• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

French Market Restaurant

bunninose

Native So Cal Gal
Anyone have any opinions on this place they're willing to share? I'm curious as to what others think about it. I want all opinions, please - re: menu, atmosphere, CMs, everything.

Thanks in advance!!

Do you want to know about the French Market (counter service) or Cafe Orleans?

The French Market is walk up service. We ate there last Oct. The food was ok. The service was VERY slow. The contact with the cm's is very brief- they hand you a plate of food, and another takes your money. The fried chicken was pretty good. The kids really enjoyed their kids meals. They had a couple special Nightmare before Christmas themed foods at the time. The servings were very large. Oh, and the deed fried cheese cake is GOOD!

Cafe Orleans just had a remodel. It is now a sit down service place. I have not been there since the remodel.

You can find menus for both at http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html

I heard that by end of Sept, Disneyland park will be adding one more dining spot with reservations in New Orleans Sq. I am assuming it is the one with table service.

hlbtimes2 said:
Do you want to know about the French Market (counter service) or Cafe Orleans?
Yes I do mean the French Market - the buffeteria-style restaurant next to the New Orleans Square train station, next to the Haunted Mansion. Thanks for clarifying! I should have been more specific.

For that matter, regarding "menu", I should have said "food" - meaning quality, taste, etc.

Thanks again for all responses (so far and yet to come)!

I havent eaten there in a while because I dont think they have the Jambalaya anymore and thats the only reason I went...and Im :sad2: about that because that was the best jambalaya ever!!

Last time I ate there was in 2003. I was rather dissapointed...more so regarding outdoor cleanliness and I just felt for the money I spent on the three meals, I was sitting at a roadside diner. I just don't know :confused3 - I enjoyed Pizza port in Tomorrowland better than French Market. Who knows, I may give it another try when I go in couple of weeks but that was my memory of it.

I just ate there last week while i was on my honeymoon. I had the french dip and my husband had the fried chicken. the food is really good. good portions and if you buy the souvineer cups you get free refills all day at the market!! There was a nice jazz band that played good music. definately created an ambiance that was very relaxing. i really liked eating there. it was cheaper than cafe orleans and had great views of the rivers of america and the haunted mansion. when they band wasnt playing they played pirate music. all in all i give it a B+

shellncesar said:
and if you buy the souvineer cups you get free refills all day at the market!!

first of all congratulations on your marriage :bride: and you are soooooooo lucky to spend your honeymoon in DL :love: ...I envy you..secondly, I didnt know you could get the free refills all day there..I knew about the DLR doing that but not in the park itself...that is way cool :cool1: ...do you have to show them a receipt to prove you purchased the cup that day?

French Market is an every trip restaurant for us! I love love love the french dip there. Plus I just like the atmosphere eating outside, all the beautiful flowers and trees above you. When the band was playing, it was a lot of fun too. But the french dip is only available at lunch just so you know. DH likes the Fried Chicken there.

They have the standard mac n cheese (which I can't stand at DL!) and chicken nuggets there for kids. But we also love the mint julep bar! I don't find it that expensive ($9.00 for french dip and fries, and I can hardly finish the whole thing) and they give an AP discount too!

Andrea

disneegrl4eva said:
first of all congratulations on your marriage :bride: and you are soooooooo lucky to spend your honeymoon in DL :love: ...I envy you..secondly, I didnt know you could get the free refills all day there..I knew about the DLR doing that but not in the park itself...that is way cool :cool1: ...do you have to show them a receipt to prove you purchased the cup that day?

thanks for the congrats. we had a blast. i would keep the receipt just in case bu t the cast members when i was there were really nice about it.
:thumbsup2

I don't think I've ever eaten at either of these restaurants. But, they DO still have the jumbalaya at Disneyland! I just had it a few weeks ago. We have always gotten it at the very tiny counter right next to Pirates. There are just a handful of tables right in front of the counter, right underneath the second story balcony of the building. It's kind of hidden. The only things they have there, I believe, are the jumbalaya, desserts, and sodas.

I don't think I've ever eaten at either of these restaurants. But, they DO still have the jumbalaya at Disneyland! I just had it a few weeks ago. We have always gotten it at the very tiny counter right next to Pirates. There are just a handful of tables right in front of the counter, right underneath the second story balcony of the building. It's kind of hidden. The only things they have there, I believe, are the jumbalaya, desserts, and sodas. We LOVE the jumbalaya! Not sure if my memory serves, but I think there were three varieties....vegetable, steak, and shrimp? I know there were the vegetable and steak, as that's what DH and I had.

This is one of the slowest places to wait in line for the food. It used to have a good pasta with lingunin and chuncky marinara sauce. We went in July and the menue didn't have the pasta I used to like so my friend ordered a "French Dip" and I ordered a pulled pork sandwich. The "French Dip" was made of very mushy over cooked shredded beef on a roll with the juice on the side and some okay french fires. The pulled pork was even more over cooked and mushy but the flavor was okay. It was served with cole slaw on it as well which I like. Both of use refered to our sandwiches as canned dog food. I am pretty much easy with food almost anywhere. Disney sometimes blows it but I can hanlde some of the mediocre food. This was one of the worst I have had.

We just ate there on Saturday and the French dip was pretty good, but not worth the 40 minutes we stood in line waiting to get it! :confused3 Line wasn't even that long. The CM serving the French dips was very nice and seemed just as disgusted about the dis-organization as I was. After we got our food we had to stand next to a table and wait while the people finished eating so we could sit down. The band and the view was good, but lost on us after such a hassle in line. We will never eat here again.

You really have to go during an off time. We try not to eat at 12-1 and 4-6, we plan a later lunch and later dinner just for that reason. The line can be very very slow there, we have waited quite a while. But it's one of those places that brings back memories for me so I don't mind. And we even wait with six little kids, so not very fun! My rule is if the line is to the doorway, we skip it and eat there at a different time!

Andrea

French Market is a must do on every trip for us!! The line can be long, but it's mostly due to the limited number cashiers. We always go to the line on the right. That one has 2 cashiers while the line on the left only has 1.

I can attest to the jambalaya still being available. Just had it on Sunday Aug 6. It's not listed on the menu posted outside, but it is still there. I get this every time. I've tried the pasta with ham and seafood (I think it was called Riverfront Pasta) which was very good, but once I tried the jambalaya, I just can't get anything else.

My son has always loved getting the Mickey shaped chicken nuggets, but they don't have those anymore. Its chicken strips now, but he still liked them.

Most of our visits lately have been when a band was playing. I love the dixie and swing music they play, but it does get loud if you get a table right in front. My son just loves to be right up close. This last visit the band stopped and did a few trivia questions. I knew every question and finally got picked to answer one. I got a huge handful of mardi gras beads. That was fun. Even more fun was when Captain Jack threatened to "borrow without permission" my shiny pearls. :blush:

I agree that the wait is long, but the food is really good! What I really liked about the place was the location. While we were eating, I was able to go and check-in for the Fantasmic Buffet riverside and then return to finish dinner. :thumbsup2

got2travel said:
I can attest to the jambalaya still being available. Just had it on Sunday Aug 6. It's not listed on the menu posted outside, but it is still there. I get this every time. I've tried the pasta with ham and seafood (I think it was called Riverfront Pasta) which was very good, but once I tried the jambalaya, I just can't get anything else.

yippeeeee. :banana: ..thanks so much....I love that stuff...Im the same way about ordering anything but the Jambalaya when i go to FM..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter