From Orlando Sentinel- Evaluation of Disney Reservation Agents

Ronald Duck

Another Disney Fanatic
I'm NOT pleased with this story :mad: :

Friday, June 10, 2005
Disney Sales Agents Consider Joining Union

...thousands of Walt Disney World...reservation sales agents are voting on whether to join a union...The employees, who rejected the measure in 2002, will cast the final votes today...Union representatives said some workers are trying to organize because of an incentive program initiated by Disney after the last vote...They said the program, which includes an hourly sales quota, emphasizes revenue over customer service...Other agents said they are evaluated on revenue, attendance and service quality, but if the first two are good, the last doesn't matter. "People are in tears at those reservation centers," said Michael Brewer, executive secretary-treasurer of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners.

Does anyone know if the vote to unionize failed again? More importantly, what do you think about the apparent change in evaluation criteria (see BOLD)?

For someone looking at the bottom line, you want your agents to push the GF and Poly instead of POP and the AllStars - you make more money!

Changing to this method of evaluation means the agents have to upsell properties that cost more and try to get fence-sitters to reserve at the Poly instead of the Port Orleans. There's a big difference between four nights at $99/night and four nights at $480/night.

But eventually agents won't suggest AAA or AP rates or packages, or even properties with lower rates, because that will cut back on the revenue they book. The guests just have to be smarter.

thedscoop said:
After reading this post earlier and thinking that the union rep claims sounded a little fishy I emailed a labor lawyer friend in Florida familiar with these type union negotiations and he said that the claims by the union rep sounded like nothing more than the typical hyperbole that is part of the union vote process.

By the sound of the apparent strong No vote, it looks like the cast members themself agree with him as I suspect that if there was much truth to them the CMs wouldn't have so soundly rejected the unionization attempt.

In the end, don't worry. Reservation CMs are still reviewed on customer service just like all other CMs at WDW.

I work at the reservation center and the union rep quoted in the article was correct . They offered an incentive program that causes agents to get fired if they don't make a quota. We have even been encouraged to hurry question seeking guest off the phone,refering them to the website for the answers. In my book, that is extremely poor guest service.

As for the vote, DRC makes up only 1/3 of all O&T castmembers who were voting for the union. Last time I checked, Secretaries didn't have a quota to meet.

I am no DRC expert by far. But here is my understanding and opinions.
Whenever -- the res floor agents were offered the choice to be paid a set dollar per hour, or be paid dollar per hour plus commission. The plus commission option was chosen. (I don't know when this was or how it was voted, etc.)
Res agents are allowed a set number of hours for personal time. This includes being late, taking off early, sick, etc. After they use up that allotted time, any time away from their station is very strictly enforced.
Those who earn in the low 20% I am guessing are thise who are let go or given the option to leave.
It is a rough job that most us would not want, I think.
Now if it were up to me, I would have res agents that do nothing but answer dining calls, and let Guest Services clean up any other res agent's mistakes. That way the res agents could work on new bookings only. But who is asking me? :rotfl: I suppose with that, then the required monthly average would increase too.

I would venture to say other CMs also have criteria they have to meet or loose their job too. Just like most of us. But I would also guess it is not as strict and documented as the res agents.

Luv2Roam said:
Whenever -- the res floor agents were offered the choice to be paid a set dollar per hour, or be paid dollar per hour plus commission. The plus commission option was chosen. (I don't know when this was or how it was voted, etc.)
Res agents are allowed a set number of hours for personal time. This includes being late, taking off early, sick, etc. After they use up that allotted time, any time away from their station is very strictly enforced.
Those who earn in the low 20% I am guessing are thise who are let go or given the option to leave.
Now if it were up to me, I would have res agents that do nothing but answer dining calls, and let Guest Services clean up any other res agent's mistakes. That way the res agents could work on new bookings only. But who is asking me? :rotfl: I suppose with that, then the required monthly average would increase too.

I would venture to say other CMs also have criteria they have to meet or loose their job too. Just like most of us. But I would also guess it is not as strict and documented as the res agents.
I personally have no real knowledge of how the company works, but in light of the many complaints I've read on these boards about the reservation agents, as well as a very poor, rude, unprofessional agent I lucked into when I tried to book directly, what you say makes sense. I did have to ask for GS in order to get a problem (caused by the res. agent) fixed correctly. It seems only the well-educated visitor will get exactly what they need from Reservations these days. I'm not so well-versed, so I was forced to go with a TA (AAA) to get what I needed.

Over the past few years, the training that the res agents get has gone drastically down hill. There are "communities" who answer only certain calls, so no one really would answer all calls they way they used to. It is all sales based, and what is mentioned in that article is true. Things started to change shortly after the last union bid was rejected. When a res agent asks you a million questions before you can even get a quote, or get whatever information you're looking for, it's because they are required to in their evaluations. Too many occurances of not doing so will put their jobs on the line. It doesn't sound like good guest service to me. :sad2:

I guess the DVC reservation people must fall under different rules. I don't ever recall being rushed or talked to in an unfriendly fashion by any of these folks.

DVC res agents fall under different rules because DVC members are already paying to be members. It's not so much the revenue based operation that DRC is.

Luv2Roam said:

If you get below 85% of the revenue per hour 3 times you are out, oh yeah they offer part time dine, where we lose benefits, of work in the theme parks. For CM's who live and work in Tampa, this is a little difficult. There is other criteria that has to be met during our phone calls, ie veriying names,addresses etc that if we don't pass that we don't get the incentive check (which they tax at 25% BTW), But you can't get fired for that. Only the money end and attendance. The attendance I can understand, but The agents can't control the calls that come in. "I already have my reservations,tickets etc, I just want to know when the 3 O'clock parade is, and how late are the parks open during my stay" are non revenue generating calls, that we have to take, but are counted in our revenue hours.

I just want to say one thing about the reservation agents... They are amazing

I called on the day my balance was due...thinking I was going to be able to tell to use the same card I put the deposit on. Well apparently the card isn't held in file. Unfortuneately I was calling from a Cell phone in the middle of the woods (camping) and I didn't want to give my credit card number. Well the agent, Matt, put me on hold for a few mins and got our due date changed untill we came back from camping. He really made my day (/week/month/year) I couldn't believe it I thought I was going to lose my deposit. Matt did everything he could for me and even had no problem answering a few questions for me. Thanks Matt if you are reading this

PattyIVtoo is correct, She knows,she's been there.

The agents are living under a sword of Damoclese to get high revenue. When the original plan was incepted (dec 03) the newly hired agents were told this was an incentive. Now incetive is a two edged sword, it can be looked at as a bonus or it can be a punishment. You deffinately want to make sure you're above 85% of the revenue goal, which at times is UNREASONABLE and the calls are totally uncontrolled as to what kind the CM's get.

Personally I know of 5 people who have been fired due to revenue. THey are told they can come back, IF they come back into a position of NON SALES.

It seems that Disney no longer cares about the quality of the call, but more of the bottom line. Sad to say, but true. And agents are feeling the brunt. The training is extensive, 6 weeks, but when you get out on the floor, you might as well toss those Skills learned to the wolves, because it's a whole different culture out there.

Agents go to work, have panic attacks and in general don't beleive in the Disney Magic any more... it shows.

IMO- most call centers are run like Boiler Rooms. Not quite that bad but the time on the phone is more important than the caller on the phone. When I worked at a major insurance carrier (Get A Piece of the Rock) they emphasized the "next call" was the most important. We ony averaged approx. 40-50 calls per day but the callers were usually disgruntled policy holders trying to cancel their business with us.

Patty, LUV2 and Ursula - Thanks for the info.

As a long time WDW visitor (06/72 to present), through the years my family and I have stayed many, many times at the resorts. Being an hour away didn't matter, our vacation dollars were spent, for the most part at WDW. I have to express 'were' here - I noticed the past couple of years whenever I called DRC for Ressies was often given the "run around", and by that I mean, I call for the Florida Resident rate of $79 for a mod, but am told I can stay at GF or CR "jr. suite" or something like that for $400 plus dollars.

DW and I would laugh - If I'm calling for a $79 a night rate - why would my next option, if not available, be $400 plus a night?

Now I know why - there is an "incentive" program. It figures. Our stays at WDW have dramatically decreased. (Going from 3 or 4 times a year to once a year.) All of this coincides with the 'dec 03' time frame Ursula mentions in her post.

It saddens me - my recent Disney experiences (past 2 years) have not been as memorable as in the past. There does seem to be "something" missing from the Disney of today, compared to previous years.

We are still vacationing and spending money, but just not at Disney.

Every single time in the past 2 years that I have called Disney Reservations with plans to stay at one of their resorts, each and every time I have gotten the run around with the "only thing we have available" is the suites ruse.

I thank them and go online and make reservations elsewhere, and I do not mean Orlando area.

In the past 2 years instead of long weekends at Disney throughout the year our vacation dollars have been spent in St. Augustine, Cumberland Island, Atlanta, the North Georgia Mountains, Savannah, the Florida Panhandle and various Florida Beaches.

Disney needs to get back to good old fashioned Disney customer service, that might solve a lot of their problems. Until then - I will continue to spend my disposable income elsewhere.

Thanks for allowing me the time to rant.

1HourAway said:
Patty, LUV2 and Ursula - Thanks for the info.

As a long time WDW visitor (06/72 to present), through the years my family and I have stayed many, many times at the resorts. Being an hour away didn't matter, our vacation dollars were spent, for the most part at WDW. I have to express 'were' here - I noticed the past couple of years whenever I called DRC for Ressies was often given the "run around", and by that I mean, I call for the Florida Resident rate of $79 for a mod, but am told I can stay at GF or CR "jr. suite" or something like that for $400 plus dollars.

DW and I would laugh - If I'm calling for a $79 a night rate - why would my next option, if not available, be $400 plus a night?

Now I know why - there is an "incentive" program. It figures. Our stays at WDW have dramatically decreased. (Going from 3 or 4 times a year to once a year.) All of this coincides with the 'dec 03' time frame Ursula mentions in her post.

It saddens me - my recent Disney experiences (past 2 years) have not been as memorable as in the past. There does seem to be "something" missing from the Disney of today, compared to previous years.

We are still vacationing and spending money, but just not at Disney.

Every single time in the past 2 years that I have called Disney Reservations with plans to stay at one of their resorts, each and every time I have gotten the run around with the "only thing we have available" is the suites ruse.

I thank them and go online and make reservations elsewhere, and I do not mean Orlando area.

In the past 2 years instead of long weekends at Disney throughout the year our vacation dollars have been spent in St. Augustine, Cumberland Island, Atlanta, the North Georgia Mountains, Savannah, the Florida Panhandle and various Florida Beaches.

Disney needs to get back to good old fashioned Disney customer service, that might solve a lot of their problems. Until then - I will continue to spend my disposable income elsewhere.

Thanks for allowing me the time to rant.
Not a Problem 1 hour. (grin) As you see, I too live 1 hour away, and I would prefer to go to BG these days.

Officially, I'm handing in MY notice today. I'm done. The magic no longer exists. It's just one big marketing monster. S/he who gets the largest Revenue gets the best of everything. I was a good agent, I kept my scores up, but sadly, I don't want to sit there any more.

I start work for the DCF tomorrow.

I know how you feel. What has happened to the magic? People are suggesting that Bob Iger might turn things around at Disney. Maybe we should all start e-mailing him with our complaints. Can you imagine if everyone that subscribes to the Disboards would do that, he would get almost 100,000 e-mails. If that wouldn't garner a response, I don't know what will. Unless Iger turns out to be an Ei$ner clone...... :confused3 :sad2:

I don't blame you in the slightest for being frustrated with that place. I got out of there about a year and a half ago--just in time for the whole revenue requirement thing to start. I was upset that it no longer seemed to be about the guest. It all became about how much information we could squeeze out of people, and how many reservations we could get each week. That's not all that magical to me. :sad2:

I know I'm going to get alot of flak for this post....but alot of airlines, credit card and other call centers have some sort of "quota" based employee eval's. My neice worked for a large credit card call center in Tampa for years, had wonderful revues regarding great customer service comments and attendance, problem solving skill. but when they started the "selling" stipulation in her job discription, her eval's went down and she was let go. She just wasn't a salesperson. So this is not unique to Disney. Also, I have yet, in all the times of calling the Disney Reservation Center ever gotten anything but great service. So to all of those employee's, thank you.

MandaPerry said:
I know I'm going to get alot of flak for this post....but alot of airlines, credit card and other call centers have some sort of "quota" based employee eval's. My neice worked for a large credit card call center in Tampa for years, had wonderful revues regarding great customer service comments and attendance, problem solving skill. but when they started the "selling" stipulation in her job discription, her eval's went down and she was let go. She just wasn't a salesperson. So this is not unique to Disney. Also, I have yet, in all the times of calling the Disney Reservation Center ever gotten anything but great service. So to all of those employee's, thank you.
Having worked in possibly the SAME call center your neice did, Capital One, I have seen how they worked. I'm not new to call centers, but I am new to the "Bottom line is better than the Customer" idea.

Capital One started out with just info calls, My team was one of the first to start doing the "upsells" at the end of the conversations. We had to offer one of 4 products (Credit protection, AAA like auto service, vacation deals, etc) and for each YES we got, we got points, those points could be used towards an incentive product in a catalouge. I save up enough points to buy a 3 cd disc changer(back in the mid 90's these were still fairly expensive)

Apparently this incentive process was expensive as well, since they discontinued it shortly there after, and went to a monetary based one. Gold Silver and bronze. I worked hard to get a gold each month,. and usually succeeded. However there were those who manipulated the system, IE Saying the customer accepted when they ddin't, etc.

Customer dedication dropped to an all time low. Stress began to wear on everyone, because a HUGE part of your preformance evaluation was based on these sales. but EVERYONE who offered, accepted or not, still got some sort of bonus. You had the opportunity to offer on each call. UNLIKE Disney. Eventually, last year, they outsourced the CS department totally to India... now they're hiring again.

At Disney, you can't tell wht kind of call you're going to get. Most of the calls that the worldphiles get (my segment) were for modificatons of existing reservations, people wanting to add on a night or take one away, see if there was a discount,. you name it, that was the call they got. These were not calls you could sell on because someone already sold the plan. if you didn't get a sale, you ddn't get that money toward your hourly goal.

I understand your point Manda, most people at the CRO really want to help the guests out, however there are those who don't care to, who just want to make that hourly goal (This month it was over $1000.00 an hour) so they'll get their "bonus" at the end of the month. Those people who've been there for 5+ years don't have the selling skills, they're customer oriented, and they're the ones who are being let go.

This was the only company I've worked for where you could pass your quality monitoring calls with flying colors, get a high managerial evaluation and still get fired because you didn't meet a quota. Mind you, when this started back in 12/03 it was listed as a montly bonus/incentive. They still call it an incentive, but it is truly a quota.

Disney has gotten away from helping the guest to making more for the bottom line, and while I'm ok with it personally, because I know how businesses operate, I think they're doing both their Guests and their employees a great disservice by letting them ALL know how disposable they truly are. Honestly, why do you train people for 6 weeks, only to see them fail because your buisness model needs some tweaking?

And thank you for thanking the employees who do their best. Far too often you just see people kevetching about the "Bad serviece" they got, because they didn't get what they wanted (ie: No discounted rooms,etc)

Maybe I'm not the brightest bulb on the block, but if people were happy with customer service be it at the call cetenr, hotel,parks or rests., wouldn't business increase (maybe not short term) but in the log term, because of overall customer satisfaction? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter