From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick post - have a great weekend everyone - we're off to the Blue Mountains for the weekend, and unlikely to find Wifi where we're staying.

Cheers,
Sally :)

Quick post - have a great weekend everyone - we're off to the Blue Mountains for the weekend, and unlikely to find Wifi where we're staying.

Cheers,
Sally :)

We live in the Blue Mountains. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Lots of Christmas in July celebrations going on at the moment. Christmas in December is so hot (summer) usually around 35-40o celcius a lot of families eat shrimp and salad rather than traditional baked meals so Christmas in July (winter) appeals for hot baked food by a log fire.

No guarantees of course but whenever I've been there for marathon weekend (this was year #6 ) the "regular " closing time for MK was 8 pm EMH differed. prior to the cruise? I want to have dinner at California Grill on 1/5 after the fireworks, which right now are scheduled at 8:00, so I was going to make an 8:45 reservation. I'm considering though also making an earlier dinner reservation there for say, 6:00, in case they move the fireworks up to 9 or 10? Is that likely or is it more likely to stay 8:00 since Jan is a "slow" time?[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think about ADRs! I forgot you can make them 6 months out now. I'm calling now to make dinner reservations at Blue Bayou. Anyone have recommendation for any other good restaurants in DL???

Does anyone know where we will be able to pick up basic groceries when we are at the VGC? I know we could have a delivery, but for what we would want that would be expensive. We don't mind a walk. Mainly breakfasts and snack food, perhaps a lunch or light meal, bread and cheese etc.

I don't suppose we will want much for a day or so anyway!!!!!:lmao:

you can probably get some of this stuff at a 7-11 or something, but places that you can walk to from that resort are going to be VERY expensive. you'll need to take a cab to get to any place worth the savings, and at that point you've paid for the cab. so... it may be worth looking into local disney transportation, seeing if you can take one of the Disney buses to another resort that may be a bit closer to a shopping area of some kind.

but really, the park isnt THAT expensive, compared to WDW, so by the time you've bought food, paid for the cab, etc, you may have been ok just buying in the park and not worrying about carrying food around.

Good Morning Everyone.

Thanks for the welcomes; good to be back reading boards and joining in. This past week has been gruelling as we had carpet installed in three bedrooms; thus a lot of moving furniture and all the stuff that accompanies it. My family room looks like a storage shed. We also pulled up the carpet in the entry and hallways exposing the original 1950s hardwood floors; not in too bad a shape. Now the putting back. I took everything from my closet so am only putting back what I want/need etc. Yeah, I'll see how that goes. I have enforced a shoes off rule so I'll see how that works out.

California Bay Area is suppose to kick up to 90s again this weekend; oh goody.

Just wanted to say good-bye to those leaving the cruise and good luck with your new plans.

Have a safe weekend everyone.

I didn't even think about ADRs! I forgot you can make them 6 months out now. I'm calling now to make dinner reservations at Blue Bayou. Anyone have recommendation for any other good restaurants in DL???

personally, i LOVE the mexican place in DL. i never really ate in DCA, so i'm not sure there. but we love the mexican place!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/rancho-del-zocalo-restaurante/

never ate there, but i worked at Plaza Inn. i would suggest Minnie's breakfast at PI. :) You DO have to make ADRs for this one. But only for the breakfast. I believe you can just walk in any other time of day.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/plaza-inn/

It's on the waterfront, but you can't see Fantasmic (if it's running then) because the people standing up and watching block the view. They do, however, have a little show in the tent, which is free to watch!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/french-market-restaurant/

Best Ice Cream Sundae in the park, and, if you can catch it, there's a free show inside, Billy and the Hillbillies. It's pretty funny!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/golden-horseshoe/

if you're willing to leave the park, we love the mexican place in Downtown Disney, and the character breakfast at http://disneyland.disney.go.com/paradise-pier-hotel/disneys-pch-grill/

You wont be able to make reservations for Blue Bayou yet--DL reservations can only be made 60 days in advance, WDW reservations can be made 6 months in advance. You also have to call DL for dining reservations, they cant be done online. Quite frustrating to me that it is an entirely different system not really geared to us over-planners!

you can probably get some of this stuff at a 7-11 or something, but places that you can walk to from that resort are going to be VERY expensive. you'll need to take a cab to get to any place worth the savings, and at that point you've paid for the cab. so... it may be worth looking into local disney transportation, seeing if you can take one of the Disney buses to another resort that may be a bit closer to a shopping area of some kind.

but really, the park isnt THAT expensive, compared to WDW, so by the time you've bought food, paid for the cab, etc, you may have been ok just buying in the park and not worrying about carrying food around.

I'm confused about what you are saying about "taking one of the Disney buses to another resort"...correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DLR doesnt have any bus transportation, only the monorail?

I'm confused about what you are saying about "taking one of the Disney buses to another resort"...correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DLR doesnt have any bus transportation, only the monorail?

there are buses that run all over town (they are blue with characters on them), but to be perfectly honest, i don't know where they go or where they start, but they are all labeled as being Disney buses. the OP would probably want to research that. i mean, i worked at DLR, so I drove and never worried about transportation or hotels. but i see buses all over the place claiming to be Disney buses of some kind. and i do believe that most of the hotels in the area have their own shuttles. i don't know what you need to do to get on those shuttles, but you could probably take one of those to their hotel and see what kind of shopping can be found there.

there are buses that run all over town (they are blue with characters on them), but to be perfectly honest, i don't know where they go or where they start, but they are all labeled as being Disney buses. the OP would probably want to research that. i mean, i worked at DLR, so I drove and never worried about transportation or hotels. but i see buses all over the place claiming to be Disney buses of some kind. and i do believe that most of the hotels in the area have their own shuttles. i don't know what you need to do to get on those shuttles, but you could probably take one of those to their hotel and see what kind of shopping can be found there.

Are you talking about the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) buses? They are public transport buses that basically service the resorts and DL. You could probably make that work. IIRC, it was $5 or $6 pp for a day ticket (or I could be totally confused - its been a while since our last trip!)

Found this link with useful addresses of lots of stores (including grocery stores).

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan/stores.htm

Delivery from Albertsons is only $9.95, it may be as economical as a return taxi just to order the groceries for delivery.

HTH

--Kay

Are you talking about the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) buses? They are public transport buses that basically service the resorts and DL. You could probably make that work. IIRC, it was $5 or $6 pp for a day ticket (or I could be totally confused - its been a while since our last trip!)

Found this link with useful addresses of lots of stores (including grocery stores).

Delivery from Albertsons is only $9.95, it may be as economical as a return taxi just to order the groceries for delivery.

HTH

--Kay
I think that is what she means, the ART buses. They have no official Disney affiliation though, and they are pretty slow- they mostly go around to the area good neighbor hotels, and it can take forever- we gave up after one day and just walked to DLR from now on if we stayed at a good neighbor hotel.

The Albertsons delivery sounds like the best bet for the OP if they deliver to hotels. When I lived in San Diego I used the service all the time, it was great- groceries right up to my door instead of having to park and make a dozen trips from the parking garage and flights of stairs up to the apartment!

Also so excited, just made my ADR's for the WDW pre-cruise portion of the trip! Got everything I wanted- dinners at California Grill, Jiko, and Il Mulino, and lunch at Yak & Yeti in AK and Sci Fi in DHS. Makes me feel that much closer!

Thanks for the info about groceries near the Villas Grand Californian. I will look on the maps for the stores, and also again at the grocery deliveries. I was thinking that with having the Villas now that there might be some place at the GCH for basic groceries similar to how things are at WDW. We won't need much at all for our stay.

Those are the buses that are used to transport guests to and from the airport as transfers. They are not shuttles unfortunately.

Thanks for the info about groceries near the Villas Grand Californian. I will look on the maps for the stores, and also again at the grocery deliveries. I was thinking that with having the Villas now that there might be some place at the GCH for basic groceries similar to how things are at WDW. We won't need much at all for our stay.

Unfortunately, the selection of food at the DGC is very limited...there are some basic items in Whitewater Snacks at the hotel but I am not sure if that will fit what you need. Nothing like WDW.

We stayed 1 night at Paradise Pier and 2 nights after our Hawaii cruise at the DLH. We prefered the DLH. But this time we are DVC so staying on points at GCH. We loved Cafe New Orleans but did not like the Blue Bayou. Had Breakfast with Minnie which was great. We did transport with the hotel back to LAX. We used Prime Time shuttle to get to and from the Port. They are horrible. One was an hour late getting to us the day we needed to get on the ship. The return was worse. Driver spoke no English. Only Russian had a helper who also spoke very little english. Did not know how to us the GPS or how to get to DL. This time have Disney transport to GCH! Made some more ADR's final one is tomorow. So far we have Biertgarten, Tepan Edo, Hoop De Doo, and Le Cellier last one will be the Cape May Character Breakfast.

We stayed 1 night at Paradise Pier and 2 nights after our Hawaii cruise at the DLH. We prefered the DLH. But this time we are DVC so staying on points at GCH. We loved Cafe New Orleans but did not like the Blue Bayou. Had Breakfast with Minnie which was great. We did transport with the hotel back to LAX. We used Prime Time shuttle to get to and from the Port. They are horrible. One was an hour late getting to us the day we needed to get on the ship. The return was worse. Driver spoke no English. Only Russian had a helper who also spoke very little english. Did not know how to us the GPS or how to get to DL. This time have Disney transport to GCH! Made some more ADR's final one is tomorow. So far we have Biertgarten, Tepan Edo, Hoop De Doo, and Le Cellier last one will be the Cape May Character Breakfast.
I have stayed at DLH and GCH once each so far, and loved GCH so much more- those thick cushions on the pool chairs make me want to sleep all day ; ) I just loved the location and our Downtown Disney view room was awesome. Would love to go back someday, but I really want to try to 3rd hotel this time so we are doing Paradise Pier Hotel for a few nights. I am so excited for DLR in general- it will be great to have that to look forward to after the cruise ending, and I love all the little things that make it different from WDW, and I appreciate it so much more because I go to WDW way more often being that it is a very short flight or feasible driving distance for us. I know I probably wont get back to DLR until 2012 or later (must go for the Cars Land when done!) so I really want to enjoy this trip : )

HTH

--Kay
Hi All,
I hope everyone is staying safe, dry and cool with all of this crazy weather! If you really want to get groceries etc., and get away from D-land for awhile, you could take the Hyatt shuttle to their hotel and then walk across the street to Target. Just leave DLR and turn Left towards all of the hotel shuttle buses and take the Hyatt shuttle. Easy, direct and FREE!!
With that in mind, if you are willing to leave DL for food, they have a Buca Di Beppo and Joe's Crab Shack near that same Target. People seem to really like to go to both of those places.
Personnally, I cannot believe "Goofy's Kitchen" has not been mentioned. We make it a tradition to go there every Christmas and Birthday--Just make sure you come hungry as it is a buffet.
Oh, before I forget...I cannot remember who it is that will be in CA for Christmas, but if you want to do something non-Disney but very cool, you could go to the Crystal Cathedral and see the "Glory of Christmas"-- it is a very good show.
Anyway, something to think about...

~Melissa

Hi All,
I hope everyone is staying safe, dry and cool with all of this crazy weather! If you really want to get groceries etc., and get away from D-land for awhile, you could take the Hyatt shuttle to their hotel and then walk across the street to Target. Just leave DLR and turn Left towards all of the hotel shuttle buses and take the Hyatt shuttle. Easy, direct and FREE!!
With that in mind, if you are willing to leave DL for food, they have a Buca Di Beppo and Joe's Crab Shack near that same Target. People seem to really like to go to both of those places.
Personnally, I cannot believe "Goofy's Kitchen" has not been mentioned. We make it a tradition to go there every Christmas and Birthday--Just make sure you come hungry as it is a buffet.
Oh, before I forget...I cannot remember who it is that will be in CA for Christmas, but if you want to do something non-Disney but very cool, you could go to the Crystal Cathedral and see the "Glory of Christmas"-- it is a very good show.

~Melissa
I love Goofy's Kitchen! Buffet is awesome and the characters were great. This past trip we tried Storytellers Cafe and also loved that. Not sure if we are going to repeat either of these favorites or try Minnie's breakfast this time- so many choices, so little time! Anyone have an opinion on Minnie's vs the other two? Is Minnie's like in WDW where you can make a ressie before park opening or can you only go after park opening?

Hi All,

~Melissa

Ohhhhh, the Glory of Christmas was fabulous!!!! It was also fun to see how small the church is compared to TV. The grounds are wonderful to see and leisurly walk through and YOU HAVE TO SEE THE WOMENS BATHROOMS, lol. They were the prettiest bathrooms I have ever been in. There was just a spot on the Phoenix news about the best bathrooms in the country and it wasnt mentioned I couldnt believe it. And no, I am not obsessed with bathrooms!

i am still waiting to see if they are going to offer a package for DL. I called again today and still no package. They also said so far there is only tranportation from the ship to the airport. I hope something opens up soon so we can make plans. We just got tickets for Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party in DW and we are waiting for the FLorida residents rate to come out because even though we live just an hour away (and 5 minutes from Port Canaveral) we don't like driving home that late. It seem they are late with everything this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter