Free Lodging for Family

Lodging For Family

• Our vacation points are just for us

• We regularly give out free lodging

• They can come with us but they have to rent points

• They can sleep on the floor

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess I am the odd stingy one. But then we bought into DVC to gaurantee that we would get the heck away from family every Christmas. We don't speak to my MIL and SIL. DH's father is a workaholic and vacation is not in his vocabulary and to take my family would NOT be fun. Plus we can only vacation at Christmas so I couldn't take my parents and my 3 young,14,9, and 5 yo siblings because I would be taking them away from my older siblings with kids and well we don't get along at all either so its not like I would invite them.
I know way more info then you wanted BUT I am 31 with 3 kids a wonderful husband and a successful business. We have worked our butts off and sacrificed a ton to be where we are today and honestly family expects way too much from us as is. We are the only responsible ones in either of our families. If I open the door to invites they will come crashing in with their hands out for more and expect me to foot hte bill for everything because I can. So I will keep it less complicated and use my points to make sure my kids have a great time.

I voted regularly in the poll. But in reality, it depends upon the purpose of the trip. I have probably upgraded to a larger room on 2 out of 4 trips so far (counting my up coming December trip which is solo). Now my trip next year won't be upgraded (I'm taking my nephew) and most likely my 2011 trip won't be either when I take my niece. So my stat's will be changing over the next couple of years.

we have taken family for disney trips in the past and we weren't even DVC members then.... now that we are it makes it easier to do a 2br or treehouse opposed to renting 2 or 3 rooms....

We gave away a short stay in a studio once. Last Thanksgiving we hosted my family at SSR and this Thanksgiving we are hosting my wife's family at the THV. We have tentative plans for hosting friends for a week during summer 2011.

I voted 'other' because we took family with us on our last trip and stayed in a 2-bed but we would have had to stay in a 2-bed anyway because of our family size. However, we have booked a 1-night stay at BLT for the end of our October trip and used our points to get an extra room for the friends we are travelling with. They rented points for the first 10 nights, which were transferred to our account, but the points didn't cover the accommodation we ended up booking. I wouldn't dream of asking them to contribute extra though.

I voted 'other'. I have gone with close friends who would not allow me to 'treat' them. So I had to figure out what the cost would be based on $10 a point for her room.
But, I like to take friends along and have them not pay towards the room. For instance, I usually get a studio for myself or myself and my dd. But, I'm headed down in Dec and taking a friend with me. She hasn't been to WDW in about 12 years. I'll be getting a one bedroom villa at BW. She asked how much she owed me for the room, I told her nothing, it was taken care of. I am not going to nickel and dime my friends. Now, I'm sure she will buy drinks or something along the way, which is fine.

We have always shared our DVC with friends and family. We've been fortunate to host 3 family reunions, all in OKW GV's, and only through DVC could I have afforded such wonderful accomodations, truly fabulous. When I offer to share there is never an expectation of any kind of compensation but most friends and family show their appreciation by buying food or a dinner here and there. The flexibility of DVC is what makes it work, you reserve what you need to suit your party size!

Last month we made our first trip as DVC members and we used our points to get a 2br at SSR for my family and my sister's family and a separate studio for my dad. It was great to have a family reunion at Disney and I was happy to be able to provide the group with the rooms.

I voted that I give them out, but that is oly if I invited them. If they want to invite themselves to go with me or ask me to provide a room when I'm not there, they will be paying the $10 a point. I also will not borrow from the next use year to do it. I have to have current points available. I have rented points to my friends and it worked out well and when my MIL told me she wanted to go this coming January and I have no points left in this use year (1 bed to a 2 bed) I told her we could rent some from someone and have them transfered or buy some to use each time, she bought 50 to add to our pot on the basis that I book a room big enough for her to go ever time the family goes.

I like to think of DVC as our vacation "home" - for us to enjoy and also share with family and friends. We have hosted many family members and friends since becoming members. Having traveled to WDW so many times, bringing family members and friends is a great way to enhance a trip - make it more special, unique and memorable. I really think I get more enjoyment out of these invitations than my guests!! It's a win-win.

I guess I am the odd stingy one. But then we bought into DVC to gaurantee that we would get the heck away from family every Christmas. We don't speak to my MIL and SIL. DH's father is a workaholic and vacation is not in his vocabulary and to take my family would NOT be fun. Plus we can only vacation at Christmas so I couldn't take my parents and my 3 young,14,9, and 5 yo siblings because I would be taking them away from my older siblings with kids and well we don't get along at all either so its not like I would invite them.
I know way more info then you wanted BUT I am 31 with 3 kids a wonderful husband and a successful business. We have worked our butts off and sacrificed a ton to be where we are today and honestly family expects way too much from us as is. We are the only responsible ones in either of our families. If I open the door to invites they will come crashing in with their hands out for more and expect me to foot hte bill for everything because I can. So I will keep it less complicated and use my points to make sure my kids have a great time.

Nothing wrong with that. We all have different stories. I would never take my FiL back to Disney. We took him in 2002 and he complained the entire time. So it is not like I offer free lodging to all family.

Our points are for us first and if we can take family and it makes our trip nicer we do otherwise they can take care of their own vacation.

"Other"

We have one account with DVC, however, I only own about 60% of the points, with my mom and sister owning about 20% each. We all generally use our own points for visits, and bank & borrow with each other before 'officially' banking/borrowing through Disney. When we go down together, we work out some agreement on splitting the cost. Sometimes evenly, sometimes by percentages. But also, sometimes my mom gives my other sister her points to visit.

"Other"

We have one account with DVC, however, I only own about 60% of the points, with my mom and sister owning about 20% each. We all generally use our own points for visits, and bank & borrow with each other before 'officially' banking/borrowing through Disney. When we go down together, we work out some agreement on splitting the cost. Sometimes evenly, sometimes by percentages. But also, sometimes my mom gives my other sister her points to visit.

That sounds complicated but whatever works for you.

Ok, I admit it, I am stingy with my points also. Actually, at this point, the only people even aware that we own DVC are just DH and I. (No flames please.) This is for two reasons - 1) we are verrrry private about our financial decisions and 2) it would cause a world of issues on both sides of our family.

My DMIL owns 12, yes 12, weeks in another timeshare in Orlando that we have no interest in. She is very proud of her purchase and sees it as a legacy for her kids and grandkids. She would be extremely hurt that we chose to purchase elsewhere. We have learned on several occasions that we and DBIL do NOT travel well together as well.

Family pettiness on my side would make it a nightmare of "you invited them but not us" or "you invited them first you must love them the most." It is just not worth going there. We purchased enough points to stay in a 1-BR for a week each year, so there is not a whole lot to share anyways.

Now, I may repent and invite someone in the future, but for now I am enjoying every point that I can use.

I voted other. We have taken a variety of DVC trips since we became members. On our first trip ever in 2002 our kids were 7, 4 and 1. We could have gotten away with a 1BR but we invited my MIL to come with us so we got a 2BR. We banked our first years points knowing this was what we wanted to do. In the fall of 2005 we booked another 2BR. My niece and her 2 kids joined us on this trip so we again planned ahead to have points available to do this. With the number of points we own we will continue to invite certain people to stay with us but I doubt that we would ever book accomodations for others to stay if we weren't going to be there also.

I've taken my parents to Disney five times (four using DVC). We have always paid for their room and meals. I can't even imagine asking my parents to pay.

Now my brother....... he can get his OWN points!:rotfl::rotfl:

We're fortunate enough to be able to invite family and friends to visit with us (although not every time). It's really fun to see the sites through new eyes. We'll continue to invite guests until grandchildren come along. Hopefully by then the brother/sister and in-laws will have "seen the light" and will own their own DVC contracts for extended vacations/reunions. As we live 400 miles away from our families, DVC has allowed us to share great times! We only wish we had become members sooner!

Ok, I admit it, I am stingy with my points also. Actually, at this point, the only people even aware that we own DVC are just DH and I. (No flames please.) This is for two reasons - 1) we are verrrry private about our financial decisions and 2) it would cause a world of issues on both sides of our family.

My DMIL owns 12, yes 12, weeks in another timeshare in Orlando that we have no interest in. She is very proud of her purchase and sees it as a legacy for her kids and grandkids. She would be extremely hurt that we chose to purchase elsewhere. We have learned on several occasions that we and DBIL do NOT travel well together as well.

Family pettiness on my side would make it a nightmare of "you invited them but not us" or "you invited them first you must love them the most." It is just not worth going there. We purchased enough points to stay in a 1-BR for a week each year, so there is not a whole lot to share anyways.

Now, I may repent and invite someone in the future, but for now I am enjoying every point that I can use.

I can definitely see your point! I have been lucky that my sisters are afraid of imposing on me so that I actually have to encourage them to come with me and also we vacation well together. OK to me honest we vacation well with each other within reason. I usually have a solo trip planned that I can look forward to so that when I invite my sisters or take their kids I can focus the trip on them. But if they gave me any grief what so ever, I would be in the place you are. The only difficult person that I have to deal with is my mother who wants me to take her but is too ill to travel plus (more importantly) is a pain in the you know what.

We have taken family with us quite a few times but I have never given away the points without us being part of the travel party. We have taken my DM and DF to WDW, HHI and even an exchange we made with II to Las Vegas. We have also taken my DB and DSIL to WDW and HHI. We have also allowed our DD to take a friend with her a few times. Once to WDW, once to HHI and believe it or not, once she even took a friend on a DCL Members cruise in 2005.

Even though I think we have been very generous with our points there are many times we prefer to just vacation with our family (which includes DH and DD).

It is funny how people vacation differently. There are people who vacation just like us and many that do not. As with all of us, our vacation time is precious and we don't want to feel it was not the best time it could have been. Therefore, we do limit how many times and who we take with us.

Our points are just for us. My sister is the "Trip Killer" and no way would DH even consider taking his sister's family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter