"Free" Parking - Anyone Ever Do This?

It's not about $14,it's about the big picture. Saving $100 here and there adds up. I would just park at dtd.

I don't condone cheating, but what is wrong with wanting to save between $50 and $100 if they can? It is not $14, it's $14 x 5, 6, or 7 for a lot of people. If you can park for free legally, then why not? If they have to pay to park, then they're obviously staying offsite, which may be because they can't afford to stay onsite. I stay onsite, but don't look down on those that don't or can't financially afford to.

Oh I don't know, maybe because a vacation isn't a right. Most people save to go on vacation and just because some don't WANT to pay to park doesn't give them the right to not. I'm sorry. I don't get this mentality of right to vacation. We went to WDW twice when our boys were growing up because that's all we could really afford for most of those years. I never looked to get around the system. We waited (it's called delayed gratification) until we could afford the vacation we wanted. Geez.

BTW, who said it's "legal"?

I don't condone cheating, but what is wrong with wanting to save between $50 and $100 if they can? It is not $14, it's $14 x 5, 6, or 7 for a lot of people. If you can park for free legally, then why not? If they have to pay to park, then they're obviously staying offsite, which may be because they can't afford to stay onsite. I stay onsite, but don't look down on those that don't or can't financially afford to.

Because those lots are for the resort guest. You know the ones paying to stay there not off site. If you think there is nothing wrong with it then just ask Disney.

Denise in MI

Really, I see no issue. There is nothing that says people cannot park there. Given the people utilizing this spot will most likely be staying off site, and parking is a cost that adds up quickly. Disney is very expensive, and many people do have budgets. This could be the equivalent to a couple souvenirs for their kids.

How about the sign that say resort guest parking.

Denise in MI

We've already discussed this exact same thing here. OP please utilize the search function - threads like this do absolutely nothing other than spark heated debates and flaming.

I hope mods shut this down soon since this conversation ran it's course a couple of weeks ago.

It's not about $14,it's about the big picture. Saving $100 here and there adds up. I would just park at dtd.

Seriously? This has been addressed in another thread. Besides the fact the buses don't run til at least 10, it could easily take over an hour and a half to two hours to do this. The cost of hours missed is easily more than the $14 to park. Some people are so cheap and they'll never realize they're not saving anything by trying to cheat the system.

I purchased a submarine car so we can hide it at the bottom of Bay Lake. We scuba to Fort Wilderness, eat at Trail's end and take a moment to fill our pockets with exta fried chicken to eat in the parks. We then make sure to get a guest assistance card we don't need and go on every ride in all four parks on a one day parkhopper.

It's the only way to Dis.

Well, you'd better not bring your refillable resort mugs from previous trips, cause that would just be wrong. Someone pass the popcorn. popcorn::

Because those lots are for the resort guest. You know the ones paying to stay there not off site. If you think there is nothing wrong with it then just ask Disney.

Denise in MI

What part of "if they can", "I don't condone cheating" and the word "LEGALLY" do you not understand? I never suggested anyone do anything wrong. I simply spoke on the term "really cheap".

Oh I don't know, maybe because a vacation isn't a right. Most people save to go on vacation and just because some don't WANT to pay to park doesn't give them the right to not. I'm sorry. I don't get this mentality of right to vacation. We went to WDW twice when our boys were growing up because that's all we could really afford for most of those years. I never looked to get around the system. We waited (it's called delayed gratification) until we could afford the vacation we wanted. Geez.

BTW, who said it's "legal"?

:confused3 Who said what is legal? I spoke about legally saving money on parking, no particular way to do it. I replied to a specific poster, not the overflow parking.

I know the lot they are discussing. We have parked there before, when going to the Boardwalk for lunch. It's what it's there for... offsite guests who are going to the Boardwalk. I asked the attendant if we should come back and move the car if we wanted to go into Epcot and he said don't bother. This is also the lot we were directed to when we were meeting friends who were staying at the BWI. The valet guys at BWI directed us to this lot... after I told them we were meeting friends at the BWI for lunch and then to MGM (at the time.. now DS) for the afternoon, and asked if we would be able to move the car. The valet told us don't bother, take the boat over to MGM. SO... maybe this is only a huge issue here on the DISboard?

Has anyone here ever done this? I wasn't aware that any resorts had "overflow" lots, and in any case the resorts generally have security gates controlling access to the parking lot.
Yes, I've parked there but I was staying at the Boardwalk. That lot is also used for people who are visiting the Boardwalk area itself when the main lot is fuller.

FWIW, I agree with most of the rest of the article. Except the part of not taking a break. Our family needs to take a break back at the resort or my DH and DD become extra grumpy.

There will always be cheaters, but I am somewhat worried (as a BWV DVC member) that this suggestion was made in such a matter the fact way on a very popular website. I think that many of people will take that suggestion to heart without thinking that they are doing anything wrong. After all, it was on the Today Show's website!

But $14 is about 1/5 of the way for drinking around the world! ;):lmao:

The only time I have ever seen anyone park there is during the busy times like New Years Eve and when Epcot has the Food & Wine Festival, because they want to reserve the Boardwalk parking lot for guests staying at the Inn and Villas sections.

The Wedding Pavilion... Why didn't I think of that one? Truthfully, we always stay on property, we have APs and we are DVC members. So our parking is always free.

That said, last trip down was in December 2010 and we didn't get asked to pay for parking a single time. We only drove into MK twice and AK once. But we were never asked to pay. Waved us right on through.

Seriously? This has been addressed in another thread. Besides the fact the buses don't run til at least 10, it could easily take over an hour and a half to two hours to do this. The cost of hours missed is easily more than the $14 to park. Some people are so cheap and they'll never realize they're not saving anything by trying to cheat the system.

Fyi, the buses start at 830,transfering to a park is well under an hour . Also not everyone cares about being at the park for rope drop. This thread is just full of rude comments,

I purchased a submarine car so we can hide it at the bottom of Bay Lake. We scuba to Fort Wilderness, eat at Trail's end and take a moment to fill our pockets with exta fried chicken to eat in the parks. We then make sure to get a guest assistance card we don't need and go on every ride in all four parks on a one day parkhopper.

It's the only way to Dis.

I actually laughed out loud reading this--thanks for the chuckle!

I know the lot they are discussing. We have parked there before, when going to the Boardwalk for lunch. It's what it's there for... offsite guests who are going to the Boardwalk. I asked the attendant if we should come back and move the car if we wanted to go into Epcot and he said don't bother. This is also the lot we were directed to when we were meeting friends who were staying at the BWI. The valet guys at BWI directed us to this lot... after I told them we were meeting friends at the BWI for lunch and then to MGM (at the time.. now DS) for the afternoon, and asked if we would be able to move the car. The valet told us don't bother, take the boat over to MGM. SO... maybe this is only a huge issue here on the DISboard?

The red part is were you are wrong.
Off site guests do not exist, a person is either a hotel guests and the rest are visitors.
The parking lots at the resorts are for paying resort guests and not for visitors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter