Fresno CA - Disneyland Route & a little more

Anessa

Earning My Ears
Hi, it's me again. The newbie. With just a few more questions:

1) Mapquest? Are directions accurate? We live in Fresno (near the hwy 99) and I printed directions to Candy Cane Inn, which is where we will be staying.

2) Question for mom's : What would be better? Tote bag or back pack for snacks, bottled water, etc.

3) Downtown Disney: Is it mainly an area for adults?

Side Note: Have you seen that commercial where the family is preparing to go to DL and the dad is in bed with wife and he say's "He can't sleep" he's too excited?

I am too :cool1: 3 days to go before our family of 4 heads to DL for the first time!

Mapquest was accurate for us. We used it to print directions to DL from John Wayne Airport and also from Anaheim to San Diego. Worked great!

We used a backpack at DL and it was a lifesaver. It held smaller souvineers, both my wallet & dh's wallet, water bottles and sweaters (on the rare occasion the sun came out when we were there!) Plus we had our hands and arms free for the big packages, holding the kids and keeping the camera handy :teeth:

We did the first day we were there at Downtown Disney because we didn't want to waste one of our 3 day pass days. The kids enjoyed Build a Bear, the Lego store and of course the big huge Disney Store. We didn't make it down to Espn, but I heard a lot of kids love it in there!

Enjoy your first trip! We just got back from our first trip 2 wks ago and I am now addicted!!!! :yay:

Cant help on the directions.

Back pack might be easier, that way you have free hands to hold their hands. And, its easier on your body to have it on your back. You'll need to take it off for most rides.

DTD is mostly shopping and eating. There is a Build a bear for kids, and Club Libby Lu for little girls. There is usually live music playing through out the area.

I am not sure if the directions are right or not but being from the same area you are I can tell you the best way to come. Take the 99 south until it turns into the 5. Take the 5 all the way through the nightmare of every freeway in LA merging at one spot and then get in the carpool lane. Take that to Harbor Exit and from there the directions should be accurate.

I have always had a stroller so I would do a backpack over a tote. I have a two year old and a one year old so my hands need to be free and I can't stand worrying about if something is falling off my shoulder.

My kids had a good time in DTD. We went to the Build A Bear store and my daughter thought she was in heavan at Club Libby Lu. The Disney store is huge and the kids will want everything. We did dinners at the ESPN Zone and Rain Forest Cafe and both were kid friendly. They will enjoy for sure.

I prefer the backpack because (1) I can zip it so nothing falls out - or can be "lifted out." (2) It has lots of small pouches so it's easier to organize my little stuff like wallet, phone, fastpasses, snacks... (3) My hands are free for holding onto my little one or for taking photos (4) My husband will wear it because it's dark green and not "a girly color or pattern."

Have a great trip!

1. Agree with above poster- 99 to 5. (my DH's family lives in Porterville, so thats the way we go from there.)

2. Camelback! Fill the bladder with ice, pour water over that. There is still room for juiceboxes on top of the bladder in the bag, and its insulated so it can stay cold. Plus they have several small pockets for wallets, small snacks, fastpasses, etc. AND, you don't have to take it off and open everytime you need an drink, no backwash, and they come with the front buckles to evenly distribute weight over your torso.
AND its thin enough that you don't have to take it off on the majority of rides. (Note DH in below picture!)

3. LOTS for kids. I love going into Build-a-bear just to see...and always come out with an outfit. Plus there are fountains and artsy-stuffa ll over that my kids love to try and get into!'

Hve fun (I'm so so so jealous!!!)

Yep, I agree on the mapquest. We live just north of Fresno. 99 to 5 over the grapevine. Depending on your travel times traffic will not be great in LA. Just be prepared. Or plan an alternate route. The freeway transition at Disneyland is easy.

Backpack all the way. Save your back. And the poster who says hands free to help kids :thumbsup2 brilliant.

Don't normally do too much in DTD. Build a bear maybe. I like to spend more time in the parks!!

Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter