Fridge vs. Cooler

DreaGirl

DIS Veteran
We are planning to stay at a moderate priced resort in October. We thought about sending a cooler UPS to the hotel.

Are there ice machines in the hotels? We are just looking for money saving options. We also plan to ship so food/supplies down in the box also.

Is this one area where we shouldn't try to save money? Thoughts?

Thanks!

4 of us stayed at ASMOVIES in Sept. and ordered groceries from Gardengrocer.com(highly recommend) and we ordered a styrofoam cooler for $6....we put bottled water , a huge OJ and 2 slim quarts of milk along with juice boxes and soda cans into it and covered everything with hotel ice machine ice. Use a bag to add fresh ice every day.Worked great,,,but I wouldnt put leftovers or things that will sink and get waterlogged in cuz they sink...glug glug glug...LOL
The rule was if u took a drink out of cooler u replaced it with the same kind of drink so there were always COLD drinks for everyone to enjoy. Worked well.When we checked out we left cooler with leftover drinks in front of a door with a lime green mickey head in the window!!Whoohoo !
Ten bucks a day for a fridge is nutz.:grouphug:

Yeah, I agree. I cannot justify spending 10 dollars a night for a fridge. I'm still talking up GG to DH. He thinks it is a waste and doesn't want to spend the 50 dollars. I think it will save us money. Oh well, we'll work it out.

Thanks!

Assuming you are flying down. Take a cab ride over to the Crossroads and go to Goodings. Buy your styrofoam cooler and all of your food there, use the hotel ice maker and you are all set. As for opened packages, use the ziplock freezer bags, they work great. We drive from Canada and take a Koolatron cooler, that works just great. Cheers!

Robert

I thought that all moderates and deluxes had a fridge in them now. Am I wrong??

Really, we took a huge cooler our first (very budget) trip staying at ASMo and were just fine. Took a smaller one also to deluxe hotels in later years but only taking a very small foldable one this year as we are on the dinning plan and plan to get mugs too. I agree that coolers can get leftovers yucky if you are not careful.

We stayed at POR and we had a fridge. I do believe all the mods have fridges now.

Ditto on the mods having free fridges (still charging $10/nt. at the value hotels, though)

Another tip: If you don't have a car to go to a grocery store, food, milk, and juice are a lot cheaper at the store on the property than at the food court!

Cool! Now we don't have to worry about the cooler!

I think we are going to rent a car, we don't want to wait on buses with DD, since we will be going back and forth for naps.

In case you are leaning toward the fridge, I can highly recommend A Baby's Best Friend www.abbf.com. We reserved one with them for our last trip at Pop and were very pleased, $50 for hte whole week, and it was clean, like new and held so much stuff. It even had a little freezer in it. SOOOOO much nicer than worrying about ice and all that like on previous trips. They are a great service and thought you would like to know there is a less expensive alternative to the resort prices. :goodvibes

Fridge is free, but is a small dorm size one. We fit water bottles, gal of milk, soda, yogurt, and cheese in ours. Maybe a few other things as well, can't remember. We did take a cooler bag for in the parks, and filled it at the ice machine every AM.

We did the buses a whole week last summer, even though we drove down there. We found the bus service much more convenient than driving. Buses let you off right by the gates, so you don't have the long walk through the parking lots. Also, at MK you still have to get on the ferry or monorail from the parking lot if you drive. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus, and never had to deal with traffic. If you are at CBR or CSR, then you do not share the bus with any other resort... no crowding. I would save the money on a rental, and use the buses. Put the saved money towards gardengrocer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter