French fries & coffee...not together though.

TikiGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

My first post - my hubby is making me ask...
We've been doing the Atkins thing for almost a year - nearly 100 lbs lost between the two of us.
With our first cruise approaching in 24 days, one thing we are looking forward to is EATING!

With that in mind, one of the things we have missed the most is french fries. Can anyone tell me where to get the best fries on the ship? I know it sounds weird but after dieting for so long, you really forget what starches are like.::MickeyMo

Also, we are both coffee hounds but we are always disappointed by the Nescafe stuff at the parks. How is the coffee on the ship?

Thanks for your input. I look forward to your responses.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

all of the snack shops have great fries! I never ordered them from room service!

Tikigirl, welcome to the DISboards!:wave:

First of all, congratulations on your tremendous weight loss!

You've come to the right cruise place if you're looking forward to the food.

As far as the best fries, Pluto's doghouse has them most of the day (11A-7P I think?). They're good. (Not as good as my favorite, McD's, but if you've done Atkins all this time, they'll probably taste wonderful! LOL!)

There was a thread on this board about a week or two ago that mentioned Nescafe was served onboard the ship too, but it's only at the coffee station on deck nine. Coffee in the dining rooms and at Topsiders is fresh-brewed. You can order it from room service too, free of charge!

I thought the fries were awesome at any of the desk resturants...Plutos and Pinoccios. I always grabbed them from my kids. Also, I am a coffee addict/snob and enjoyed the coffee on the ship. I only had it from the main dining resturants and of course room service.

I am not a coffee drinker, but one of my DIS friends on our February cruise really liked the coffee at the Cove Cafe. The cafe is located near the adult pool. She said the cafe is like a Starbucks.

Gayl

You don't say if you will be on the Wonder or the Magic. Just keep in mind that the Cove Cafe coffee bar is only on the Magic. On the wonder I believe they only serve the Nescafe stuff...but I'm not a coffee drinker so perhaps other DISers can give further info.

Also keep in mind that the coffees at the Cove Cafe have a fee as they are considered specialty coffees.

They also have lattes, caps, expressos and specialty tea flavors for a charge as well.

MJ

Thanks everyone for the feedback (& the nice welcome too!), I knew I came to the right place. :)

I just realized I forgot to say that we will be on the May 2nd Wonder. I'm SO excited I just can't stand it. It's so much fun to visit here and "hear" that same excitement in everyone's posts.

I also wanted to say a general "Thank YOU" to everyone for the incredible information contained on this board. I have been lurking for months and I have learned SO MUCH. I really feel like reading these boards has taken away that overwhelming trip planning feeling and turned it into excitement and fun.

Anyway, I know I'm venturing off topic....so thank you once again for the coffee & fries info. I could really go for some right now...even together. ::yes:: That would mean I would be on the boat already!

We were on the 7 day Western in January. We had been doing the Southbeach diet. We ate what we wanted and each of us gained only three pounds (for the food we put away, I thought that was great). We lost the weight immediately. BTW, when you do go for the fries after not having had them in so long, don't be surprised if they taste like cardboard. There are lots of low-card friendly foods available. Enjoy!

One more little tip. As an ex-Atkinser, I would suggest that you increase your carb count a couple of weeks before you go, or you may have some unwanted symptoms- cramping being amoung them- and I'm sure you don't want to feel that during your cruise!

TikiGirl, See you on the 5/2 Wonder!! We (two adults) are just as excited as you are! Congrats on the weight loss! I'll be starting when I get back from the cruise and I'll be looking for the couple eating the french fries!! You could always dunk them in the coffee instead of ketchup!! ;) ;) ;) lynn

TikiGirl,

We'll see you onboard as well. And since you are a 'Tiki' girl, my party will be doing the Polynesian the 3 days before the cruise as well.
The general consensus on the coffee seems to be fresh brewed everywhere except that one station on deck 9.
I'm a coffee person as well and look forward to a carafe on my verandah at elast one morning of the cruise.
I'm pretty picky about coffee. I'll post after teh vacation and give my honest opinion.
Oh why oh why can't Disney just do some cross marketing and get some Starbuck or Seattles Best onboard?

Originally posted by Eggleboo
TikiGirl, See you on the 5/2 Wonder!! We (two adults) are just as excited as you are! Congrats on the weight loss! I'll be starting when I get back from the cruise and I'll be looking for the couple eating the french fries!! You could always dunk them in the coffee instead of ketchup!! ;) ;) ;) lynn

We are two adults cruising w/o kids also although we always manage to turn into big kids as soon as we hit Disney property of any kind.

Yep, we've worked hard on the weight loss but still have some to go. It will be a good celebratory binge. Thx to mickey minder & karebear1's suggestions about increasing the carb count prior to the cruise. I do think that will help.

And it's french fries with ranch dressing that is best for us - not sure how the coffee dunking would taste but if I have enough Konk Kooler's I just might be up for it. :)

felix ~ Boy am I jealous of your Poly stay. We haven't been able to find a rate there that we have been comfortable with yet. I dream about staying there one day. We'll be starting out at the AKL but we will be at the Poly Luau on 5/1 for our anniversary celebration.
Perhaps we'll see you on board! :wave2:

TikiGirl, if you're gonna dunk those fries in Ranch dressing, you need to at least cover them in melted cheese and bacon bits first!!!!!::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter