From Dream/Fantasy to Wonder/Magic

mdurette

DIS Veteran
Just curious - we have only been on the Dream and Fantasy. I'm looking for our next cruise. Some of the Wonder/Magic itineraries are interesting.

My Question:
Since the Dream/Fantasy are newer and bigger - would I be disappointed with the Wonder or Magic?

Not at all. We prefer th Magic / Wonder to the Mega ships after sailing both. Everything about the classic ships is great, don't have aqua duck but we only rode it once so no loss for us.

ITA!

Although our next cruise is booked on the Fantasy, we feel more 'at home' on the Wonder and Magic.

We've done 2 cruises on the Dream, 2 on the Wonder (our first DCL cruise was on the Wonder) and 2 on the Magic (the first was a WBTA).

It just depends on your likes and dislikes. However- none have had mechanical issues, even though the oldest DCL ship had her maiden voyage in 1998.

HTH!!

I hope you won't be. I found the experience on the Magic and the Fantasy to have a lot of similarities -- the same kind of Disney cruise design and feel that was established with the Magic and Wonder was translated to the new ships. While you may find specific things that compare better or "worse," overall I can't predict you'd be outright disappointed. I think it also goes both ways -- some aspects of the first ships are better than the newer, and vice versa.

Our 1st cruise was on the Dream, then we did the Hawaii cruise on the Wonder, I have to say at 1st I was very surprised! I was worried for a bit that I would be disappointed, but then I feel in love! Viewing it as a classic ship, brought an elegant feeling to the beauty of the ship. I am not sure what cruise you are looking at, but I don't think you will be disappointed. We are going on the Panama Canal Cruise, another cruise on the Wonder and I am so looking forward to it - I think you will be just fine with either the Magic or the Wonder

My Question:
Since the Dream/Fantasy are newer and bigger - would I be disappointed with the Wonder or Magic?

Only if you equate "newer and bigger" with "better". My perspective is that just because something is newer, it doesn't mean its better. I've also never considered bigger to automatically mean better.

As far as the ships themselves go, we've sailed on all four and each has their own charm and features. About the only short coming I see with the older ships is no Remy, and Artist Palette doesn't have an elaborate show.

We went from Dream/Fantasy to Magic and Wonder in May for Panama Canal. Let me tell you if we could only sail on one class of ship it would be the classics. Try it out, you too may be hooked. More intimate, crew really gets to know you, more meaningful interaction with all aboard. Luv luv luv.

In my opinion, there are pros/cons for each of the ships.

The sail away party is different between the classic and newer ships - I prefer the party on the classic ships.

The newer ships have more technology - especially in the kids clubs (magic playfloors for example), more 'rooms' with varing themes, and a much larger teen area that includes outdoor space. If you don't have kids, then no issue. My kids like both, but do like the playfloor and the increased space in Vibe over the spaces in the classic ships. No midship detective agency on classic ships

The classic ships 'feel' less crowded to me. More ability to get to know more cast members and bump into folks you meet and chat with during different events, which I like. If going to castaway cay, then less folks on the island.

Palo seems to vary a little between the ships (pizzas for example). Palo is always wonderful, but there was something about it on the classic ships I seemed to enjoy more.. . .

No Remy or aquaduck on the classic ships.

Longer cruise on the classic ships offer the 'tea' with Wendy or Alice and a character breakfast, which the newer ships do not.

I think all 4 are awesome and would not hesitate to go on any of them!
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter