• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Microsoft Word site?

I need Microsoft Word on my laptop and I found this free site below. Anyone know if its legit? Or do you know of a legit free site to download it? Is it legal to get it for free?????

TIA

http://gofree.com/download/Windows-...abiworld.php?gclid=CPPSmtmIiagCFcJx5QodTCdCtA

Yes ,but it is not Microsoft word it's AbiWord a free word processing software.

Here is a list of free office like software.

Microsoft Office may be the most popular office productivity suite currently on the market, but don’t expect this to last forever considering the slew of new, web-based, and open-source alternatives coming every day. Recently, in only the last 2 to 3 years, not only has the number of MS Office competitors grown significantly, but also the quality of these products has increased immeasurably. The best part about these new office alternatives is that they are completely FREE and they work with Microsoft Office, so if you or your company are locked into Office currently, you can integrate open-source software into your systems slowly and carefully. If you’re a consumer, you can now create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the fly, access them from anywhere, and open them in MS Office for compatibility purposes.
Here’s a list of six of the most popular alternative office productivity suites out there today:
Online Office Software
google-docs-logo-thumb.png
1. Google Docs – This is probably the most heard of Office competitor that most people already know about. Google Docs is completely online and includes a web-based Word Processor, Spreadsheet application, and a Presentation app. More on Google Docs features (incl. introduction video).
soho-thumb.png
2. Zoho – Zoho is probably the best online office productivity suite with not only word processor, spreadsheet and presentation apps, but also includes online project management, CRM solutions, web conferencing, online database with reports, online planner, group chat, wiki, and lots more. It also includes a plug-in for MS Office so you can work both online or offline. Learn more about Zoho.
thinkfree-thumb.png
3.Thinkfree – Thinkfree claims to have the best integration with Microsoft Office. Also, the interface for each app is very similar to MS Office including the toolbars, icons, and functions. Thinkfree also has advanced collaboration features such that users can share, edit, and contribute their ideas remotely. More on Thinkfree (incl. video demos and screenshot).
Downloadable Office Software
staroffice-thumb.png
5.StarOffice – StarOffice is from Sun Microsystems and has recently been released under the Google Pack as a free download. StarOffice runs on Windows, Linux, and Solaris systems. You’ll have to download OpenOffice if you want it for the Mac.
ibm-symphony-thumb.png
4. IBM Lotus Symphony – IBM Lotus Symphony is a direct competitor to the Microsoft Office suite because it is also a desktop application aimed at individuals and businesses. The suite consists of Symphony Documents, Symphony Presentations, and Symphony Spreadsheets. I wrote about it before, so if interested check out my IBM Symphony review.
openoffice-thumb.png
6. OpenOffice – OpenOffice is a multi-platform (Win, Mac, Linux) and multi-lingual office suite which is compatible with all major office suites (i.e. Microsoft Office). It includes Writer (word processing), Impress (presentation), Math, Draw, Calc (spreadsheet), and Base applications. IBM Lotus Symphony and StarOffice are both based on the code from OpenOffice.

I use OpenOffice and really like it. I've had no problems converting my Office docs in it. They are very similar programs.

Another vote for Open Office - www.openoffice.org

You can get the whole "office suite" from Open Office. Their version of Word and Excel are near identical to Microsoft's.

I have a few issues converting back and forth from Mac to Windows files when collaborating on PowerPoint presentations, but nothing major.

Also, I haven't been able to figure out a few quirks in their version of Access.

Another vote for Open Office. We use it on my PC based laptop and I've been able to submit documents to professors in it without any issues.

If you want a free version of Office, use the real deal. Office has been available on the web for awhile now. Limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. It has the same ribbon interface as the standalone product but with fewer options. Go to office.live.com. You will need a Windows Live ID to start using it as it stores your files online for you with 5GB of storage space free.

OpenOffice is what I use on my netbook since it only came with a 30 day free trial of Microsoft Office. Like PPs have said it works great and is completely compatible with Microsoft Office.

Unless you are taking a Microsoft Office class in school I don't see any reason to spend the money to get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter