Freedom or Oasis??

flinkerfrosch

DIS Veteran
I need your help, please!

My family has done many Disney Cruises, but never tried a different cruise line.
Next March we've decided to try RCL. We are torn between the Freedom of the Seas, and the Oasis.
We're either going to do a B2B on the Freedom or a B2B on the Oasis.
The Freedom would be 14 nights and the Oasis would total 16 nights. It's a bit more $$ for the Oasis, but not that much more.

Seeing we've never tried any of their ships before, I could really use your advice, expertise, and help with what ship you think would be better and why?

It would be myself with my 2 boys ages 8 and 6 and my friend with her 2 girls ages 3 (almost 4) and 8.

Thanks a bunch:)

I have been on the sister ship to Freedom. It is a good "bigger" but not mega ship. I have been on a number of RCCL cruises when my kids were 5-9. The kids clubs were excellent, in fact, my 9 yr olds liked RCCL better than DCL kids club. For 2 weeks, I would go on Oasis, as there are more things to do and more places to eat. One week was plenty of time to do everything (and the ice show 2X) on the Freedom class ship. Usually Oasis is a lot more than Freedom class. Also, FYI, there are cabins on both that sleep 6, in case you want to share a cabin--the price might be significantly less. Girls could be on the pull out sofa and boys could have the bunk bed alcove.

DW & I did our anniversary (and first) cruise on Oasis in 2013. The next year we took the family on Freedom. Between the two is a toss up. Obviously Oasis is bigger, has an extra flowrider, a zipline, and a broadway show (Cats).

I'm not sure where you're traveling from, but have you considered doing Oasis then Freedom? Disembark from Oasis, rent a car, drive up to PC, enjoy the beach/do laundry, then embark on Freedom the next day? I'd love to do that if I could make sure one cruise was Eastern and one Western Caribbean.

DW & I did our anniversary (and first) cruise on Oasis in 2013. The next year we took the family on Freedom. Between the two is a toss up. Obviously Oasis is bigger, has an extra flowrider, a zipline, and a broadway show (Cats).

I'm not sure where you're traveling from, but have you considered doing Oasis then Freedom? Disembark from Oasis, rent a car, drive up to PC, enjoy the beach/do laundry, then embark on Freedom the next day? I'd love to do that if I could make sure one cruise was Eastern and one Western Caribbean.
Good Advice

I personally didn't like Cats, so that would never be my dealbreaker between the two. I liked the ice show on Freedom a little more. Freedom has better, larger pool areas if that's important to you. Oasis has more choices of things to do.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but I do like this idea! I could happily spend two weeks on either ship. :)

I have been on the sister ship to Freedom. It is a good "bigger" but not mega ship. I have been on a number of RCCL cruises when my kids were 5-9. The kids clubs were excellent, in fact, my 9 yr olds liked RCCL better than DCL kids club. For 2 weeks, I would go on Oasis, as there are more things to do and more places to eat. One week was plenty of time to do everything (and the ice show 2X) on the Freedom class ship. Usually Oasis is a lot more than Freedom class. Also, FYI, there are cabins on both that sleep 6, in case you want to share a cabin--the price might be significantly less. Girls could be on the pull out sofa and boys could have the bunk bed alcove.

Thank you very much for your info!!
It's great to get other people's experiences!

That's an awesome idea!!! We're travelling from Canada (Toronto area) but renting a car and doing another ship the next day would certainly be fun! Since we have to fly and are in Florida already, it doesn't take much to rent a car to get to PC.
I'm going to look into this, thanks again!! :)

I personally didn't like Cats, so that would never be my dealbreaker between the two. I liked the ice show on Freedom a little more. Freedom has better, larger pool areas if that's important to you. Oasis has more choices of things to do.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but I do like this idea! I could happily spend two weeks on either ship. :)

Pools are very important and my kids love to swim!! What's the difference between the pool areas on the 2 ships?
I know we would enjoy the ice skating shows more vs Cats. Does the Oasis not have Ice skating shows?
Does the Oasis have the Dreamworks characters or is it just the Freedom class ships?
Also, does both the Freedom and the Oasis have a sail away party?

Pools are very important and my kids love to swim!! What's the difference between the pool areas on the 2 ships?
I know we would enjoy the ice skating shows more vs Cats. Does the Oasis not have Ice skating shows?
Does the Oasis have the Dreamworks characters or is it just the Freedom class ships?
Also, does both the Freedom and the Oasis have a sail away party?
Well, the Oasis class pool area is split in two, because of Central Park. There are four main pools, and then the adult only pool on Oasis. One of those pools is in H20 zone, which is for kids only. Freedom class doesn't have a split pool deck so the pools are a lot bigger. They also have an H20 zone. Both H20 zones have a "lazy river" for kids, which actually looks pretty fun. I will say that both ships have much better pools than Disney.

Oasis has an ice skating show too, I just liked the one on Freedom more.

Oasis and Freedom both have Dreamworks characters.

I don't remember if Freedom had a sail away party... I know I didn't go to one, but one of the people in our party wasn't feeling great. Oasis has a cute Dreamworks sail away party, but it was raining when they ACTUALLY sailed away, so it was done as we sailed away from Labadee.

See, I liked the ice show on Oasis better than Freedom. :laughing:

For sailaway on Freedom, we went to the helipad (extreme front of the ship). On Oasis, we went to the "secret" deck forward on Deck 14. I think they both have a sail away party, we just didn't attend.

I did Freedom in May 2012 and Oasis in September 2015. Really like them both and there are many similarities like some eateries, Dreamworks characters and parade, shows, ice show....

Freedom we had Promenade cabins so we had big bay window with window seat overlooking Promenade. Just my DD and I so it was perfect.
Oasis we had Ocean Balcony on the hump so much bigger balcony. Was DH, DS and I = LOVED IT!

I felt like Freedom was a great ship and without any other RCI to compare it to, a great cruise. The one thing we were very aware of was the lack of outside space. The pool decks were crowded and we found ourselves avoiding them.

Oasis has amazing outdoor space with Central Park, the Boardwalk, uncrowded pool decks - even the kids' pool area didn't feel tight, felt like more and bigger pools, and if you are doing kid's clubs a very nice adults only space with pool/hot tub/bar/dining. The Freedom adult area was small and not really apart from the rest so full of kids. We loved just wandering around and seeing the sky from so many places.

- LOVED the ice show on Oasis this time, so much better than Freedom which was kind of storyless.
- Oasis also has the Aqua Show and a comedy Aqua Show the kids would like.
- Both have a cirque like show but Oasis was better (the crew that works this and Aqua are some top athletes).
- Freedom musical was fairytale story when we went and very enjoyable.
- Oasis has Cats. While I get most don't like and only 3 of our 7 went, we enjoyed it. Cruise ships should have upbeat musicals and not a great choice style wise but make no mistake it would hold it's own on Broadway. Some of the best dancing I have ever seen, even on Broadway, beautiful voices. Key is not to try and make it a story but rather lots of different cats telling their own story. Intermission DS got on stage to have his picture taken with Deutoronomy.
- Oasis parade structure was so much better and we had great spot by Rising Tide Bar which ended up the main spot and top crew even Captain came down on the bar and were dancing.
- Both ships had OUTSTANDING service and servers in main dining room and dinners were a highlight of our trip.
- Both ships had OUTSTANDING room stewards who spoiled us.
- Staff throughout ships were both good but we truly loved our Oasis crew. Such a big ship and so many places learned our names. Spoke volumes.
- The number of dining options on Oasis def outshine. The Park Cafe was yummy, main dining breakfast so good, amazing cookies and snacks throughout the day.
- Only specialty we did was Chops and no words, best steak ever eaten.
- DS has special needs and everyone on Oasis went over and above when they could have easily ignored him.
- Oasis we did the secret 14 deck for sail away and it was perfect - not crowded! I even watched us sail away on the live broadcast via my phone and saw us go by!

For a B2B I would absolutely go with Oasis since there is so much more to do, more space, more dining options, less crowded, more outdoor space, boardwalk with carousel more exploring....

Last edited:
Echo pretty much everyone- Freedom and Oasis are the two ships we have been on. I LOVE Park Cafe though!

We prefer the Freedom to the Oasis. Oasis is just a bit too large for us. Just a FYI, Freedom and Oasis will be switching ports next fall, with Oasis coming to PC and doing a standard 7-night eastern/western rotation, and Freedom moving down to FLL. Freedom's routes will also change from 7-night eastern and western to a mix of 6 and 8 night itineraries.

Thank you to everyone that has replied! I really appreciate all your helpful information:)

Since I last posted, things have changed. I'm now deciding on a B2B on the Allure or Freedom or combing RCL with Disney. Originally, I had a friend with her 2 kids coming with me, but she had to back out, so my DH is coming on the 1st cruise and the 2nd one I will be alone with my 2 boys (I've cruised alone before with them, but never on RCL only DCL)

I loved the idea of trying 2 RCL ships, but I think driving from FLL to PC might be a bit much.

One thing I was considering was either doing the Freedom for 1 week out of PC with the kids and DH, and then do the 7 night on the Magic (Disney) out of PC (it's a 4 then 3 night) I've done 11 Disney cruises, so I know Disney very well. My one concern is, the Freedom and the Magic leave on the same day, so I would literally walk off the Freedom, and then get on the Magic. Do you think this is cutting it too close?

Or I stay on RCL and do the Allure or Freedom B2B. What one would be better for 2 weeks, and what ship would you sail if you were cruising alone with 2 kids for the 1 week. This will be my first ever RCL cruise, so I'm wondering if 2 weeks is too much for my first time on a new ship.

I'm going crazy and driving myself nuts trying to figure it out lol!!!

Please help!

I would do Allure back to back- there is just sooo much to do on the big ships- the pools alone (if your boys are into swimming) are fantastic- our kids never wanted to leave. I wouldn't want the hassle of packing up in the middle, that sort of thing. We would have loved another week on Oasis to really check things out and not feel rushed

My boys LOVE to swim! On sea days we live at the pools.

What's the difference between the Freedom pools and the Allure pools?

Also, do you happen to know if they have the "self check out" at the club for kids ages 8 and up? They have it on DCL and my son loves it!

Are the rooms generally similar on the 2 ships? We always get a balcony room overlooking the ocean, but I was thinking of trying the Boardwalk balcony rooms. They look pretty cool!

My boys LOVE to swim! On sea days we live at the pools.

What's the difference between the Freedom pools and the Allure pools?

Also, do you happen to know if they have the "self check out" at the club for kids ages 8 and up? They have it on DCL and my son loves it!

Are the rooms generally similar on the 2 ships? We always get a balcony room overlooking the ocean, but I was thinking of trying the Boardwalk balcony rooms. They look pretty cool!

You'd have to compare them, and someone who has been on more recently will hopefully chime in, but I remember a lazy river type pool that DD loved, and a couple others, when we were on Freedom it was just DH and I and we stuck mostly to the adults pool so can't quite remember.

I think they had self check out yes, we had a central park balcony on Oasis- we enjoyed it in the evenings- when DD was in bed (the nights she wasn't in the clubs till late! after the first night or 2 we let her stay till late) we loved sitting on the balcony- it was so quiet and often live piano or violin music. We found our balcony on Fantasy was too windy (may have just been our cruise I'm not sure) in the evenings and on Freedom we had an interior.

I think both ships have the "lazy river" pool, but it's more just a circular pool (about the size of a large hot tub) with circulating water. It's not a "lazy river" like you'd see at a water park. I agree Allure will have more to do, but not a lot. Have you looked at flight prices/times? Flying to Orlando/Melboure/Daytona vs. Miami/Lauderdale/W. Palm may be enough of a price difference to help you choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter