• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From The Keys to The Kingdom live

Look forward to following this one, love the thought of seeing the Keys. We have stopped off the cruise ship at Key West but never done a road trip. It sounds wonderful. This is really raising my Disney Excitement level for August! Did the online check in for car hire last week, ESTA’s tonight. A Wayneg TR! I may peak to soon!!!! :thumbsup2

Have a great trip! We're off shortly after you get back. :wave2:

Hope you had a safe flight&have a fantastic time:thumbsup2

Look forward to hearing all about it popcorn::

am soo excited to read this report !! your map is taking a similar route to our 3rd weeks plans !!

am sure your report will feature loads of stuff helpful and more things to do and see to add on our list

would love to know fuel costs of the trip and how you find the drive to key west and back out again as i still have some convincing dh that its a doable amount of driving

have a great trip

Have a great trip, looking forward to hearing all about it.

Was just logging on to say I've met Wayne!! Waiting for Virgin flight, apparently incoming flight diverted to Bermuda for medical emergency. Minor medical here too, my dad rushed to A&E last night so wasn't sure if we'd even be leaving today. Fingers crossed he'll be ok!
Great to meet you, hope you were not too late getting to your hotel.

Look forward to following this one, love the thought of seeing the Keys. We have stopped off the cruise ship at Key West but never done a road trip. It sounds wonderful. This is really raising my Disney Excitement level for August! Did the online check in for car hire last week, ESTA’s tonight. A Wayneg TR! I may peak to soon!!!! :thumbsup2
This is our first time staying in Key West, been twice on cruises but only for a few hours.
would love to know fuel costs of the trip and how you find the drive to key west and back out again as i still have some convincing dh that its a doable amount of driving
Our first day from Miami to Key West has used about half a tank but we have a 7 seater Chevy Traverse, probably not the most economical car but great to drive.

Exhausting day so no pics unfortunately. Just quick post.
Landed in Miami(via Atlanta) yesterday about 10 mins early at 7:45pm had a short walk to the airport hotel. The hotel could do with a little renovation but did the job perfectly well. Threw the cases in the room and went for a bite to eat at BK(with 10% voucher from hotel:rotfl:)
Early start this morning, alarm woke us at 6:30am, all showered and packed for 7:45, left the hotel to find the Hertz car rental area. Arrived there just after 8am to find my name on the Gold board, there it was with a car parking space number. Found a silver 7 seater Chevy Traverse parked there, exctly what I ordered, slightly high milage at 29k but drives like brand new. Hertz Gold is definitely the easiest and best way to collect a car.

We then set off to Miami beach, arrived in no time, a look at the Art Deco district, walk on the beach then on our way to Key West. We found quite a few Geocaches on the way down. One cache I found was right next to a restaurant. Its just a shack but got good reviews so we gave the Hungry Tarpon a try, really busy area, lots of boat trips etc going on. Enjoyed our meal then off again, next stop Big Pine Key. Karen wanted to stop off and see the deer roaming wild, saw loads. over to Blue hole where we saw a gator.

Arrived at our hotel in Key West at about 5:30pm, lovely room. releaxed for half hour before going for a walk to the Southern most point then to the Blue Heaven restaurant. Found it eventually but 60-90 min wait, we sat at the bar and had a few drinks and then ate. Prices a little high(as everything in Key west) but food was very good and excellent Key lime pie.

Back at the room now relaxing with a Blueberry vodka a coke:goodvibes but eyes are closing. Its been a long day but probably one of my most enjoyable since I drove to the Grand Canyon.

Matt has managed a few photos on his blog from yesterday http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/

Sounds like a great start to your trip.
We've never used Hertz before, we always use Dollar, and too be honest our last few experiences haven't been great so we should perhaps give Hertz a try
I was reading someone's TR not so long ago and they stopped at the Hungry Tarpon for lunch as well and said it was great
Hope you have a great day today :)

So glad you have found time to post and really enjoyed reading it - off to Matt's blog now. I've kept checking in to the thread for the last 24 hours wondering how it was going :)

DH uses Hertz in Europe too (sometimes Avis) and they've been our preferred rental providers for years - unless there is a really good deal to be had with Avis ;). I was able to use the great Hertz sale for 2 trips so I hope they repeat that one :thumbsup2

That's a lovely comment about how enjoyable the day had been :goodvibes Here's to many more.

We are using Hertz for the first time this year so pleased to hear that others gave been happy with them.

Really look forward to your updates Wayne along with Matt's blog updates :)

Good to see you've arrived safe and well.

See you in a couple of days when we return to dry land :lmao:

:goodvibes

Great trip report Wayne,

I'm really looking forward to following it as it's a trip that we'd love to do as a family.

Off to check out Hertz now for next months trip. The car hire is the last thing that needs booking.

Have a wonderful holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter