Frogg Togg Chilly sport and pads - do they work?

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
We'll be at WDW the end of June. Do the frogg togg chilly sport and pads really work? Any pros or cons?

I was a big fan of our Frogg Toggs until our past trip this August. It was really, really hot, a Central Florida heatwave (three words you don't want to hear!). Like "feels like 109" Anyway, they didn't work that well during that and just made me feel hotter.

But I think for normal heat, they are worth trying. Some people don't find they are helpful, some people love them. I agree with the tip about cutting them in half!

I've been wondering this as well, and was going to start a thread. Hope you don't mind if jump in with questions, OP, instead of starting another thread. :-) How long do they cool you off for? If it dries up and you wet the Frogg togg again, do they start cooking you off again? And, do they get your shirt all wet if you drape it around your neck? And one more thing, I'm wondering what shape they are, it's hard to tell at Amazon. Are they square, or more like a longer, scarf like shape that hangs past the shoulders, like around to your chest area? Do you just need one per person, or cooler with two? TIA! :goodvibes

I bought one to use when we went last July/August, hoping it would help me out in the torrid Florida summer. Honestly, it was just annoying for me. However I do believe I am in the minority. Most folks rave about them, but I grew tired of keeping up with mine and found the solace it provided to be limited.

I utilized a three step solution for keeping cool: 1) chug gallons and gallons of water 2) step into AC frequently 3) sweat like a hog.

Minniekins, feel free to jump in!!!! From what I see, they're more rectangular….13x33. The sport size is appealing to me at 7.5x33 but they have slits on one end to stick the other end into and I think that'd annoy me. I didn't think about cutting one. Is the material such that I won't have to worry about it fraying?

I was planning on buying one per person before our July trip - kinda hoping they work

We'll be at WDW the end of June. Do the frogg togg chilly sport and pads really work? Any pros or cons?
o my yes, wonderful. My DH did not like them though. be aware they may take off sunscreen. My DD got a sunburn in the same area and I think the towel removed the sunscreen.

We loved ours-I bought one sport and 2 bigger ones and cut one of the bigger ones lengthwise in half. Doesn't affect function at all. In fact-most of our pics the kids have them around there shoulders! We would wet well, wring out just a bit, then use. We stayed in a condo so I would wet them the night before and stick them in a ziplog bag and put in fridge (just for an extra chill) but they really do cool you off. They do not get clothes wet or damp at all. When they start drying out just rewet (water doesn't need to be cold). I used it when I gardened during the summer as well.

I've been wondering this as well, and was going to start a thread. Hope you don't mind if jump in with questions, OP, instead of starting another thread. :-) How long do they cool you off for? If it dries up and you wet the Frogg togg again, do they start cooking you off again? And, do they get your shirt all wet if you drape it around your neck? And one more thing, I'm wondering what shape they are, it's hard to tell at Amazon. Are they square, or more like a longer, scarf like shape that hangs past the shoulders, like around to your chest area? Do you just need one per person, or cooler with two? TIA! :goodvibes
it is not sopping west only damp and your sweat keeps it damp too cooling you off. I usually have two and rotate them but that is because I am the only one that uses them.

I was at the Magic Kingdom yesterday. It was 88-90 and sunny. I purchased the chilly Dana and used it yesterday for the first time. It worked much better than I expected it to and better than any mist or fan I've tried. It is triangle shaped like a bandana but I used it like a scarf.

I bought one to use when we went last July/August, hoping it would help me out in the torrid Florida summer. Honestly, it was just annoying for me. However I do believe I am in the minority. Most folks rave about them, but I grew tired of keeping up with mine and found the solace it provided to be limited.

I utilized a three step solution for keeping cool: 1) chug gallons and gallons of water 2) step into AC frequently 3) sweat like a hog.
I agree with you. Plus, they smell.

I bought 2 for our trip next month! Can't believe it is already 90 there!

They cool for as long as they are wet. Maybe an hour? They have to be very wet to cool. Then you wet them again (using some water from a cold water bottle is nice), and you start over. They don't drip, they hold the water, after you apply it and wring it out a bit. I wear it around my neck and then down inside my shirt (very stylish LOL). They are rectangular and you can cut them. I can get two out of one. I find they are too much material without cutting. When I get home, I wash them and let them dry out completely and then they are ready to go for the next trip.

We LOVE our Frogg Toggs chilly pads! We use them at Disney when it's hot, and DS also uses his between innings during baseball games.

My DH and I loved them and would never go without them again. We went in August last year and they were one of the few things that made the weather somewhat bearable. I found that they worked MUCH better when very wet (hardly wrung out).

Here are some photos to give you an idea of what they look like when worn.
10622792_10100661405785013_6149912209992110373_n.jpg
They aren't super stylish. I was very reluctant to wear gym clothes for most of the trip because I wanted cute photos wearing sundresses. I quickly figured out that I would not be comfortable in anything but athletic wear in the August heat. The Frogg Toggs don't look too odd when wearing athletic clothes.

10649623_10100661405555473_2386620654498167088_n.jpg
Here, you'll see, though, that if you use them, you might as well leave them on for photos. Just take a look at my shoulders. They look super sweaty, but they're just wet from the Frogg Toggs.

They cool for as long as they are wet. Maybe an hour? They have to be very wet to cool. Then you wet them again (using some water from a cold water bottle is nice), and you start over. They don't drip, they hold the water, after you apply it and wring it out a bit. I wear it around my neck and then down inside my shirt (very stylish LOL). They are rectangular and you can cut them. I can get two out of one. I find they are too much material without cutting. When I get home, I wash them and let them dry out completely and then they are ready to go for the next trip.

Thank you, ArwenMarie! Hmmm, that's a lot of rewetting, but if it works and keeps you cool, that's, uh, cool, lol! Will cold water stay cold much longer or not really much? Disney style, right? Lol. Yeah I wouldnt want it to be too bunchy, that wouldn't be comfy, so thinner would be better so that's a good idea to cut them. About how long do they Hang down from the neck?

I'm thinking maybe a combo of these and a small personal fan I can hang from my neck, too. Anyone else do it this way?

Thank you, ArwenMarie! Hmmm, that's a lot of rewetting, but if it works and keeps you cool, that's, uh, cool, lol! Will cold water stay cold much longer or not really much? Disney style, right? Lol. Yeah I wouldnt want it to be too bunchy, that wouldn't be comfy, so thinner would be better so that's a good idea to cut them. About how long do they Hang down from the neck?

I'm thinking maybe a combo of these and a small personal fan I can hang from my neck, too. Anyone else do it this way?

When they work, they are great. They just didn't work for me last summer but I think it was because it was SO hot. I am going to give them another try in the future. The cold water feels good in the moment, not sure how long it lasts. They don't go too far down although you can cut them into any length you want, shorter or longer. These are the ones I bought. I cut them into two but sort of diagonally.

http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Togg-Chilly-Pad-Blue/dp/B003YF7W22/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter