• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

French Braids, not the Tight-n-Tiny Braids?

sweetpee_1993

DIS Veteran
I was just looking at the recent hair braids thread and wondered if these ladies can do just normal French braids as well? Or would having just 2 french braids for a full head of hair be something you'd need to go to the salon for? I'm not looking for those corn-row lookin' tight mini braids. I would never do those. I have a full head of long hair (comes midway down my back) and would love just a single or double more loose French braid. I may be good to go on the Fantasy this May since my nieces are sailing with us. My 16 year old niece has danced her whole life so she's a whiz with the braids. But, for future reference and maybe so I don't bug her to death about braiding my hair all the time I was wondering if anyone had ever asked the braid ladies on-deck about non-mini-braiding.

Thanks! :goodvibes

I was just looking at the recent hair braids thread and wondered if these ladies can do just normal French braids as well? Or would having just 2 french braids for a full head of hair be something you'd need to go to the salon for? I'm not looking for those corn-row lookin' tight mini braids. I would never do those. I have a full head of long hair (comes midway down my back) and would love just a single or double more loose French braid. I may be good to go on the Fantasy this May since my nieces are sailing with us. My 16 year old niece has danced her whole life so she's a whiz with the braids. But, for future reference and maybe so I don't bug her to death about braiding my hair all the time I was wondering if anyone had ever asked the braid ladies on-deck about non-mini-braiding.

I don't have any specific experience that says that they can do a French braid but I know that they definitely do "Disney" customer service and within that service I bet that they can help you.

My 18 month old and I kept walking by the station throughout our cruise and I thought to myself that it would be so much fun if I could get her hair braided but said nothing to her. But then, on the third day, She said she wanted her hair braided. I told her we could wait and find out about it since there were two customers ahead of us. I honestly thought she would move on within minutes of 'waiting'. But no, she waited very patiently, sitting attentively the whole time until it was our 'turn'. The wonderful CM said she could possibly put two or three braids in but that she imagined that is all my daughter would sit for. I agreed. Again, my 18 month old sat very still to my amazement as the braids were put in. Because she put so little in, the CM did not charge us.

This turned out to be the best hair style for the whole trip because it kept her hair out of her face!

So, I think the best advice is 'go ask'. They want you happy and I would imagine that they have the skill and would work with you.

Guess I'm just fortunate. I learned how to do french braids myself and on myself. Considering my hair is down to my butt, it's a good thing. Believe it or not though, in the ocean, even when it's braided, it's a NIGHTMARE to take the braids out. You would think it would keep it from tangling, but nope. I have since learned that mermaid hair is hard work. I always braid a strand of green pearls into a small french braid going down either face frame, and then pull all the rest to one side and braid the remaining beads into it (which you can see in my sea lion photos.) I get a lot of complements on it, but it's tough to get out after a day at the ocean.

A french braid isn't any different then a normal braid. However, every time you weave it, the next time, you grab more to add to it. The hand holding and how to keep hold of everything is what takes practice.

I'm sure if they can do corn rolls *very very mini french braids* they could probably do two pigtails or whatever you wanted.

Do not expect it to stay long though. The corn rolls are great, like the pp said, because you can wash right with them and it's super easy convenience the entire time, but it's not the look everyone wants, and its PAINFUL. They do last at least a week. Larger french braids won't, as they will fray out from the scalp. Why not give it a few practice tries?

Yes, they will. I've had my hair french braided on each cruise we've been on. I want to say that they only charged me for one braid (which I think was like $2) so we ended up giving her a big tip. :)

Wish I could have been so lucky. My 2 year old had wanted 2 french braids done. We asked the hair braid station next to the pool on the Dream and they refused. =(

Guess I'm just fortunate. I learned how to do french braids myself and on myself. Considering my hair is down to my butt, it's a good thing. Believe it or not though, in the ocean, even when it's braided, it's a NIGHTMARE to take the braids out. You would think it would keep it from tangling, but nope. I have since learned that mermaid hair is hard work. I always braid a strand of green pearls into a small french braid going down either face frame, and then pull all the rest to one side and braid the remaining beads into it (which you can see in my sea lion photos.) I get a lot of complements on it, but it's tough to get out after a day at the ocean.

A french braid isn't any different then a normal braid. However, every time you weave it, the next time, you grab more to add to it. The hand holding and how to keep hold of everything is what takes practice.

I'm sure if they can do corn rolls *very very mini french braids* they could probably do two pigtails or whatever you wanted.

Do not expect it to stay long though. The corn rolls are great, like the pp said, because you can wash right with them and it's super easy convenience the entire time, but it's not the look everyone wants, and its PAINFUL. They do last at least a week. Larger french braids won't, as they will fray out from the scalp. Why not give it a few practice tries?
Corn rows. :)

Sayhello

There are lots of videos on youtube about how to braid your own hair. If that's something your interested in, anyway! I have learned a ton of cool stuff that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter