Free site that will allow photo file transfers between computers?

daileyad

Mouseketeer
Okay, here's what I'm trying to accomplish. Our extended family is spread out all over the country but I want to get pictures from all of them to add to a digital picture frame for my parents. I need high quality photos so I don't want to go the email route since that could take forever. Asking them to burn photos to a cd seems like too much work for them and they might not have the technical know-how to do it. So is there some sort of free site I can use that would allow them to upload high resolution pictures and then for me to access them to download to my computer. And we would prefer that they not be on a publicly accessible site. Any ideas :confused3

I have been using dropbox for this exact same reason. Seems to work just fine.

photobucket allows high res pics.

photobucket allows high res pics.
It is my understanding that you can upload high res, but Photobucket will reduce them down to lower resolution so you would be pulling them off at low res.

Don't quote me on that though, that was a hot topic a while ago on the photo forums when they were discussing Photobucket vs. Flickr.

I would do Dropbox. It is the easiest to navigate. Everything can be on the root page and the page is simply built looking more like a file manager rather than the ridiculously busy Photobucket. You can even download the manager and it will sync with a folder on the hard drive of all who install it linked to the same account.

Thanks guys! I'll give drop box a try. If they make them into low res then I'll have to try one of the other suggestions.

Check the screen resolution of the digital picture frame you've got, and don't go much larger than that with the photos and you'll get the best results.

Even a huge, higher quality 18" frame will usually have a resolution of 1366 x 768 so there's no reason for people to send you raw or tiff images when 1800x will be more than adequate.

I think most non-tech-savvy people can email photos or burn them to a CD. Using online photo hosting is slightly more complex, and Dropbox more so.

I'd ask people what technology they are most comfortable using and have them use it. You're already asking them for a favor, so I'd try to make it as painless as possible!

I did this for my mom a few years ago for Christmas, it's the one present I've given her that she still uses (and enjoys) every day. It's a wonderful gift!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter