• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From Oil Wells to Jingle Bells-Bells,pg.66, See you in September!

I just recently came across the trip report boards here at DIS. I have a long commute on the train to and from work, but with the internet on my phone the time goes by pretty quickly when I'm reading about other people's vacations to my favorite place!

Really enjoying your trip report so far, and looking forward to the next update!

Lori

here I am, just outside the doors to the lobby, running to and fro (pell mell; helter skelter; in and out and up and down and around the mulberry bush) trying to get a signal to hear the message which I know will tell us the location of our room(cause no one else ever calls me on my cell) and I am 20 FEET! from the check in desk, with NO line

You left out willy nilly

I am thoroughly enjoying this TR....there is nothing better than when a TR makes me laugh out loud...and I've laughed out loud a lot in this one!!!

Thank you, Queen, that is the best compliment you could have given me.

This is Maggie. I am so glad to see you back! This is nothing that gets me more excited for a trip than reading on of your trip reports!!! We will be down there ONE month from today!!!:cool1::banana::woohoo::yay::cheer2:
I can't wait to read more!
Emily will be on after today (she has to act at a Shakespeare Festival tonight).
Great to see you!
Maggie

Nice to see you again Maggie, hope you have a great trip. Say hi to Lady Macbeth for me.

Hi guys,

Just thought I would share a lil story... kind of like your missing medicine bag....

The year was 2005- month was October. My family at that time consisted of Dan, Tori, Dani and I... we ran a bar and cafe business in a small town in Nebraska. Well Dan travels for his job and we had planned a trip to Walt Disney World.. 5 days then a 3 day cruise on the Wonder...

I counted down every day for 8 months.. I was beyond excited :yay:... anywho.. Dan was out of town up to the day we left.. in that week he called to tell me our car was hit.. and other drama.. I was just thinking... I am going to Disney, I am going to Disney.. Well I was in charge of the packing. Dan got home around midnight when we were leaving for the airport around 3-4am. I closed the bar... and I am BEYOND excited.:yay::yay::thumbsup2

I close up all the suitcases... and we are out the door on time...:thumbsup2

I am going to Disney.. in fact.. maybe because I was soooo annoying about that trip.. it was most likely one of the main reasons we are divorced today,,,
NOT.. just kidding.. ok back to the story..:lmao:

We travel.. we get to Disney... we get to our room in the Dalmation area at movies.. we are going to change... and go to one of the parks/..

Hey Dan.... where is my suitcase?:confused3:rolleyes1

Yep, back in our room above the bar at our home in Nebraska.... I didnt let that ruin my fun... I wore Dans clothes for several days... BTW mens underwear are not comfortable... :rotfl2:

We shipped the bag.. Very expensive :scared1:.... but our cruise stuff was in there...

Moral of the story... I check.. double check, triple check... OCD check to make sure I have everything now..

I feel your pain..l my dear friend.. been there, done that... hmm what other commonly used sentences can I use.. :rotfl:

ok taken up enough space..

write on dear friend... write on... :thumbsup2

Bee

Isn't that the sickest feeling? And when it first dawns on you, you can literally break out in a cold sweat. Great story, Bee, and to feed you another cliche', thanks for sharing.

Now I am more wigged out Imma gonna forget something......

As well you should be!
No, don't worry Monica, I'm sure nothing will go Wrong!And that plane crash today? Hey, they weren't going to Disney World.

I don't like going through the mountains either, Diane!!! AHHHHH! I especially hate it when I'M driving! Can't wait to hear more about Vero.

I checked googlemaps and it would've only taken an extra 24 minutes to pick up I-75 in Lexington AND visit your friend Melinda. Next time come through town and I'll meet you at Cracker Barrel. My treat! :)

Sounds good Melinda, instead of bacon, can I get manhattans and eggs?

just kidding.

I don'[t really like eggs.
:rotfl:

Hey Nebo, look what I just came across:

Thank you for the compliment, there are so many great writers with different styles here, it would be nice to be up there with them. (shout out to Nebo)

This is from a fantastic report I am reading, very different from this one, but it reads like a novel.

You all HAVE to read this.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2529975

And of course I will reference your link over there as well:thumbsup2

And Marita, I will back up your claims, she's an excellent writer, it's like reading a Harlequin romance novel.
Not that I have ever read one.

Recently.

Just jumped over here from RigLee's TR and trying to get caught up. It sounds like a wild ride. I can't wait to read it all.

Nice to have you hear Mom, can I call you Mom? Feel free to pipe in any time.

Awww! You missed me! :hug: :cool1:

I am here, lurking...

Got ALL my emails and messages about the new trippie~thank both :worship: Loving the new report my friend...cannot wait to read more~

~LYMI~

Ok, ok, I missed you. I was afraid I was gonna have to come over there.

Consider me fashionably late, but here none the less.:)

It's great to have you back to BN, You know, you and I joined the dis the same month. I have less then 900 posts, and you have over 16000! WOW!

:lmao::lmao:Smidgy I am seeing this in my minds eye and just laughing and tears are pouring from me.
I have done this.
I was meeting Rig (my husband) at a friends house, as I was driving over I got a text from Rig but couldn't read it, cause I was driving and aside from it being illegal to text/read and drive I'm just not that capabale of doing 2 things that technical at once.
I get to our friends house and Rig is waiting out front for me, I open up my cell and I have 1 bar that keeps fading in and out, I kept walking all over the yard trying to get a signal and then Rig asks me "babylee, what are you doing?"
I'm told him I couldn't read his text on the way over and now I don't have a signal and still can't read it, I told Rig I was going to drive to the top of the hill and park so I could read the message, and Rig said, "Or I could just tell you what it said.":confused3
Color me every shade of feeling dumb that there is.

I am really loving this trip report, you and Nebo are so fantastic.

Isn't it amazing how dumb you can be sometimes?
Not that I have ever done something stupid like that, as anywon hear that nowes me.

I too have jumped over here from RigLee's TR, and am enjoying your story. I am from the Chicago area as well, and have made the drive down many times myself. Looking forward to reading more!!

Hi, welcome aboard. You know, if you post again I'm going to have to come up with an acronym for your screen name, and that's usually not good.

I just recently came across the trip report boards here at DIS. I have a long commute on the train to and from work, but with the internet on my phone the time goes by pretty quickly when I'm reading about other people's vacations to my favorite place!

Really enjoying your trip report so far, and looking forward to the next update!

Lori

Hi Lori, and welcome. You should have a new chapter to read tomorrw morning, thanks for enjoying.

The limbo, the Cold Duck, the crowbar night watchman line.......I feel so close to you.......Like I know you. Are you my Brother-in-Law from another Mother-in-Law??? AND my DS(15) is now thoroughly convinced that I have lost my mind because I am LOL.....You're a funny guy. Can't wait to read more.

sounds like we have the same kind of "luck" ;) I call it bad luck my dh calls it a lack of orginization

I've been reading about Babylee and Rig and jumped on over here. You do not disappoint! Can't wait for more.:woohoo:

OMG - how did I miss this. Hope you and Smidgy have been doing ok! I actually invoked your name on Friday while we were car shopping and test driving a Santa Fe. I told DH yours had made multiple trips so it would be a good car to get :rotfl:

OK - back to the beginning and to catch up.

Yes, you read that right. We were divorced in '99, got back together in '02 and remarried in '03. The downside is neither of us can figure out now how many years we've actually been married, I think it's around 28.

And no, we don't celebrate two anniversaries now! Stop it.

You guys should...we do :rotfl: Our starting date of ninteen years ago is much more impressive than our married date of only eight years. So I make DH celebrate twice. ;) What's funny is we can always answer the how long we've been together part, but takes us a minute when they ask how long we've been married. :laughing:

Drive as far as we can Friday, stop along the road somewhere
Stay in Kissimmee, or Ocala Saturday, leave early in the morning.
Drive to Vero Beach, a DVC we have never been to, stay for 5 nights
Drive to All Star Sports for fri and sat, check out sun.
Drive to Beach Club Villas for 5 nighs, back on the points,
Finish the trip with 3 nights at Music, using 25% off code, same code for Sports.

WOW - this is gonna be a great trip!

90 to 294, 294 all the way to the end of the tollway to rt. 80, couple miles west on 80 to rt. 57.

Then rt. 57 south till you fall off the edge of the world. :

Wait - your taking 57...I thought you hated that way even though a bunch of us said that way was better. :goodvibes

My brain could not accept that I was doing this.

I"m going the wrong way!

My body was vibrating, my stomach hurt and I'm sure there was a little spittle forming between my lips.

But on I drove.
You have no idea how hard it was not to go 90 mph.
And now we get to head back into Chicago during rush hour.
Oh joy. :

OMG - you are a good man...To be on 57 and then have to turn around knowing you'd just have to be back on 57...that is pure torture! :scared1

The limbo, the Cold Duck, the crowbar night watchman line.......I feel so close to you.......Like I know you. Are you my Brother-in-Law from another Mother-in-Law??? AND my DS(15) is now thoroughly convinced that I have lost my mind because I am LOL.....You're a funny guy. Can't wait to read more.

Let's see, I'm trying to work this out;

Brother in Law from a different Mother in Law,,,,,,, um,,,,, that would then make me,,,,,,,,,,,,,confused.:happytv:

Thanks for joining in Stepsister. I mean Stepdisney.

sounds like we have the same kind of "luck" ;) I call it bad luck my dh calls it a lack of orginization

I truly feel for you if you're like me, cuz on this trip we haven't even really started with PAIN, yet.

With Smidgy done hopping around and our room ready, I sighed.

For some reason I always enjoy the pool time waiting for our room to be ready, I guess at this stage of the trip after all the driving I just wanted to relax for a while by the pool with a couple of my favorite painkillers.

She saw the look on my face and glanced down at my knee. "Does it hurt as much as it looks like it does?"

"Actually, it hurts, but not THAT bad."

For some reason, even though I've really only been sitting in a car all this time, it was swollen more than it ever has been, probably because it's my right knee, the driving knee and it had to stay in one position all this time.

She offered to unload everything but I told her no, I'm comin', I'm comin' Mr. Dillon.

(I know, you're all too young to get that ref.)

Back through the lobby, and woontcha know it, right next to the twin elevators in an unarmed, unmanned luggage cart.

We brought it down with us to the garage where 5 of it's brother were waiting at the bottom. Oh well.

After loading the thing to the max, my bathroom bag's strap held in my teeth, I pushed it back to the elevator with her guiding.
She pushed the button, I positioned it in front and shortly I heard a "Ding".

I couldn't really see through the hanging clothes, so I waited a second to make sure someone wasn't getting off, then I shoved it forward.

"WHAM!"

Whoops, wrong elevator.

Hey, I had a fifty fifty chance.

She held the doors open while I repositioned it and we found our room on the 3rd floor.

(me and Disney elevators have never gotten along.)

But the room was a surprise.
We had seen diagrams of the Inn rooms, and they were nothing like this.

You walked in the door down a hallway, then you made a left to find the rest of the room. It was bordering on huge.

it was also bordering on Arctic, I went straight to the thermostat and saw it was set on 65........I raised it to 71. As I was doing this, I hear "WOW, Steve, come look at this."

I did, and this is what I saw from our balcony.

verobeachbeachclub001.jpg

and.......

verobeachbeachclub002.jpg

20 minutes later we were mostly unpacked and headed back down to the pool.

The pool is a gated community, access by room key card.
Well, you would need to use the card if there wasn't this endless line of peopled going into and out of the pool area.

It was crowded.

All the tables with umbrellas were taken, and there were a lot of them. We ended up grabbing a couple of loungers a little back, but still in a good area.

Once we settled in I was off in search of the designated smoking area, which turned out to be pretty close.

Then we lied there a while, talking about our good fortune in scoring that room, and the whole trip so far in general.

Even with the 331 mile detour and the lost six hours, we still got here about when we hoped to, and all that was now behind us.

I smiled.

And again.

She looked at me quizically.

I bent my leg, straightened it out, then bent it again.

"Ah, pills kicking in, huh?"

"What pills?":angel:

As we lay there, I can hear snippets of conversation from this family next to us, but I couldn't be hearing right, it sounded like they had caught a turtle and were keeping it in the bathrub for now.

I had left my aids back in the room, so I asked Diane if I heard that right.

Yep, she said, she couldn't believe it either.

It's like this;

This stretch of the coast is extremly popular to loggerhead turtles and they do their nesting right on the beach.
They are endangered.

I hadn't seen the beach layout yet, but I knew this is one thing you don't mess with.

There are even signs in the lobby not to mess with the nests.

For about every 100 hatchlings that try to make it back to the ocean, about 20 survive. Usually it's done in the middle of the night, but the gulls and crows set their watches by them not wanting to miss the midnight buffet.

Even if it wasn't a loggerhead they were talking about but a regular mud or box turtle, still, it's against the law to take them out of this state.

The rule is, "What's born in Florida, stays in Florida."

It was easy to figure out who the mom was of this fine group, and for the rest of the trip she became known as "Turtle Lady."

Even now I still regret not saying something, but sometimes you can't be sure that you've got the story right.

It took only about 15 minutes to get to the basting stage and we headed to the water.

Now my ideal pool temperature is about 86. Anything colder, especially on the hottest days like today, can really be a shock when you jump in.

Believe me, the last thing I want to do is have a heart attack from the shock and go toes up at a Disney resort.
(I'm not a fun date)

But this was incredible. You couldn't really feel the water, it was like an exact match. I've never been in a pool this warm since I was 6 years old and my parents stuck 8 neighborhood kids in a little wading pool.

It wasn't the heat that made that water warm.

This had to be about 92, actually, too warm, not even refreshing.

A little later Smidgy noticed this couple behind apparently preparing to leave, they had one of the covetted umbrella tables, but she also saw turtle lady eyeballing them too, and her group was already occupying at least four tables and a mess of loungers. Which were all mostly empty.

So Diane cheated.
She went up to the woman and asked if they were leaving, which they said yes in a few minutes, and Smidgy asked if she could put a bag on the table now, before they leave.

(take that, turtle lady)

We really needed the shade at this point.

But it really is a nice complex in here. Big slide, playground, and on one side is a 9 hole miniature golf course that costs two bucks to play. Yeah, it was very basic, but still.
On the entrance side of the pool is the refillable mug station, next to that is the Bleachers Grill, a take out counter with the usual Disney stuff and next to that the rental shop for bikes, putters, basketballs, tennis rackets and what not.

Later on we changed and made ourselves a travel drink in the refi mug and went to get a better lay of the land.

From talking with some people, it seemed to me that there was more of an upscale clientelle hear, turtle lady excluded. At first I was telling folks that we were interlopers renting points, but after a while I decided heck with it, I can pretend I'm a DVC owner for these 5 days.

Before we left the lobby, Diane wanted to know the best way to get to the Orchid Pizzaria, she read on line that it had great pizza and was in easy walking distance.

Now, the woman at check in told us that one thing we really should try during our stay is the pizza from the restaurant right here, Shutters.
She told us they totally changed the regular Disney pizza recipe, and now it's way improved.

Right now we just want to know where the other pizza place is for later in the week.

Smidgy spots a cast member standing to the side and we approach him together. Smidgy asks her question and he says just take the road we came in on to the right and it's about a block down.

"Thank you," and we turn away.

"But......"

"You really should try the new and improved pizza here, it's nothing like the typical Disney pizza you've had in the past."

"Ok, tha...."

"Really, it's excellent."
"It's cheesy, spicy,tastes great, it's scrumptious!"
"scrumptious?", I thought.

I could see what was happening, and I needed to stop it before he said it.

He was on the path, he just hadn't gotten there yet, and I did not want him to say the big "IT", not if I can do anything about it.

"What? "Are they running a sale on adjectives at Wallmart?", I said.

"Ha ha, real funny," he replied, and then I could see the little light go on behind his eyes and I knew I lost.

He knew it too, for that light turned into a little side smirk and he leaned forward towards me and said;

"But really, it's TO DIE FOR!"

This is one of those overused saying that just makes me cringe and really sticks in my craw.

(those of you who don't know where your craw is, ask your mothers)

It ranks right up there with; "Have a good one", "24/7", and "At the end of the day."

I just hung my head, nodded and mumbled thanks as I skulked away, a beaten man.

Back outside we headed back to the pool, only this time at the entrance we made a left and walked down this short path to a deck that then leads down to the beach.

For the first time today we are finally getting an unobstructed view of the ocean.

There's a good chance that the dates on the photos don't match up with my story, but it really doesn't matter, these five days were pretty much interchangable, and I'm not positive I had the date set right on the camera.

verobeachbeachclub014.jpg

Gazing out over the ocean, one of the dumbest political quotes I have heard in years popped into my head, and I couldn't resist.

"Hey, look! I can see Sarah Palin from here!"

Soon we left and continued on. There really isn't much "on" to continue to, just to the studios that we considered staying in before we chose the Inn.

We made the right choice.

The studio buildings were arranged in horseshoe shapes facing the ocean, but where it looked like there would be a courtyard in the middle turned out to be overgrown with landscaping.

They were really pretty dark and gloomy, and if you stayed here, you would probably never really have a reason to go in the main building, unless for dinner.

On the way back we stopped for a smoke at the DSA on the porch and Diane said she's run up and refill our mugs.
I started talking to some guy who just reeked of pompous success.

"So, where you from?", he asked.

No, "Hi, how are you." Just that opening line.

Didn't bother me so I told him Chicago.

For some reason, Chicago still has a stigma attatched to it, I think it goes back to the mobs and Al Capone days.

He was from New Jersey.
Not Trenton, or any other city, people from New Jersey always seem to just say,"New Jersey."

Then businessman in the dark sunglasses when it's just about night asked me, "So, you looking forward to seeing your ex-governor, Rod Blagojevich thrown in the slammer?"

Had to give him credit, he even pronounced the name right,,,and spelled it correctly too. :-)lmao:)

So I told him my opinion.

"He'll be lucky to get a slap on the hand"

His face turned red, he almost shouted, "What are you talking about? He's guilty as sin for trying to sell the Senate seat,,,,And I"m a Democrat!"

"Ok, I'm an independent, not that it matters, but the problem with a lot of people's thoughts on the subject is that he DIDN"T sell the seat, you see, it's not illegal to be an incompetent moron."

His eyes lit up, said something like "Holy Cow I never thought of that", and now I had his respect and a best friend for life.

And that was all the political crap I was going to deal with this trip.
From now on, I'm from Milwaukee.

Diane came back down with the drinks and I introduced her to him and his brother in law.

Then I finished by saying,,,,"They're from a suburb of New York City".

(boy, I just know a couple of readers are gonna let me have it)

But he just laughed and said, "New Jersey."

"Like I said."

They did ask us if we were going to the campfire the next night and I said "why not?" What else is there to do?"

Back in the room we had Chicken Ala King for dinner, with Cottage Cheese and a hunk of summer sausage. Then we spent a little time just looking around form the balcony.

Sure was pretty at night.

verobeachbeachclub003.jpg

Then we talked about tomorrow.

I'm the morning person and the pool opens at 8, and we had a feeling for a decent spot we should be there close to opening so I was elected.

I'm not worried, how many people go to the pool that early?

goodnight :hug:

Haha, hi "neighbor" :rotfl:

Great view. I can't believe the Turtle lady. some people!

I must say your TR is to die for :rotfl2: Sorry... I couldn't resist. I'm weak I know :cutie:

nebo also hates,"he's "good people' ." and "six of one, half a dozen of another". you'd think I would have to be careful what I say but, nah, I just say what I want. ..until recently....since he bought hearing aids he can now hear all those things I mumble under my breath!:scared1:

a new side of Nebo and Smidgy this trip..looking for shade! we NEVER sit in the shade. choosing loungers at the pool is a major issue with us, have to look at surrounding foliage, where the sun is (and where it's going). nope, sunny now, but gonna be shady in an hour, no good.
we discovered that in July, shade is a good thing. so now table with umbrellas, that never mattered before, are a good thing.
now, the rule at this resort is, you can save a spot on the beach ALL DAY. but not so, by the pool. makes sense. no one told turtle lady. but I'm sure Nebo will get to that.

our room was L-shaped. I had done my research, and corner rooms were L'shaped. this was one room in from the corner, and we scored!! the kitchenette area (when you first walked in) was almost totally sep. from the rest of the room. and the view! the only not so good thing was the balcony was enclosed, with a solid wall half way up, so, even tho there were 2 chairs and a table, you had to stand to see the view.
I was very happy! (and Nebo stopped referring to us as "interlopers" becuase he was getting a bruise on his shoulder from me punching him.:laughing:)

Hi! I am in! Not in a very timely fashion, but i am here. And enjoying the heck out of it! dagnabbit. :lmao::surfweb:

KIM

I so woulda said something to the turtle lady...

but that's just me ;)

and you knew this was coming...

Not everyone in Jersey is in a NY suburb!

I am in a Philly suburb and the rest are down the shore :)

I've been reading about Babylee and Rig and jumped on over here. You do not disappoint! Can't wait for more.:woohoo:

Hi ellie and welcome to the party, glad you're enjoying.

OMG - how did I miss this. Hope you and Smidgy have been doing ok! I actually invoked your name on Friday while we were car shopping and test driving a Santa Fe. I told DH yours had made multiple trips so it would be a good car to get :rotfl:

OK - back to the beginning and to catch up.

Hi Tracy, welcome back, how's Mark doing?
Yeah, we just love the Santa Fe. It's an '03, and this was the 11th trip to Disney. It's also been to Niagra Falls and have had no problems with it.

You guys should...we do :rotfl: Our starting date of ninteen years ago is much more impressive than our married date of only eight years. So I make DH celebrate twice. ;) What's funny is we can always answer the how long we've been together part, but takes us a minute when they ask how long we've been married. :laughing:

Actually, we have reverted back to the original anniversary, June 17th, and one is quite enough, thank you very much.

Wait - your taking 57...I thought you hated that way even though a bunch of us said that way was better. :goodvibes

I really only insisted on 65, just to irritate Rhonda, but honestly, we switch back and forth a lot on the routes, sometimes depending on when we leave. If it's during the week, we'll take 57, if we leave on a Saturday we'll usually take 65. 65 is shorter, with a higher speed limit, and the first fil-up is in Kentucky where the gas is much cheaper then the high tax rate in Illinois. Yet 57 avoids two cities.

By the way, whether you come down 65 or 24, there is a great bypass around Nashville we always take now called the Briley Parkway. Saves time and aggravation.

OMG - you are a good man...To be on 57 and then have to turn around knowing you'd just have to be back on 57...that is pure torture! :scared1

That was, without a doubt, the hardest trial I have put myself through in years. With the extra added light hours in early July, I had visions of almost making the Florida state line that first day, instead we had to settle for Murfreesboro, Tn.

:rotfl:Loving this TR!

Great, as we say here in Chicago, post early and post often.

Whoops, emergency edit here. This is not Smidgy. This is her better half.

Have I mentioned how good it is to have you back??? :hug:

Thanks Jaime, I missed doing this, say hi to Rhonda for me.

How many people go to the pool that early indeed!:lmao:

What, we're talking 8 in the morning for cryin out loud. Ya think I could be underestimating things?

Nebo, I lurked on many of your other TR and :rotfl2: with everyone of them. Glad you're back! :dance3:

And you have done a good job lurking since I don't remember your name, and I do believe that name would be hard to forget, even for me. Hope you stay out of lurkdom.

Haha, hi "neighbor" :rotfl:

Great view. I can't believe the Turtle lady. some people!

I must say your TR is to die for :rotfl2: Sorry... I couldn't resist. I'm weak I know :cutie:

I have to admit it took me a bit to make the neighbor connection til I looked at your avatar or whatever that thnig up there on the left is called.
But then you had to get mean and use that phrase.

No problem, I choose to forgive you and at the end of the day, I hope you have a good one, 24/7.

Hi! I am in! Not in a very timely fashion, but i am here. And enjoying the heck out of it! dagnabbit. :lmao::surfweb:

KIM

Hi Kim, welcome back, I remember you. You post once every trip report whether you need to or not, dagnabit, kind of like the Cubs attitude about winning the World Series every century.:lmao:

I so woulda said something to the turtle lady...

but that's just me ;)

and you knew this was coming...

Not everyone in Jersey is in a NY suburb!

I am in a Philly suburb and the rest are down the shore :)

I knew I was going to ruffle your feathers when I said that, but this guy was a real cocky ***, and deserved the sarcasm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter