Freezer in unheated garage?

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a freezer in their unheated, unairconditioned garage in a Pennsylvania climate?
Is this possible?

We have one in Ohio. The box freezer works fine in the heat and cold. We also had an extra refrigerator out there but found that it didn't work in the cold and had to bring it inside.

Not Pennsylvania but Michigan. No problems on my end. Parents and grandparents have for years. I have had one for 5 or 6 (plus a refrigerator). Depending on how hot/cold it is you might have to turn up/down the temp for the unit itself.

We had one forever on our porch in mid-Michigan where sometimes, I'm sure, the freezer was warmer than our outdoor winter temps!! :rotfl:

One thing about a porch refrigerator, my aunt has an old one on her back porch. When we had a cold spell a couple months ago, she had a pop/soda explosion.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

We have one in our nj garage that's meant for a garage. It's a gladiator.

Really? Off to Google.

Growing up my parents had a HUGE deep freezer in the garage with no issues. Still was working when we sold it 20yrs+ later.

It was one of the chest freezers that would fit a side of beef plus. Don't fall in lol.

We do... against a house wall, so slightly insulated, but definitely in the cold garage. Never thought anything of it until this post. Most summers I try to combine it with our chest freezer in the basement and unplug the garage one (because it's HOT in the garage). Has been working fine for 6 years (upright freezer, not a chest one).

I have a freezer in an unheated apartment.
No issues yet

I have a freezer in my unheated garage and I live in Ontario Canada. It's been there for three years no problem now though winter and summers.

Yes. We live in PA and have an upright freezer in our unheated/unairconditioned garage and have never had any problems.

We kept our freezer in the garage in upstate NY for years. Then in the basement in NH, and now in the garage in NC. We never had an issue, except as some have said, some days, the interior of the freezer was probably warmer than the outside air. In NY, we were just outside Adirondack State Park, so we could count on a week of -20 degrees for the low (and +10 for the high--gosh, I miss that! Not!)

We do, but a word of caution. My kids bought one, and in the manual, the fine print said something to the affect not to be used in spaces under 45 degrees or something like that. They did, and it voided the warranty when the unit didn't work after the winter.

Does anyone have a freezer in their unheated, unairconditioned garage in a Pennsylvania climate?
Is this possible?
People do it all the time, not sure how it impacts the life of the freezer. I would suspect unheated would make it's job easier in the winter, and un air conditioned would make it's job harder in the summer

In our garage (now) we have a dorm fridge and a microwave. Granted it is a 3 car and we do have a heater going in the garage, lol. But the fridge works fine.

in NY here, brother has a fridge in his unheated garage, we had a freezer for years in our unheated garage. All worked fine

We're in central BC, Canada and my mom used to always have her freezer outside in an unheated/unairconditioned shed with no issues. Not sure what your weather is like but ours can range from -35 Celsius in the winter to +25 or 30 Celsius in summer, just for comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter