Freeway Driving Blues

These lanes are designated for vehicles with a minimun number of people. In California, it usually requires only 2 people, though I have seen some that require 3. There will be signs telling you if that is the case. They are on the far left, the inside lane next to the divider. You can only enter and exit the carpool lanes where there is a break in the double lines that normally seperate it from the rest of the traffic lanes. Don'e worry they are well marked so you won't miss your exit. These breaks come up every 1 to 3 exits on average. There are some freeway exits just for the carpool lane. There is one on the southbound I5 for Disneyland Drive. It takes you directly to the parking structure for Disneyland

While the carpool lanes are very convienient, they are not common throughout our highways here. They are also not restrictive to only non-truck vehicles. Motorcycles, commercial trucks are allowed to use them, so you might see delivery vehicles in those lanes. It is also very inconsistent whether or not there is an exit ramp from the carpool lanes. Sometimes you are re-entering the other lanes and moving to your right to get to the exit.

Just finished 7 days ( LAX, HOLLYWOOD, ANAHEIM,LONG BEACH, PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY, SAN DIEGO FREEWAY, 710 FREEWAY, ETC, ETC).
Conjestion was abundent ( during weekend & rush hour) but with a good TRIPLE AAA foldout map we had no trouble. Well marked signs and the willingness to travel the traffic flow speed ( 70 - 80 MPH) helps.
Rent a car and with 2 people use the HOV lanes.

Pir8girl said:
I too was raised in So. Cal. and when I come back for a visit I always try and use the car pool lane if possible. I took me 12 minutes to get from Newport Beach to Disneyland using the lane! Of course I couldn't figure out how to get to the DLH once I got off the freeway since I hadn't been to DL since DCA!

Yeah, the first time we went after all that I was totally turned around. And Disneyland avenue, what the heck was that? I almost missed the exit because I was looking for Harbor Ln! My free parking trick will not work anymore now that they changed everything... darn them.

Talking about parking DO NOT try to park for 'free' in the Downtown Disney lot unless you really are going to eat dinner in Downtown Disney or be there less than 2 hours. Just buying stuff will not extend the free parking and they will charge you an arm and a leg if you go over the two hours.... trust me... $72 lesson learned.

got2gp said:
There are some freeway exits just for the carpool lane. There is one on the southbound I5 for Disneyland Drive. It takes you directly to the parking structure for Disneyland

Does this exit only go to the parking structure or can you take it to Harbor Blvd? Is there a seperate one for Harbor? Since we're coming from LAX, we'll be heading southbound and need to know. Thanks.

Just got back and found the freeways were fine, easy to drive on, well sign posted, had no problems at all, there was some congestion but it keeps moving and we didn't even have to use the car pool lanes even in 'rush hour' :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter