From the Sea to the World - Holiday Edition - Completed

:wave: Found the newest TR today, glad you started it! I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip. Vero Beach looks like a great resort, LOVE the turtles on the shower curtain! LOL, I have read that there are a lot of turtles that lay their eggs there when the time comes.

Love the people huddled together in the pool and fully clothed on the beach :beach: at least the pool is probably heated, I would imagine that ocean water is pretty chilly!

Last edited:
I like the deck overlooking the ocean best, or maybe the Beach Cottages! So how cold/warm was it? I see people in long sleeves but also in the pool…

I'm wondering what could be magical about butter, or let me rephrase: what could be more magical about butter than normal. I think it is quite an extraordinary milk product anyway, at least it is one of the few I can eat :goodvibes

24 hour travel time seems still really long! But if you can get a comfortable plane for a good price (I assume there are employee fares), it might be worth it

Yes, we do get nice deals. I would not risk flying standby on this trip, but we get good prices on firm tickets, too.

I for one love Christmas decorations and more specifically Disney Christmas decorations so I will be in my element. The lobby at Vero Beach reminds me a little of the Beach Club. I like the look of the room as well. The small TV would not bother me. I don't watch TV at home and don't feel the need on holiday either.

I actually have a few nights booked at Vero Beach in May, but this trip looks like it will be cancelled in the not too distant future.

Corinna

Yay, I'm looking forward to reading your new trip report, I really enjoyed your last one :)
Vero Beach looks really nice, such a great location too.

Magical butter? Was it made from unicorn milk? pixiedust: So much fun to read your report and to have the opportunity to see the US from the perspective of someone from a different country. My mother's family is from Florida so we have spent many a vacation traveling around the rural areas of the state. Back country is very different from the big cities.

No unicorn milk! But that's a fun idea! I hope you will not be disappointed by the real story.

I really love the backcountry Florida. To me as a tourist it seems so relaxed, as if time had stopped.

^^^ I ummm... love your German slip up there. :lmao:

I'm afraid you need to explain this to me...

Vero Beach looks like a really nice resort! The beach does look pretty tiny, though. I bet you are right that it gets really crowded when it's actual beach weather.

Looking forward to all the Christmas decorations!

Looks like the beach usually is less tiny from what others said in the comments.

I really liked the feel of it and want to return soon!

Vero looks like a nice resort. I'm not sure we'll ever get there though, we're not beach people. We live in a beach town and never go, the closest we get is dining at a restaurant with a waterfront view!

I love Christmas decoration pictures! Especially Disney decorations! Bring it on!

Seems like the closer people live to a beach the less interested they are in the water!:rotfl2: Michael is not really that into beaches either, I usually drag him there because to me they are very special! But then I think the closest one is about 500 miles away...

Plenty of Christmas pictures coming!

Oh my goodness what a lead up to Thanksgiving, that sounds stressful for all but especially Michael. How lovely that a vacation was already scheduled, it was definitely needed!

I have never seen Vero at that high of a tide either. I don't know if there was more beach erosion since we visited or if that time of year, high tide is especially high but there was a LOT more beach when we were there. Looking forward to reading more!!!

It really was kind of crazy how many things went wrong just before Thanksgiving. But we got through it and looking forward to the vacation really helped!

Interesting that both you and Glenn had more beach at Vero. I am now thinking I read something about no beach access in January because of beach restoration work.

Made it through both lovely updates.

Not such a stress-free start to things with feeling really yucky on the flight (been there and done that WAY too many times to count!), to boxed Thanksgiving dinners to delayed grocery shopping.

I am actually looking forward to the Christmas pix! Any pix are a nice escape. :)

VB looks so beautiful. If I ever get an urge to leave WDW property, it would be a fun place to visit. The rooms are amazing! Even if they have teensy TVs. But that wouldn't bother me. I don't watch much anywhere I am- home or vacation. There's other stuff more fun to be done. Like sitting in Florida sunshine. On a deck just like that.

Welcome to my newest trip report about our cruise on the Disney Fantasy and our week at Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW in early December 2014 - and a pre-cruise night at Vero Beach.

Table of Contents:

Here you will find links to all the upcoming chapters. If you find any non-working links, please let me know!

Introductions (see next post)

November 23-27:
If we did not need a vacation before...

November 28:
Off to Rural Florida!
I am here Magdalena

Made it and caught up!!!!

Sounds like a rough November or Michael's family. I am glad Thanksgiving dinner happened for all even if it was out of a box. Memorable for sure.

Target is my go-to store.

Great thinking to add a night at Vero.

Last edited:
Isn't "ist" the verb is? Maybe I'm mistaken?

Ah!! Thanks! Yes, it is. And it is indeed a common typo I make as the combination of letters as in "ist" is something that kind flows naturally from my fingers when typing quickly. I think I was just looking at the "big words" in the sentence and totally missed the additional T.

That doesn't sound like a bad trade-off. I'm fascinated by the magical portholes, though. Such a neat idea.

Yes, I really would love to try them out one day. Disney was really smart to introduce them. The inside cabins on the newer ships are far more expensive than on the older ship (comparable cruises where oceanview and veranda staterooms are about the same). I think they have already earned back the initial investment in those screens many times!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Not exactly the Thanksgiving we dream of!

Yes, but Publix makes a really good Thanksgiving meal!!

We like to call it, "Tar-zhay", just to make it sound more sophisticated.

:rotfl2:

I don't know, but I'm sure he is willing to take all of the credit for it!

Oh, I am sure he will! :thumbsup2

Wow, can you even see the screen from the bed?:confused3

I am not sure we ever switched on the TV?

The lobby is very impressive! It looks like a worthy part of the Disney resort family.

The lobby is not nearly as grand as the WL or AKL, but that would be a bit over the top for a beach resort.

There are people who don't like Christmas decorations?:confused3

Who knows. :confused3 There might be and I would not want to offend them... :santa:

I'm so glad that I didn't have to wait long for the Vero Beach portion of your trip report. I was eager to see what you thought about it.

I will have quite a bit more about VB. But I think you can already tell that I really liked ti!

Yes, the other buildings at Vero have underground parking also, not just the Inn. I agree with you -- Kidani's parking is a little unsightly. When I first saw pictures of it back when they were completing construction, I thought, "...but they're not finished yet, right?".

I do hope that once the vegetation has grown in more at Kidani it will improve. It has been nearly two years since I was there last and I think even then I thought it started to look better than in 2010 when I first saw it.

Glad to see pictures of the Inn rooms, I hadn't seen those before. They look nice, but yeah, that tv is small.

I really liked the Inn rooms and they are pretty cheap with regard to points as well.

Look at those poor people...huddled together for warmth!

:rotfl2:I think the pool was very nicely heated, I tested the water and we seriously considered going for a swim. But it was not a warm day at all!

Wow, I never saw the water come up as high as this when we were there a couple of years ago. I sure hope that was high tide! That little ledge area was as far as anyone put their beach chairs; I never saw anyone go above that. And contrast that with the beach picture from the chapter I recently posted on my HHI report, where it looked like a loooong walk to the water (of course that was at low tide).

It was definitely high tide. I already said that in another comment, but I think that I read something about a beach restoration going on this winter, so I guess tere was quite a bit of erosion.

Yes, don't those cottages look great! I think it'd be amazing to stay in one of those.

The cottages are why I would consider owning at VB (but then I would probably not want to spend the amount of points they require anyway).

All right. Looking forward to this magical buttah.

Hope to get the new update up tonight!

I just discovered your trip reports and I'm slowly reading through them. I really enjoy your writing style. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to hear more about this trip too.

:wave: Found the newest TR today, glad you started it! I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

:welcome:

Vero Beach looks like a great resort, LOVE the turtles on the shower curtain! LOL, I have read that there are a lot of turtles that lay their eggs there when the time comes.

Yes, the whole VB decor is full of turtles. Did you notice the ones on the back of the balcony chairs? There are more turtles coming soon! But I think we were there out of turtle nesting season, so that was not something we were able to see.

Love the people huddled together in the pool and fully clothed on the beach :beach: at least the pool is probably heated, I would imagine that ocean water is pretty chilly!

The pool was nicely heated. And on a warm day, I would have been fine with the ocean as well. You could tell that it was still warmed up from the summer. The water takes some time to cool down. But then, I prefer the water to be a bit fresh, not totally warmed up.

I like the deck overlooking the ocean best, or maybe the Beach Cottages!

Well, the deck has the advantage of being open to everyone!:goodvibes

So how cold/warm was it? I see people in long sleeves but also in the pool…

I think it was about 16°C or so. I was fine with shorts and my thicker fleece. VB was definitely a few degrees cooler than South Florida where we had started that morning.

I'm wondering what could be magical about butter, or let me rephrase: what could be more magical about butter than normal. I think it is quite an extraordinary milk product anyway, at least it is one of the few I can eat :goodvibes

:rotfl2:

And you know already about the magical butter, I am pretty sure you already saw a picture of it!

Yes, we do get nice deals. I would not risk flying standby on this trip, but we get good prices on firm tickets, too.

That does sound good!

I for one love Christmas decorations and more specifically Disney Christmas decorations so I will be in my element.

I tried my best to document a lot of decorations-

The lobby at Vero Beach reminds me a little of the Beach Club. I like the look of the room as well. The small TV would not bother me. I don't watch TV at home and don't feel the need on holiday either.

Since both are beach resorts, that is only fitting that they have a similar feeling. The rooms were very nice!

I actually have a few nights booked at Vero Beach in May, but this trip looks like it will be cancelled in the not too distant future.

Sorry to hear that a trip has to be cancelled! I think you would enjoy Vero Beach. I had read great things about the character breakfast there. And I am sure Graham would love the chance to watch nesting turtles!

Yay, I'm looking forward to reading your new trip report, I really enjoyed your last one :)

:welcome: And I am happy to hear thta you enjoyed the previous one! :goodvibes

Vero Beach looks really nice, such a great location too.

We were there far too short a time. It was indeed a lovely place.

Not such a stress-free start to things with feeling really yucky on the flight (been there and done that WAY too many times to count!), to boxed Thanksgiving dinners to delayed grocery shopping.

When I wrote this update, I was thinking about your train trip to Nuremberg that was quite hellish as well...

I am actually looking forward to the Christmas pix! Any pix are a nice escape. :)

Lot's of pix coming up!! Katharina and Michael tell me that they read my trip report solely for the pictures as well... :rotfl:

VB looks so beautiful. If I ever get an urge to leave WDW property, it would be a fun place to visit. The rooms are amazing! Even if they have teensy TVs. But that wouldn't bother me. I don't watch much anywhere I am- home or vacation. There's other stuff more fun to be done. Like sitting in Florida sunshine. On a deck just like that.

VB was really wonderful! I am not sure I would want a two weeks vacation there, but for a few days of relaxing. Great place!

I am here Magdalena

:welcome:

Sounds like a rough November or Michael's family. I am glad Thanksgiving dinner happened for all even if it was out of a box. Memorable for sure.

November was definitely not their month last year. The Publix turkey dinner out of the box was actually very tasty! And certainly far less work involved for Michael's mother.

Target is my go-to store

Great choice!

Great thinking to add a night at Vero.

I had read about it on other cruise trip reports - @eandesmom has stayed there before her Dream cruise as well (and I reread her and @glennbo123 's trip reports before our stay there to make sure that I don't miss out on anything during our very short stay!).

I just discovered your trip reports and I'm slowly reading through them. I really enjoy your writing style. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to hear more about this trip too.

:welcome: I am always happy to hear from my readers! And you certainly have found quite a lot of reading material if you are reading my old trip reports as well! ;)

The most magical butter ever!

I knew that Vero Beach also had a “backcountry” part to the resort and I wanted to go and explore that. We easily found the access tunnel that goes under the main road to the other side. There we saw a little “Nature Walk” leading off into the jungle, so we ventured in there:

DSC05105.jpg

It was a very narrow path and there were quite a few signs teaching you about the flora and fauna of rural Florida:

DSC05106.jpg

DSC05107.jpg

We came out to a beautiful lake and had this view of the main resort building:

DSC05108.jpg

The path continued on for a bit, so some more pictures:

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

DSC05113.jpg

We ended up at the other side of the lake where there are some fire pits and barbecues. Looks like a great place to hang out with a group on a summer evening. Today it was certainly far too cold!

We headed back into the resort and I got into documenting the Christmas decorations in more detail:

DSC05115.jpg

DSC05119.jpg

Lot’s of turtles in the decorations! Sea turtles nest along the beach here and they are kind of the official animal of the resort.

DSC05120.jpg

The walls in the lobby had old orange box signs:

DSC05123.jpg

Of course they had to have some of the Donald Duck oranges!!

DSC05122.jpg

From there we headed to the Green Cabin Room, but sat inside. The sun was starting to set and it was getting very chilly out there! The room was really lovely and comfortable. The only thing that surprised me were the many large families who came in there to have dinner. They had quite a neat little bar menu, but if you are a group of 10 people, eating in a bar with tiny tables seems a bit strange to me. But that might have been due to the fact that this was the Thanksgiving weekend. Who knows…

The other thing that I found a bit sad was that they had the same boring bar menu that WDW bars have. I don’t like the menu as most drinks are far too fancy in a way that I don’t appreciate. Somehow, I much prefer the bar menus on the DCL ships (more about this to come later!).

Here is a picture of our drinks, mine is the one with the glow cube, it is the Magical Star Cocktail that Katharina and I loved on our trips, so I had it for nostalgic reasons as well.

DSC05127.jpg

We were discussing what we wanted to do for dinner, go out or eat at the resort. I said that we should verify if they would be able to seat us, so headed down to the casual restaurant Shutters (we had checked out the menu earlier and liked it). I asked if we needed a reservation if we wanted to eat at around 7:30pm and they ensured me that that was not necessary (nice!!). While down there I got a picture of the funny Restroom sign:

DSC05129.jpg

And more Christmas decorations:

DSC05130.jpg

DSC05132.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

This area was more beachy and whimsical than the lobby that was more of a serious sea theme!

After we had enjoyed our drinks we headed back to our room for a while. There I found this:

DSC05134.jpg

DSC05136.jpg

Since my birthday is at the beginning of November, I had decided that this trip was my birthday present to myself and had noted my birthday on all of our reservations. I was quite amazed by what I got from VB, I even got a pin (I have no clue what kind of water rat that is, but it is a Disney pin!).

We headed downstairs to Shutters at 7:30 pm and had to wait three minutes or so before they seated us. The restaurant was actually fairly full. But we got a really nice booth and soon our lovely server introduced herself. She was really great!

And once we had put in our order she came back with a bread basket – and: THE MOST MAGICAL BUTTER!!!

DSC05139.jpg

We loved it! Michael often tells tales about WDW in the olden times (when you could eat your meal from the restroom floors because they were so clean… when you could swim at River Country…) and one of his stories is about Mickey butter. I really loved it that VB kept up this tradition! And Michael actually commented after our stay there that he felt that this resort had still a lot of that “old times WDW charm” that kind of got lost at WDW with people rushing from ADR to FP+ by trying to get as much value out of their pricey theme park tickets as possible.

I did a bad job in getting food pictures that night, I have only pictures of my meal. Michael had a mushroom soup, a wedge salad and then ice cream for dessert. He kept complaining that I did not have a picture of his dessert because it was one of his favourite desserts of the trip and I should have documented that… This might be a bit of a spoiler, but if you read my Panama Canal TR, you know that we were no fans of the desserts on the Wonder, and our opinion on DCL desserts did not change on the Fantasy either…

But I have pictures of my meal!! I had a very nice Samual Adams Seasonal Lager. I got into ordering beers a few times this trip. Mostly tried to order something that is not one of those American standards, but something more exotic. And I really liked a lot of the beers I had! The only thing that amused me was that they were being served in cans. Any self respecting micro brewery here in Germany would not be found dead offering their beer in a can. Serious beer drinkers here think that can equals “billige Plörre” (which means cheap nasty liquid, it’s a very colloquial term). You can see some of my glass in the butter picture.

I also had the wedge salad:

DSC05140.jpg

This was very large, but delicious!

And then I had the Italian Sausage Flatbread:

DSC05141.jpg

I found out that I am not a huge fan of Italian Sausage, but the whole dish was still very delicious. I did not finish it and took the rest of it with me and had it for breakfast the next morning. No better way to start your embarkation day than with cold pizza!

By the time we were done with dinner it was nearly 9pm and we were the last people leaving Shutters!

DSC05142.jpg

I was totally shocked by that!

By the time we were done with dinner, I was starting to be very tired. I think I caught up with trip notes for a while, but went to bed early. Michael decided that he needed to move a bit and went for a walk in the resort for a little while. I think I was fast asleep, dreaming sweet dreams of cruise ships when he came back!

Up Next: Embarkation Day

All caught up!

I was trying to figure out your hint of magical butter, but did not succeed. And I have to admit that that butter is just too cute!!!!!!!!!!

Love all the photos of VB and the surrounding area. All the vegetation is so impressive and I could do with some nice greenery right now. (Even though my garden is white with snowdrops - love when they finally come out).

Shutters looks great, but I am amazed to read that you were the last people at 9pm.
Oh, and I could not agree more on the Italian sausage - Tom had it on pizza at WPE and we actually picked it off. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter