• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Friday's Poll: How many times have you camped at the Fort?

How many trips to the Fort?

• 2-4

• 5-10

• 11-20

• 21-45

• 46-99

• over 100

Results are only viewable after voting.

AuntBJ

DIS Veteran
So how many trips have you made to Fort Wilderness? For this poll, you can include Cabins but it should include an overnight stay.

For me it is 5, 3 camping & 2 cabins, to the best of my recollection.

It is so hard to keep count. My inlaws started camping when the park first opened and I my first time trip of any kind with them was in 1976. When I started going to the fort with them, we went every Labor Day weekend and the week following. Then, when we bought a popup, we camped on our on. Now we own a TT a go at least 2 to 3 times a year. So my estimate is somewhere around 30 to 40 times camping and in Disney hotels about 40 to 50 times. Headed to the World tomorrow, can't wait!:banana:

Sorry for the dumb typos in the above post, in to much of a hurry!

I can't remember, :confused3

but I have fished at the Fort 237 different times.:woohoo:

not sure how I know that.

We have found staying at Fort Wilderness is actually a different experience from the resort hotels. We used to stay at Wilderness Lodge, which I love love love. But in the several years we stayed there we had yet to form any kind of lasting friendship with others vacationers. We were all too busy, going somewhere, getting somewhere, looking for something, or taking a nap in our room. While at Fort Wilderness the atmosphere almost makes you take it a step slower, smile at people, stop by thier campsite while on your walk or bicycle ride, see what smells so good on the grill, find out about thier trip with the grandchildren, let them give you suggestions for a wonderful time with your family. It is a fantastic community of people from all over the country who have the same mindset as you....having the best time possible at Disney and enjoying the company of those who are doing the same. We have made some great friendships that we still correspond with today.

It's kinda hard to remember, but my parents bought a MH in 72 and I'm pretty sure we went to the Fort at least 3 times in it between 72-75. New years eve in 77. Then, I didn't go back until well into adulthood in 95 and stayed in the cabins with my GF I was trying to impress. Then once in a tent in May of 97 with the same girl (fiance, at that point). Horrible expeience!! It poured 3 out of the 4 days we were there and my fiance didn't have a hair iron back then. I married her anyway!! I also promised her we never do the tent thing again.
We went in 06 with my sisters TT and in 09 we bought our own TT and have been there 3 times since. And we'll be there in about 2 weeks from now WOOHOO!!!
I think that makes 10 times.

As one of the first resorts at WDW and growing up in the Tampa area I have been very blessed to have basically grown up at the Fort. Don't get me wrong I have also stayed at 90% of all Disney resorts owned and not owned by Disney, but I always come back to the fort. :) Their is just something about the Fort (besides the fact that it's the only resort there that allows your four-legged kids to stay with you).

I can proudly say that I have campled there over 100 times since first staying there as a toddler.'course working for the Mouse for 10 years and getting a great discount did make it easier as an adult to go several times a year too. :thumbsup2

As one of the first resorts at WDW and growing up in the Tampa area I have been very blessed to have basically grown up at the Fort. Don't get me wrong I have also stayed at 90% of all Disney resorts owned and not owned by Disney, but I always come back to the fort. :) Their is just something about the Fort (besides the fact that it's the only resort there that allows your four-legged kids to stay with you).

I can proudly say that I have campled there over 100 times since first staying there as a toddler.'course working for the Mouse for 10 years and getting a great discount did make it easier as an adult to go several times a year too. :thumbsup2

I had been waiting for someone who had been over 100 different trips! I think that is awesome. There are so few places I could imagine enjoying so much after that many trips. The Fort is of course one and Huntington Beach State Park near here is another.

Since 1985 when we first starting going to FW on an almost yearly basis I have kept track of the days spent and things like the restaurants we have eaten at (mainly to plan on where to eat for the next trip), the site we stayed in, and the the cost per site along with the cost of the passports. While we have only stayed a total of 18 times that has been for a total of 413 days with 10 stays of between 21 and 30 days and 7 for more than 30 days. Back in 1986 we paid $30.24 a nite for the site and back then we got the package which included tickets and meals and for 3 adults and one child was $830 for a 12 day stay. Every trip was either over the 4th, Xmas, or more recently Halloween/Thanksgiving. Starting in 1990 we started getting passports and that year for 4 adults it was $696. Our last passport in 2009 was $960 for 2 adults.

I also keep track of the costs for each trip to disney and would be embarassaed to post those numbers, but let's just say I could have bought a nice higher end BMW or Mercedes for what I've spend over the last 26 years. However, the memories created is worth 10X the $$$$ spent. I will say we have yet to exceed $10K for a trip, but we're starting to approach that number.

Larry

We only live about 80 miles north of the fort. We have a 35' coach and love the fort. Not cheap but we have a good time.

I had been waiting for someone who had been over 100 different trips! I think that is awesome. There are so few places I could imagine enjoying so much after that many trips. The Fort is of course one and Huntington Beach State Park near here is another.

I seriously can't believe I am the only one. I guess working for the mouse really paid off. <BG> I use to go several times a year to the Fort, now I go about once a year maybe two. I finally started branching out now that I don't get the discounts like I use too. I like Holiday Cove RV resort in Bradenton near the beach, of heck I like any full service resort and I am now trying to see more of them. That's if they can pull me away from my cruising. LOL!

I've camped at Fort Wilderness easily over 100 times. Started going in 1972 as a 12 year old with my family in our Starcraft pop-up. Would usually go a couple times a year during my teens with the family and on Boy Scout trips.

Didn't make very many visits during my College years in the late 70's and early 80's, but trips resumed in the mid 80's after getting married when DW and I would tent camp.

We had annual passes in the 90's when our children were little and would head over about 4 times a year and camp in our pop-up.

Now the kids are young adults and we make about 6 trips a year in our motorhome. Most of our trips now are centered around RunDisney events and and the last weekend of MVMCP.

We love the Fort and our dogs love the Fort. Except for MVMCP, we rarely venture into the parks now.

We've been lucky in that we've always lived less than 100 miles away and it's easy for us to get away for a weekend stay.

2 times at Cabin, we love staying at Fort Wilderness cabins.
We are staying 2 more times this year in the cabin July and Dec.
I can't wait as my daughter and I are bring all the grandchildren this time, only 59 more days. Woo Hoo.

I have tried to talk my husband into buying a camper, I would love any camper, even a pop-up but no go. He said he hates camping and the only camping he will do is at fort wilderness cabins.
So guess cabins will be the only place he will stay, so no tent, no pop-up and no RV.... darn...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter