Fried Green Tomato Sandwich Returns at Cafe Orleans

RemainSeatedPlease

Part of Your World
I was perusing menus on Disney's website today and noticed that the beloved Fried Green Tomato Sandwich that is no longer being served at Hungry Bear is now being served at Cafe Orleans. It is available on both the lunch and dinner menus.

The price? You may want to sit down for this...

It will cost you a modest $18.99, compared to the $8.59 it was at Hungry Bear. I looked up the old Hungry Bear menu and here is how the menu descriptions differ:

Hungry Bear:
"Cornmeal crusted fried green tomatoes layered with slices of fresh heirloom tomatoes, topped with Havarti, Rémoulade, jicama-mango slaw and served on a multi-grain roll"

Cafe Orleans:
"Fried Green Tomatoes and Zucchini, Pickled Slaw, and Cajun Rémoulade on a Potato Roll served with fresh Fruit"

Thoughts? Feelings?

I did notice that there was also a "chicken muffuletta sandwich" on the menu...I don't eat at Cafe Orleans enough to know for sure if that was another new item, but it didn't look familiar.

Hmm. I'll probably have to try it but that's pretty steep for pretty much the same thing.

That fresh fruit is really expensive. If it came with pommes frites, I would forgive the price.

I tried it at cafe orleans and i have to say i was disappointed. It was a little bland, and i actually liked the one at hungry bear better. Not worth the $18.99 at all.

I tried it at cafe orleans and i have to say i was disappointed. It was a little bland, and i actually liked the one at hungry bear better. Not worth the $18.99 at all.

Good to know! I was going to have to decide between the FGT sandwich (my former favorite quick service item) and the Monte Cristo (my favorite DLR indulgence).

And now it's out for me. I may or may not be allergic to zucchini...I'll find out for sure, but the weird reaction I had half an hour after eating it the last time, even if the skin test doesn't agree with me, scared the heck out of me.

I don't know WHAT they were thinking. There is nothing in that sandwich worth $20.

And now it's out for me. I may or may not be allergic to zucchini...I'll find out for sure, but the weird reaction I had half an hour after eating it the last time, even if the skin test doesn't agree with me, scared the heck out of me.

I don't know WHAT they were thinking. There is nothing in that sandwich worth $20.
They're trying to keep pace with the price of the Monte Cristo. Which is dumb, because there's a lot more that goes into preparing those, and most people share them.

Last week we tried both the Fried Green Tomato sandwich and the Chicken Muffuletta sandwich (AKA: holy-crap-batman-that's-a-lot-of-meat sandwich).

We split the FGT sandwich; it was a bit blander than I expected, but it was enough for two people (with a starter of Pommes Frites). It looked like 3-4 fried tomatoes (with some fried zuch) and toppings, making it a pretty big sandwich. The sandwich could have used some onion and/or mustard (or something sharp), but was certainly an experience worth having once. It also could have used a more substantial side for the price, as the grapes were pretty sad.

A few days prior, I tried to eat the Chicken Muffuletta sandwich myself and failed: it was huge. It was a seasoned chunk of chicken (breast I assume), with a pile of tasty meats and cheeses on top. I've had better muffuletta sandwiches, but this one was tasty + filling, especially considering the side of spiced fried potato things. This sandwich had better flavours than the FGT, though was ultimately too much meat for me.

I agree. I would think they would at least provide a more valuable side for that price. But, I'm not surprised. I remember my husband ordering a Monte Cristo at BB and the disappointment we experienced when the side was really just a couple of grapes and raspberries on a big toothpick. I don't know how they can get away with selling the same sandwich for almost $10 more than at Cafe Orleans. You are basically paying $10 for fruit nibbles and a small cup of gumbo. Even though we like the sandwich, we don't order it at BB anymore, it's not worth it when you can go right next door!

There's zukes on it now?!

I LOVE zucchini! I've never eaten at Café Orleans, but maybe we should next time we go. Hmmm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter