cabo, and enjoyed that, getting a good idea of the place and some great views. Fortunately for you all we are NOT doing Acapulco this time - that was not a popular place at all and many complained. This time we get Costa Rica and another Mexican port ?Manzanillo, so I'm looking forward to those.

As far as cameras I'm afraid I'm not a good one to ask. I spent like $50 on a point and shoot old style 35mm that's in a waterproof case. It works, takes decent pictures, and then I just take it to the dive shop and they do the processing with some underwater deal where they take the blues down and get some good color (most of the time).

As far as what wetsuit to take, I haven't decided either, I'll probably end up taking both my 5/7 full and my 2/3 shortie. I dove with my 5/7 in nassau in february and was very comfortable...caused a boyancy issue because I didn't do my calculations for weight before I left and I absentmindedly trusted the dive shop without thinking about what my normal weight set was and missed a free shark dive as a result and had my panic experience...but that's a story for another time :)

ah, ok. i keep trying to ask opinions on the cameras, but i have a couple more weeks, probably up to a month, before i can get around to buying anything anyway.

shark dive, huh? i cant convince myself hehe though in thailand when we got our certification, it was right after that huge typhoon and i got seriously attacked by a jellyfish (over 200 stings on one leg- vinegar and baking soda were my friends for about 4 months, until a derm finally took over and helped fix it for real, which took another 2 months). after that, i just don't know about sharks hehe even the smaller ones. where there are smaller ones, there are bigger ones waiting to eat them for dinner! haha

while i don't know what the weather will be like once we leave the florida area, i can tell you that the water in florida in January was too cold to swim in at Castaway (and in fact, when we went January 2009, they cancelled ALL water activities anyway), and the water in LA that time of year tends to be cold too. so it's probably better to bring a full, not a shortie. but again, i have no idea what will be in the middle as far as dive conditions are concerned. i can't decide which to buy. a full is probably a better investment since it can be used more often. i would probably not even wear a suit in warm weather. we did our first dive in Cozumel one april with no suits at all, and we were fine.

so how are you all planning to dive? are you doing ship excursions, or finding local dive shops? once i get on the ship in a few weeks, i won't have the time or ability to really research them, so i'd love if we could have a bit of a dive info share, since we'll probably do a few dives together (or at least the same places).

so you think it's possible to get just a mouthpiece? hm... maybe i'll look into that for sure!

we don't dive enough to make buying everything worth it. most places have really good all inclusive deals. we did catalina back in may, and it was $70 for everything, full rentals, and 2 hrs with the dive leader (we have a basic certification; we decided we would never dive in a new place without someone who knows the area coming with us anyway, so we didn't do the certification to plan our own dives, so we have to dive with someone).

we're still pretty new, so i carry my dive log book, which i keep detailed notes in about what type of suit i wore, my standard weightbelt and such, how much hair consumed, etc. it's silly, but you know, better safe than sorry!

but i'm gonna buy some snorkel gear to keep in my cabin, since i'm the only certified scuba diver in my group. one guy is thinking of getting certified, but i don't think he will in time. so i may not go too often. but i definitely plan to get out when possible!

Earplugs for them? :)
:goodvibes
If you think driving in the US is bad, we are in Naples at the moment - driving is insane. Totally and utterly. I have seen babies being held in front seats of cars, kids on mopeds with no helmets - all this with totally nutty driving going on. Mad, mad, mad!

Love this idea and would love to participate.

The kids school used dotphoto.com last year to upload photos for the school yearbook.

One thing I have noticed about some photo sites is the ability to download is limited (perhaps one photo at a time). dotphoto allows you to download a page of photos at once, but perhaps something else out there is more flexible.

Still catching up on posts...

Heading to Rome later on today. Hope it will be more pleasant than Naples! :lmao: (though Vesuvius and Pompeii were interesting)

-Kay

I dont think its bad at all driving in usa, I love it, Edinburgh is hellish, and yes weve landed in Naples and went up the coast on a bue, the bus took out a moped at every coremr and just kept going, lovely coast line, very wyndy, Naples was FILTHY when we were there.

So we are here at DL and I can't believe I have not noticed how either lazy or just not that smart people are. They allow here for parents to keep strollers unfolded in the first and last car. There are two huge lines, probably a hour long for the tram. These people rather not fold there stroller and wait like a hour than just fold it and get on the next tram.I just don't get it.

Had to share my surprise with someone so who better then a bunch of people my husband does NOT know.....
I am surprising him tomm with a weekend trip to Vegas!!! His birthday just past and he has been wanting a weekend getaway for awhile now so VEGAS HERE WE COME!!!!!:cutie:

Hello all! In light of the recent strong Aussie dollar against the US, we are paid in full. Hurray! No backing out now...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH! (Just saw the link to your Med cruise trippie! Your kids are adorable!

Had to share my surprise with someone so who better then a bunch of people my husband does NOT know.....
I am surprising him tomm with a weekend trip to Vegas!!! His birthday just past and he has been wanting a weekend getaway for awhile now so VEGAS HERE WE COME!!!!!:cutie:

Cool! Where ya staying? (I'm going there after DL after the PC)

My husband is looking into Deep Sea Fishing in Cabo.
There is a TERRIFIC company that has been personally recommended to us by friends who Deep Sea Fish when they go to Mexico.
For a fee you charter the boat size of your choice, with this you get a crew for the day. Charters can be tailored to your needs and they have plenty of experience with Cruise ship passengers.
Check out the website and let me know if anyone else would be interested in going.

http://www.cabo-fishing.net/

We might be interested in this! I sure wish they'd get the excursions posted!?! Very frustrating for us obsessive compulsive dis-ers!

Just got back from a week chaperoning 15 teenagers through the sights of L.A. including 2 days at DL.

I have to say - World of Color is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

What is this and where will I be able to see it?

So we are here at DL and I can't believe I have not noticed how either lazy or just not that smart people are.

You JUST noticed this?!? You must not get out much. :lmao:
I notice it everyday at work. :sad2:

What is this and where will I be able to see it?

World of Color is the new water show at California Adventure. It is remarkable. I don't know if the show is permanent or just for the summer - but given the complexity, I expect it will be around for a while. :cool2:

World of Color is the new water show at California Adventure. It is remarkable. I don't know if the show is permanent or just for the summer - but given the complexity, I expect it will be around for a while. :cool2:

The show is part of the DCA redo. World of Color is here for years. I like personaly but because if the lack of story, I will take Fantasmic over World of Color if I had to choose to see only one and have seen both shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter