From CP to career at Disney

Oswald2011

Earning My Ears
What is the best way to go from a college program to a career at disney (in the long run). I am currently on the college program (from Jan to Aug) in merchandise in magic kingdom. I have changed majors now (even though I am not currently taking classes) because this CP has helped me realize I want to stay with Disney. I was planning on extending in August and then going part time (hopefully in my location) while I work on more school (probably 2 more years to get a degree in business management). Then I was going to apply for the retail management PI and hopefully just work my way up from there. Is this the best course of action for someone wanting to work for disney (as a merchandise manager obviously). Any advise?

I think you're right on track. Getting into a PI is probably the best way to move up into management
I never worked in merchandise but when I was in both QSR and Entertainment I had very few managers who hadn't done professional internships or been on the CP.

do you know if it is hard to get statused after a PI? or is it hard to request a PI location? I LOVE working in MK and would want to request that. I don't think most would want to work in MK because of the late hours, but I would LOVE to.

I have no idea.
Of my friends that have done PI's only one didn't get statused after and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact they were on a hiring freeze at the time, he ended up taking a lower level position in another area to keep his fulltime position. The other 4 people I know that have done them were all statused.
Granted that's just an example from a handful of people so I really don't know how difficult it is.

When you apply for CP you request areas and get placed. When you apply for a PI you are applying to a specific area/role.

I went from CP - PI in '08-'09. At the end of my PI I had the option to stay (on a temporary status), meaning that if there were budget cuts I'd be the first to go. So I went back to the parks instead and was statused in Merchandise - The Pirates League.

Some PIs lead into FT work, but some do not. It actually depends on the PI and how big the department is. When they post the PIs (probably around Aug-Sept), read through all of the different job descriptions and decide which ones you are qualified for. They ask that you only apply for three (many apply to more - I applied to 5).

Then you can ask on here who has experience with those specific PIs, is there opportunity to be hired on FT at the end.

I believe the majority of Management Interns go on to get statused. But most Managers were not interns first. It's more common to find a specific Line of Business (Merch, Attractions, Ent) and spend 2-5 years working your way up to Management.

If you're able to get a MI - DO IT! But if not, don't stress there are a lot of other avenues.

If you know specifically which area you want Management in now - try to make sure you get a CP in that area too! It's very hard to jump Lines of Businesses for advancement. So you'll want to get comfy in one area, network, show your skills, then put in for management when they hire (typically once every 12-18 months).

If you're interested in reading my path (it goes back to Dec. 2007) check out my blog (you need a livejournal account): http://brennailya.livejournal.com/

I work for Disney Publishing Works (DPW), and was headhunted by a recruiter out of London! I am getting ready to relocate to Beijing, China. I have no idea how the park side of the house works, but DPW is out of NYC and they use recruiters. Good luck!

The PI I want is a management PI- the retail management one. The CP I am in now is in merchandise, so I'm already in that line of business and my CP leader at work knows I am interested in all this, so he is helping me to become a trainer and network with duty managers, and other leaders, etc.
Thanks!

I work for Disney Publishing Works (DPW), and was headhunted by a recruiter out of London! I am getting ready to relocate to Beijing, China. I have no idea how the park side of the house works, but DPW is out of NYC and they use recruiters. Good luck!

That's awesome! Did you get recruited through school or through work? I would love to work for DPW but I have no idea how to get there.

That's awesome! Did you get recruited through school or through work? I would love to work for DPW but I have no idea how to get there.

I got headhunted out of the London, a friend is on their books and she recommended me for the job. I have been out of school for many years, and the job I will be doing is very specific and there are not alot of qualified folks in the states who can do it. I have lived in Europe for 12 years and am now moving to Beijing, China. DPW wanted folks who were mobile and willing to live outside the states. That is not an issue for me as honestly, I have absolutely no desire to live or work in America. Also, my qualifications have to meet technical expertise status in China to get a work visa. That is why they are using a UK based headhunter and not one in the states. I am going to work in a career based professional position, this is not some crappy joe job selling soda or working in a gift shop. Those positions are filled by the CP program:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter