From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the reasons we used SmugMug is that photos aren't compressed when uploaded. I know that when I download back from Shutterfly the filesize is different than the original uploaded. For example, I just uploaded a photo that on my computer is 2560x1920 and 1.19MG. But when I downloaded it back to my computer it's 550x400 and 46.2 KB.) In order to get a good quality from the photos you have to order prints from them. But not everyone wants to pay for the prints. With a site that will store original photo size, each individual will get to choose whether or not they want prints from that site, print themselves, or like me use in digital scrapbooks that will get printed later.

Okay, well I never realized the files were compressed since the prints were excellent quality. But since they are, it make sense that it wouldn't work for those not interested in ordering the prints.

I'm not opposed to paying for a site as long as the cost is minimal. Hopefully there will be enough interest to keep the cost per party low :goodvibes.

ETA: I just checked out smugmug and it's only $40.00 a year for the standard and $60.00 for upgraded. That's not bad even with sharing with just a few people. I'll continue to see if I can find something comparable.

ETA: I just checked out smugmug and it's only $40.00 a year for the standard and $60.00 for upgraded. That's not bad even with sharing with just a few people. I'll continue to see if I can find something comparable.

Count me in! I love this idea and would be happy to pay part of the cost to get great quality photos. Last PC cruise I think we took over 400 photos and that was before we had DD so I'm sure this cruise will be at least 800.

I am definitely in - and will happily pay my share for access to quality photos. I only have a point and shoot with a telephoto that's not so great.

Had lunch with one of my cruise mates - unfortunately we had another lady with us, and were a little rushed, so didn't get to say much about it.

My neighbor is scrubbing his roof with a brush. Won't that take the coating off the shingles?

Count me in! I love this idea and would be happy to pay part of the cost to get great quality photos. Last PC cruise I think we took over 400 photos and that was before we had DD so I'm sure this cruise will be at least 800.
Yeah, I think we took over 1500 on the last PC cruise. I seem to take more and more photos each trip. No telling how many I'll come home with from this cruise.

I've been known to wear out cameras I take so many pictures, no matter whether we're on vacation or not. Last summer the camera's internal counter rolled started over while we were at DL. I'd taken over 10,000 photos with it and I'd only had that camera about 8 months. :eek:

It's pay day and the 3rd one of the month so no insurance get taken out. So with the extra money I am buying Harry Potter park tickets from AAA

Sounds good!!! I'll be more than happy to keep a list of those that want to participate. If y'all want me to, I can also collect any payments, set up the account, ect. Just let me know. So far we have:
RRBB
WeLuvDCL
LindaBabe
carmie3377
Jen or Jeff, do you think we could get this added to the website?

For our cruise/WDW trip in Dec (17 days), I took over 2400 pictures! I expect to have just as many this trip. I wonder if we can put tags on the photos and use a search option to locate photos of interest. I'll find out.

I am definitely in - and will happily pay my share for access to quality photos. I only have a point and shoot with a telephoto that's not so great.
We have DSLR with 300 zoom so we'll help get some great shots for you. I also have an underwater camera and if I can brave the cool water temps at CC, I hope to get the Mickey and Minnie!

I have been at the lake with no reliable service of any kind...you have all been very busy here! It will take me weeks to get caught up!

what is going on with bracelets? we were going to order them just to identify us as members of the group, but i saw in my very very light skimming that this is now a fish extender group. We aren't going to do fish externder gifts this tme around (we will have our extender up for notes though), can we still order bracelets? I usually have them customized with our names in case of loss. I have ordered them for past cruises on ebay from someone called woodworknick.

Hello to all the new people!

I can't see any issue with adding a link for the photos to the website. Email/PM Jeff with the specifics. This last week and next week are crazy and I don't want to forget anything

I can't see any issue with adding a link for the photos to the website. Email/PM Jeff with the specifics. This last week and next week are crazy and I don't want to forget anything

Thanks. I won't set up the account until we get back since it does charge a yearly fee. I just thought that perhaps we could put the idea out there like on the FE/Secret Mickey Page. That way, if people aren't checking the thread frequently, they'll have the option to join in. I'll send Jeff a PM in a couple of weeks since he's really busy right now.

Thanks. I won't set up the account until we get back since it does charge a yearly fee. I just thought that perhaps we could put the idea out there like on the FE/Secret Mickey Page. That way, if people aren't checking the thread frequently, they'll have the option to join in. I'll send Jeff a PM in a couple of weeks since he's really busy right now.

Count me in on the photo sharing group!

I'll look into smugmug's options and also check if there are any other sites that we might want to use.

this is a LARGE group of people who will surely take a ton of photos. No matter what photo hosting site you use, one account WILL end up using all of the space allotted since so many people are here and will be uploading photos.

i would consider using photobucket. you can set it up to be password protected (such as disney1 for PCCruiseday1, disney2 for PCCruiseday2, etc).

Make a new account for each day of the sailing. For example:
PCCruiseday1
PCCruiseday2
PCCruiseday3
etc

Then, each dis-boarder would create their own personal folder for that day. So then, within PCCruiseday1, you'd have these folders:
sak0526
tammi0220
jenkatt
etc

Then, each user can choose to make subfolders within their own folder, such as:
First Dinner
Golden Mickeys show
Dolphin Excursion
etc
Of course, you can forgo these subfolders if you don't have the time or patience. you can just upload all of your photos from that day in one swoop. but ifyou are ultra photo organized like myself, subfolders are really nice! and can help people navigate through your pictures easier. but it's optional.

Sounds complicated, but it's not when you get in and see it. If someone wants to spearhead trying to set up the first one, to see if it is something the group might like, let me know and i'll help you.

Also, photos are not compressed that I am aware of, and it's FREE!

While yes traffic here us a adventure and a way life, it will not take 3 hours. I live 35 miles from DL. The port is maybe 20. The longest it has ever taken me to get from my apartment to DL is 1 1/2 hours.

yes, i know, remember, we are neighbors. but clearly, you've never been stuck behind a full highway closing traffic jam or accident. one of my first days working at DL, i left early to go play in the park before work, so i left at 9am even though my shift started at 415pm. i left at 9am, and didn't get to the park until after 1pm. sitting on the highway. it was awesome. no, 3 hrs is not typical, but it can happen. when i was performing at Universal, it once took me 2 hours to get there! so it happens. it's not normal. but it happens.

Also, photos are not compressed that I am aware of, and it's FREE!

I just checked it and it appears that photobucket does compress photos. I checked one before I uploaded and it was 2.14MB (4000 x 3000). I uploaded it to photobucket and then downloaded back to my desktop and it was 104 KB (340 x 480).

SmugMUg does offer unlimited storage (compared to the free photobucket where there is a limit). So, even though it does cost, it appears that we already have enough interest to keep the cost/person low.

I do like photobucket and use it for photos that I upload here on the Dis. However, I don't think it will be the best option for share.

BTW, Tami, got you added :thumbsup2

Sounds good!!! I'll be more than happy to keep a list of those that want to participate. If y'all want me to, I can also collect any payments, set up the account, ect. Just let me know. So far we have:
RRBB
WeLuvDCL
LindaBabe
carmie3377
Jen or Jeff, do you think we could get this added to the website?

For our cruise/WDW trip in Dec (17 days), I took over 2400 pictures! I expect to have just as many this trip. I wonder if we can put tags on the photos and use a search option to locate photos of interest. I'll find out.

We have DSLR with 300 zoom so we'll help get some great shots for you. I also have an underwater camera and if I can brave the cool water temps at CC, I hope to get the Mickey and Minnie!

Would love to participate as well.

Well, TGIF and I have 2 days off. Long week but next week I have a trip to Ohio to celebrate my folks 60th - leaving Friday afternoon and won't be back until Monday.

Enjoy your weekend!!

Wow, for that kind of price count me in. but because we're opposite, hardly remember to take pictures.

i guess i'm starting to get overwhelmed but all the stuff going on with this board. it's exciting to talk to people this way but i'm afraid i'm terrible with names and faces. will someone at sonme time summarize the actual things - FE numbers and then room numbers, and something about bracelets and if there's "parties" (any kind of meet ups) where we meet each other around the ship. i'm really looking forward to meetin you all, and hoping ot find sorta like minded people to wander the ship with and shows and stuff. dh is high maintenance - has to sit certain way at table and be first at show so he can get front row but he's a fun guy to talk to and hang with. this should be a great cruise! let me rephrase my first sentence of this para. i AM overwhelmed!! :-D

Look into Picassa on google as well. It's what we use. If photos are compressed I'm not aware. Plus it's easy to either print from Picassa or export out to any of the photo printing websites.
Thanks for everyone's patience with Jeff and I right now. Seriously thought with school ending for the semester I would have some free time. I was sadly mistaken! Thankfully this is the last weekend for hardcore little league umpiring (unless Jeff is asked to go umpire Regionals in GA).
FYI, we will be at WDW multiple times for F&W if anyone wants to meet up. We're going for a long weekend in October and then a few other times. The October trip will be with Jack. Others may not be.

Evening all,

It's been quite a while since I last checked in

Looking forward to settling the final details for our trip

Would love to participate as well.

Add us to the list of people that want to share as well.

Wow, for that kind of price count me in. but because we're opposite, hardly remember to take pictures.

Got ya down. That puts us up to 8 people so far. That would be $5/person for the basic or $7.50/person for the upgrade even if no one else joins (the more the better though!). Don't even know if we'd need the upgrade. Robin, do you remember which one y'all used on your other cruise?

Look into Picassa on google as well. It's what we use. If photos are compressed I'm not aware. Plus it's easy to either print from Picassa or export out to any of the photo printing websites.
Thanks for everyone's patience with Jeff and I right now. Seriously thought with school ending for the semester I would have some free time. I was sadly mistaken! Thankfully this is the last weekend for hardcore little league umpiring (unless Jeff is asked to go umpire Regionals in GA).
FYI, we will be at WDW multiple times for F&W if anyone wants to meet up. We're going for a long weekend in October and then a few other times. The October trip will be with Jack. Others may not be.

Thanks Jen, I'll check into it! And thank you and Jeff for all y'all do for the website.

Wish we were heading to WDW for this fall! DD and I are trying to squeeze a girls trip in but doesn't look like it's going to happen :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter