Friend doesn't wanna do HDDR....

Trollingforthimbles

Mouseketeer
So, we are going back to the world in Nov. We will have MYW+DD and as a result will be doing a few signatures. My original thought was to do the SOA show, but after reading the reviews for HDDR I decided to swap to that.

Now: my friend doesn't want to do it, he thinks it will make him nervous and/or be boring. Also, he's not thrilled about the food there. (tin buckets and all)

So, I was wondering. Does the food suck? Do people just go for the show? What is the show really?

And finally, if we do decide against it, what can we replace it with that would also be two credits. We are already going to Flying Fish, Le Cellier and Yacthsman.

Not gonna lie, the show is the main attraction, but that doesn't mean that the food isn't great! Yes, it is served in tin buckets, but it is just part of the theming. If your group likes fried chicken and ribs, you can't go wrong with the Hoop Dee Doo! And, if you are so inclined, there is bottomless beer and sangria included in the price! The show is kind of an old west variety show. If you ever visited the Diamond Horseshoe back when there was entertainment, that gives you an idea. I think of it as a classy "Hee Haw" with an amazingly talented cast. The jokes are cheesy, but the singing and dancing are phenomenal! It is one of my favorite Disney experiences. I'd recommend category 2 in the balcony for a great view of the stage and its a great place to people watch. If your group is split, I'd try to convince them to do it. If nothing else its an entertaining evening with good food and lots of laughs.

Please try to convince him to go. The show is fantastic. No way to be bored. Loud show, corny but funny. This experience is about the show not the food. The food will fill you up(beer included). This is not fine dining, white tablecloth. That being said, it is fine picnic fare. Salad, ribs, fried chicken, baked beans, cornbread, strawberry shortcake. You'll make very bad "bear" jokes for weeks.

Our family loves the Hoop Dee Doo! The food is good, but the show is hilarious. If you don't mind spoilers go to youtube and you'll find lots of Hoop Dee Doo videos.

We LOVE the HDDR, we are going yet again this year. the show is FANTASTIC! and the food is really good. Yes it's served in buckets, but thats part of the shtick.

We're going to HDDR for the first time this trip. Are there small tables or do they seat you with others? There are only 3 of us. I'm ok with that, just curious...

We're going to HDDR for the first time this trip. Are there small tables or do they seat you with others? There are only 3 of us. I'm ok with that, just curious...

They will sit you at your own table.

We love the HDDR. I hope you can convince your friend. The food is good "Down Home Cooking" with fried chicken, ribs, baked beans, mashed potatoes, delish corn bread and salad and strawberry shortcake. Beer, Wine and Sangria are included. It is all you care to eat.
The show is great fun, with lots of corny jokes, singing, dancing and audience participation. No way to be bored.
Good Luck

Try to convince him to go! I'm not a huge fan of "meat on the bone" but the atmosphere is great and the show is so fun. The strawberry shortcake dessert is delish! The show is WAY better than the luau!

I love Hoop Dee Doo, and we've taken many folks who, like your friend, thought they would hate it, but were willing to try, and they loved it. If you like ribs and fried chicken, it's a great time. The show is not boring.

Having said that, as a general rule, at Disney, we have a standing rule never to push anyone to do something with which they are not comfortable. There's so much to do, any one thing is probably not going to make (or break) the trip.

Sounds like dinner show may not be your friend's idea of fun. Perhaps consider Citricos or California Grill in addition to the three you have listed.

This show is performed 1000+ times a year and has been for 30+ years. Would this have happened with bad food or a boring show? Probably not. The chicken is the best I've had. The ribs are great and the cornbread is heaven.
In '06 we met a yuppie type couple waiting outside for HDDR to start. She was not happy about her new hubby dragging her to 'some hillbilly show.' By the end of the show she was banging her washboard and laughing and having a great time. It's corn done well and appeals to a wiiide audience.

It will make him nervous??
Other 2 credits that are good: Brown Derby, Narcoosees, Citricos or Jiko.

HDDR is a must for our family and thats how we are kicking off our vacation tomorrow night. It is a good place for the kids to participate and be loud. The food is good and the drinks are better! The three of us have always had our own table as well. The show is anything but boring!

we hoop every visit! my kids (23,19 &15) love it as does DH. Everyone gets to pick a dinner and the others can't complain and must happily go along. A couple of weeks ago DH came in the door from work and his first comment of the evening was "I call Hoop De Doo" for my dinner. The kids are in a huge running debate as to the fairness if it being his "dinner" because we would do it anyway. When our kids were small the rule was "You can't say no until you try it".......It may be your favorite thing.

Definitely try and convince him to go. We thought it would be corny and boring. Yes, it is a bit corny, but the food, unlimited sangria/beer, make the show even funnier! We love it and it is one of the highlights of our trip!

We would not dream of doing WDW without one night at HDDR. It is knee-slappin' hilarious. We always laugh until we cry.

Having said that, the show is not for everyone. You really have to be in the mood for "corn." We have occasionally witnessed other guests not enjoying themselves...one family even got up and left in the middle of dinner. But an overwhelming number of guests love it! We can tell from the bus rides back to the resort, everyone laughing and singing and talking about how amazing it was. I have been with 5 generations of family and we all unanimously agree this show is a must-doo!

The food does NOT suck. Does it compare to Flying Fish? Well, no. It is a completely different style. It is delicious for what it is. The fried chicken is crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. The ribs are tender and not too fatty. You can ask for more of any one thing you love, ask for more drumsticks or white meat or beans. We like the buckets and the tin plates, they are part of the charm. I love the sangria!

If you decide against HDDR, I recommend California Grill for a scrumptious meal and a breathtaking view!

I was in the same boat months ago but with my mother - she just thought it was cheesy and she wouldn't enjoy herself. She also said that they food wouldn't be for her. Well I kept the ressie anyways and it was our #1 favorite thing we did during our stay :) My mom was so happy we went, really convince him to go.

My wife and I have been talking about doing this for years but we have never gotten around to it...my fear has been the beer - we ain't drinkin' no bud light even if it is the only liquid left on the planet...upgrade and we're in.

The food doesn't suck, but it's not gourmet or anything. It's picnic food. Not bad but it won't blow anybody's socks off.To those who have an aversion to paying 50 bucks for picnic food...you're pretty much paying for the show and there is some food thrown in. The show is just a riot, but yes, it's corny and slapstick.

Tell your friend it's all the beer, wine or sangria you can drink, maybe that'll work. I won't touch Bud Light either but I can put away the sangria.

For years I had heard about HDDR and had no interest in going despite glowing reviews. However finally last summer after looking for new things to do at WDW I took my dd's there to celebrate my older dd's 12th birthday and we LOVED it. The show was so much fun and the food was simple but delish--truly one of the best parts of this trip. I am only sorry that DH had to work and couldn't join us on this vacation and dds have vowed that on our next trip we have to go again so daddy can see HDDR too!;)

We really enjoyed the food and show. Nothing to be nervous about they ask people before using them in the show. The person they picked from the next table was very clearly an extrovert and thrilled to be asked. They don't approach you unless you look like you want to be approached.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter