FREE trip to Disney but at Swan and Dolphin

veraletta

DIS Veteran
My husband is getting a free Disney trip, Well kind of free
He has to work while there, He is Pres. of his union and they are meeting in July 2006.
but we can go for a week free.
I'm worried about staying at the Swan or Dolphin.
The resort seems like its nice and much better than we had ever stayed at.
we had only stayed at All Stars Music Resort and Coronado Springs Resort.
My favorite is Coronado Springs but I also enjoy Music.
I'm not really hard to please.
I'm worried about the mold in rooms at resort.
I'm worried about feeling out of place at S/D.

Please help me feel good about staying at S/D.
Tell me what there is to like about S/D.
I feel like I'm going to feel out of place because its not Disney and also
the resort looks like it has a rich feel to it.
Lita

I dunno....free would have me feeling quite warm and fuzzy about the place. I like the Swan Dolphin. I've heard the beds are quite lovely and comfy there. I'm not sure why you are worried about mold there specifically. I enjoy meandering through for a change of pace and the pool area is quite lovely.

Don't worry, don't worry, don't worry. Go, enjoy, and have fun!

FREE? I wouldn't even think twice!!! Go for it & have fun.

veraletta said:
My husband is getting a free Disney trip, Well kind of free
He has to work while there, He is Pres. of his union and they are meeting in July 2006.
but we can go for a week free.
I'm worried about staying at the Swan or Dolphin.
The resort seems like its nice and much better than we had ever stayed at.
we had only stayed at All Stars Music Resort and Coronado Springs Resort.
My favorite is Coronado Springs but I also enjoy Music.
I'm not really hard to please.
I'm worried about the mold in rooms at resort.
I'm worried about feeling out of place at S/D.

Lita

Since he's the president, they'll probably comp him a nice suite or at least a room with a view. You can take a water taxi from there to Epcot or MGM, also. I bet it will be the best trip, yet.

We stayed at the Dolphin- if there was mold there I didn't see it, and I am allergic so would have noticed something. You won't feel a bit out of place, and besides it is next to YC/BC and Boardwalk. We loved being able to walk to Epcot and to boat or walk to MGM. They are great places to stay- good restaurants both in the resorts and in that whole area. Go, and have a wonderful time!

Do a search here on the resort forum, and you will feel much better!!

Do know they charge for parking, a resort fee... not sure if either of those would be comped - but bottom line Swan and Dolphin are at the Epcot Resort area, and that is luxury to me!! Heavenly beds!!! I think you couldnt ask for a better "free" experience!!

Enjoy - I love WDW, I'm addicted, but I wouldnt mind a free trip on the Swan or Dolphin!!

also check out thier website - The Swan and Dolphin are Sheraton and Westin resorts which is run by the Starwood Group. The land still belongs to Disney and is leased to them.

(no mickey wake up calls - not a big deal and no magical express - but again, you going free!!)

A free trip is incredible and the Swan and Dolphin are great resorts! We have stayed at the Dolphin and did not feel we were ever missing out any Disney Magic. In fact, the staff was more friendly and more service oriented than the true Disney resorts. The beds are incredible and the rooms are a great size, much larger than you have had in the past. The location in great being so close to Epcot, Boardwalk and MGM. Be sure to join SPG.com to become a Starwood Preferred Member. THis can help get an upgrade to a balcony room and/or a view of Epcot. Trust me, you will LOVE the S & D!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a great time.

The resort fee has been eliminated. I have also read the "mold" reports...but that sure hasn't been my experience, and I stayed at the Swan/Dolphin 15 days in 2005. The heavenly beds are wonderful, as is the close proximity to the Boardwalk, Epcot and MGM. Enjoy your FREE stay at the Swan or Dolphin!

Thanks to all, I'm starting to feel better, that most of you enjoyed S/D.
I hope that we will enjoy our trip at S/D.
I know the union mostly uses Westin resorts by the Starwood, and they have all been nice and pricey.Which doesnt matter about the price as its alway free.
I'm just scared off by most people have been posting about Mold at the S/D.
As this would be hard on my grandson and me as we are both are allergic to mold and we both have asthma.
I plan on taking my daughter, and grandson, with me so I have someone to do stuff with, while my husband is in meeting all day long.
We have been spoiled with staying on the park at Disney, that I now worry about ever enjoying going to disney with out stay at Disney Resort.
Sounds silly I know, but I love Disney resorts, even the cheap ones.
Lita

I didn't see any mold at the Swan.

Remember if you have a car there is an $8 per day (plus tax) parking fee. Maybe the union will pay for that, too.

OH NO, a free stay at the S/D, what an awful thing!! Oh no, I'd stay at a value resort or a moderate resort and pay before I'd accept a free trip at a wonderful deluxe resort like the S/D, heavenly beds, deluxe accomodations, watching Illuminations and maybe even Fantasmic from my balcony... awesome cast members, excellent service, great restaurants, amazing conveniences, etc, etc.

Yeap, I'd definitely feel out of place when I look out my window and see Spaceship Earth and the BW or BC or YC or Dolphin or Swan (depending on which one I'm staying at) or even TOT at MGM..I'd definitely rather pay to stay at a value or moderate so I can stay in a motel-like (flamers go ahead:-) resort that's far from everything and you have to bus to everything than stay in a resort where I can walk to 2 parks or take the boat!!

Forgive my sarcasm, I just don't understand what there is to be afraid of. IF it were me and I won a free trip to stay at All-Stars, then I'd be afraid, very afraid.

veraletta said:
We have been spoiled with staying on the park at Disney, that I now worry about ever enjoying going to disney with out stay at Disney Resort.
Sounds silly I know, but I love Disney resorts, even the cheap ones.
Lita

Staying at the Swan or Dolphin is (IMO) FAR better than staying at All Stars or CSR!!! :) Yes, they aren't 'technically' Disney, but you are right next to the YC/BC. This is a wonderful location ~~ walk or take the Friendship Boats to MGM and Epcot. Enjoy the Boardwalk area. You'll love it there ...
and you sure can't beat free. Have a wonderful trip :)

Another positive reply here - we came home a couple of weeks ago following our holidayin Florida. We couldn't get the night of the 4/12 at any delux resort except the Dolphin and i too was worried - totally unfounded. A lovely hotel, VERY comfy bed, a fantastic location and a great pool area. Oh and the best pizza i've tasted for a long time at Tubbis. Was lucky enough to get the nurses rate and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. To get it for free is just fantastic. Enjoy

Don't worry about feeling out of place. We are definately not "deluxe" people in the real world, but with the great govt' rates and spg points the Swan is currently our first choice when travelling to disney. Keep in mind that with all the "special rates" that S/D offer and the number of conventions that are held there, alot of the guests there are not regular luxury hotel visitors. Though you may see some unusual things.......on our last visit there was a group at Tubbi's having cereal and wine(no, they didn't pour the wine on the cereal ;) for breakfast. My kinda people!!!!!

LEO_Magic said:
FREE? I wouldn't even think twice!!! Go for it & have fun.

ME TOO!

One thing to think about if you are concerned about "not fitting in," DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!! The other people have no idea how much you have, and I know people who look like they have nothing, but are L_O_A_D_E_D! Likewise, I know people who look "high dollar," but have zip.

Have fun, and enjoy your trip!

Verallta - I'll try to make you feel more excited. The D/S is a very nice place to stay from what I've heard from friends with kids who have stayed there. I've never stayed there but I am for the 1st time this April for 9 nights. You still get the Disney extra park hours and it's a great location and has 17 restaurants and a huge beach and pool area. From what my neighbor told me they would staty there in a minute with their 7 year old daughter again. They told me the location is tough to beat. It's a short walk to the Boardwalk, MGM and Epcot or you can use the ferry boat to the MGM or Epcot. You can see Epcot's fireworks at night from the D/S and it's a gorgeous place. My neighbors have stayed at WDW's vlaue and moderate resorts before and said the D/S is much better and offers more. They also have character dinning at the D/S. For a free trip you're getting one hell of a deal. Have fun.

veraletta said:
Lita

When I first read this, I actually thought you were joking! :rotfl2:

Just got back from the Dolphin and it is gorgeous! It is a luxury hotel. The rooms are far larger than AS resorts or CSR (I've stayed there, also), beds are the most comfortable you'll ever sleep on, bathroom area is large and there's a stocked mini-bar as well as terrific room service. I loved the toiletries that they supply... especially created for them and just wonderful!
Next time we go, DD and I are going to make appointments at the spa for a mud bath and massage :cloud9:

The location is superior... being able to take the boat to Epcot and MGM is terrific. And the pool is one of the best at Disney.

There wasn't a hint of mold anywhere... the place was spotless. And I have to say the staff was one of the best I've encountered. Very accomodating and helpful.

On the other hand, ALL types of people stay there, not just rich folks... they offer lots of special rates for teachers, nurses, etc. Along with convention attendees, you see a real mixed group of folks all over the resort. Didn't even occur to me to feel out of place ;)

Why you would be pining for AS's and CSR when you have a FREE stay at S/D is beyond me!!! :rotfl:

And they have an awesome pool. We walked over to the Boardwalk every day. The restaurants are very good. Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter