• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Friend I'm going with doesn't have cell phone - alternatives?

I'm leaving in 10 days to go to WDW with a friend who lives halfway across the country from me. We're obviously taking separate flights and planning to meet at the ME desk. I found out over the weekend that neither she nor her husband owns a cell phone! It works for them, so that's nice, but I'm concerned about being able to communicate while we're on our trip -- she said she would like to possibly schedule in a pool afternoon (we're only going for a long weekend) and I have no interest in a pool break, among other potential communications challenges. I own a pair of those little walkie-talkies with a 5-mile range -- any thoughts on how well that would work, from any of the parks to Pop? Having used them at WDW before, I know that they're not completely reliable, but other than insisting that she buy a go-phone (which I'm not going to do), what other choices do I have?
Do you possibly have an ipod touch that is not being used currently? Would you be willing to lend it to them for a few days? A free app can be downloaded from the app store that would assign the ipod a number and the ability to send and receive free text messages.

I hope this helps!

We went to Disney World and met friends many times before cell phones. We managed very well.

Of course we were not impatient people and did not mind waiting.

It can be done.

I'll check out the cheap go-phones. If I decide to do that, I'll get one and mail it to her this week so there's no problem getting hold of each other from airports (she has to change planes, which is always a worry). !

I would ask them first if this is ok- not everyone needs a cell phone and they may feel like you are pushing something on them that they do not feel comfortable using.

(my dad would never do that--lol

As to the person who wrote that cell phones have become indispensable because we have made them that way, I look at it a little differently. My take is that they have become indispensable because they are a valuable tool and have made our lives easier.

Have they? How? Instant contact 24 hrs a day.

UGH - I remember our first trip to Disney and our cells didn't work too well. Were kept losing signal in AK! One time I waited a solid 30 mins in AK after picking up a FP trying to find my DH and kids. I told them EXACTLY where to wait - he misunderstood and waited somewhere nearby. This repeated itself at least 2 more times that day in AK. Insanely frustrating - particularly on a short trip with only 2 park days. After that, we avoided splitting up whenever possible. I love cells.

1- Uhh, why? They don't seem to have a problem with not having a phone, the OP does.

2- There is a reason I don't have a cell phone, and I don't care if it's only $25, no one SHOULD have to buy one to make someone else happy.

1- Because they will SOLVE the problem presented by the OP.

2- Anyone is free to ignore the advice offered here.
But, the answers come from literally years of experience in similar situations, and
that's why this board can be so useful.

Have they? How? Instant contact 24 hrs a day.

And this is a bad thing?

Maybe if you have an annoying boss or mother-in-law or demanding children or an overbearing friend, it's a bad thing. (Or, if you have one of those situations, you could just silence or turn off your phone when you don't want to be in contact.)

For me, it's a good thing. When my adult children want to contact me, they can. When I want to do my job to the best of my ability, it's an amazing tool. When I want to get together with friends, it makes it easy to coordinate where and when we want to meet. The list is endless.

If none of that applies to you, that's fine. I was just giving my personal perspective.

And before anyone thinks otherwise, I enjoy being with people face to face! For example, when I DO get together with those friends, my phone is put away so that we can talk and enjoy our time together without distractions.

Not everyone who uses and appreciates a cell as a tool to make life easier is a slave to it.

As with everything, YMMV!

Do you possibly have an ipod touch that is not being used currently? Would you be willing to lend it to them for a few days? A free app can be downloaded from the app store that would assign the ipod a number and the ability to send and receive free text messages.

I hope this helps!

Wouldn't you need wifi for this? There is no wifi at the parks at WDW.:confused3

We used walkie talkies with our kids back in the dark ages when cell phones weren't ubiquitous. I recall talking to our DDs at our WL room from Main St and it worked really well:earsboy:

No, no extra iPod touch (DS16 has one, but he'll be using it). And I asked about walkie talkies, but the range isn't great enough to use between Pop, where we're staying, and the parks. I just sent her an email asking if I could pick up a $10 go phone for her to use. We'll see what she says.

1. Wouldn't you need wifi for this? There is no wifi at the parks at WDW.:confused3

2. We used walkie talkies with our kids back in the dark ages when cell phones weren't ubiquitous. I recall talking to our DDs at our WL room from Main St and it worked really well:earsboy:

1. Not if it had cell service

2. thats because there is pretty much line of sight between those two points. When they say 5 miles they mean clear line of sight, no buildings or anything between.

... (Or, if you have one of those situations, you could just silence or turn off your phone when you don't want to be in contact.)

So, a cell doesn't always make your life better. :rolleyes1

Look, I have a cell, my wife has a cell, my kids and grandkids have cells. They are a handy tool just like my wrenches. I'll stand with my original point, we have made then indispensible. I remember the days before television was in everyones home, when telephones were a luxury when most people relied on busses to get around. I grew-up playing sandlot ball with my neighbors. On a real ball field with real balls and bats. Now you play ball in front of a screen sitting in your bed room. People sat on their proches and knew their neighbors and kept their eyes on the neighborhood kids. People talked to one-another, face to face. You're are entitled your opinion but life was better then, it was a safer world because people were connected, not by a phone stuck to their ear but by their personal relationships.

Look, I have a cell, my wife has a cell, my kids and grandkids have cells. They are a handy tool just like my wrenches. I'll stand with my original point, we have made then indispensible. I remember the days before television was in everyones home, when telephones were a luxury when most people relied on busses to get around. I grew-up playing sandlot ball with my neighbors. On a real ball field with real balls and bats. Now you play ball in front of a screen sitting in your bed room. People sat on their proches and knew their neighbors and kept their eyes on the neighborhood kids. People talked to one-another, face to face. You're are entitled your opinion but life was better then, it was a safer world because people were connected, not by a phone stuck to their ear but by their personal relationships.

And, there was no Disneyland or Disney World.

Look, I have a cell, my wife has a cell, my kids and grandkids have cells. They are a handy tool just like my wrenches.

Agreed on all points - I never said they ALWAYS make life better, and I also said they are a "tool".

I'll stand with my original point, we have made then indispensible.

Again, agreed! I just look at the process a tad more positively than you seem to!

I remember the days before television was in everyones home, when telephones were a luxury when most people relied on busses to get around. I grew-up playing sandlot ball with my neighbors. On a real ball field with real balls and bats. Now you play ball in front of a screen sitting in your bed room. People sat on their proches and knew their neighbors and kept their eyes on the neighborhood kids. People talked to one-another, face to face. You're are entitled your opinion but life was better then, it was a safer world because people were connected, not by a phone stuck to their ear but by their personal relationships.

We are probably not that far apart in age, so I could (and do - just ask my kids) wax nostalgic about "the way things were." The difference is that I don't necessarily think it was all BETTER! I promise you, I still have many personal relationships! And technology (including, but not limited to, cell phones) has many times ENHANCED rather than detracted from those relationships. In the past, we all bonded with our high school classmates for four years, then only reconnected at reunions every ten years or so, right? Well, now I have a constant Facebook Scrabble game going with three of my best friends from high school over 30 years ago. We live in 4 states, yet we are able to "chat" about what is going on in our lives, share stories of our kids' successes and struggles, and yes, even make plans to get together in person when we can. That is just one example - there are many more.

I'm sorry we have highjacked the OP's thread - I'm interested to hear if her friend will take her up on her offer - but I weary of the insinuation that modern technology is always impersonal and devolutionary, when at least in my life it is just the opposite.

Please feel free to embrace it or not, but don't portray me as a disconnected techno-drone because I choose to use it!

Please feel free to embrace it or not, but don't portray me as a disconnected techno-drone because I choose to use it!

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I have a very good friend who is a Luddite. He would tell you the world has become a much worse place since the computer and cell phone have come into our lives. I don't completely agree with that but I notice that in times of natural disasters it is the HAM with their Morse Code who are able to communicate. BTW, I graduated high school in 1960. My 3 best freinds and I all enlisted in the service. We all came home.

We went to Disney World and met friends many times before cell phones. We managed very well.

Of course we were not impatient people and did not mind waiting.

It can be done.

We manage WAY better now with cell phones so our trips are more enjoyable and less stressful. I like that.

Or, you would plan to meet at a restaurant or a theater or the corner drug store or some bodys house, etc. If you were delayed you went to the pay phone that were everywhere and called them at the restaurant, etc. Can't do that now because cell phones have eliminated phone booths.

At Disney? I thought we were discussing staying in touch with folks in the parks?

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I apologize - I did extrapolate from the following statement you wrote:

You're are entitled your opinion but life was better then, it was a safer world because people were connected, not by a phone stuck to their ear but by their personal relationships.

I have many rich personal relationships in spite of (and, as I mentioned, often enhanced by) using a cell phone extensively.

BTW, I graduated high school in 1960. My 3 best freinds and I all enlisted in the service. We all came home.

Thank you for your service. I was ROTC and spent 7 years in the AF. My husband retired 10 years ago after 23 years in the AF.

I think for my sanity, I would purchase a GO phone for them and ask that they give it back to you before you separate ways at the end of the trip.

I think for my sanity, I would purchase a GO phone for them and ask that they give it back to you before you separate ways at the end of the trip.

Thanks, I think this is what's going to happen. I did send her a message asking if that would be ok -- unless she really objects (and I don't think she will, I'm pretty sure they don't have cell phones more for financial reasons than anything else -- her DH is a major techie video game and web designer), I'll be heading over to BestBuy to grab one this weekend.

And as to the ongoing debate -- every new technology that has come out has caused this same kind of reaction -- "it's making us move farther and farther apart," "talk in person rather than by smoke signals..." There's good and bad in every new technology. 12 years ago, I knew a woman who thought answering machines were horrible -- she was the membership contact person for a group I belonged to. People who were interested in the group would call her for info, and she didn't have an answering machine! Someone gave one to her, and she proudly stated that her husband glued it to their ceiling as a decoration, since there was no way they were going to use it in their home.

Yes, cell phones have their good and their bad. I personally love them, but have moments when I prefer to turn them off and not be available 24/7. When my son was in college, I loved getting that quick text that just said "I'm thinking about you" -- he wouldn't call and say hi two or three times a day, but he would text as he walked to class, tell me a joke, say something about the class he just had. The number of emergencies the phones have been used for -- flat tire on the expressway, we're taking DS to the doctor, the school being able to reach me in the car or at work -- all make it worthwhile. Yes, we could manage at Disney without them -- but if a better alternative is available, use it! I'd prefer not to stand around waiting when I could use that time to go on an extra ride or wander through Morocco, without leaving my friend stranded not knowing where I am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter