French Fries at BOG for kids

Yes X2

TheRustyScupper said:
1) I do not remember French fries.
2) BoG has a different type of kids menu.
3) They do not cater so much to the picky eaters.
4) Guests are supposed to experience different things and tastes.
5) The BoG accomplishes this.

JimmyV said:
BoG is a themed restaurant. Think about the song that Lumiere sings in the movie. The dining experience is supposed to be elegant and special, with the kitchen preparing the best of the best. Now, of course WDW had to tone it down quite a bit so as not to plop Victoria & Albert's smack in the middle of the MK. But they are only willing to go so far. If BoG started serving hot dogs, pizza slices and French fries, do you think Lumiere would be singing proudly about his provincial French kitchen? It would ruin the theming. So to Disney's way of thinking, if people want pedestrian fare, they have 115 or so other places to get it. You go to BoG when you want to step up. There is little interest in making BoG just another run-of- the-mill fast food venue, so substitutions are not made easily if at all for less than dietary health reasons. They have sweet potato wedges for kids. If that is too "special", then Disney expects that folks will find their favorites at other CS locations. Hasn't seemed to hurt business so far.

I suppose this was on the dining plan? Otherwise I cannot imagine them refusing to sell you a side of fries...

we were on the DxDDP. She did not offer to SELL us fries, she simply kept reiterating that he couldn't have them. Like LITERALLY. Every other restaurant at Disney has been happy to sub out fries if they had them in the place, for some reason this one would not. I really don't care if it was just a mental malfunction of that waitress or if it's their policy. But for what is paid for the deluxe dining plan, I expect my kid to get something he will EAT. Especially when I talked to them prior and asked if substitutions could be made, I wasn't specific enough, apparently.

The pasta for kids was disgusting. My daughter likes spaghetti and agreed to try it and it was GROSS. She got the sauce on the side, and some shredded cheese in a bowl, all of it was cold, and I tasted the whole wheat pasta myself and it was gummy and old. Perhaps if that is all a child is given from birth, they will be happy with it, but anyone I know would not eat that. . . .I left there -angry-. I am still angry about it. Even the letter and subsequent apology has not mitigated my anger about it. It was my birthday and it was ruined by that woman at the most anticipated reservation we had for our ten days.

perhaps it's just my own training as to why I am so angry. I work at a four star resort and you never tell someone no without offering an alternative. If you don't know the alternatives, you get someone who does.

. . . we were on the DxDDP. She did not offer to SELL us fries, she simply kept reiterating that he couldn't have them . . . I expect my kid to get something he will EAT . . .

1) DDP or DxDP does not guarantee something he likes.
2) When you inquired, the CM did answer properly.
3) He did get alternatives.
4) Not WDW or BoG fault he didn't like the items or alternatives.
5) Sorry you were disappointed and angry.

The pasta for kids was disgusting. My daughter likes spaghetti and agreed to try it and it was GROSS. She got the sauce on the side, and some shredded cheese in a bowl, all of it was cold, and I tasted the whole wheat pasta myself and it was gummy and old. Perhaps if that is all a child is given from birth, they will be happy with it, but anyone I know would not eat that. . . .I left there -angry-. I am still angry about it. Even the letter and subsequent apology has not mitigated my anger about it. It was my birthday and it was ruined by that woman at the most anticipated reservation we had for our ten days.

Why didn't you ask to speak to the manager?

Side-stepping the french fry issue, why would you assume that they were serving the kid's pasta cold *on purpose*? Why would you go away thinking that's how it's supposed to be?

That's what DS will likely be having, and I certainly don't expect it to be served cold. If it is, I'll talk to the server. If they can't make it correct, I'll go to the manager. It's just what you do if you're getting lousy service.

There's something I don't understand.

I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but, some folks want their kids to have the best of everything. They cater to their kids in everything they do in their everyday lives.

Why would a parent like this take their child to a restaurant knowing there is nothing on the menu, or nothing on the menu served in the combinations they'd like?

And then get angry at the restaurant?

There's something I don't understand. . . . I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but, some folks want their kids to have the best of everything. They cater to their kids in everything they do in their everyday lives . . . Why would a parent like this take their child to a restaurant knowing there is nothing on the menu, or nothing on the menu served in the combinations they'd like? . . . And then get angry at the restaurant?

Nicely stated.

We were there in April and had no problems with our kids getting fries. :confused3 They were the big steak fries, but my kids are fine with those. :thumbsup2

I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but, some folks want their kids to have the best of everything. They cater to their kids in everything they do in their everyday lives.

Why would a parent like this take their child to a restaurant knowing there is nothing on the menu, or nothing on the menu served in the combinations they'd like?

Agreed. I always research the restaurants before making reservations. BOG has nothing my kids would eat so we will not be eating there anytime soon. Restaurants even change the menu so I look every year and hope it doesn't change before I get there. Have been to Rose and Crown a couple times and was going to again this trip but the kids menu change so we aren't going. I wouldn't go to a restaurant with a menu I didn't like so I make sure there is something they would eat. After all it is their vacation too.

THIS!

It isn't just with kids or at Disney restaurants that this happens...happened to us recently with my MIL. Offered to take her wherever she wanted for Mother's Day. Anywhere...her call, sky's the limit. She chose East Side Mario's, a chain Italian place...and proceeded to need/demand substitutions for EVERY part of the meal. Didn't like the dressing on the salad, got mad when they didn't have anything other than Italian. Didn't want sauce on the chicken parm, had to have potatoes instead of spaghetti as the side, didn't like the potatoes since they were wedge fries rather than the roasted chunks of potato she prefers, and on and on. We gave up by dessert. I felt like shaking her and asking, why did you pick the place if you don't like anything on the menu? However, DH never would have heard the end of it, so I kept my mouth shut... :grin:

BOG has fries at lunch, for sure. They are just your run on the mill Disney fries. I had them with my sandwich last time I ate there. I believe I saw truffle fries on the menu for dinner...not sure if your kid will eat those as they do taste a bit different.

we were on the DxDDP. She did not offer to SELL us fries, she simply kept reiterating that he couldn't have them. Like LITERALLY. Every other restaurant at Disney has been happy to sub out fries if they had them in the place, for some reason this one would not. I really don't care if it was just a mental malfunction of that waitress or if it's their policy. But for what is paid for the deluxe dining plan, I expect my kid to get something he will EAT. Especially when I talked to them prior and asked if substitutions could be made, I wasn't specific enough, apparently.

perhaps it's just my own training as to why I am so angry. I work at a four star resort and you never tell someone no without offering an alternative. If you don't know the alternatives, you get someone who does.

This is very strange. They serve truffle fries for dinner. Not sure why you couldn't have just ordered them on the side. You probably would have had to pay additional cost for them. Not sure why the waitress didn't just offer that.

. . . why did you pick the place if you don't like anything on the menu? . . .

1) In the same vein . .
2) We have major interest in two eateries
. . . a breakfast-and-lunch-only blue-plate-special-diner
. . . a dinner-only fine dining eatery
3) The chef at the dinner eatery is finicky
. . . on the menu many dinners specify "No Substitutions"
. . . he allows subs only for the ala carte menu items
. . . and since they are ala carte, they really are not substitutions
. . . and, WE STICK WITH IT
4) The chef believes
. . . he has a great education
. . . he has excellent work experience
. . . he builds meals with items that compliment each other in taste/texture
. . . he won't diminish a dining experience by lessening the accompaniments
5) Yes, some people are upset.
6) But, these conditions are well posted on the sample menu at the podium.
7) Surprisingly, many leave thanking us for no subs.
. . . they are pleased with the new tastes
. . . they see how each component can make the meal more than its parts

1) DDP or DxDP does not guarantee something he likes.
2) When you inquired, the CM did answer properly.
3) He did get alternatives.
4) Not WDW or BoG fault he didn't like the items or alternatives.
5) Sorry you were disappointed and angry.

Hmmm. the customer service rep who called me said otherwise and
agreed with me. The letter I sent was very long and except this
incident, everything on it was positive and praise, I am not just being
a *****.

No, she didn't give alternatives. saying 'he can't have them' is
not giving an alternative. If she would have said 'but you can BUY
some fries off the adult menu' I would have. So what alternative did she
give? Eat the kid menu or starve? I had already read the kids menu when I made the RESERVATION and called them and was told it could be done
if it was something they had in house, although I didn't specify fries.
When we went to one place, they didn't even -have- them, and the waiter there went to the place next door and got them for my son because he understood. I didn't expect that kind of treatment, but when they already have them in house and every other restaurant lets kids have them, even if I have to pay for them, yeah, I expect to be able to get them.

I didn't fault WDW, I DO fault the waitress, who was apparently new I found out later and not very well informed about policy. and I DO fault her management for her not being well trained. That rep talked to me for over an hour about various parts of our trip, it wasn't 'I'm just agreeing with you to be nice'.

and you're not sorry, you're being condescending, which is unappreciated. I had done what I thought was adequate research. I suppose I could have started a major scene in the middle of dinner, but I didn't. I waited and wrote it in the long letter I sent. Which is why I won't go back. This thread asked about fries at BoG for kids and we were told they couldn't have them.
I relayed my experience.

and bob, go back and read again. I said in one of my posts I had already called and asked if a substitution could be made, I do it at every restaurant we book that has a kids menu that my son won't eat off of, but that has them on the menu somewhere. they DO have fries, but that night, the waitress would NOT let my son have them and said he couldn't. If they had said 'sorry we will not sub out fries for any children' I wouldn't have booked it. If they had said 'no we won't substitute but you can purchase them for additional charge, I would have done that. Because I explained to them he has autism and the most likely thing he will eat is fries, sad but true. It's not a difficult thing and the person told me it would probably be no problem. I guess it's my bad for not getting that person's name that I spoke to and make a huge ruckus at dinner since I'm being villified for asking for fries for a kid when they already sell them at the restaurant.

a *****.

give? Eat the kid menu or starve? I had already read the kids menu when I made the RESERVATION and called them and was told it could be done
When we went to one place, they didn't even -have- them, and the waiter there went to the place next door and got them for my son because he understood. I didn't expect that kind of treatment, but when they already have them in house and every other restaurant lets kids have them, even if I have to pay for them, yeah, I expect to be able to get them.

I didn't fault WDW, I DO fault the waitress, who was apparently new I found out later and not very well informed about policy. and I DO fault her management for her not being well trained. That rep talked to me for over an hour about various parts of our trip, it wasn't 'I'm just agreeing with you to be nice'.

and you're not sorry, you're being condescending, which is unappreciated. I had done what I thought was adequate research. I suppose I could have started a major scene in the middle of dinner, but I didn't. I waited and wrote it in the long letter I sent. Which is why I won't go back. This thread asked about fries at BoG for kids and we were told they couldn't have them.
I relayed my experience.

and bob, go back and read again. I said in one of my posts I had already called and asked if a substitution could be made, I do it at every restaurant we book that has a kids menu that my son won't eat off of, but that has them on the menu somewhere. they DO have fries, but that night, the waitress would NOT let my son have them and said he couldn't. If they had said 'sorry we will not sub out fries for any children' I wouldn't have booked it. If they had said 'no we won't substitute but you can purchase them for additional charge, I would have done that. Because I explained to them he has autism and the most likely thing he will eat is fries, sad but true. It's not a difficult thing and the person told me it would probably be no problem. I guess it's my bad for not getting that person's name that I spoke to and make a huge ruckus at dinner since I'm being villified for asking for fries for a kid when they already sell them at the restaurant.

Wow - you still are angry.

I think the whole point here is that while you may not have wanted to "make a huge ruckus at dinner", you could have just quietly asked for a manager or, gone to the podium if you didn't want to do this in front of your son and asked there. It could have been handled at the restaurant at the time of the event. Not with a letter later. Then you and your son both could have been happy and the evening wouldn't have been ruined.

There's a local restaurant we go to where we've been put into the "ignore" table. First time there, we were ignored for well over ten minutes. No service at all - not even for a drink order. I got off the chair, walked to the front, talked to the seater and was helped immediately. Second time, told the seater this was the "ignore" table and was helped immediately by the manager. Third time, refused to sit at the "ignore" table.

Speak up when it happens and don't let it happen again.

a *****.

I relayed my experience.

Geez I'm sorry this experience soured you so much, genuinely, not trying to condescend here. We have also done the dxdp, and the regular dining plan plenty of times. I'm sorry that waitress didn't offer you a workable solution. I personally don't need someone to offer me to pay for a side of fries, if they told me I couldn't have it within the dxdp I would just say ok I'll pay for a side of fries. I get that the dxdp is a considerable cost, but it is a plan that has regulations and parameters and sometimes they won't accommodate you, as inconvenient as that may be. You are always welcome to not purchase the plan, or to buy whatever extras you like and pay for them.

That's a rotten policy for many people, me included. I would walk out the instant I saw that notice. Hopefully I would see that notice.

There is no chef that has my tastebuds or intensely sensitive sense of smell, and they don't get to decide 100% for me what I'm PAYING them to make.

I'm sorry that waitress didn't offer you a workable solution. I personally don't need someone to offer me to pay for a side of fries, if they told me I couldn't have it within the dxdp I would just say ok I'll pay for a side of fries.

But she said they said "he can't have them".

that's not even referencing the dining plan, just that he can't have them.

Maybe because any given child is not the only one eating in a family? We've often fed DS something from somewhere else (or if he's not hungry then, we'll feed him later) and go to a restaurant where he doesn't want anything. Do it at home, too. He was seriously in the mood for pizza tonight and I most definitely wasn't, but I got the pizza (hubby's traveling and that always puts us into a funk), then made my food. No big deal! Not everyone wants the same sorts of food all the time.

And since disney is so very well known for being flexible and easy and wonderful for people with different dining needs, it's a shock when suddenly you get someone being a gatekeeper for something not being possible.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) In the same vein . .
2) We have major interest in two eateries
. . . a breakfast-and-lunch-only blue-plate-special-diner
. . . a dinner-only fine dining eatery
4) The chef believes
. . . he has a great education
. . . he has excellent work experience
. . . he builds meals with items that compliment each other in taste/texture
. . . he won't diminish a dining experience by lessening the accompaniments
5) Yes, some people are upset.
6) But, these conditions are well posted on the sample menu at the podium.
7) Surprisingly, many leave thanking us for no subs.
. . . they are pleased with the new tastes
. . . they see how each component can make the meal more than its parts

Are these WDW restaurants?
What are the actual restaurant names?

Maybe because any given child is not the only one eating in a family? We've often fed DS something from somewhere else (or if he's not hungry then, we'll feed him later) and go to a restaurant where he doesn't want anything. Do it at home, too. He was seriously in the mood for pizza tonight and I most definitely wasn't, but I got the pizza (hubby's traveling and that always puts us into a funk), then made my food. No big deal! Not everyone wants the same sorts of food all the time.

Yes, you get exactly what I'm saying.

You prepare YOURSELF and your family for whatever accommodations you need.

You don't go into a restaurant and expect THEM to do it.

"But she said they said "he can't have them".

that's not even referencing the dining plan, just that he can't have them."

And I would say, "ok so you're telling me I can't order a side of fries and pay for them?"

This thread is a year old, but wondering if fries are available during dinner in kids meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter