• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From Oil Wells to Jingle Bells-Bells,pg.66, See you in September!

I can't remember if this was the exact book, but if not, it was something similar.
51YXktDkcL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Can you tell I've got too much time on my hands this 3 day weekend?

10:25

Here's what I'd like everyone to do.
Take that little clock I just put up there, and stick it in the corner of your screen and leave it there.
No, it's not automatic, you will have to move the hands yourself, but I will keep it updated for you.

Got to the bus stop at 10:25, the last of a line of people were just getting on board and we jogged the rest of the way to catch it.

There's a saying in sports, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. I have since updated that phrase.

Sometimes the best busses at Disney are the ones that you don't catch!

Unfortunately, we caught this one.

It wasn't until we were half way moving toward the back that I realized this was a huge mistake.

Then we were pulling out.

There were many empty seats, but many people were still standing. I came to understand that the reason they were standing was because it's much harder to run, jump scream, punch and be a major craphead when you are confined to a seat.

We sat all the way in the back, next to what seemed to me to be a white guy like us, and our age.

I looked around before the lights went out, and though I didn't recognize any of them, I knew this was not only part of the first group that blocked our path, but most of the rest of the bus is also filled with regular Brazilian tour groups, all feeding off each other.

And I think they were spawning!

In front of us sat a terrified looking woman holding her sobbing daughter close to her chest, and one of them kept flopping in the empty seat next to her before he would run off again. I leaned forward and asked her if she'd like to come back by us, there's still and empty seat in the corner or I can move over, but she declined.
I think she was afraid of calling attention to herself.

This bus was crowded, but not packed like it should have been at this time of night, mostly because they weren't taking their seats and the bus driver didn't give a whit.

From what I could tell, there was maybe 8 of us on this bus that didn't belong here, and everybody had a look on their face that wished they were anyplace but here.

Then the lights went out.

And the chanting started.

It got louder, and louder, all the yellow shirts were into it now until the older guy next to me finally yelled something to them, and they stopped.

Then he yelled it again, only louder, and they repeated it, only louder.

And this went on, and on, and on.
Turns out he was the main guy in charge I guess of the hoodlums, all the non yellow shirts were getting panicky, I could just feel it, and I totally wanted to beat the crap out of the guy sitting next to me.

But I just sat there and steamed, like a good little Nebo.

We are talking an entire busload all screaming in the dark at the top of their lungs!

Believe me, if you weren't part of them, it would scare the hell out of you!!

10:50

We pulled up at the resort, and I waited until everybody else got off the bus, then I walked up to the bus driver.

"I want to congratulate you for making this the most terrifying bus trip that anybody that's not from Brazil has ever had, and you're supposed to represent Disney and the Magic."

He just looked at me, staring, like wondering what I'm going to do next.

He's probably taught not to say a word to an irate guest, but his staring and silence were only making matters worse.

I went on saying that he could have tried to stop it, calm them down and make them behave normally since he was the only one with any voice of authority, and maybe it wouldn't work anyway, but we'll never know cuz you didn't even TRY!

(now I'm getting all hot again even thinking about it)

Finally he said. "Then report me", and then I just stared at him for awhile, until he finally looked away and Diane was grabbing my arm, "Steve, come on, let's go."

11:15

We are back in our room, we were going to make sandwiches or something since we haven't eaten since the tacos 12 hours ago, but neither of us were hungry.
Ended up making a couple of drinks, seemed silly to start with the drinks again at this hour, but our nerves needed calming, and with the noise right outside our room, sleep was pretty much out of the question at this point in time.

I went outside to take a look, and now there must have been over a hundred in the pool alone, at a couple of tables were some older people drinking beer in bottles I'm going to assume were the chaperones, and in the field next to the pool a bunch of them were playing soccer, this is the area right in front of our door, on the other side of the walkway.

I went over to the smoking area, on the way there's a big folding sign planted right in the middle of the walkway saying; Please respect other guests and refrain from making noise after 10pm. The pool closes at midnight.

On the way back to the room, as I walked past the pool the thunderous noise dimmed noticably, I felt a bit like Kennedy would have felt going through Dallas if he's known it was coming.

11:30

I opened the door up, and Diane said she was just coming to join me since she's not going to be able to sleep anyway.
I sighed, ok, and we headed back over to the dsa.

Only this time an employee on a Segway was zooming around the pool, apparently according to him everything was in order, but before he could leave the scene I called out to him.

And he zoomed up to us, looked down on me from his lofty perch with his eyebrows raised in "Can I help you?" look.

Then I simply asked why Disney is not enforcing any of the rules that I have to adher to.

And this condescending bas,,,, I'm sorry, probably can't use that word, this condescending large mouth freshwater fish exrement,,,, wait, I can do better than that, this "fish species feces", asked whatever do you mean?

And I rattled them off.
"Sign says, no alcohol or glass containers in the pool area, take a look, they are drinking alcohol IN glass containers right ON the pool deck area. And see all that smoke coming up from the tables there? That look like a designated smoking area to you?"

Then I patted the folding sign next to me, "What time does that say that you're supposed to be quiet?"
Since I have been here, we've been threatened twice, not been allowed to sleep and yet you don't see a problem with it.

He was really pissing me off, making sure he didn't get off his Segway so he then has the advantage of looking down on you.

He stood up there, he actually reminded me of a young Keifer Sutherland, but he had that fake smile plastered on his face.

Then he said, "Sir, if you were threatened yesterday, I would have know about it because I was working then too, but I checked when I came on and there were no reports of any problems at all and right now you are the only one making any complaint.

I was livid. No, we didn't call in the second encounter by the bleachers since the first one got such a terrific response, that and that we just wanted to keep our plans at the MK without being helf up for something they are not going to take care of anyway.
Then he asked me how we were threatened.

And I was so mad, I exaggerated a bit. I said we were sitting in the dsa and the guy in charge shoved me, like this, ,,,, and I gave him a push to show him.

Well now, 'ol Kiefer has a pulse after all. This he did not like as I watched his eyes flare and his nostrils twitch.

Or was it the other way around?

But I wasn't ready to go on the defensive just yet and kept at him;

"You check your log book from yesterday late morning and you'll see that we requested extra security from the second we got to our ROOM! I practically yelled at him.

"And what about all the crap that they are doing right THIS MINUTE!?"
"It's going on midnight for the love of God, and you don't care what they do!"

I'm not sure if he thought first, or if he just said this to get my goat, either way, it worked:

"You have to understand sir, they are are guests."

I was sputtering.

"Them?"
"Guests?"

"They are your guests?"
"What am I, the pool boy?"

And we walked away, there was no point. He did get the last word in though, the one that got everybody's attention in and around the pool, when he yelled after us as we were walkinig to the smoking area, "Don't worry, we'll make sure they are all out of the pool when they are supposed to be at midnight!"

Great, thank you very much. Your discretion knows no bounds.

11:45

Sitting at the bleachers was a young guy from England, can't remember his name but he was very nice, staying in the touchdown section.

After we shared our complaining, he went and told us that last night security and cops were called to the other home run section building that we were not staying in, on the other side of the pool. According to him, one guy was arrested, maybe two.

Yeah, and Kiefer Sutherland just told us that there have been no problems until we started complaining to him!

12:00- midnight

A security guard comes up and yells "Pools closed", they all get out, some go back to their rooms, others jump back in as soon as he leaves.

Ol Kiefer didn't want a thing to do with that either, I guess.

12:30

We are mostly packed up, just snacking on some cheese and crackers and ready for bed.
I take a look outside and while there's still some people out there, it's a lot quieter than it was before.

1:00 am

We are both in bed, turned out the lights and looking forward to tomorrow.

1:05

I'm putting on my shorts, I can't take it.
Gotta know if the car is ok.

Car is still sitting by itself in the lot looking like the poor car that nobody wanted to ask to dance, but I didn't even bring the keys with me, just wanted to see what the tires looked like, and yes, the tires are fine.

1:15

Back in bed, yes honey, car looks ok.

1:25 am

"Steve?"

"Uh huh?"

"You hear something?"

"Nuh huh." "Don't have my hearing aids in."

"Would you mind putting them in for a moment?"

Ok, I know she's not just playing around at this time of the morning so I do what she asked.

I could faintly hear a melodic singing, sort of a rhythmic religeous chanting, but it was really hard to tell where it was coming from.

In fact, it sounde pretty spooky.

Then there was a "thump".

Again, hard to tell where it was coming from.

Another "thump".

More chanting, more singing.

I got out of bed, so did Smidgy, she put her ear to the wall..... nothing.

But the room now seemed much colder.
Much.

She felt it too and we both almost banged heads going to read the thermostat.

"Says 71," I said.

"No way!"

I pulled open the curtain a bit, but partly due to the light from out room, it was hard to see out the window for very far.

"Thump."

"Ok, come on, where did that come from, is that a pipe?" I asked.

"I don't think so", she said.

Then that rhythmic chanting started again.

Well, sooner of later I'm going to have to open the door and go outside and see what I can see, but before I did, she said:

"Does this remind you of the Shining like it does me?" She continued with, "I half expect you to open that door and Jack Nicholson is going to stick his head in and say, "Here's Johnny!"

"Or," she wasn't done yet, "The words 'REDRUM' are going to suddenly appear on the wall written in blood."

By now I was getting a pretty good idea where and what the sounds were coming from, and I said,
"That's great, just what we need now, a visit from 'Sanchez, the dyslexic evil spirit."
But before I could fling the door open, there was a huge "CRASH", we both jumped back and I realized it came from the picture window.

I flung open the door, and sure enough, a soccer ball is rolling away down the walkway.

By the time I closed the door, she was already on the phone again.

No, it didn't break the window, although I don't see how it failed to, it sounded like an explosion.

She said they told her they are going to send someone down to look into it.

1:55 am

I was in the john when there was a knock on the door, and yelled out, "Don't just open it, find out who it is first."

Even in the john I could hear the "Duh!"

I got out of there in a hurry, she had to bring me my pants first and as he walked in and introduced himself as the manager of the resort, I took him back outside where they are still playing soccer.

I started out calm, then showed him the chairs they had set up as a goal, a goal right in line with our picture window. As we were talking, another security guy was chasing them all away.

He was apologetic at least, and let me rant.

We told him we were leaving in the morning, and it would have been nice to actually get some sleep before we did. That's when he told us he was going to make sure this night was free, it's on him.

All I kept saying was I didn't care about a free night, I wanted justice I guess, and unlike Keifer Sutherland, at least someone that will listen and understand.

He said he understood, and don't worry, you won't pay for this night.

With nothing left to say or do, he left.

At 2:30 in the morning, we finally tried to go back to sleep.

And right before my body finally gave in to exhaustion, one last thought crossed my mind, it always has to have the last word;

"Why didn't you say anything to him that you were worried about the car?"

With that I am done, if I'd known this second part would take so long to tell I would have put it off, but , anyway, there you have it. have a good night. :upsidedow

HaleyB, you did a great job adding to the story, I never go back and proof read when I submit a chapter so it was kinda fun to also see what exactly i was spewing in the early chapters. I have no doubt that road would have terrified me too, i remember once driving up to Mt. Evans in Colorado back in '75, it was a littel bit higher than Pikes Peak and there were little or no guard rails back then. Now it's probably a 4 line highway with water parks and mini golf on each side.

Byn the way, it took me forever to figure out KWIM, but I came up empty on DED I thinik it was, help me please.

Nope, the road to Mt Evans hasn't changed! :) Now you just have to share the narrow, no guard rail road with 15 million bicycle riders and a few mountain goats! So I guess its more like an obstacle course these days.

Loving your report through the highs and lows. Thanks for sharing!

Jill in CO (looking at Mt Evans from my balcony!)

I was so nervous, shaking just reading this... I just HATE this for you guys!! And Kiefer's response, or lack thereof, just makes my blood boil!!!!!! A free night?? Hello??? It should have been an entire WEEK!!! I'm with you though, I'd just want justice, no amount of room compensation can make up for this experience. This is enough to never want to go in July, sheesh!!

~~~Dawn

How unbelievably awful! I can't stand it when people think the rules don't apply to them, but then when the management decides the rules shouldn't apply either...! I hope you got more satisfaction than just one free night!

That's disgusting. A free night doesn't do diddly, because how can you enjoy your days in the parks, etc, that cost a chunk of change, when you can't sleep?
Around here, we call people like this group "compound words." You can figure out the two epithets you'd like to string together.

actually, what the "keifer sutherland guy: said was

"july is Latin season at Disney. and they are OUR guests."

It doesn't translate in written word, but the emphasis was clear:
like, WE are part of OUR. like, WE should bend over backwards to make sure OUR guests have fun. like, WE are representing the USA to THEM, and have no right to complain because these groups come every year, we should be nice to them, they spend a lot of money, WE should stay out of THEIR way, and furthermore, do everything we can to ensure THEY have a good time.

his tone was condescending, as if to say "how can WE, as citizens of the USA NOT show OUR guests a warm welcome?"

THEY are Disney's guests, not mine. WE are Disney's guests.the size of the group shouldn't matter (with the exception that, they should take extra steps to ensure that large groups such as this don't encroach on the rights of the OTHER guests, who are equally important.)

yes, I expect some hijinks and noise with teen groups. this was ridiculous.

we did explain to the manager that we should have at the very least, if they're going to CONDONE this behavior, been told at check in which bldgs. these groups were in(wouldn't have helped on the bus , though.)(we should have been told when making the reservations. we could have saved money and stayed the 2 nights in kissimmee, as originally planned)

oh yeah! around midnight, coming back from the DSA, when securtiy had told them the pool was closed, I walked past a mom complaining to the security guard about it. and giving us dirty looks. and I heard the guard, in very "woosy" fashion, say to her "well, I can see both sides."

can see both sides??!! what other side IS there? pool is closed at midnight. quiet time after 10 pm. that means no screaming, yelling, chanting, soccer playing, etc. :confused3

if there had been no big soccer tour group there, and we had been there with, say, 3 other couple, drinking out of glass bottles, smoking, laughing loudly, splashing in the pool, screaming, etc, you better believe We would have been promptly shooed to our rooms.

but NOW, a Disney "official" has commiserated WITH the group, basically told them that "well. you're ok, but, since someone complained, sorry." making US look like the bad guys!?:confused:

so.. basically, whatever it may say in writing, whatever the "official" rule... the "actual WORKING " policy is:
let the groups do whatever they want. they come here every year and spend money. make other customers feel like jerks for complaining, make them feel like they are not also guests, not important. if someone upsets this status quo, try to "hush" them. .. but... above all! DO NOT upset these groups! they are royalty. sheesh.:sad2::mad:

Totally agree. If they are going to allow them to act like this THEY (as in Disney) have an obligation to tell US (their regular, well-behaved, rule following guests) what is going on. But they know if they did that we wouldn't come in July and we wouldn't stay at the All-Stars, especially not Sports.:eek: But you know, if they are so worried about losing our business maybe they should make sure that these groups behave so EVERYONE has an enjoyable, pleasant,and memorable (in a good way) time. I suspect that the Brazilians would still come for their soccer tournament even if they couldn't stay up terrorizing people all night.
I really hate this happened to you guys! I think you handled it very well though. It had to be hard to keep your cool in all that craziness!:headache:

It's not like Disney can't fill up those rooms. What is the deal? Do these bean brains pay more or what? It seems the cast members are afraid of them. It's the same with the pop warner bone heads too.:mad:
When we went last March we stayed in a hotel in downtown Disney all we had were some band kids that were really sweet.

I know I'm being a total instigator here, but isn't there at least one news station/outlet in Orlando that likes to pick on Disney and would love this as a story. We know you're not alone by the amount of closed threads on the boards...I would think this would be a great story to kick Disney's behind.

TyRy I know I'm being a total instigator here, but isn't there at least one news station/outlet in Orlando that likes to pick on Disney and would love this as a story. We know you're not alone by the amount of closed threads on the boards...I would think this would be a great story to kick Disney's behind.

At least to warn people about going in July

wow a free night:rolleyes: how about the tickets that are pretty much a waste because you are sleep deprived? what are these brazillian tour groups anyway a bunch of diplomats with immunity? *fumming for you on this one nebo*

OMG! My blood pressure wentsteadilyup as I read. :mad::mad: Hope te rest the trip is much better:hug:

btw thanks for a trip report that actually got me the guts to post. this started out like a fun albeit misshap filled trip (sounding like one of our vacations to the world) now it is like a nightmare so sorry. just can't wait to see how this plays out.

Even the more benign groups annoy me when they have to march through the resorts and parks holding a flag high for all to see, never saw the Japanese groups with a flag.

That's because the Japanese are about honor and not being disrespectful, apparently something they should teach those soccer groups.

Yep, as you said, much worse than Pop Warner.... MUCH worse indeed! We were only mildly bothered by the PW folks last Dec. But this?? This is beyond ridiculous.

I am so sad and angry that this happened to the 2 of you. But I also can't help to imagine if this happened to a family that had to save for years to be able to take their ONE "dream" trip to Disney?

Most of us here, who flock to these boards like addicts to free crack, have been able to go more than once, some a lot more than once. But for a lot of folks that isn't the reality. And THIS could have been their experience too. I'd be SICK if my first trip went down like this ~ it'd be my last trip too because I wouldn't go back.

Surely Disney must know this could be the case? Or do they really not care? Have they lost sight of Walt's dream? Walt wanted you to leave your cares behind when you entered his World! You spent an entire 2 days at his resort worrying and having a pit in your stomach because of the threat of confrontation around every corner.

While I don't know yet how the rest of your trip played out, I do hope that in the end you felt that Disney helped to make it right. If you didn't I hope that you consider writing a letter to guest relations explaining what happened. Not so you get anything free (although it would be nice and I think they owe you) but so that they understand that they were lucky it was you and Smidgy. You know the real Disney. You know the magic. Those families that may have been on that once-in-a-lifetime trip do not. Wonder what they say to their friends and families about that trip. Wonder how many people have a tainted view of Disney as a result of experiences such as this. How is that going to effect the bottom line? How are those Brazillian soccer tournaments paying off in the end?

Sorry...... I rarely, if ever, rant on here. Especially on a trippie! But AUUUUGGGHHH it makes me angry.

I really hope it gets better. Please tell me it's gonna get better. :guilty:

boy those last couple of chapters made me never want to back in July. We always stay at pop and I cant remember ever having those kind of problems. I feel so sorry that happened. And I am also sorry I called you Nemo, :confused3 I really meant NEBO:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter